Thread: Use Without Steam

Hybrid View

Use Without Steam

I'm just curious......some friends and I are having a LAN this weekend and we want to play SC without using steam due to we won't have internet connection where we are LANing. Will SC work with standalone halflife 1 still and if so what version does it have to be?

Contributor

Re: Use Without Steam

The last ever WON version with HL patch 1.1.1.0, it will only work on LAN and if you are on Windows 9x be warned on some maps it will probably crash our with out of sfx_t error.

Steam DOESN'T need a constant Internet connection to play your games!
    It has an integrated offline-mode and it works great!
    You've just to enable it by that option in the file menu.
    After that, you can go to your LAN and play offline without any problems.

Contributor

There's an illegal version using WON2, which can be used for netplay on private master servers.
    If you are only willing to play LAN, noone will sue you, but be aware that there is only CS 1.5, since
    1.6 came after Steam. SC 3.0 should work. It features HL 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2 retail version. Oh,
    and the best thing: Fog works! >)

Umm... without wanting to, I advertisted it. Shame on me.

WON sucks! And illegal spin-offs of this sucks even more so!!!

Nowadays, there is really no need to use this outdated crap any longer.

Only REALLY bad thing in Steam is that you cannot register very old HL in it easily and my friends are such an idiots they dont want to spent another 10$ to buy a new one

And I think old HL menu is cooler

The fix 640x480 low-res background? ^^

Well, there should normally be no problem to register an old version of HL. You can also get a new key from Valve, if the old one should be already in use.

Sven Co-op animator, beta tester, halfway decent modeler WAR_Nuker's Avatar

also, if this is an issue, steam doesnt work on windows 98/ME anymore. keep that in mind.

if this is the case, install the old HL on all machines. enter CD key. get the 1.1.1.0 update for HL. install sven coop to C:\sierra\half-life (w maps and extra stuff too if you want).

you can download the old WON ded server tool too if you like. after you install that you can just copy the svencoop folder from C:\sierra\half-life to your ded server directory. my sven LAN has a shitload of maps and the latest AMX X. pretty sweet.

however, like stated before, the out of sfx_t error will be an issue. some maps wont work on the old HL...but no big...there are plenty of sven maps that will work.

Contributor

For some reason I never could get AMXX to run or WON, nor on WON2. What version of AMXX still works on WON?
    And also, you can play Half-Life on LAN free and legal using WAR_Nukers way. But note that it does not run as
    long as you have a connection to the internet and that systems with much RAM have trouble starting hl.exe.
    I can tell you how to fix both issues, if you want me to...

Sven Co-op animator, beta tester, halfway decent modeler WAR_Nuker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer
    For some reason I never could get AMXX to run or WON, nor on WON2. What version of AMXX still works on WON?
    i think it can work with all versions of AMXX...including the new one (1.8?). with me i have both an internet server and a LAN server. i installed amxx to my internet server added all the plugins set the admins etc. and got it to work correctly. when that was all done i simply copied the amxmodx and metamod folders that were in the addon folder of the svencoop internet server directory...and pasted it to the addons folder (located in the svencoop folder) for my LAN server directory. launched the LAN server had all my PCs join and it worked like a charm. hurray glows and trails and ninja ropes.

edit: i dont know why but i think i remember reading you have to comment out and add stuff to liblist.gam (dont remember if the installation does it automatically). i guess at the end of the liblist.gam file it should go from this:

gamedll "dlls\hl.dll"
    gamedll_linux "dlls/hl_i386.so"

to this:

//gamedll "dlls\hl.dll"
    //gamedll_linux "dlls/hl_i386.so"
    gamedll "addons\metamod\dlls\metamod.dll"
    gamedll_linux "addons/metamod/dlls/metamod_i386.so"

open up liblist.gam and check it out.
    Last edited by WAR_Nuker; 15-01-2008 at 10:07 PM.