Thread: I cant get quality to change

Angry I cant get quality to change

Hello I need some help my quality wont change one Sven coop if I do try to change it I hit apply or OK and it restarts and stuff then it goes back on the game and its still on low when I wanted it to go to high quality. If you can help me please I hate low quality bad. So please if you are a computer please help me.

Manager

Re: I cant get quality to change

The quality of what? Screen resolution? Color? Textures? Render mode?

absolute cherry

The only option in Half-Life and SvenCoop that's even close to a quality option that can be set via the menus is the one that controls which player models to use, which is either a low polygon or a high polygon variant. That option has been obsolete for a long time now, and it doesn't make a difference what you set it to.

If that wasn't what you meant...
    You see, apart from screen resolution, color depth, and render mode, there are no quality control options in the Half-Life 1 engine, other than a few obscure console commands that only has a minor impact on the looks of the game. The way the game looks is how the game have always looked and there are no quality settings in the game that drastically changes the looks of the game.

As far as the settings you can change are concerned, the best results come from using any resolution of your choice that you're comfortable with (note that Half-Life, and subsequently Svencoop doesn't support Widescreen resolutions), 32bit color depth, and OpenGL rendering mode. I suggest before you do anything else you verify that these are the settings you're using.

If you're still unsatisfied with the way the game looks, there are few ways of making the game look better, one of them involves downloading replacement packs that changes the way the game looks by replacing many of the models used in the game with better looking ones. If you're interested in that, you should go here:

http://www.svencoop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137

Another way of improving the quality is to activate additional quality features outside the game such as FSAA and AF (Full-Scene Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering respectively). I won't go into detail on how you change those, since Google can tell you all about those thingsa hundred times better than me, if you don't already know the howto already.

Quote Originally Posted by Raging_Wulf
    (note that Half-Life, and subsequently Svencoop doesn't support Widescreen resolutions)
    Weird that I've been running mine at 1680x1050 16:10 widescreen for some time then :/

Contributor

I once had a problem the option for rendermode and color depth not being available at all.
    To solve that make a shortcut to svencoop using the Games Browser. Go to the shortcuts
    properties via a right-mouse-click and in the command line add " -gl -32bpp" (without the quotes).

absolute cherry

Seems like I was talking out of my ass. Yes, Half-Life does have support for widescreen resolutions. Think it lacked that before, but I don't know how long ago that might've been.
    edit: The game supports widescreen resolutions, but the benefits of having a widescreen view isn't realized, since the game still displays in a 4:3 aspect ratio, rather than displaying a wider view of the area. This can be demonstrated by running a map, quicksaving at a certain place, and then comparing the view when playing in a 4:3 resolution to a 16:10 resolution.
    Last edited by Raging_Wulf; 27-12-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Also the quality I can't get to change is the color one.
    Omfg garg spam we scewed

I call for backz ups

rawr run we are hostile

Manager

Your video card may not support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raging_Wulf
    Seems like I was talking out of my ass. Yes, Half-Life does have support for widescreen resolutions. Think it lacked that before, but I don't know how long ago that might've been.
    edit: The game supports widescreen resolutions, but the benefits of having a widescreen view isn't realized, since the game still displays in a 4:3 aspect ratio, rather than displaying a wider view of the area. This can be demonstrated by running a map, quicksaving at a certain place, and then comparing the view when playing in a 4:3 resolution to a 16:10 resolution.
    default_fov "x" in autoexec.cfg

100 is usually recommended for 16:10 and 105 for 16:9. I'm comfortable with 110.

absolute cherry

Quote Originally Posted by facade
    default_fov "x" in autoexec.cfg

100 is usually recommended for 16:10 and 105 for 16:9. I'm comfortable with 110.
    Ah, thanks. I had forgotten all about that command. Of course, the bad thing is that that's a console command and isn't in the GUI, but I guess only die-hard widescreen enthusiasts are really going to care.