Thread: sc_mazing2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contributor

sc_mazing2008

After almost three years, it's back from the dead! Or well, at least the mummies are...

sc_mazing2008

Notes for Server Admins (Read them, please!)

You need to run the map with maxplayers set to greater than 2. If it's set to 1 or 2, the map will crash, because the "cheat mode" has a lower entity limit for some reason (or creates additional entities). If you really want to play this with maxplayers 1 or 2, I suggest you just remove all the env_sprites with "sprites/sc_mazing2008/fire.spr" as their model using ripent. The torches will look like crap but hey, at least you can play this with maxplayers 1 and 2!

If you create a listenserver starting with this map, the flashlight won't be turned off like it should. There might also be issues executing the skill file of the map properly. These problems are mod related and happen with all maps. If you want to be sure that everything is set up as it should, do a "changelevel sc_mazing2008" after starting your server, and the settings will be read from the correct files.

Download (2.31 MB zipped, extract to your Half-Life folder, the one that contains your SvenCoop folder)

[Download URLs Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]

History (Just skip it if it's boring you)

This is an improved version of the map sc_mazing which I made about three years ago. The map had a sweet idea, but it failed to a few annoying things. First of all, the ending was crap. It was a room with piles of yellow texture (gold lol), and nothing else. Second thing that failed the map were the three different kinds of traps that instantly killed you. The traps also took up so much entities, that it was impossible to make a proper ending for the map. The "mummies" didn't get a proper model replacement either, so they were just those boring scientist zombies from Half-Life.

So I got this great idea: What if I remove the annoying traps, and make a proper ending for the map (and what if I force JJ45 to make a proper mummy model for me, hehe)?

And here's the result!

Description

sc_mazing2008 is a maze map with a randomly chosen route in each game. There are also eight altars inside the maze, of which four are open by random. The goal is to activate those four altars to open the exit door. If you reach the exit room (where the door is located) before the altars are active, you are able to open all the random walls inside the labyrinth by pushing two buttons in that room at the same time (which means you probably need a friend for that). When the walls are open, it's a lot easier to walk around the labyrinth and find the rest of the altars. When you reach the exit room after activating all the four altars, your spawn area changes into that room and you can proceed to the final boss fight. It is a three phase fight, but I won't go into details here. Some things are explained in the game with text messages, and the rest you should be able to figure out yourself!

This is the Message of the Day text file which shows when you connect to a server running this map:
    mapname: sc_mazing2008
    author: A1win
    version: 1.0

Suggested players: 3 to 5
    Estimated time required to finish: 30 minutes to one hour

Objectives:
    1) Find and activate four altars inside the labyrinth to awake an ancient entity.
    2) Reach the exit door and destroy the entity who is waiting for you.

Tips:
    - Staying together helps you to survive longer.
    - Spreading out helps you to find the objectives faster.
    - The Servants of Ra (mummies) keep respawning. Keep your shotgun reloaded.
    - Armor is effective against Gargantua's flamethrower attack. There are lots of armor batteries hidden inside the labyrinth.
    - Reach the exit room with a friend to open all the random walls inside the labyrinth by pushing two buttons.
    - Some walls can be opened as secret doors by using the +use key on them.

Credits:
    - Map and model reskins by A1win
    - New textures by DiCola and JJ45
    - New models and the APC by JJ45
    - Drum sounds by Phatency
    - Beta testers: Chorium, DiCola, eewo, Killari, Phatency, Robootto, sooru

Screenshots

[sc_mazing20080000.jpg] [sc_mazing20080001.jpg] [sc_mazing20080002.jpg] [sc_mazing20080003.jpg]
    [sc_mazing20080004.jpg] [sc_mazing20080005.jpg] [sc_mazing20080006.jpg] [sc_mazing20080007.jpg]
    [sc_mazing20080008.jpg] [sc_mazing20080009.jpg] [sc_mazing20080010.jpg] [sc_mazing20080011.jpg]
    [sc_mazing20080012.jpg] [sc_mazing20080013.jpg] [sc_mazing20080014.jpg]
    Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:37 PM.

more wpoly = more fun Tuesday's Avenger's Avatar  
    Contributor

Re: sc_mazing2008

Very fun, the final fight sequence is great.

Manager

Excellent work. Way better than the previous version. The ending was probably one of the best boss sequences I've ever played.

[Download URLs Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]

Manager

Looks like good stuff, going to give this a spin

got a "NO FREE EDICTS" at the end of the map; it was fun, probably would be more fun with more people. I think the last version had a better first spawn area, maybe you had to replace it cause of map limits though... not a big loss.

Manager

[Download URL Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by SharkMan
    got a "NO FREE EDICTS" at the end of the map
    That's weird... Are you running any addons that create entities during the game?
    Last edited by A1win; 20-01-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Contributor

got a "NO FREE EDICTS" at the end of the map; it was fun, probably would be more fun with more people. I think the last version had a better first spawn area, maybe you had to replace it cause of map limits though... not a big loss.
    hello
    error identical
    reboot client SvenCoop
    ++
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

Contributor

Could you please tell me what addons you are running and when the error happens? Are there lots of snarks running around or anything else that might add to the entity count? How many players are on the server?

If you're running that XP mod thingy or anything, try disabling it. I'm not going to fix this if the only problem is some 3rd party addon.
    Last edited by A1win; 20-01-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Manager

It happened during the final boss battle. A babygarg performed the long-range stomping attack. I think there were only very basic server plugins running, though someone may have died and teleported back or something of that sort. Not sure of all the minor details.

Contributor

I removed some entities from the map and recompiled it. This will hopefully fix the crash bug. The new version has the same file name as the old one. Use only the mirrors in the first post to download the map, some of the other ones aren't updated to the new version yet.

Manager

Just played it with you A1win and Tuesday.. Loads of fun.. good thing all the annoying traps were removed and the final boss battle is a blast! Can't think of any critism or stuff you could change now...

I'd say this is a BOMS map, you guys agree?

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus
    I'd say this is a BOMS map, you guys agree?
    I'd say at least wait a couple of days to see if there are any more ED_ALLOC: No free edicts (entity limit reached) crashes.

I think the last version had a better first spawn area, maybe you had to replace it cause of map limits though... not a big loss.
    I got comments that the start location of the previous version was boring, so I remade it completely. The old version didn't have room for the APC (and I couldn't make it bigger because it's at the edge of the grid >.<), so I had to make the ground wider. I guess I should've done a bit better job with it... If I ever port this for SC 3.5, I'll look into it.
    Last edited by A1win; 20-01-2008 at 05:31 PM.

WOW Excellent map we had such a good time playing it on Sveney

No problems to report

Its in the mapcycle at 24.57.33.194:27015
    --- www.Podcast17.com ---
    Podcast 17 is a weekly audio show in which William and a selection of co-hosts discuss mods and news from the Valve/Half-Life sphere.

i get an instant no free edicts crash on both client and dedicated server - tried a fresh install and still got the crash - map looks good but cant play it

Manager

Curse these unexplainable HL engine limit errors.

Manager

I got the no free edicts error as well, on startup. Fixed it by setting maxplayers to 32.

I've always really like sc_mazing. This is a bit of an improvement, but there also some things that kind of bothered me:

The mummies spawn in the air. They used to come from some sort of sarcophages, which looked much better.
    Also, sometimes the floor would dissamble into small displaced bricks and cause me to get stuck for a while. I hope this wasn't meant as a replacement for the traps, because it's pretty annoying. I actually kind of liked the old traps.

The boss battle is just plain awesome, though.

Manager

Played it again without any errors. Might be because I had the maxplayers set to 22, as I usually do to stop crashes. I was even using the crash-everything dll that allows cheats and electric crowbars.

I was even using the crash-everything dll that allows cheats and electric crowbars.
    Where do I get this plugin?

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty
    Where do I get this plugin?
    Not quite a plugin. Just a replacement for the server dll. I'll send it to you.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by A1win
    Could you please tell me what addons you are running and when the error happens? Are there lots of snarks running around or anything else that might add to the entity count? How many players are on the server?

If you're running that XP mod thingy or anything, try disabling it. I'm not going to fix this if the only problem is some 3rd party addon.
    hello
    reboot client test map no server
    SvenCoop_french all file map sc_mazing2008
    thanks
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

Quote Originally Posted by Nih
    The mummies spawn in the air. They used to come from some sort of sarcophages, which looked much better.
    Also, sometimes the floor would dissamble into small displaced bricks and cause me to get stuck for a while. I hope this wasn't meant as a replacement for the traps, because it's pretty annoying. I actually kind of liked the old traps.
    The way A1win explained to me the lack of sarcophages in this version was that it was too easy to tell where the mummies would spawn. Well, I liked those sarcophages too :/ Personally, I hate instant death traps, atleast when you can't really avoid them without luck (I didn't memorize sc_mazing2008 traps during the ~15 times I played it). Also removing those traps freed alot of entities, and made that boss a possibility. New traps really do their trick when you're running away from a garg or labyrinth hunter, and sometimes even get you killed by a mummy.

In other news, the only way I could crash the map was by loading it with "map sc_mazing2008"(NO_FREE_EDICTS). And during our numerous test-sessions, it didn't crash once due to entities.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by incy247
    i get an instant no free edicts crash on both client and dedicated server - tried a fresh install and still got the crash - map looks good but cant play it
    I got the no free edicts error as well, on startup. Fixed it by setting maxplayers to 32.
    This happens when you start the map as a 1 or 2 player game (which enables cheats and stuff). I don't know why it has lower entity limit or why it creates more entities in that case, but I'm not going to fix bugs that aren't map related. The map runs fine if you set maxplayers to 3 or greater. It's not even meant to be played with less than 3 players anyway.

It is a trap, and I thought it would be less annoying to take only 20 damage instead of die instantly. It's also not possible to have the old traps and the boss in the same map. They take up too many entities.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatency
    The way A1win explained to me the lack of sarcophages in this version was that it was too easy to tell where the mummies would spawn. Well, I liked those sarcophages too :/
    That, and also when the mummies (or zombies) were inside the sarcophagus, they weren't blocking the routes, which made them pretty useless. They'd only move out of them when they saw a player, and since they are so slow, the player would usually be long gone when the mummy got out of the grave. Now they actually are a challenge for the players.
    Last edited by A1win; 21-01-2008 at 06:40 AM.

The Mummies spawn inside gargs sometimes. That's cheap! I wanted to fight the damn thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast