Thread: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
  1. #1
    Administrator Sven Viking's Avatar  
    Manager
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8,099

    Post Forums down tremporarily, etc.

    UPDATE: The forums are working again now! The database had to be restored from a backup, however, and it looks as if the last 24 hours or so of forum activity have unfortunately been lost in the process :/.

    Just a quick note to mention that, as you may have noticed, the forums are down. Our host is having some problems with its database server -- hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

    Sorry about the lack of news recently, by the way, and apologies especially to those who've donated but have not yet received a confirmation from me . This time the cause is that we've been busy making real progress on the mod, though, so I hope you'll forgive us. If all goes well, it shouldn't be too much longer before we begin to have some good news to bring you.

    In the meantime, here's a screenshot Sniper took earlier. I felt it came out really well .

  2. #2
    Overwatch Mod AndY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    362

    Re: Forums down tremporarily, etc.

    Just as small note about this:

    It seems we may have lost anything between 24 to 48 hours worth of forum activity since they have had to restore databases using backups.

    We'll look into setting up a better database backup system but hopefully this kind of thing won't happen again.

    Thanks.
    [ PM ][ Overwatch Mod ][ SC ]

  3. #3
    Sega*SC Lead Mapper Kraid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    22

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Ok guys, listen:
    We know you've got less time,
    we know you worked hard, and we also know you want to bring the whole huge (and i mean HUGE) finally, finally, finally the next Sven-Coop. Look on yourself. Look who you are. Masters of such a DAMN big community! You decide what they do. You decide what thousands of people will play. Or rather you already decided.

    What i want to tell you is, that you dont need much more to bring thousands of people the best theyve ever seen the whole year. I am Mapper of an HL-Mod too! We got new renders, graphics stuff, maps and so on. Models including. I dont want to show our mod, but i just want to show YOU what can be done in days! Its called Arrangement/Arrangemode. Every day we bring much more stuff, every day is epic for the mod.
    The point is: I think you can do the same! I think you just need one whole fucking week to bring us what we want! Please, do so!
    What you need anymore? We saw the videos, we saw the stuff you added, we CANT WAIT ANY MORE TIME! Tell us what you need and I will do EVERYTHING i can to help you!

    Dear Sven, please take this to heart!
    Take one time full energy in your mod, one time to finish what youve done so far, what GREAT thing youve done so far, and then you may have and endless pause!

    May the holy chubby decide....



  4. #4
    Banned Crapaccino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sven Co-op's rapists school
    Posts
    563

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Holy f*cking cool as shi* Batman!!!!!WANT!!!!

    That 12 gauge turned out very sexy!

  5. #5
    Someone Special cscarlet's Avatar  
    Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Mr Magics SC Server
    Posts
    6,402

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Is this to do with the fire at ThePlanets DC 1?

  6. #6
    User? Gucio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    131

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Shotgun looks even more detailed than hl2ish as seen there, nice!

    Btw. What's Paranormal Games (didn't find anything on forums about it, and there's no specific info on site)?
    No.

  7. #7
    Administrator Sniper's Avatar  
    Manager
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    7,121

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gucio View Post
    Shotgun looks even more detailed than hl2ish as seen there, nice!

    Btw. What's Paranormal Games (didn't find anything on forums about it, and there's no specific info on site)?
    Paranormal Games is Andy's game company. Andy has taken over as the Project Coordinator for Sven Co-op. He'll be sort of, helping us out -- in the words of Bill Lumberg from Office Space.

  8. #8
    Overwatch Mod AndY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    362

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Paranormal Games is Andy's game company. Andy has taken over as the Project Coordinator for Sven Co-op. He'll be sort of, helping us out -- in the words of Bill Lumberg from Office Space.
    And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...
    [ PM ][ Overwatch Mod ][ SC ]

  9. #9
    Take cover!
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    147

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Nice picture! Finally I don't have to look at this ugly bastardization of Tor anymore.

    Oh and, just a nitpick, but the weapon origin on the shotgun is kind of odd...too slanted. IMO the low definition MP5 (9mmAR) is a good example of a weapon origin.

  10. #10
    Mapper or something ozku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Varkaus, Finland
    Posts
    524

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Looks awesome, I just have to ask one thing. Have you created some kind of "High quality" version of normal HL textures? I ask this because most of those textures look much better, or maybe it is just me

  11. #11
    Come to me my little friend, look at the fire... SSCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Virginia, United States
    Posts
    500

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Keep up the good work. Its making progress. Wander when it'll be finished... any idea on what percentage you think 4.0 is at?

    Btw. What's Paranormal Games (didn't find anything on forums about it, and there's no specific info on site)?
    I was wandering that my self when I looked at it the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Random User
    If I had an attitude towards you, there would be a lot of fucks and fucking towards you.
    I have no idea what to say to this other then the following: LOL

  12. #12
    Overwatch Mod AndY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    362

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by SSCP View Post
    Keep up the good work. Its making progress. Wander when it'll be finished... any idea on what percentage you think 4.0 is at?
    You'll find out very soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by SSCP View Post
    I was wandering that my self when I looked at it the first time.
    It's not really important at this point in time, so we didn't see a reason to mention it.
    [ PM ][ Overwatch Mod ][ SC ]

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    35

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    don't forget the lotsa blood & gore
    the shotgun in the back flying away dead body.

    the chaos & the fear of big fights etc

    Looks great guys;
    the gar has really much improved; it's like the T rex of Jurassic Park.
    I'm looking forward to seeing this baby in action.

    Hope we dont have to wait much longer now.

    Dont forget the Sven formula; gameplay before graphics

    I hope btw they really stop this point gathering bullshit on the servers.
    Ive seen people with 300 healths. That just ruins the entire concept of sven coop.

    Damn that fuck german that created the online mod to rape svencoop
    Should be banned that fucking WOW bullshit pathetic point noobie gathering.

  14. #14
    Mapper hrothunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southern Missouri, US
    Posts
    445

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Don't forget to serverely break XP mod in the update, to the point where it can never be implemented again!

    Last edited by hrothunder; 03-06-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    [I stoled it from GB, who stoled it from JP][I had the first 4.0B server available to the public]
    [Я достигнул 200 постов в Советском Ко-оп]

  15. #15
    Administrator JPolito's Avatar  
    Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,554

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by hrothunder View Post
    Don't forget to severely break XP mod in the update, to the point where it can never be implemented again!
    ;D

  16. #16
    Fight or die fighting. Sparatan010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    327

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by hrothunder View Post
    Don't forget to severely break XP mod in the update, to the point where it can never be implemented again!


    LOL! Can't wait for that day!
    My childhood story on how I got hooked on videogames(click grunt)

  17. #17
    Nothing to see here. BackAssward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    388

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    I don't care about the XP mod one way or the other, but why would you want anything killed? Don't like a mod (xp or otherwise), don't play on that server. Seems pretty simple to me. Snarkcafe has a rewards mod too... kill that also? Let's also kill amx_mod because noob admins use it to re-map keys and stuff (instead of just avoiding those servers). We should also kill hook-mod / rope-mod, do you see those noobs flying around cheating on the maps, not playing them how they were meant to be played (I mean on other people's servers, I can disable it on mine, but damn them, I want to dictate what they can and can't do on their servers). Also, fireworks mod really lags me, other people shouldn't be able to use it on their servers so I can play on their servers without lag.

    How about you worry about what you do on your server, and avoid the places that do things that you don't like? I know people who don't like swears, but I'm going to damn well swear on my server if I chose, regardless of their sensibilities. Maybe sven coop should be hard coded to filter out swears too? I mean, we have to make everyone happy right?

    Ok, I started to get into the absurd, but if your argument to kill a mod is valid, then so are mine. Especially hook and rope mods, since your exact argument fits to them as well. They'd have to kill noclip and godmode too if your argument was valid, and snarkcafe's snarkrewards and their !donate commands too.

    To eliminate just the xp mod and not other cheat mods would be arbitrary and discriminatory based on your personal likes (or some sense that you have the moral superiority to decide how others play on their own servers), not any objective reasoning.

    Where do you stop choosing what others do on their server?
    Last edited by BackAssward; 03-06-2008 at 08:46 PM.

  18. #18
    Mapper hrothunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southern Missouri, US
    Posts
    445

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    I don't like it because pretty much every populated server runs it now. I used to be able to play with a bunch of people without the xp mod.
    [I stoled it from GB, who stoled it from JP][I had the first 4.0B server available to the public]
    [Я достигнул 200 постов в Советском Ко-оп]

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    35

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    the xp mod totally ruins the delicate balance of the sven coop gameplay.

    You got people rushing through a level leaving other people behind and totally destroying the teamplay effect of this mod.

    I like the teamplay. I like getting shot at till I reach 5 health and someone rushing to my aid.
    The other goes around too
    .I like how you have to take cover and sometimes retreat in order to heal and reenter the fight.
    Or how you sometimes get completly owned by the enemy.
    Or how you are shooting like a mad man with your shotgun at an overwelming force of aliens; in a fight to stay alive ( and then survive - awesome ;p )

    When you got people with 200 healths and unlimited ammo they dont care about teamplay.
    The XP mod promotes selfish playing. You got in fact dumb fucking noobies owning the map.
    People with absolutely no skill. Or stupid lame assholes that just wanne get more & more points.
    The whole WOW experience is just pathetic.

    It just totally unbalances this game.
    + people will get tired of playing sven coop with the mod cus you losing alot of fun in the struggle to survive.
    I'm getting tired of it.

    sven coop 4.0 should not be compatible with the XP mod or anything related to this.
    I dont understand how the creators of this mod let someone totally destroy the concept of this game.

    Btw if you want me to create a promo vid for sven coop 4.0 you can always contact me
    I'm into video editing semi pro ;p

  20. #20
    Mapper or something ozku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Varkaus, Finland
    Posts
    524

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    I hate xp mod too. But tbh, I think creator really did not mean to ruin gameplay with it or anything, he has stopped developing xp mod and I am sure we won't see it in 4.0 (unless some stupid fan decides to do it).

  21. #21
    Ready, steady, go. Gut-Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On my chair
    Posts
    78

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by hrothunder View Post
    I don't like it because pretty much every populated server runs it now. I used to be able to play with a bunch of people without the xp mod.
    One word: SnarkCafe.

    They may have the stuff like teleport/blink and superjump for people who spend enough time on the server, which could be regarded as debalancing (if that's even a word..), but better than being stuck on an xpmod server.

    Nice to see an update though!
    Free from gravitation

  22. #22
    Banned Crapaccino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sven Co-op's rapists school
    Posts
    563

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    If you ask me, Sven Co-op official server was the best. It was a faithful sven experience.

  23. #23
    Nothing to see here. BackAssward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    388

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by KhenRigzin View Post
    the xp mod totally ruins the delicate balance of the sven coop gameplay.
    I still don't see a valid logical argument to kill one 'cheat' mod and not the others. Hook mod allows you to cheat on a map and destroy the balance and game play. So does allowing server owners to use godmode, they shouldn't be allowed to do that then either. There's also snarkcafe's snark rewards. As for noobs owning the map with no skill, now you sound just small and resentful (I used to be great but now these people who play longer beat me...) I have the world's tiniest violin for you. Hook also lets noobs own a map without skill. Teleport, yup that too.

    It's fine to say xp mod destroys the experience (for you), and you can go on some holier than though trip on how you feeling it destroys the game (and cry about the little noobs owning your superior skill), but we'd probably have a lot less users now without it (why replay the same old maps over and over?) As for the statement "how it was meant to be played" I didn't realize you guys commenting were the original designers and developers, to make such authoritative claims.


    Quote Originally Posted by hrothunder View Post
    I don't like it because pretty much every populated server runs it now. I used to be able to play with a bunch of people without the xp mod.
    Your basic argument is that it ruins your experience of the game, and you can't go anywhere that doesn't have it. So basically, you are saying you should be able to dictate what others run, and your enjoyment should come before the sovereignty of a server owner and players doing what they want *on their own frigging server*.

    How about you set up your own server and stop whining about what others do that you don't like? Set it up without xp mod, and see how many people come play the same old maps, knowing they're going to get nothing new. (Of course, someone will try to take the attention away and say "4.0 is something new", yes but 95% of the maps will still be old, and it's not like we're getting another sven, so it won't be new for too long. That misdirection doesn't actually address the crux of my argument either).


    Lastly, I still haven't seen an argument for disabling xp mod but keeping snarkrewards, hook mod, rope, etc. (other than personal feelings, but no actual logical argument). Any argument for it being a cheat and breaking the way the game was made to be played, fits the same for the rest of those mods (and a lot I haven't listed). Basically, you have to do away with AMXMODX under your arguments, otherwise you are just being discriminatory against one, with no objective reasoning behind it.

    Maybe you should realize that other people's servers are not there for you specifically. That in reality, you have no right to tell them how to play, just because it's no fun for you. It's their server.

    (I can't believe how many people think that their enjoyment should trump server owners rights to host as they see fit. Host your own how you like and STFU. Forcing others to play how you want is the most juvenile thing I've heard. Some people need to have their heads removed from their arses.)
    Last edited by BackAssward; 04-06-2008 at 08:04 PM.

  24. #24
    Administrator JPolito's Avatar  
    Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,554

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    I don't care what people install on their servers, but when every server copies off of the popular servers and installs the same goddamn mod, it starts to get very old very fast.

  25. #25
    Overwatch Mod AndY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    362

    Re: Forums (were) down tremporarily, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crapaccino View Post
    If you ask me, Sven Co-op official server was the best. It was a faithful sven experience.
    Agreed. I hate mods, I want SC the way it is.

    We'll bring back official crap-free servers with the next release.
    [ PM ][ Overwatch Mod ][ SC ]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •