Thread: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 58
  1. #26
    Nothing to see here. BackAssward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    388

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by JPolito View Post
    I don't care what people install on their servers, but when every server copies off of the popular servers and installs the same goddamn mod, it starts to get very old very fast.
    So, build your own server, what superiority do you have to tell all the other servers what they run? You still haven't answered my question, why is one cheat mod not ok, and the rest are? (you're personal likes, that's all and your personal likes should not dictate what others can do).



    Quote Originally Posted by AndY View Post
    Agreed. I hate mods, I want SC the way it is.

    We'll bring back official crap-free servers with the next release.
    As long as you kill ALL amxmodx mods, fine. Otherwise, you are just discriminating based on prsonal preference. They are all cheats, why should YOU chose which mods are ok or not? (see snakrewards and hookmod for example). Why do you think your personal hate should mandate the direction of Sven Coop and mods for it? Man, that is some ignorant arrogance you live with, and self righteous also.

    This presumed superiority I see by a bunch of you, grow up children, you are looking like bullies on the playground. Though I assume you lack the ability to honestly look at yourself or your motivations, that is what your argument imply. Mext you'll tell me what models I can use, or that I can't import NS models because it breaks SC's real nature.

    Hell, I'll find a way to make xp mod work with 4.0 just to make sure you people don't tell me how to run my server. And no, it cannot be completely quashed. As long as AMXMODX works, an XP mod can ALWAYS work. Any programed limitation can be worked around unless you completely kill all Sven Coop's flexibility (and the HL engine too). Thank god for decompilers.

    Time for you commentors to grow up and realize your desires do not dictate policy for other people's servers. You act as if you are the originators of Sven and 'the way it should be'. Shit man, is this your religion, your cause?

    Yes, there will be an xp mod for 4.0... grow up and accept that you do not dictate what server owners run on their servers, regardless of your selfish desires.




    The point not yet answered by the supposed superiority crowd: How is one cheat ok and the other (xp mod) not? If you truly have a point, then all amxmodx must be broken, otherwise you are just whiny discriminatory little self righteous bigots. If I am wrong, why have none of you actually addressed this key point of universality in enforcement of your 'valid' complaint? That all cheats must be stopped for breaking SC? You only complain about the ones you don't like, that's a bit selfish, with no univeral logical basis behind it (a house who's foundation is made in sand, makes a poor house indeed).

    Make your own server and stop telling others how their servers should be. Or at least make a valid argument other than "but it's what I want". None of you have yet. The cheat argument isn't valid at this point unless you agree to kill all cheats (I see no one is stepping up to that argument).
    Last edited by BackAssward; 05-06-2008 at 01:25 AM.

  2. #27
    Mapper or something ozku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Varkaus, Finland
    Posts
    524

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by BackAssward View Post
    So, build your own server, what superiority do you have to tell all the other servers what they run?
    Building your own server is not an option for everyone, I would create my own server instantly if I could.

    Xp and hookmod change gameplay way too much to be good mods. Basically it is not SC anymore on those servers, it is "kill more stuf and rush fasterf than anyone else" mod. Minor mods like "use to pick up minigun" and unstuck are great since they improve gameplay without actually changing it. I haven't tested that snarkreward thing.

    It is kinda like having xp-mod on CS (I tried it and it is horrible) and saying that mapvoting is as bad.

    And btw, none of us said that xp-mod is cheat, you said it first time in this thread. Infact, nobody else even said word "cheat" in this thread.
    Last edited by ozku; 05-06-2008 at 07:02 AM.

  3. #28
    Overwatch Mod AndY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    362

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by BackAssward View Post
    So, build your own server, what superiority do you have to tell all the other servers what they run? You still haven't answered my question, why is one cheat mod not ok, and the rest are? (you're personal likes, that's all and your personal likes should not dictate what others can do).





    As long as you kill ALL amxmodx mods, fine. Otherwise, you are just discriminating based on prsonal preference. They are all cheats, why should YOU chose which mods are ok or not? (see snakrewards and hookmod for example). Why do you think your personal hate should mandate the direction of Sven Coop and mods for it? Man, that is some ignorant arrogance you live with, and self righteous also.

    This presumed superiority I see by a bunch of you, grow up children, you are looking like bullies on the playground. Though I assume you lack the ability to honestly look at yourself or your motivations, that is what your argument imply. Mext you'll tell me what models I can use, or that I can't import NS models because it breaks SC's real nature.

    Hell, I'll find a way to make xp mod work with 4.0 just to make sure you people don't tell me how to run my server. And no, it cannot be completely quashed. As long as AMXMODX works, an XP mod can ALWAYS work. Any programed limitation can be worked around unless you completely kill all Sven Coop's flexibility (and the HL engine too). Thank god for decompilers.

    Time for you commentors to grow up and realize your desires do not dictate policy for other people's servers. You act as if you are the originators of Sven and 'the way it should be'. Shit man, is this your religion, your cause?

    Yes, there will be an xp mod for 4.0... grow up and accept that you do not dictate what server owners run on their servers, regardless of your selfish desires.




    The point not yet answered by the supposed superiority crowd: How is one cheat ok and the other (xp mod) not? If you truly have a point, then all amxmodx must be broken, otherwise you are just whiny discriminatory little self righteous bigots. If I am wrong, why have none of you actually addressed this key point of universality in enforcement of your 'valid' complaint? That all cheats must be stopped for breaking SC? You only complain about the ones you don't like, that's a bit selfish, with no univeral logical basis behind it (a house who's foundation is made in sand, makes a poor house indeed).

    Make your own server and stop telling others how their servers should be. Or at least make a valid argument other than "but it's what I want". None of you have yet. The cheat argument isn't valid at this point unless you agree to kill all cheats (I see no one is stepping up to that argument).
    Wow.. Slow down cowboy.. Read what I said again..

    All I'm saying is we'll have 1 or 2 official SC servers that are mod-free. I couldn't care less what other people run on _their_ servers..

    Before you go mouthing off like that, you should probably carefully read the things people write.
    [ PM ][ Overwatch Mod ][ SC ]

  4. #29
    Administrator JPolito's Avatar  
    Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,553

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Also, BackAssward, why don't servers simply come up with something unique to install? Why don't some of the server owners make their own mods? Gee, if I can go about starting my own server all day, then the owners of current servers can sure as hell learn to make an AMX script.

    It can't be hard to change the names of the XP levels either. Every server I've been into that has XP mod has left the names and everything else standard, minus a few of the servers that are run by some more intelligent people. I'm not saying that obliterating the XP mod would be the best thing to do. I'm just saying that servers are shitting up the game when they don't make their mods any different from the others. It's a simple recommendation to server owners, not a call for a crusade.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndY
    Slow down cowboy..
    Basically.

    PS: No one ever said cheats were okay either. Mods that give other players the advantage typically ruin maps. Being a mapper, I take such mods as a threat to my work. Understand both sides, chap.

  5. #30
    Nothing to see here. BackAssward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    388

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndY View Post
    Agreed. I hate mods, I want SC the way it is.
    We'll bring back official crap-free servers with the next release.
    So you think that you do really have the superiority to define how others play... get a life.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozku View Post
    Building your own server is not an option for everyone, I would create my own server instantly if I could.

    Xp and hookmod change gameplay way too much to be good mods. Basically it is not SC anymore on those servers, it is "kill more stuf and rush fasterf than anyone else" mod. Minor mods like "use to pick up minigun" and unstuck are great since they improve gameplay without actually changing it. I haven't tested that snarkreward thing.

    It is kinda like having xp-mod on CS (I tried it and it is horrible) and saying that mapvoting is as bad.

    And btw, none of us said that xp-mod is cheat, you said it first time in this thread. Infact, nobody else even said word "cheat" in this thread.
    So you want to argue semantics, I used the word cheat to summarize their point (a valid summary of their concerns btw). But yes, lets focus on the word and not the argument. It's interesting that you think you can define what SC is. Also, that you think you know what is best for SC. You let your personal ideas convince you that they are objective truths. That what you like and what you think is best, is an objective thing. Grow up.


    Quote Originally Posted by AndY View Post
    Wow.. Slow down cowboy.. Read what I said again..

    All I'm saying is we'll have 1 or 2 official SC servers that are mod-free. I couldn't care less what other people run on _their_ servers..

    Before you go mouthing off like that, you should probably carefully read the things people write.
    I did read them, and they are advocating programing out the possibility of xp mod so they can enjoy other peoples servers better (so they can decide what other people run). You need a class in reading comprehension.


    Again, why is snarkrewards ok then, why is any amxmodx ok, if xp mod is wrong. Your arguments still haven't answered this. You are still are arguing on personal preference and prejudice.

    (I still plan on making sure xp mod works in 4.0)

  6. #31
    Administrator Sven Viking's Avatar  
    Manager
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8,099

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Andy never said anything about programming mods out, that was others. He just said that he personally hates these types of mods (not xp mod in particular), and once 4.0 is complete, will arrange to start a couple of official servers that are mod-free (thus taking your advice to "build your own server" if you want a server without mods).

    We've never discussed the possibility of trying to lock out mods amongst the team -- the only thing I might consider is some way to let people know which servers were or were not modified (like a note in the server name or something), but I doubt we'll even have time for that.
    Sven Viking

  7. #32
    Nothing to see here. BackAssward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    388

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sven Viking View Post
    Andy never said anything about programming mods out, that was others. He just said that he personally hates these types of mods (not xp mod in particular), and once 4.0 is complete, will arrange to start a couple of official servers that are mod-free (thus taking your advice to "build your own server" if you want a server without mods).

