Thread: Anyone tried Sven on linux?

a.k.a Sgt_Waffles

Anyone tried Sven on linux?

I'm thinking of switching my file server machine which is sometimes used as a client for SC over to linux (version undecided), and I was wondering if anyone here has played Sven Coop on a linux box to know I can fire up steam and connect to a network game and all without errors or other weirdness. Guides I've read say half-life works in Wine, but I don't know to what degree taking mods into consideration. Any thoughts?

The machine is a celeron 700 w/ 512mb and Geforce 6600GT if the specs make a difference. Really ought to do away with the old thing but it's just so damned reliable.

Contributor

Re: Anyone tried Sven on linux?

Many have tried and whined, if you know how to get it working via Wine do it, if not I recommend running it via Windows as thats what it was designed for (Before anyone moans no linux programmers have stayed long enough)

a.k.a Sgt_Waffles

Well, it's not too crucial being computer #7, so I won't let it stop me from reloading that computer, but I figured I'd give it a shot since reviews of Windows 7 pre-beta are making me think I'm gonna go ahead and skip another microsoft OS, much to my chagrin. I have a feeling the people that said Half-Life runs on linux probably loaded up the old won version, which I do not miss in the least. I'll screw around with it and if I do manage to get it to work (with steam) I'll discuss it here.

Gonna go now and try to figure out what version of linux is best for someone that's used to Windows but remembers DOS...

I've got Steam working using wine on my Ubuntu machine, I can't find the guide that i used originally but there's one on the Valve dev wiki with some links to others.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w...am_under_Linux

Contributor

Eh steam servers are fine on linux, just need to ensure you have an up to date linux version.
    If I am honest I still wish Microsoft would produce a desktop version of their server os, 2003 is fine (not had the chance to try out 2007 yet)