Thread: Error: ParseEntity: { not found

Manager

Error: ParseEntity: { not found

I'm getting this error on HLvis:

"ParseEntity: { not found"

Would anyone know what is causing the problem or how I'd find out what is causing it? The traditional "Check for problems" doesn't show anything wrong.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Re: Error: ParseEntity: { not found

Quote Originally Posted by CombatGold1 View Post
    I'm getting this error on HLvis:

"ParseEntity: { not found"

Would anyone know what is causing the problem or how I'd find out what is causing it? The traditional "Check for problems" doesn't show anything wrong.
    Sounds like a "path name " problem somewhere:
    http://www.slackiller.com/tommy14/errors.htm

Contributor

It is not necessarily a path name problem. I had that one as well, because my brush based entities all together consisted of too many faces and brushes. Try making the majority of func_walls and other brush based entities that just serve as details invisble and compile without them. If that fixes it, congratulations, you've just hit an absolute limit - no workarounds for this one. Oh and though it is rare that solution from the famous site http://www.slackiller.com/tommy14/errors.htm for this problem to just add closing braces is crap. It would completely eliminate the meaning of braces. If possible, try to split up your map into multiple parts, make some func_walls into solids or delete them. You are probably going to have to live with one of those options. It is up to you to choose the wisest.

Manager

Very odd though, because no entity refers to a resource with spaces in paths.

I've already got most of my stuff as func walls/illusionary, leaving only boundries as solid.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Contributor

I've already got most of my stuff as func walls/illusionary, leaving only boundries as solid.
    Well, you see, that is the problem. o.O

Manager

I meant, I've been joining many blocks as 1 entity - i.e. where I have an office, everything inside it (desks, lighting, computers, chars, etc) are all part of 1 func_wall. I can't see how I've reached some limit.

Edit: Just noticed my leaf count is full (102%), but I can't seem to find a definition of a leaf to remove some. Is it as simple as moving some of my func_wall's back to solid, the ones that I know won't cause much strain on HLvis or the game rendering?
    Last edited by AdamR; 21-04-2008 at 07:31 AM.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Contributor

I meant, I've been joining many blocks as 1 entity - i.e. where I have an office, everything inside it (desks, lighting, computers, chars, etc) are all part of 1 func_wall.
    That is what you do if you reach the actual entity limit, but it is not a good way to do. Anyway, you don't have reached an entity limit, but a limit of what entities consist of. (brushes with faces) For example 200 crates, each being one entity, are easily compiled, while 200 desks, on each 50 books, 2 monitors, 2 PCs, a ventilator and 20 cola bottles, each an entity, will give you the error you get. In both cases you have 200 func_walls, but the desks with all the stuff on them are much more complicated. You may want to try to add clip brushes into the entities, which surround the whole desk. That works very well and may fix your problem. I don't know whether it is just about the visual part or the collision hull part as well, though.

Manager

I really can't make sense of what you just said

Are you saying that 200 objects are better as 200 entities, or 1 entity? Either way, I don't think it'll lower the number of leaves in the map.

The problem seems to be because I'm exceeding the leaf limit, HLvis is reading the entity data too early in the .map file. I'd need good tips on how to lower the number of leaves.
    Last edited by AdamR; 21-04-2008 at 12:12 PM.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team