Thread: Answer to an anonymous question.

Linux development & test edman747's Avatar  
    Programmer

Answer to an anonymous question.

Hello All,
    Names have been changed to protect the individuals. So I get this anonymous question.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    "Let us pretend that I am a newbie who just installed Sven Co-op and had checked the HLSP option during the install. What the link to the HLSP file I need to download and install to make my HLSP working 100%?"
    I am thinking this guy should check the sticky in tech support. But what the heck, I reply with a link to the most current update. svn-hlsp1.7d

A few days later I see his server. I join and vote map hl_sp_portal. Very quickly three or four other players join. We are having some fun. As I recall if someone did a pak0 install(checked the HLSP option during the install) then the maps would be kinda hard. But these maps are easy. Well if he installed the official sven hlsp_update then I remember c2a5f used to crash after killing the gnome. But there is no crash when we play c2a5f. Maybe this guy installed the uberfix, The SC3_HLSP_enabler(easy mode) from the link in tech support.

I begin to wonder, why anyone who has access to the newest, best'est, fastest would install some old stuff?

Again a few days go by... I join, vote map hl_sp_portal. Select anomalous materials. Thats weird, the first map is c1a0. Oh yeah, these could be the uberfixed maps. Then map c1a0d loads, Barney opens the air lock door and says "your turn in the barrel" or something like that. I run through the open door and nothing happens. No map change. Looks like the server administrator has now installed the really old official sven hlsp_update.

Once again I ponder the question: Why revert back to really old stuff that does not work?

Then I start to realize that maybe this guy has a game of the year Half-Life cd. So maybe he did check the HLSP support option during the SC3 install, He did a pak0 install. Then he could have copied the maps over to his dedicated server? But that does not explain whatever hlsp update he used?

My answer is:
    get steam!
    install the newest stuff It takes 1-3 minutes to update HLSP on my old PIII 1GHZ CPU, 512mb ram, 30mb HD, dusty 1.44mb floppy drive!
    enjoy

This may all seem confusing. I will attempt to clear things up a little. Once upon a time, bah that sounds like a fairy tale.

When SC3 was released, maybe there was no steam. Can this be true, SC3 is pre-steam? Anyway the only HLSP option was a pak0 install.
    Then came the official sven hlsp_update.
    Years later my brother gave me his old half-life cd. I hacked out the uberfix (The SC3_HLSP_enabler). It works.
    Eighteen months later I released svn-hlsp1.7d - Quite possibly the best thing since Sven Co-op with HLSP support. It is even better than the original uberfix.
    The sticky in tech support has updated links.
    --------

I have a T-shirt with "I see little people" printed on it. One day some guy ask me: "Are you Irish". I look down at him and kindly reply: "I'm six foot five"
    Last edited by edman747; 21-02-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add time to update
    . What are you looking at?

Re: Answer to an anonymous question.

Hrm, I found out who asked you that question. Turns out that he never got around to updating HLSP on his server because he has a lot of stuff on his agenda and with his education taking highest priority for the rest of the week due to some things that came up, the update process won't be complete until further announcement.

EDIT :: Forgot to add that he also has to travel 30 minutes to get hooked up to decent internet to be able to download and upload massive amounts of content (300mb to 900mb of material) to complete the update process.

Forgot what his name was though. Oh well. :X

Contributor

I havent really seen many HLSP servers recently, I suppose server admins who don't really take part in the community won't know about these fix's.

I had EMP grab the uberfix but he must've put it in wrong because like every map crashes. I told him to just change t back to the old way, but I don't know if he did or not.

Linux development & test edman747's Avatar  
    Programmer

Smile Re: Answer to an anonymous question.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekker View Post
    I had EMP grab the uberfix but he must've put it in wrong because like every map crashes. I told him to just change t back to the old way, but I don't know if he did or not.
    Thanks I played on the EMP server today. It looks like he updated to svn-hlsp1.7d. No crashes. I did not see a map vote for hl_sp_portal or any of the SP maps. Made it hard to check other maps. You know, the SP map names start with: c0* c1* c2* c3* c4*. It really helps me to play on other public servers cause the unknown random players are usually proud to show off any exploits or glitches they know about.

Thanks,

P.S. My sven votemap is a little buggy.
    When I connect to one server it sets up my sven votemap list. Then I connect to another server and try to votemap server says invalid map. So I quit sven and then reconnect to get a new list of maps on that server.
    . What are you looking at?

Yeah my voter does that too.

EDIT: I see you were right. You just put anti-rush mechanisms in that I mistook for map glitches.
    Last edited by Tekker; 27-02-2008 at 12:27 AM.