Thread: People are still using WON? Seriously?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation People are still using WON? Seriously?

I gather from things i've read here and there that people are still, using WON. If i had known this years ago I would have been playing on WON2 svencoop years ago. Why does everyone act like this is the big secret in the closet no one wants to know about? Everyone acted like WON was dead and now I know people still using it? WTF!?

absolute cherry

Re: People are still using WON? Seriously?

It's rather pointless to stick with WON, that's why noone talks about it.

For sven?

I can't really see the point in doing so other than that people dislike steam or have a certain nostalgia in WON/older sven.

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

from what i have noticed recently, the usual steam-disliker are people who do not have a legit copy of half-life and thus finally have to buy it to play SC
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

a.k.a Sgt_Waffles

When I worked at Radioshack back in the day we used to have to use WON versions of Half-Life to play on the cash registers; it was the only version that could connect between all the registers in the store for LAN games. The only other use I can think of for WON is playing extremely old mods that died without steam compatibility.

Don't know what all this WON2 business is about; even if Steam can be a nuisance for some, you would think that hacking the game to run on a bootlegged network would not be a whole lot more convenient.

Contributor

WON2 can has fog, Steam cannot.

Other than that, I still have a working WON2 HL setup for testing maps because the Steam network is very unreliable, as well as their direct game downloads tend to be corrupted. (For example my CStrike crashes when attempting to create a listenserver - everything else works fine, though.) Also, when a friend visits me, what better can there be than running around in stalkyard or x-fire in HL Deathmatch, spamming tripmines and impulse 101 with the rule not to stop walking and not to stop placing mines? xD Oh and by the way, there is only one WON2 Sven Co-op 3.0 server, and I was heavily lold at for playing there for fun when the people there got to know I was "that famous person" who made SCXPM. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    WON2 can has fog, Steam cannot.

Other than that, I still have a working WON2 HL setup for testing maps because the Steam network is very unreliable, as well as their direct game downloads tend to be corrupted. (For example my CStrike crashes when attempting to create a listenserver - everything else works fine, though.) Also, when a friend visits me, what better can there be than running around in stalkyard or x-fire in HL Deathmatch, spamming tripmines and impulse 101 with the rule not to stop walking and not to stop placing mines? xD Oh and by the way, there is only one WON2 Sven Co-op 3.0 server, and I was heavily lold at for playing there for fun when the people there got to know I was "that famous person" who made SCXPM. xD
    You made SCXPM ? Well in that case the mod has too many levels ups :P And mp5 gives ar grenades for ammo reincarnation that i coulnt change somehow even if i edited the damn file and compiled it , it somehow just didnt take effect
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WON? When I started playing Counter Strike and Half-Life, I started playing on steam. Never found out what WON was until about a year later. I think steam is pretty fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    I was heavily lold at for playing there for fun when the people there got to know I was "that famous person" who made SCXPM. xD
    You made the XP mod?!

die die die die...

Quote Originally Posted by pooperoni_pizza View Post
    You made the XP mod?!

die die die die...
    Quoted for truth!

Quote Originally Posted by pooperoni_pizza View Post
    WON? When I started playing Counter Strike and Half-Life, I started playing on steam. Never found out what WON was until about a year later. I think steam is pretty fine.

You made the XP mod?!

die die die die...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crapaccino View Post
    Quoted for truth!
    Oh, come on! A bit harsh?

I haven't played an XP server in months, but I'm not gonna fault someone for creating something that was obviously popular - and very much liked by a lot of people. Why're XP servers so popular, anyway? Is there a minority of people playing a majority of the XP servers? Or is the majority of people who dislike XP more likely to be vocal about it on the SC forum? Hmm, doesn't quite make sense that so many people seem to be AGAINST XP, but they are the most populated servers...

"I only play XP because other people are there; I don't like it, though"
    Yeah, right - you might be just screwing around (or not?), but this type of mentality pisses me off as much as people who sue McDonalds because they're fat fucking slobs who can't control what they eat.

I thought this thread was about Won.. not the XP mod. Stop bitching about that now.

Yes. There are few servers (some are pretty decent) there and they are running fine. And it's better that people don't know much about it as it would propobally increase number of morons there
    Maybe level of idiots on STEAM makes some ppl don't play on it?

Offtopic:
    And I don't blame (as I called him) mr. "Famous guy" for creating SCXPM.

Tester

Atleast steam fixed the out of SFX bug and is a "bit" more stable. Because I know some time ago when I played with WON for a LAN svencoop was crashing too often. Out of SFX and some other error messages I cant remember..sometimes it was crashing to desktop without any message.

In steam crashes are 85% less but maybe thats also an "exception case" where others say huh? STEAM CRASHES ALL THE TIME FOR ME
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,
    and told to take no Prisoners.
    Visit http://www.youtube.com/NostalgicGames

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

yeah, the "unfriendly" steam was gone pretty quick. there's no reason to bitch on that track.
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

There is actually patch thing that fixes issue with out of sfx_t (I am not talking only about so called 1.1.1.2 update...).

Pretty much you think about WON players like pirates that suffer from large number of bugs (that somehow never happen to me) and don't know about STEAM goodies (it's not irony, I understand that STEAM have some improvments) etc and we think about you "el stupidos". That's called stereotypes.
    I guess that most of you don't know too much (possibly because you played it ages ago) about WON 2 and that's why you talk about it in that way.
    At least that's my opinion about it.

i use non-steam or won whatever you call it and everything works fine for me lol.

Hm. I've used WON until a lot of Sven Co-op Maps would get errors and won't run anymore, with no fix around at that time.
    Thats when and why I started using Steam.

WON (unfortunaly) IS dead. Valve shut the Servers down.
    Theres a (legally questionable) project named WON2 -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WON2 which is mainly used for CS 1.5 and suffers from cheaters.

There are currently no Authorization (or "Auth") servers to assign unique player IDs and enforce bans for cheating or other misbehaviors.
    I don't really see the reason of playing there these days, other than not owning a HL copy and unpunished cheating.

I don't really see the reason of playing there these days, other than not owning a HL copy and unpunished cheating.
    And mind you, possibly (if not at all) the only way Sven Co-op server administrators would be able to ban mischief makers is by their IP. It wouldn't be a good idea to go back to WON. ;o

We are happy that you don't want to go back. Why? Because nobody wants you here

"Why don't you walk away? No buildings will fall down
    Why don't you walk away? No quake will split the ground
    Why don't you walk away? The sun won't swallow the sky
    Why don't you walk away? Statues will not cry"

That pretty much sums up what I wanted to say (hope nobody mind that I used this song lyrics as quote).
    Last edited by radjak; 17-08-2008 at 04:05 PM.

a.k.a Sgt_Waffles

I could sum up what I like about steam pretty easily:
    1. widescreen support, Sven in 1080p
    2. less clunky interface, quick access to configuration/customization without screen blinking in and out, better support for running in a window
    3. random map option, awesome idea, use it every day
    4. fewer glitches, probably just cause it's still updated.
    5. buying games without going to the store, not having to keep up with keys, cds, manuals, or other miscellaneous grahdoo.

Quote Originally Posted by radjak View Post
    We are happy that you don't want to go back. Why? Because nobody wants you here
    Don't go that way or you will make it so nobody wants you here.

Off-topic:
    That was rather supposed to be joke (anyway I don't think you could even warn me for these words if spoken seriously).

With this post I quit my presence in this thread.

No? If you check my user title you know I'm a moderator. So I can warn you.

I won't, because this is clearly is misunderstanding. You should also know that sarcasm does not work on the internet.

Developer

Reasons why I don't use Ste@m:
    1. Widescreen support doesn't matter with a regular screen monitor.
    2. Adminop and metamod give you an excellent interface, if you don't like it, write your own! Standard H/L interface also is ok.
    3. Again, metamod and adminop allows you to run any map in any order.
    4. Can't think of any glitches of the top of my head, other than some random errors in maps.
    5. I don't have a credit card, so I can't buy games online.
    6. Can't download required updates because of crappy 4kb/s download speed at home.

The Won2 network may not be 100% legal, I am not a lawyer, so I can't say, but it will be around for the forseeable future.
    BTW peoples, sfx_t error has been fixed a long time ago, also there is an update to v1.1.1.2.
    If I think of more, I will be back. (This is your warning)

Manager

The only valid reasons that you gave were 5 and 6. The other ones I don't think I quite understand. You can run server mods on Steam too. 'Random Errors' doesn't suffice as a reason because you can't give any of those errors, and as far as I've been able to tell, there are no random errors in maps on Steam. Any error that I've come across is fixable and is usually caused by faulty game code, bad mapping, bad modelling, and so on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast