Thread: Sound problems

Sound problems

Ok, not sure how it happened, but somehow my sound files got messed up and I can't fix them. Mostly it's the AI "voices" that are not playing the right sound for the right character -

For example the Shock Troopers will be shouting scientist lines, friendly Robogrunts sound like scared scientists, and the enemy soldier grunts say nothing but "OH, SHIT!"

The last thing I did before it started messing up was installed some custom models with custom sounds - was sort of mixing and matching stuff...(yeah, probably not a good idea) then noticed I was being forced to download sounds from the server I was joining, for stuff I should have already had.

I removed the custom stuff I was messing with; uninstalled and reinstalled SC - didn't help.

Any ideas???

Tester

Re: Sound problems

Hmm thats strange...

Usually I would have said this error is caused by a wrong sentence.txt and sentences.txt
    in the sound folder, but if you reinstalled svencoop then I dont know
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,
    and told to take no Prisoners.
    Visit http://www.youtube.com/NostalgicGames

Manager

Reinstalling SvenCo-op doesn't overwrite any files, or at least it didn't when I tried several times before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.JC
    Hmm thats strange...

Usually I would have said this error is caused by a wrong sentence.txt and sentences.txt
    in the sound folder, but if you reinstalled svencoop then I dont know
    I was thinking something along those lines, but mine haven't been modified, that I know of, anyway (modified dates go back further than installed). Also, these did get left behind upon uninstall, among other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPolito
    Reinstalling SvenCo-op doesn't overwrite any files, or at least it didn't when I tried several times before.
    I think you're right, I'm finding I may just have to delete every thing that's left over from the uninstall that doesn't relate to maps and player models.

You could try reinstalling HL...

Manager

Funny thing is, ever since installing that stupid Star Wars map, my sounds and sprites have remained overwritten, even though I absolutely despise them. Similarly, hydeph once replaced my RPG model with a Vietnam RPG model, and I have yet to change it back. I still love him though. D;

Love, the Sven Coop way...

Anywho...
    Well, the second time reinstalling didn't work, either.. suppose I'll try nuking my whole HL directory, then ...ugh...

Side note: the messed up sounds seem only to apply to NPCs in "hunting" mode - ie: when they're aware of an enemy but not in direct line of fire, or line of sight. And some of them are scientist lines you only hear in the single player campaigns...

Side note #2: after uninstalling, you need to restart before reinstalling (always a good idea anyway). I should've know better (frustration), but I found out the hard way that the uninstaller ( unvise32.exe ) gets marked for deletion upon restart. Even when you reinstall, it resets it's counter, but doesn't unmark for deletion.. so it ends up deleting the uninstaller anyway the next you restart. So then the next time you go to uninstall, it can't find the uninstaller - kind of a pain to fix... without just deleting stuff, that is.

Manager

Did you ever try just replacing the sentence files?

Yeah, I deleted them before I reinstalled even though the old ones didn't look like they'd been modified..
    I deleted all weapon files that were left over - sounds included. Basically deleted everything except maps, sounds specific to maps and sprites. Oh, and I left the player models.

The more I think about it, maybe goes to the core of HL instead of just SC; I'll try HL and OP4 to see if they're messed up, too.

EDIT: I found that it was actually a weird coincidence causing my problems. One of the servers I frequent regularly is experiencing these sound issues, not just me (all is ok when I play on other servers). And every time I'd change something or reinstall, I'd just happen to use the same server to test whether I "fixed" my sound issues...hence, no change... since my PC takes about 10x longer to start a LAN game, I didn't bother at first.
    Last edited by Marb750; 29-09-2007 at 03:15 AM.

I can fix all this, what happens is that some servers do that to players, for example, some people on my server complain about alien slaves saying scientist lines, so it's not any of your files it the server.

~Cyrus
    CS player:OMG!!!!! I DIED!!!!!
    Tired of the same old servers? Cmon down to cy's server/ {OF} Clan's server, check out the site HERE we have tons of good maps and if you want a map that you like in the server I WILL ADD IT