Thread: sc_royals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post sc_royals (beta)

Hey!

This is my first map and I'm sorry for posting it in this condition. I got some small problems in it and I really don't know how to fix them, so I hope you guys can help me out.

I actually have 4 maps now (sc_royals1, sc_royals2, sc_royals3 and sc_royals4) because I had to divide the original map.

The maps are about Egypt. Unfortunately I was in the half way doing them when I heard that the idea had already been used. However, I still decided to finish this project even if it isn't so original anymore.

------

In the first and the 2nd map your task is to make your way through all the enemies and find the four pyramidbuttons to gain access to The Pyramid. In sc_royals4 you will go into the pyramid and kill the pharaoh.

After pressing each pyramidbutton you should see a short video of a triangle getting to its place above the gate at the respawn. You can see the team's progress from those triangles.

You can find more info about the maps from the txt. files.

------

Screenshots:
    (try copy-pasting the links if they're not working)

SC_ROYALS1 AND 2:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...c_royals1a.jpg
    http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...c_royals1b.jpg
    http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...c_royals1c.jpg

SC_ROYALS3 AND 4:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...c_royals2a.jpg
    http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...c_royals2b.jpg
    http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...c_royals2c.jpg

------

VERSION 2:

- Made small changes to the respawn areas in both maps.
    - Mapchange in the first map should work now. After pressing each button and killing the mummies at start you need to touch the gate to change to the next map.
    - All leaf portal saw into leaf errors fixed.
    - The alien slave in the 2nd map's start video has one new animation.
    - Fixed the pyramid's texture.
    - Skybrushes between the pyramid and respawn removed.

------

VERSION 3:

- Split both maps in 2, there are 4 maps now. Sc_royals3 includes the sphinx area. The area has a new meaning now, this adds a bit variety to the maps. In the end of the 2nd and the 3rd map you need to touch the gate to continue.
    - Fixed the long "Precaching resources..." -loading time, or atleast I'm not having it anymore (I still had it with the new 4th map). To fix it I had to remove 2 Pharaoh's sounds but you won't prolly even notice the difference with the sounds. This might fix crash problems.
    - Edited the alien-glasstube-room in the human grunt base. This might fix crash problems too.
    - Gonomes eat now!
    - Fixed pyramid's structure. Outside looks better.
    - Replaced one texture (xen).
    - The fight after four pyramidbuttons is a bit more interesting now. No tons of mummies.
    - Added detail, detail and detail (mostly in the human grunts' area).
    - Fixed small aesthetic bugs.
    - Alienattacks at the gate while finding buttons are working correctly now.
    - Added 1 secret to the first map.
    - The "Believe..." abyss is a cave now. It's darker, though it's not so Indiana Jones -like anymore.
    - Changed the place of the key that opens the door to The Golden Tombs.
    - Edited the alien controller attack in front of the pyramid a bit.
    - Took sc_royals.wad off the zip file. It should be wadincluded in the maps.
    - Edited txt. files.

------

VERSION 4:

- deleted lots of info_nodes.
    - added res files to zip.
    - added sc_royals4.nod and sc_royals4.nrp to the zip file. These files should fix the "Queue is full!" error. They will go automatically to the right place.
    - replaced the freaking alien slave in the glasstube with a head crab. Dunno about this, hope it works.

------

VERSION 5 (FINAL):

- Game end works in the last map now.
    - Made the doors in the first map's gruntbase a bit higher and wider.
    - Pharaoh's bodyguards are stronger.
    - All mummies instant kill (Pharaoh and his bodyguards too).
    - Fixed a visibility bug in map 2.
    - Added some ambience sounds.

------

UPDATE:

- Made the vine (number 2 in JPolito's pic) a func_illusionary. This means you don't have to jump on the brick on the other side (number 1) at all, but I don't think it actually matters that much.
    - Raised the platform (number 3) a bit so that the ichys aren't so likely to jump and bite you.
    - Added the MOTD files to map 1, 2 and 4.
    - Added 1 more ambience sound to map 2.

------

LINKS TO DOWNLOAD:

[Download URLs Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]

------

About the problems:

sc_royals1 and 2:

- At one part of the map you will see 3 gonomes in a hallway around a body. They should be eating the body but the scripted_sequence doesn't seem to work. I'm probably doing something wrong. Can someone give me proper settings for the sequence? I would want them to eat the body untill you shoot at them. I don't want them to stop sooner. (FIXED)

sc_royals3 and 4:

- When you try go out the gate at the start you will see a small video of an alien slave tickling Crazy Barney. If you shoot before the sequence Barney turns to face you and looks into wrong direction when the sequence starts. I tried to get him to idle to the right direction but it didn't seem to work, he still turned when i shot. Is there another way to stop him turning or should i just keep trying to get him to idle? I probably did something wrong with the idling sequence. (NOT FIXED)

- The alien in the sequence is actually missing one small animation but i think i got it fixed. I haven't compiled the new version yet because it takes quite long and I probably need to make other changes when I get feedback, so I'll change it later. (FIXED)

- I also got that texture bug fixed that you can see in the first sc_royals2 screenie (the pyramid). (FIXED)

- When you walk around the respawn area while looking at the cliffs in the pyramid area, the cliffs wont look very nice. They will disappear and blink and stuff like that. I got a skybrush between those 2 areas because i didnt want the game to draw the pyramid (and the area) from too far away and cause lag. I noticed the skybrush stops the pyramid from being seen from the respawn. Heh, that's probably very wrong, and please correct me. It's probably the skybrush that causes the cliffbug, so should I just take it off or keep there or what? (FIXED)

- There's one annoying wavebug in the jungle-sphinx area. It can be seen in the water right in front of the sphinx. I really don't know how to fix that. (NOT FIXED)

- Plant models seem to bleed when they are being shot at. I'm not sure if this is normal because I've never seen it before. (NOT FIXED)

I also noticed that epoly and wpoly get a bit high at some parts of both maps. I'm really sorry about that, but I don't know how to fix it without making too big changes.

------

Beta testers: CrouchSoft, Rngatdzs, Robootto
    Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Re: sc_royals (beta)

Quote Originally Posted by LemonSoda
    The maps are about Egypt. Unfortunately I was in the half way doing them when I heard that the idea had already been used. However, I still decided to finish this project even if it isn't so original anymore.
    You must mean sc_egypt...

But dont worry about that, maybe are the idea used before, but that dosnt mean that your map dosnt gonna be good... It looks very nice, so keep it up

Regards
    pcfdo.bat

Manager

Your screenshots don't work.

Try getting an account at Photobucket.com. It's free and you can upload massive quantities of images, where they will stay hosted for the rest of eternity.

Screenshots:
    (try copy-pasting the links if they're not working)
    Regards
    pcfdo.bat

Manager

No seriously, I would just host them somewhere else that actually lets people click on them and see them without the trouble of copying and pasting links.

Thanks JPolito, I updated the links. Hope they work now. I actually found out that you had to copy-paste them after I had put them here and I didn't know another site to put them.

Contributor

Already the best map ive ever played, when i was betatesting through it, realized how extremely big it is

Shots do look nice! Although, I think the pyramid in one of the shots is not that engine friendly.

Level Designer at Streum On Studio Skacky's Avatar

Oh yeah, that looks awesome !
    Downloading
    Visit my website

Level Designer at Streum On Studio : http://eye.streumon-studio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sph!nx
    Although, I think the pyramid in one of the shots is not that engine friendly.
    Yes and I'm also worried about the sphinx in the 2b screenshot.

About your problem with sequence -- try these things:

1) Try putting transparent FUNC_WALL
    2) Try making all with TRIGGER_CAMERA and set flag "FREEZE PLAYER"
    3) Try setting some flags in sequence

About skybrush lag: don't put the SKY block in front of pyramide.
    Just decrease MAX VIEWABLE DISTANCE in MAP PROPERTIES, or even don't change anything --
    people nowadays have powerful videocards
    Was I really that much moron once?

Tester

I will surely test this map later, but from the screenshots it looks already promising
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,
    and told to take no Prisoners.
    Visit http://www.youtube.com/NostalgicGames

Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    About your problem with sequence -- try these things:

1) Try putting transparent FUNC_WALL
    2) Try making all with TRIGGER_CAMERA and set flag "FREEZE PLAYER"
    3) Try setting some flags in sequence

About skybrush lag: don't put the SKY block in front of pyramide.
    Just decrease MAX VIEWABLE DISTANCE in MAP PROPERTIES, or even don't change anything --
    people nowadays have powerful videocards
    I already got a func_wall between the player and Barney, and also the setting "freeze player" on trigger_camera. The players can't shoot Barney, it's just that if you shoot anywhere in the map before seeing the sequence, Barney will turn to face you and looks into wrong direction when the sequence starts.

Barney's flags: gag, prisoner, waitforscript

Ok, I will remove the skybrush. Thank you.

I think you could use another color for the text, it's hard for my eyes
    Be sure to have the Solid render on { texture, and not Texture, because you see bullet impacts like glass on ladders and rails.
    The textures are good used, but the wood from CS isn't good IMO.
    In the first map, there's a cliff and a bottomless pit, just before the last pyramid button. This is WAY too bright, and need to be fixed

Overall cool map, I haven't tested the second totally cause of crash, but I will
    Visit my website

Quote Originally Posted by Skacky
    I think you could use another color for the text, it's hard for my eyes
    It's hard for my eyes too. Tho, I'd like to make the text darker and not to change the color. The problem is, when I try to make it darker the brightness won't change and I'm not sure if changing color would help. It's really annoying when the text comes while you are outside and you can't see it properly because its too bright.

Be sure to have the Solid render on { texture, and not Texture, because you see bullet impacts like glass on ladders and rails.
    I don't know about that because I checked them and they were all set to Solid. I have combined lots of func_walls together to decrease the entity amount so I'm not sure if that could cause the bug.

The textures are good used, but the wood from CS isn't good IMO.
    Never paid attention to that CS texture... Do you have any ideas of a better wood texture?

In the first map, there's a cliff and a bottomless pit, just before the last pyramid button. This is WAY too bright, and need to be fixed
    I'm not sure what place you mean but you probably mean the ceiling in the room after the Blooder-ichytosaurs. There's one hole in the ceiling where you can see the sky. I think I got it fixed.

Oh ya... I hope the crash bug isn't anything serious.

Thank you.

I'm talking about that one
    That's strange for the opaque textures, never seen that before..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc_royals10002.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	12654  
    Visit my website

Quote Originally Posted by Skacky
    I'm talking about that one
    That's strange for the opaque textures, never seen that before..
    Oh, I see. Btw, that's right before the second last button. So you mean the whole area is too bright? I got no light entities there, it's the sky that makes it bright. Is there a way to make a skybrush so that it won't be as bright as the other skybrushes in the map? I am using a light_spot with IS SKY on.

Or then I should just take the skybrushes off and make the area look like a big cave...

The first map crashed every time we entered the room behind the alien slave inside the glasstube & turrets.
    The second map crashed right at the start.
    We didn't try any more then.

Looks very promising and fun from what we were able to see though. lol @ crazy barney.
    But doesn't help if it crashes.
    Last edited by Headcrab57; 10-08-2007 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Headcrab57
    The first map crashed every time we entered the room behind the alien slave inside the glasstube & turrets.
    I used to have a crash problem around there too but I got it fixed when I removed all the human grunts (except the HW) from the gruntbase. It never crashed after that. I have no idea what's going on.

I never had a crash problem with the second map. Although, I got 2 leaf portal saw into leaf errors around the sphinx. Maybe they're causing it. I might get them fixed if i tie the sphinx into a func_wall but I don't know if it will have side affects.
    Last edited by LemonSoda; 13-08-2007 at 12:26 PM.

Manager

Looks like a pretty nice map. I'll try to play tonight before I leave.

Tester

Played the map yesterday with a friend and it was very good.

Neither of the maps crashed when we played, but the second map had a VERY long loading time for me (don't know why)

However we didn't really know what to do after we killed the zombies at the end of the first map

But those a really 2 fun maps with a uniqe setting. Just like sc_egypt this map should be played alone by the fact that is is not another blackmesa map

Wonder what comes next from the community? A greek setting or rome or beyond the time?
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.JC
    Played the map yesterday with a friend and it was very good.

Neither of the maps crashed when we played, but the second map had a VERY long loading time for me (don't know why)

However we didn't really know what to do after we killed the zombies at the end of the first map
    I'm glad you enjoyed them and they didn't crash.

When I try to load the second map it gets stuck to the "Precaching resources..." stage for few mins but starts normally if I just wait.

After killing 35 mummies at the end of the first map (when they start spawning at the start area after you have pressed all the buttons) the map should change to sc_royals2.
    Last edited by LemonSoda; 11-08-2007 at 06:01 AM.

Tester

I'm glad you enjoyed them and they didn't crash.

When I try to load the second map it gets stuck to the "Precaching resources..." stage for few mins but starts normally if I just wait.

After killing 35 mummies at the end of the first map (when they start spawning at the start area after you have pressed all the buttons) the map should change to sc_royals2.

Hmm strange it didn't changed the map, but it could be just a problem for me because the last steam update messed my games up again. Now the language is forced to be english (even if I tell steam to make it german)
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,

It was funny betatesting.. Long and funny + good details and stuff.. Only thing that marvelat that Maybe the bosses should be more bigger and harder.. Indiana Jones parts was really good Great adventure maps..

Quote Originally Posted by Robootto
    Only thing that marvelat that Maybe the bosses should be more bigger and harder..
    Hmm... I will think about that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast