Thread: Fps problem

Fps problem

My fps shows 70 all the time(with my new good computer). I've tryed fps_max command but it wont help. What to do?

Re: Fps problem

Most likely it's a video card setting that forces all applications to use the same refresh rate. Mine does the same thing (stays right around 60fps), haven't really seen a reason to change it, though...

EDIT: I just remembered - I went through the same thing with my other PC; and I just tried to get it to change on this one; huh, the fps still stays around 60. Sorry, thought that was it.
    Last edited by Marb750; 27-11-2007 at 09:58 AM.

The maximum framerate regardless of what you set it to with a command is usually due to the refresh rate on your monitor, especially with CRT monitors -- but this is not always true. I personally think it is the refresh rate of your monitor that caps your framerate to 70. Honestly, having at least 50 as a framerate (or 60 if 50 is not good enough for your standards) is good enough for anything.

I was thinking the same thing, but when I changed my refresh rate for my monitor to 75, it still didn't change the fps in-game. Besides, I think I read somewhere that the human brain isn't really able to distinguish the difference at that level anyway.

Wiki article about "frame rate"
    excerpt:
    An average 17" monitor can reach 85 Hz, meaning that any performance reached by the game over 85 fps is discarded. For that reason it is not uncommon to limit the frame rate to the refresh rate of the monitor in a process called vertical synchronization. However, many players feel that not synchronizing every frame produces sufficiently better game execution to justify some "tearing" of the images.

My 22" monitor shows on options, only can put to 60 Hz... Its probably that?
    But when fps is something like 60/70fps its good enought to play, but its feels like slower to play..
    Is there anyway to get it to 100 fps?

Is there anyway to get it to 100 fps?
    I doubt it. I myself have explored this area years ago when I was using a GeForce2 MX220 and was unable to succeed no matter what I tried. 60 frames is enough, and I strongly doubt you would notice a difference.

Anything under 25 is considered a poor framerate.
    25 frames per second is considered playable.
    30 frames per second is also playable, but a bit decent.
    40 to 45 frames per second is decent.
    50 to 55 frames per second is a bit more decent, but already becoming unnecessary.
    60 frames per second is excellent.

Having 100 fps doesn't change anything over 60 fps. Having 50 to 60 will barely (or not be) noticeable. 30 and 60 are quite noticeable. You have the maximum framerate your monitor supports; you have a problem with that?

Well its good... But example in CS, I've heard that if you have 60fps.. its not so easy/accurate to shoot than 100fps, but in SC It doesnt matter so much luckily..