Thread: Warcoast Pt.1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Warcoast Pt.1

So here's my map wich I posted on the WIP section, I've playtested it with a few friends and seens cool, Hope you guys like, have fun.

Download.
    Last edited by Ag3nt-X; 30-06-2008 at 11:17 PM.

Re: Warcoast Pt.1

Looking vey nice

Gonna upload it to Sega* right away. Hope it's as cool as it looks.

Detective Harry Callahan hydeph's Avatar

I played this by myself. It was fun.

there are some issues, however.

The USMC Soldier Engineer, maybe just name him USMC Engineer.

The 3 friendly grunts that help you kinda get in the way more than they assist you. The dock is kind of narrow and it doesn't give them a whole lot of room to move around with other players as well. It was cramped, and I was playing alone.

Once the enemies begin to spawn, you can be attacked at spawn, which is annoying and you can't really fight back without losing a quarter of your health before you can even retaliate.

The whole map kinda copies sandstones, 'blow up the biohazardous barrels', but that's okay because it's challenging and fun.

The gun skins are kinda, strange. It looks like really scratched metal, maybe that was the idea (war torn effect)... the enemies and the good guys kinda look very similar, though. perhaps you could use some more terrorist looking models for enemies. Djiesse has a lot of player models for Counter-Strike that can be adapted and converted for use as hgrunts and massns.

http://www.csnation.net/csforces/t.htm

The middle eastern extremists fit quite well, I'd say.

I like this map and I'd like to see it progress into a bigger map, for sure.

Contributor

map added to SCMapDB - http://scmapdb.wikidot.com/map:warcoast

planning to try this out with a friend later

Quote Originally Posted by hydeph View Post
    I played this by myself. It was fun.

there are some issues, however.

The USMC Soldier Engineer, maybe just name him USMC Engineer.

The 3 friendly grunts that help you kinda get in the way more than they assist you. The dock is kind of narrow and it doesn't give them a whole lot of room to move around with other players as well. It was cramped, and I was playing alone.

Once the enemies begin to spawn, you can be attacked at spawn, which is annoying and you can't really fight back without losing a quarter of your health before you can even retaliate.

The whole map kinda copies sandstones, 'blow up the biohazardous barrels', but that's okay because it's challenging and fun.

The gun skins are kinda, strange. It looks like really scratched metal, maybe that was the idea (war torn effect)... the enemies and the good guys kinda look very similar, though. perhaps you could use some more terrorist looking models for enemies. Djiesse has a lot of player models for Counter-Strike that can be adapted and converted for use as hgrunts and massns.

http://www.csnation.net/csforces/t.htm

The middle eastern extremists fit quite well, I'd say.

I like this map and I'd like to see it progress into a bigger map, for sure.
    I prefer to stay with the soldier names, dunno why, but I like the way they are.
    You will be attacked on the spawn area, but you can cover on the crates and shoot them, sorry but I have no other ways to fix that.
    The part when you said I copied sandstone, sorry man, I dunno if that was offensive, but I do not copied any part, I've never played sandstone with anyone and playing alone that map is just impossible, If you can think in a better objective, tell me it.
    The gun skins purpose was to be rusty and creat the wartorn effect. About the dijiesse models, I've already tried to hack them onto grunt's animations, It streches the model upwards and looks too ugly.
    Thanks for your comment man, I really like people opinions, I just don't like when you say I've copied other work, wich isn't the case, sorry if it sounds rude, I'll work more on the other maps.
    Cheers.

Manager

Great visual appearance. I loved the water in particular.

I only had three problems. The retarded engineer wouldn't follow me long enough to get to the mortars. He always ran off and died. I don't think there is much you could do about that, however. The second problem was how you immediately die if you try to go into the water, which happened by accident several times. I suggest placing clip brushes around the edges to prevent players from going over the edge in the first place. Finally, the rocket turrets on the rooftops were able to directly hit the respawn. Kind of annoying.

In addition to this, I would place monsterclip entities around the various obstacles in the map where the engineer might get stuck, such as the fallen over barrels in the first objective area. I would also monsterclip the mountains in the distance for the helicopters. They flew through them more than once.

Otherwise, it was quite nice, but very short. You could lengthen it by making the playable area larger and spreading the barrels and mortars out around the map in separate areas. Seems kind of odd that they are all in the same small area.

Also, hydeph didn't mean that you literally copied and pasted areas from Sandstone. The initial 'disarm the explosives' thing is just very similar. He's simply providing constructive criticism. No need to be all offended.

Once again, it was quite nice, and I'd like to see more maps from you.

Quote Originally Posted by JPolito View Post
    Great visual appearance. I loved the water in particular.

I only had three problems. The retarded engineer wouldn't follow me long enough to get to the mortars. He always ran off and died. I don't think there is much you could do about that, however. The second problem was how you immediately die if you try to go into the water, which happened by accident several times. I suggest placing clip brushes around the edges to prevent players from going over the edge in the first place. Finally, the rocket turrets on the rooftops were able to directly hit the respawn. Kind of annoying.

In addition to this, I would place monsterclip entities around the various obstacles in the map where the engineer might get stuck, such as the fallen over barrels in the first objective area. I would also monsterclip the mountains in the distance for the helicopters. They flew through them more than once.

Otherwise, it was quite nice, but very short. You could lengthen it by making the playable area larger and spreading the barrels and mortars out around the map in separate areas. Seems kind of odd that they are all in the same small area.

Also, hydeph didn't mean that you literally copied and pasted areas from Sandstone. The initial 'disarm the explosives' thing is just very similar. He's simply providing constructive criticism. No need to be all offended.

Once again, it was quite nice, and I'd like to see more maps from you.
    Thanks for the comments, I'll consider those.
    Also sorry Hydeph, I understood you wrong.
    The bugs will be fixed and released with the Pt.2 of the series.
    Cheers.

Contributor

hello
    good map

link image for map
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/53476
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

Very nice map. Some technical issues from a server owners perspective..

First off your folders are capitalized for example Gfx instead of gfx.. this messes with Linux file servers so you should fix that in your package.. Also next time include a proper res file:

maps/sc_warcoast.cfg
    maps/sc_warcoast_motd.txt
    gfx/env/sc_warcoast_bk.tga
    gfx/env/sc_warcoast_dn.tga
    gfx/env/sc_warcoast_ft.tga
    gfx/env/sc_warcoast_lf.tga
    gfx/env/sc_warcoast_rt.tga
    gfx/env/sc_warcoast_up.tga
    models/Arab/Arab_Building_1_Small.mdl
    models/Arab/Arab_Dumpster_1.mdl
    models/Arab/Arab_Mortar.mdl
    models/Arab/Arab_Palm_1.mdl
    models/Arab/Arab_Palm_2.mdl
    models/Arab/Arab_Roof_2.mdl
    models/Arab/Arab_Sea.mdl
    models/Arab/Arab_Shade_1.mdl
    models/Arab/Arab_Shade_2.mdl
    models/Arab/Npcs/Arab_Apache.mdl
    models/Arab/Npcs/Arab_Engineer.mdl
    models/Arab/Npcs/Arab_Terrorist.mdl
    models/Arab/Npcs/Arab_USMC.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/p_9mmAR.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/p_9mmHandgun.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/p_m40a1.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/p_rpg.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/p_shotgun.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/v_9mmAR.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/v_9mmHandgun.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/v_m40a1.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/v_rpg.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/v_shotgun.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/w_9mmAR.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/w_9mmHandgun.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/w_m40a1.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/w_rpg.mdl
    models/Arab/Weapons/w_shotgun.mdl
    sound/Arab/Arab_Bomb_Beep.wav
    sound/Arab/Arab_Bomb_Disarmed.wav
    sound/Arab/Arab_Fast_Bomb.wav
    sound/Arab/Arab_Fire_1.wav
    sound/Arab/Arab_Fire_2.wav
    sound/Arab/Arab_Impact.wav
    sound/Arab/Arab_Quake.wav
    sound/Arab/Arab_RPG.wav
    sound/Arab/Arab_Squeak.wav
    sound/Arab/Arab_War_1.wav
    sound/Arab/Arab_Waves.wav
    sound/Arab/Arab_Wind_1.wav
    sound/Arab/Arab_Wind_2.wav
    sound/Arab/CmdSeq.wc
    sound/Arab/GameCfg.wc
    sound/Arab/Intro_Radio/g3_copy.wav
    sound/Arab/Intro_Radio/g7_copy_hq.wav
    sound/Arab/Intro_Radio/g7_view_lz.wav
    sound/Arab/Intro_Radio/g7_watch_vector.wav
    sound/Arab/Intro_Radio/hq_proceed.wav
    sound/Arab/Intro_Radio/w6_cant_see.wav
    sound/Arab/Intro_Radio/CmdSeq.wc
    sound/Arab/Intro_Radio/GameCfg.wc
    sprites/Arab/Flames01.spr
    The map was fun but kinda annoying. Maybe if you had a respawn zone for the engineer closer to the motars. Also try to have your text stay on screen for a little bit longer and check your grammar and spelling. "has been neutralized" instead of "was been neutralized" I agree with everything JPolito said, also the map is WAY too narrow. The friendly NPCs often get in the way on the narrow bridge ways and I find myself running on the ledge just to avoid them. I agree with you though, this is better for a small group of people than sandstone.

I had a really weird bug, so did my other friend who also plays in Sveney, but other players didn't get this bug; maybe its specific to your map or my sven is messed up. I took a screenshot, basically the skybox was clipping everywhere made the map have some really weird depth perception. Check out this image:

http://www.sveney.com/sc_warcoast1.jpg
    http://www.sveney.com/sc_warcoast2.jpg
    http://www.sveney.com/sc_warcoast3.jpg

Keep up the good work.

Edit: Added to the Sveney Mapcycle. Join the sveney reg server (not AOM or KZ)
    --- www.Podcast17.com ---
    Podcast 17 is a weekly audio show in which William and a selection of co-hosts discuss mods and news from the Valve/Half-Life sphere.

Yea, I had the same HOM effect problem with the sky as well -- it made shooting the turrets nearly impossible. It needs to be fixed, I eventually stopped playing at the turret part, because trying to aim a missile at a small turret very far away while being shot constantly from all directions while dealing with the HOM effect got very annoying.

The map really does need its own spawn area -- I tried playing it with a few bots, but I was capable of playing things more efectively by myself and with the grunts. The opening segment of the map wasn't bad -- the bomb/difuse/barrel thing was neato, but the play area is so small that it really hurts the gameplay. It would have been more interesting if the map had been made larger, and the barrels (or "bombs" I supposed you could say) were in a specific part of the map, and had to be difused in a certain length of time. I would also suggest that if you're going to use infinitely respawning grunts, do not use SAW grunts -- the amount of damage they do makes them incredibly tedious, very quickly.

It's a nice start, but the map needs to be much larger, and that HOM effect problem needs to be fixed real quick :x

Edit: Judging from the screenshots, the map might be bigger than I actually think it is -- like I said, I stopped playing at the turret part.

Manager

Would it be possible for you to upload the wad files used in this map? I'm quite interested in seeing how these water textures look. I don't think I've ever seen a more realistic ocean in an SC map before.

Ok people, thanks for reporting these lots of bugs, I'll try to fix soon as I can, I've didn't noticed them, I tested playing alone, this weird sky error I really don't know how to proceed, can someone replace the original skybox with some other?, also sorry for releasing this too early, you guys might think didn't even tested it.
    Last edited by Ag3nt-X; 04-05-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Lightbulb Re: Warcoast Pt.1

Was wondering if its based on what folks have they're resolution set at. On the server such as myself with the wide screen resolution I get gaps in the skybox an others with the 800*600 don't. Was just a thought....
    heal to be healed....

kill or be Killed!

Hmm I am also running wide screen
    Podcast 17 is a weekly audio show in which William and a selection of co-hosts discuss mods and news from the Valve/Half-Life sphere.

Manager

I dont get any futher than after the 2 RPGs start firing at you. I shot the 2 grunts behind the launchers, but that doesnt disable the func_tanks. Nothing happend after that.

Is this a bug or am I missing something? I dont see anyone reporting this and I've tried to the map twice with the same result.

You have to keep shooting the rocket launchers until they blow up... they have ungodly hp.

1: Players can destroy barells - that's very bad idea. Also after "turrets" spawn they are able to destroy barells by accident. We were losing 3 times because of that.
    2: Map is too small and streets are too narrow. Part with barells is paced on a way too small area.
    3: 3 SAW grunts at mortars is too much.
    4: "Mission accomplished" during mortar part - no idea what happend but it showed up before we get engineer there (that's not too helpfull for you I guess).
    5: That werid sky bug that shows for some people.
    6: Orders should show up for longer or few times.

Other than that map was pretty good.
    Hope that you will fix those issues

1 - Yes, I can't (or don't know) set Breakables to break with an specific entity, get those Friendly Marines up to the streets and fight the Terrorists while someone with the RPG on the docks keep shooting on the turrets.
    2 - Sorry but the map will keep being small, I can't do so many things more on it or my r_speeds will go over 5.000 w_poly, you can wait for the Pt.2.
    3 - I've reduced the number of SAW's soldiers drasticaly.
    4 - Someone should achieved to pass trough the trigger wich end's the map before all objectives got completed. If you're using the SCXP mod, probably someone got the AntiGravity skill and jumped trough the buildings. However now the map is now clipped everywhere, people with AntiGravity skill will not be able to cheat on the map.
    5 - Yes, its very weird, I guess it must be the huge water model I made to fake the sea, I'm looking for someone who get that error to test an updated .bsp of the map.
    6 - What?.

Anyways, I've fixed these things on the map.
    * Spawnzone isn't unsafe anymore, you can get weapons and ready yourself before reaching the warzone.
    * Reduced the Terrorists SAW's spawnzone to 2.
    * Increased the time of respawn of the Terrorists on the upper streets, now the Engineer have some more seconds to reach the mortars and blow'em up.
    * Clipped the whole map due to a Skill mod, players with AntiGravity Skills could cheat the map.
    * Fixed the bug where players could bug the Enemy (and Friendly) spawnzone by entering quickly when the doors open.
    * Deleted the Fake Sea model, should fix the weird sky error.
    * Reduced Turrets Strenght from 760 to 450.
    * Grammar erros fixed tho.

Needs to have some playtest and proper models before I can release the Update.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Ag3nt-X; 10-05-2008 at 01:24 AM.

One possible solution to the breakable barrel issue, would been to make the breakable object into an invisible func_breakable coated in the null texture. If it were to be broken, it would kill target the "visual" barrels (what the players see) and remove the corresponding one from the level.

The advantage to building the barrels this way, is that you can make the barrels become invincible by simply kill targeting the nulled func_breakable that the players don't see.

Manager

If you decide to make the playable area in the city larger, you could put the barrels all over the city (similarly to sandstone), and, if they are blown up, they blow up a large section of the structure which they are standing next to. This could be accomplished with func_wall_toggle entities and some fancy effects. It would be pretty awesome, too.

Manager

Thumbs down Re: Warcoast Pt.1

r_speeds wont go up to 5000 because of your map being larger. You just need to make visblocks. If you make a few corridors and turns between buildings before you make the next big area, it'll be fine.

I did a little ghost flight through your map and I must say, I like the way you approached things. I really like the way you did the ocean with the model. Might copy that a bit

Most people around here already pointed you to some high r_speeds.

Another thing, most unseen faces on the buildings needs a NULL texture as well. (example, big building with minarets.)

Sorry but the map will stay as it is, I don't have enough time, patience to still working on this one, just wait for the second part please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ag3nt-X View Post
    Sorry but the map will stay as it is, I don't have enough time, patience to still working on this one, just wait for the second part please.
    You should at least fix the critical bugs, mentioned by CubicVirtuoso, before thinking about a second part.
    My friend gets this problem too.

Not many people will be interested in a sequel of a map that is unplayable for 50% of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Headcrab57 View Post
    You should at least fix the critical bugs, mentioned by CubicVirtuoso, before thinking about a second part.
    My friend gets this problem too.

Not many people will be interested in a sequel of a map that is unplayable for 50% of the people.
    This is the very reason I haven't even downloaded the map yet. I'm not waisting my time playing a map with problems especially when the author won't be bothered to fix them. In fact the map should be removed from the map showcase since it's unplayable by most people, if not all, and should be moved to WIP forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast