Thread: sc_reflux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sc_reflux

Sven Coop Intelligence (SCI) wants you to investigate what's going on in the biolabs of this facility. You have just landed on the roof of one of the buildings, which is also your extraction point. Have fun.

A map started with deathmatch in mind, 6 1/2 years ago! About 5 months ago I picked up its half finished status and started converting it for Sven. Its deathmatch origins are obvious when you see how it is interconnected, but this also came in useful for making openable shortcuts (of which there are lots).

4-8 players are recommended and the emphasis is on exploration as well as combat.

EDIT 30/1/08:

I have uploaded a new version of the map. Please re-download to enjoy the following improvements (from the changelog):

- Improved aesthetics and ambience in a few places: sound effects, textures, lighting etc.
    - Changed slime texture in silo and added a short camera sequence so people know where to go.
    - Fixed an exploit that would allow you to skip a section of the map. And no I'm still not saying what it was.
    - Adjusted the weapons/items/enemy balance a little. The python is no longer part of the initial weapons loadout, but I'll give you a hint that it is hidden in the map somewhere. A sniper rifle can easily be found near the end of the map to help deal with the snipers there. You could previously pick up a rifle from dead assassins if you were quick, but now its guaranteed. This combined with having a few less sniper assassins should address the complaints about there being too many of them in the first release. If you still find them annoying, you need to stop charging into every room . There are now some health and armour pickups around the place, some hidden.
    - Changed the classic grunts and some of the male assassins in the tunnel to OpFor grunts. They have a sound replacement file to make them sound more like the classic grunts, you can delete this file (sound/sc_reflux/fgrunt_radio.txt) if you don't like it. I seriously wish it was possible to use custom sentences instead of single .wav's in replacement files, but oh well.
    - Added a puddle of water below the initial spawn. If you accidentally fall off the ropes that go down, you can try and land in this puddle and it will break your fall. Not exactly realistic (it's because of a bug in the game), but quite convenient.
    - Probably some other minor tweaks that I've forgotten about.

-------------------

[Download URL Removed; map is included in Sven Co-op 4.0]

-------------------

Also available is the map source. It's missing the lights.rad and compile settings for now, until such time as I can use my old compiuter again and upload them. Hint: increase the -lightdata or it won't compile, and make your own texlights unless you want half the map to be pitch black.

-------------------

MAP SOURCE

-------------------

-------------------

The old version (1.0) can still be got here.
    Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Re: sc_reflux

That looks good.

Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:35 PM.

Manager

Really nice map, superb architecture and nice gameplay. I like the way you designed the map. It really feels like a facility with the pipes running across the map and every room is somehow connected to eachother. Good balance of fighting and puzzles. I like the use of the camera, too.

Some things I've noticed for improvement:
    - Difficulty : could be a bit higher. Maybe use a SKL file to tweak the damage levels.
    - Snipers : they are a good enemy, but they are a bit overused in your map. Tune down on them a bit.
    - Medkits : Please add some of them in the map. The only health source is the charger.
    - Grunts : I wonder why you chose to use the LD-grunts instead of the Op4 grunts. You only used the engineer, and he looks kind of out of place in between the low-def grunts. I'd say you either stick completely with the LD grunts or completely move over to the Op4 grunts.
    - Slime/Water : I walked around the map for about 15 minutes unsure where to go, untill I discovered the slime wasn't actually hazardous. I'd say you change the texture to something like dirty water make this obvious.
    - Texture : only nitpicking, but still: there is a button that also has a button-texture on the top and sides. Looks a bit ugly. Its the one of the cage-elevator in the warehouse.
    - Robogrunts : I've noticed you gave all your monsters realistic names. Might be nice to give the robogrunts a fancy name too, like "Mobile Security Unit MK2" or something.

Except for that stuff, great map!
    My rating : 88%

BOMS!

Congratulations g1l!

Manager

Fun map. Certainly BOMS worthy, but I would have waited for it to get some more replies before sending it in. People just don't notice this forum.

Excellent architecture, texturing and enemy balance. I particularly liked the snow that you made falling outside. Good work.

Also, typically green-glowing water is supposed to melt your skin.

How ironic, the map gets nominated BOMS and I suddenly notice a little exploit that somehow slipped my attention (finding it out is a bonus challenge) . Don't worry, this can easily be fixed and I'll also try taking on board any other feedback that comes this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus
    - Difficulty : could be a bit higher. Maybe use a SKL file to tweak the damage levels.
    - Snipers : they are a good enemy, but they are a bit overused in your map. Tune down on them a bit.
    - Medkits : Please add some of them in the map. The only health source is the charger.
    - Slime/Water : I walked around the map for about 15 minutes unsure where to go, untill I discovered the slime wasn't actually hazardous. I'd say you change the texture to something like dirty water make this obvious.
    - Texture : only nitpicking, but still: there is a button that also has a button-texture on the top and sides. Looks a bit ugly. Its the one of the cage-elevator in the warehouse.
    Noted.

- Grunts : I wonder why you chose to use the LD-grunts instead of the Op4 grunts. You only used the engineer, and he looks kind of out of place in between the low-def grunts. I'd say you either stick completely with the LD grunts or completely move over to the Op4 grunts.
    In some ways I prefer the classic grunt models and especially the radio sounds. But the Op4 grunts do give you a lot more variety. So, I'll probably leave the squads you meet first. But in the later fight they can be replaced with Op4 grunts, and also replace some of the snipers with them. If they are separated (and maybe have sound replacements) the differences between them should not be as obvious.

- Robogrunts : I've noticed you gave all your monsters realistic names. Might be nice to give the robogrunts a fancy name too, like "Mobile Security Unit MK2" or something.
    A custom name is already set in the squadmaker, but it seems to be a bug with all the enemies that come down on a rope. The custom name just doesn't show up (is this a known bug)?

Thanks for the feedback!

А ну, чики-брики и в дамки! Scotsman's Avatar

Wow, you only released the map today (My time zone anyway) and it gets BOMS'ed a few hours later?

Congradulations!
    Only one way to find out

Contributor

hello
    very nice map
    :=)
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

Manager

This looks pretty good! I'll have to try it out sometime.

Fight or die fighting. Sparatan010's Avatar

Beautiful! Just #!@$^ beautiful!
    (downloads)
    My childhood story on how I got hooked on videogames(click grunt)

My only major complaint with the map is it's like one gigantic maze. I was lost half the time, and it didn't help when we were stuck for a while thinking going into the green slime would be death.

Contributor

Snow...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!!!!!!???! How does one make snow in SC? :[]
    Downloading now! 8)

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer
    Snow...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!!!!!!???! How does one make snow in SC? :[]
    Downloading now! 8)
    Oh, I thought that was just the skybox D: Pretty nice.

А ну, чики-брики и в дамки! Scotsman's Avatar

I love how you scripted the gonome to jump at you when you approached it, thats some lovely work!
    Although I do see where the Deathmatch parts seem to be.
    Never the less great map!
    Only one way to find out

Contributor

Just when I started Svencoop, Steam came up with a new error:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=645913
    Probably is going to take 2 days untill I get it working again.

Wow, this looks sweet! Best of Map Showcase, congrats!

Detective Harry Callahan hydeph's Avatar

cool map, sexcellent cinematics too, the evac being destroyed was swell.

like hezus said, tone down the snipers at the end, they would be more effective if you had a few hgrunts or 9mmAR massns in there. also, the ending tower should be blown up or destroyed or something to signal the evac for your pickup. (you should have to do something with that tower, it looks too good to waste like that)

The cinematics were cool, but I felt the map was pretty average on all other cases. Apart from never really having a clear idea of what I was doing, gunfights felt thrown together with no real reason as to why (at least from what I could tell) there were a ton of snipers and assasin and grunts. The point of the map seemed to be about headcrabs and some sort of headcrab/zombie experiment, yet I never saw that idea deliver through

Also, from a graphical standpoint, the map is kinda simplistic. Some of the large indoor areas (such as the massive slime area with the icthys) were a real treat due to their size. The majority of the other areas, however, were cramped, underlit, and very flat/basic looking.

Edit: One other thing; please move the text messages down a bit. Having them display in the center of the screen, underneath the crosshair, is a bad idea, considering that most people's crosshairs will easily block out a word or two.

If you've already downloaded this map, please get the new version which has several improvements (see the changelog in the first post).

Several people didn't like the large amount of snipers. I coudln't tell if this was because they were annoying, or just a boring enemy. In any case there are slightly few of them now, and a sniper rifle can be used against them in the final battle.
    GBall, the story wasn't meant to be very serious because its so cheesy, I thought this would be obvious from some of the messages. About the lighting, this is something I hate preaching to people when I think their gamma needs adjusting. But even though the lighting in this map isn't that special you'll be amazed how much better it looks, along with most other maps when your screen isn't a brown mess of darkness. Then again, you probably don't want to adjust your gamma settings so disregard all that, forget I mentioned it etc.
    I did move the text messages down, because of the minimalistic crosshairs that I use I didn't notice the default ones get in the way.
    It probably would have been cool to have a sequence when you destroyed the final towers. But several compile limits are waiting, to jump out and take a dump all over my map, if I try and add anything worthwhile to it (how does 99.8% clipnodes sound).
    Last edited by g1l; 29-01-2008 at 11:34 PM.

I updated my mirrors.

Last edited by JPolito; 24-12-2008 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks.

I like some bits of the map, but i cannot understand at all how a map with such a horrible VIS can be moved to BOMS. There are a lot of areas where i got 1300+ wpolys on screen and heres the problem: i've got a gforce 6800 and i've got a horrible frame rate.

Do something about that because in most areas i cant understand where all these wpolys come from. Are you sure that you run VIS with the -full setting?

So my review is: nice map, fix the vising and i should be all right.

This is a screenshot i took when i was running the latest version of your map with gl_wireframe 2. Your vising is for some reason completly fucked. WHAT THE HECK did you do?

Manager

Typically the VIS was not a problem when we were playing the map, except for the awesome tower thing with the snipers on it toward the end. If it doesn't entirely ruin the gameplay, I don't see why it shouldn't have been BOMS'd.

He could fix it, but if the only way that you could tell that the vis was screwy in certain areas was by turning on gl_wireframe, I wouldn't fix it at all. Haven't heard of anyone else having any major issues with lag ruining the map, either.

i've got a gforce 6800 and i've got a horrible frame rate.
    Then something is seriously bloating wrong with your system. With an ATI 9800 I can run at least 3500 w_poly without anything significant happening to my FPS. With my nVidia 6800XT I can run a ton more than my old 9800 without my FPS being hurt.

EDIT :: w_poly of 1300 is weak.

EDIT2 ::
    WHAT THE HECK did you do?
    Without having played or downloaded the map, that looks like the "snow" brushes/faces, which apparently is an animated texture with additive or simple transparent rendering or something.

EDIT3 :: For this reason, I am downloading the map to test that area out myself and prove it with a screenshot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast