Thread: Does svencoop work on Vista?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Does svencoop work on Vista?

It seems there may be a simple way of fixing this, for me anyway. Had people joining me last night for the first time since running Vista. The only thing I did different was to lower my security from medium-high to medium ( the lowest Vista will allow). Don't know why this would affect a listenserver running Sven Co-op. Nor do I know for sure if that was what fixed the server problem or if it was simply the Steam update to the HL1 enegine.

cool, thanks for sharing the info,
    i'll try it on my side and report back.

If I had a nickel every time you said that...

I don't know what the problem is, but I'm running on a Vista Notebook and I can host, manage, and play on a server just fine!
    When formality rips apart, only then will you realize that life is just a set back...Nuff Said

same I have 64bit vista and can run listenserver fine

Manager

Sounds like a fresh install of HL1 and Sven Co-op is required for those it doesn't work on.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

i've reinstalled steam/hl1, sven many times, its a windows problem hosting a listen server on vista, or an IE7 security problem as stated by goanna, i havent had a chance to try it out yet tho.

Manager

I seem to be able to host an Internet Listen server on Vista, but not a LAN server, by the way. Works fine on XP.
    Sven Viking

Would be nice to know if it was the security settings or a steam update. When you get around to lowering your security settings let us know if it worked.

it doesnt seem to be a security setting, i tried with med-high and medium (ie: lowest setting for ie7)

But, i found the problem: Valve's ... hem ""brainiacs"" changed the Steam AppId codes for some reason or other and forgot to tell everyone, so they broke the serverlist!

Didn't anyone at Valve notice they went from 50 000 home made servers down to like 5 in a day ?

Here's the fix (pay attention to #3 and 4, and don't hesitate to put the text file in every HL based game/mod's folder) :

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...svencoop+appid

They never cease to amaze me. Not

My thanks to qUiCkSiLvEr

This worked for me, so let us know if it worked for you all
    Last edited by h0rnytoad1; 10-11-2008 at 06:33 AM.

Manager

Ah, thanks!! I didn't know if affected listen servers as well as dedicated. Will need to post that in the news, too, I guess.
    Sven Viking

This didn't seem to work for me, but I'm still trying to run listen, does that only work for dedicated?

A bit off topic, but I am able to run a listen server for left 4 dead and have internet clients connect and play with me. My ports are forwarded to my server computer, so it would appear as if valve has implemented a new listen server system in which port forwarding is not required for the l4d engine.

I wonder if they care enough about hl1 to implement this.
    [I stoled it from GB, who stoled it from JP][I had the first 4.0B server available to the public]
    [Я достигнул 200 постов в Советском Ко-оп]

you're right it is off topic. hl2 based games are newer and specifically made for Windows xp/vista so its only hl1 that has this problem, wich svencoop3 is based on.

Anyway this fixed the issue for me, but i still can't wait til sc4, but in the meantime, L4D works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by h0rnytoad1 View Post
    you're right it is off topic. hl2 based games are newer and specifically made for Windows xp/vista so its only hl1 that has this problem, wich svencoop3 is based on.
    Valve has been updating the hl1 engine...
    [I stoled it from GB, who stoled it from JP][I had the first 4.0B server available to the public]
    [Я достигнул 200 постов в Советском Ко-оп]

Contributor

They may be using upnp for routers that support it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play

who's using upnp? valve?

have they finally started to use that?

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by h0rnytoad1 View Post

Anyway this fixed the issue for me, but i still can't wait til sc4, but in the meantime, L4D works fine.
    Sorry I should have quoted the above, would be nice if valve added this to the hl goldsource

would be very nice if they did, it would make router and firewall problems a thing of the past !

Manager

UPnP is just a giant hole in security anyway... IPv6 worldwide would be a better solution, as each house could have many MANY public IP addresses. UPnP is also not intended for permanent servers anyway, I'd not want this on HLDS.

At least when you open holes in your firewall yourself you KNOW what you're opening and not letting some random application open up the firewall as it pleases.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

If malware does get in then UPnP becomes a big security hole, sure, but security hole or not, thats not Valve's problem. as for permanent servers, no one mentioned that, we're talking about a listenserver. meaning while the user is playing.

its the antivirus's job to handle that virus in the 1st place anyway.

A simple solution would be to have a port tester built into steam, if steam detects that the installed game's ports arent open it should let the user know that this game or that game probably won't play as expected and give the port info to us so we can do what we need to do to open them.

A simple solution to a simple problem.

But no, we have to google the info, sometimes you don't find it right away have to search a while, a hassle just to play.

and just to steer the conversation back to the topic at hand, it would sure have helped to know if the communication was going out when i was having my listenserver problems. that port tester would have been a good idea ingame.

Contributor

I should have said I was aiming this at listenservers
    Last edited by cscarlet; 11-12-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12