    We've never discussed the possibility of trying to lock out mods amongst the team -- the only thing I might consider is some way to let people know which servers were or were not modified (like a note in the server name or something), but I doubt we'll even have time for that.
    I am completely for that and encourage it without issue. My arguments were for the specific people who made one-sided (selfish and discriminatory arguments without any sense of one mod vs the other). Against arguments of people without the understanding of what they were saying.

    The ones who argued out of selfish interest, rather than any objective reason or any care for other people's desires.


    I am with you on this.

    Unfortunately, I don't have enough info to know Andy's character specifically, I was responding to the rest of the people arguing me. I think he got involved through a misunderstanding of my motives, and things went from there.
    Last edited by BackAssward; 06-06-2008 at 03:02 AM.

  8. #33
    Mapper or something ozku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Varkaus, Finland
    Posts
    524

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by BackAssward View Post
    So you want to argue semantics, I used the word cheat to summarize their point (a valid summary of their concerns btw). But yes, lets focus on the word and not the argument. It's interesting that you think you can define what SC is. Also, that you think you know what is best for SC. You let your personal ideas convince you that they are objective truths. That what you like and what you think is best, is an objective thing. Grow up.
    Can you please stop insulting and flaming people who disagree with you? I just gave my opinion, opinions are not facts. Deal with it.

    And if you have problem with that, feel free to pm me and let's settle this up.

    Anyway, back on the topic.

  9. #34
    Regular Sph!nx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,323

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Sjees, I think all has been said about this right now... can we discuss happier things?

  10. #35
    Administrator JPolito's Avatar  
    Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,553

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sph!nx View Post
    Sjees, I think all has been said about this right now... can we discuss happier things?
    So, BackAssward, what is your opinion on Ponies?

  11. #36
    Administrator Sven Viking's Avatar  
    Manager
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8,099

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by JPolito View Post
    So, BackAssward, what is your opinion on Ponies?
    Ponies are an unhappy topic for me. My pony died today .

    Sven Viking

  12. #37
    Mapper hrothunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southern Missouri, US
    Posts
    445

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sven Viking View Post
    Ponies are an unhappy topic for me. My pony died today .
    That sucks, I have a couple of horses back at my mother's house. If one of them ever died, I would blame the neighbors and break their windows

    Quote Originally Posted by BackAssward View Post
    How about you set up your own server and stop whining about what others do that you don't like? Set it up without xp mod, and see how many people come play the same old maps, knowing they're going to get nothing new. (Of course, someone will try to take the attention away and say "4.0 is something new", yes but 95% of the maps will still be old, and it's not like we're getting another sven, so it won't be new for too long. That misdirection doesn't actually address the crux of my argument either).
    If you remember, I actually did have a 12 slot server named "hrothunder's fun server" up for about a year (no xp mod), and then I moved to this craphole in the earth where the maximum upload from any ISP is 512kpbs (lag hell unless you host only 8 slots).

    I believe that new maps/ripents keep people coming back, as it is a new experience for the players.

    And apologies for starting a heated debate about xp mod, I don't really care as long as there are a couple of normal servers to play on.
    [I stoled it from GB, who stoled it from JP][I had the first 4.0B server available to the public]
    [Я достигнул 200 постов в Советском Ко-оп]

  13. #38
    Nothing to see here. BackAssward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    388

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozku View Post
    Can you please stop insulting and flaming people who disagree with you? I just gave my opinion, opinions are not facts. Deal with it.

    And if you have problem with that, feel free to pm me and let's settle this up.

    Anyway, back on the topic.
    Your concept of flaming is new to me, your quote of mine was not an example of me flaming in any way. I only responded in kind and gave relative examples to people who were advocating a policy that they obviously didn't think through (some belittling was used for the more ignorant).


    Quote Originally Posted by hrothunder View Post
    I believe that new maps/ripents keep people coming back, as it is a new experience for the players.

    And apologies for starting a heated debate about xp mod, I don't really care as long as there are a couple of normal servers to play on.
    I'm totally with you on this. Part of my point was that we'd have less than half the current users if we didn't have the xp mod.

    For the legacy users to complain about xp mod, seemed odd. To complain that someone is doing better at a map because they played that server more than the occasional player (these days), but did better because of their persistence (resulting in xp awards), rather than the 'uber' player who doesn't play much but thinks he is higher skill... is a stupid selfish complaint.

    For me to say that we should program out a mod because I only play sven seldomly these days, but my superior skill should make me a map master over these noobs who have obviously played a lot to get xp points and an advantage... well the just reeks of self importance and un proven superiority. Douchbagerry.

    "I am better but play less, so I shouldn't have to lose on a server where noobs have played more and have gotten an xp reward for it".

    That's pretty petty. This isn't TFC, CS, or DoD... People who think that, need to get a life (for that thought process alone).

  14. #39
    Administrator JPolito's Avatar  
    Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,553

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Yeah. Stop the argument already. Christ.

  15. #40
    Unregistered User Geogriffith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    190

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by JPolito View Post
    Yeah. Stop the argument already. Christ.
    I'm not stopping it until you stop it first
    Join me, Luke, and together we can end this pointless Co-op and rule the galaxy as Father and Sven.

  16. #41
    Administrator JPolito's Avatar  
    Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,553

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    I stopped with the question about ponies, you know.

  17. #42
    Nothing to see here. BackAssward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    388

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by hrothunder View Post
    That sucks, I have a couple of horses back at my mother's house. If one of them ever died, I would blame the neighbors and break their windows

    If you remember, I actually did have a 12 slot server named "hrothunder's fun server" up for about a year (no xp mod), and then I moved to this craphole in the earth where the maximum upload from any ISP is 512kpbs (lag hell unless you host only 8 slots).

    I believe that new maps/ripents keep people coming back, as it is a new experience for the players.

    And apologies for starting a heated debate about xp mod, I don't really care as long as there are a couple of normal servers to play on.

    I hope your horses remain safe, I have no love for the idea of pain to an animal, and find that most animals I meet have a mutual respect with myself (they seem to hate assholes though, gotta love instinct).

    As for heated discussion, it is sometimes necessary (to get things to their root concept), no apologizes needed. I expect servers of all kinds, entmod, xp mod, hook and rope. Thankfully, the new AI with move and attack will change the way the old maps work. I simply don't want some people's dislike to affect the development of the whole. There is no reason to kill something that doesn't affect you if you chose not to let it (I mean 'you' as a generalization for those taking that position). No one really should advocate destroying a mod, they should just avoid it if they don't like it. That is to say that no mod affects someone, if they don't play at a place that has it, so go elsewhere if you don't like what they are running. If there is no where else to go, then either STFU or make your own place (but don't tell them how they should play, just because your own enjoyment is hurt) (again, I'm using the general *you* not the specific *you* to you personally).

    You seem like a reasonable person, so I have no reason to hold any grudge against you.


    Quote Originally Posted by JPolito View Post
    I stopped with the question about ponies, you know.
    If we can accept bygones can be bygones then yes, we're totally done. I'd like to go into the pony discussion more, but this hardly seems the place. Btw, your avatar looks really familiar, like some 80's actor... (I'll have to look up the meme in your signature though, I've seen the Milkshake reference a lot in the past 3 week, not sure it's origin).

    btw, I have no idea where 'bygones be bygones' comes from, but it seems fitting.

    /Hell if we could all just stop trying to change how others do things because it hurts our enjoyment while in their house, we'd all be better off.
    //Or the thought of it bothers us, so we want to tell them how to live... we need to move on.
    ///Slashies courtesy of fark.com, I had a few saved.
    Last edited by BackAssward; 08-06-2008 at 06:15 AM.

  18. #43
    Regular Sph!nx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,323

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Now it's clear why I interfered? Was not really needed to mock me.

    Everybody like the game their own way, is that so hard to understand?

  19. #44
    Contributor goanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Watertown, New York, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,259

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    I want a pony!

  20. #45
    Banned Crapaccino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sven Co-op's rapists school
    Posts
    563

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    They should make a mod where the more you kill the harder it gets!

    More kills = less ammo capacity, less health and armor, less weapon damage and so on.

  21. #46
    eats wood Avalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    In a cardboard box.
    Posts
    227

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozku View Post
    Minor mods like "use to pick up minigun" and unstuck are great since they improve gameplay without actually changing it.
    Wow, I forgot that I even made that. It's nice that someone uses it.
    Run. Think. Shoot. Live.

  22. #47
    n00b > You ShadowCross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    I have a quick question hopefully someone can answer, In this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=qi3Ptzmp7eg&feature=related he uses a diffrent shotgun and 4:00 I'm just wondering is there gonna be a choice to choose which weapon model you use? I hope someone replies thank you.

  23. #48
    Administrator JPolito's Avatar  
    Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,553

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    There currently is no plan to allow players to use old weapon models, but I suppose you could simply copy the old models into the new game. Only problem would be that some of the animations may be missing. However, a modeller could just modify the old models to use the new animations.

  24. #49
    Overwatch Mod AndY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    362

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Also, both of those shotguns are old (I believe the first is from HL1 and the second came from the Blue Shift HD pack). The one for 4.0 is shown here:

    http://www.svencoop.com/images/osprey2_eat.jpg
    [ PM ][ Overwatch Mod ][ SC ]

  25. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    hey is this downloadable?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •