Thread: LAN Servers are restricted to local clients class c

Exclamation LAN Servers are restricted to local clients class c

" LAN servers are restricted to all local clients ( class c ) " error is a common problem for everyone including myself, so I decided to come here for some help on this error for all to suggest how to fix it. Im having this problem on all mods and yes even the default game.
    Here is my information

Half life installed : Yes
    Version : 1.1.1.0 ( best version or so I heard )
    Im hosting a : Dedicated Server
    Net : Broadband Cable Modem No Router
    Error : LAN clients are restricted to local clients class c
    Used Hamachi? : Yes
    Did it work? : No
    Put sv_lan 1 in command parameter and server.cfg? : Yes
    put sv_lan 0 instead sv_lan 1 : Yes
    Did that work? : No
    Clients Router? : No
    Tried Other versions? : Yes
    Did they work? : No

No problems with my girlfriends router at all it's the server im trying to host

Me and my girlfriend have tried virtually everything but it hasn't worked at all

I really need help on this, any help would be appreciated

any suggestions?

Shattered Heart Lynx Gabre Ladders's Avatar

Re: LAN Servers are restricted to local clients class c

Quote Originally Posted by suicide767 View Post
    " LAN servers are restricted to all local clients ( class c ) " error is a common problem for everyone including myself, so I decided to come here for some help on this error for all to suggest how to fix it. Im having this problem on all mods and yes even the default game.
    Here is my information

Half life installed : Yes
    Im hosting a : Dedicated Server
    Net : Broadband Cable Modem No Router
    Error : LAN clients are restricted to local clients class c
    Used Hamachi? : Yes
    Put sv_lan 1 in command parameter and server.cfg? : Yes
    put sv_lan 0 instead sv_lan 1 : Yes
    Did that work? : No
    Clients Router? : No
    Tried Other versions? : Yes
    Did they work? : No

No problems with my girlfriends router at all it's the server im trying to host

Me and my girlfriend have tried virtually everything but it hasn't worked at all

I really need help on this, any help would be appreciated

any suggestions?
    Using Steam: I guess no

Ah yes the dreaded steam

No im not using steam but have tried that too and had no success because my girlfriend couldnt join anyay since her protocol was 46 and the steam was 48. and we have used non-steam before. and we are trying to do it again. steam gave us alot of hassle.

Erm, what is your local IP? That error has to do with the IP range you and your buddy have.

Go to Start, Run, type in cmd, click OK, type in ipconfig, Enter, and you should get something like the following:

Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Qwerty>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : wildblue.com
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.84
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1f:d0ff:fe21:85ad%6
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    The part I want to know is "IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :".

EDIT :: Your IP range must be between 192.0.1.1 and 223.255.254.254 (according to this source). Wikipedia says that a Class C IP range is between 192.0.0.0 and 223.255.255.255.

So that means, for the first of four it must be in the range of 192 to 223; the second of four must be in the range of 0 to 255; the third of four must be in the range of 1 to 254; and the last must be in the range of 1 to 254.

If a players IP is outside of that range for a LAN server, they will not be able to connect to your server. Set sv_lan to 0 to allow them. If you set sv_lan to 1, only people within that IP range will be able to connect.

EDIT2 :: Using Steam would be much easier if you just did it right. I assume that you have a Steam account with Half-Life registered to it, and in that case, you want to install Steam on Machine#1, login to your account that has that, download Half-Life, start Half-Life and then exit Half-Life (you need to do this so that Steam can create some files for Sven Co-op's installer), and then install Sven Co-op. After you do that, start Sven Co-op through Steam, configure and personalize your stuff there, then exit Sven Co-op. In Steam, go to File and then select "Go Offline...," and wait for Steam to go offline.

Then repeat the same process on Machine#2. After finish with Machine#2, startup Sven Co-op through Steam from BOTH Machine#1 and Machine#1. Then start a Sven Co-op server on Machine#1 with LAN enabled (or sv_lan 1). After Machine#1 is in the game with the player holding a gun, open the server browser on Machine#2 and goto the LAN tab -- search for Machine#1 in the server list, you might have to refresh. If this doesn't work, you can use the console (`~) to connect to Machine#1 (you need to have developer console enabled if those keys don't work). If Machine#1's IP address is like 192.168.2.63, then you want to type connect 192.168.2.63 in the console for Machine#2.

Alternatively (for starting the server on Machine#1), you can type sv_lan 1;map stadium3 in the console on Machine#1. Then you can connect Machine#2 using the connect command.

EDIT3 :: And when it comes to Steam...
    ...that doesn't matter. Although these version numbers are still technically used by Valve when they make updates to Half-Life, they usually identify the "Build ##" instead. The updated versions of the Half-Life are "infected" with Steam material, which requires you to HAVE and run Steam if you want to play it (unless you crack it with a no-Steam patch, which is illegal). This is why you get a build/version mismatch error.
    Last edited by Qwerty; 21-12-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Shattered Heart Lynx Gabre Ladders's Avatar

Ah yes the dreaded steam

No im not using steam but have tried that too and had no success because my girlfriend couldnt join anyay since her protocol was 46 and the steam was 48. and we have used non-steam before. and we are trying to do it again. steam gave us alot of hassle.
    Both of you need to be Steam with the Latests Version of Half-Life in it (in the account I mean).

Contributor

If I use Steam it works without Hamachi (when in lan, and sv_lan = 1), but note that non-dedicated servers do not appear in server list since one of Steam's super-gay-fuck-everything-up-updates some months ago. Just connect with the connect console command. ("connect 1.2.3.4")

For having someone connect through internet to your server when using Steam you will have to use Hamachi.

Without Steam, using original HL version, it works in a LAN, with sv_lan = 1, when you remove your internet connection before starting the game. (Since Steam, the WON-version of HL will tell you that your version is outdated, but no new version is available when trying to connect to anything.) It is supposed to work then.

It works the same with WON2, except that you don't have to terminate your internet connection before, since it has a changed version of woncomm.lst, and that way does not connect to any of Valve's servers, but to (as far as I can tell reputable) third party servers. You can even play online then, but in an non-legit servernetwork. None of the servers you find in Steam's version of HL will appear in the WON2 version of it, and vice versa.

I severely appreciate your help guys, but as I had said before, We had got half-life working without steam, mygirlfriend had 1.1.1.2 patch and I had 1.1.1.0 at the time, sv_lan 0 reffuses to cooperate with me now and gives my girlfriend the lan clients class c error, if i do sv_lan 1 it will keep saying " retrying " for my girlfriend and after 4 attempts the connection fails.

I am trying to host a dedicated server without steam, as I have done this before.
    as i said, I appreciate your advice, but do you know anyways of solving this perticular problem ( us to use non-steam ). we had used steam before but she had a version error with my server, her protocol wasnt the same preventing her from joining. anymore solutions?

also btw, with 1.1.1.0 ( me ) and my girlfriend ( 1.1.1.2 ) neither of us get the version outdated error.

Sir, suicide767, I/we have helped you to the maximum extent possible. The information I provided is an explanation of why you can't play, and thus identifies where your obvious problem is. But you are not listening.

And it would be highly recommended both of you have the same version; just because it doesn't give you a version outdated error YET doesn't mean you won't get one.

Contributor

1.1.1.2 is a steam version of half life isn't it?

Yes it is the steam version, but yet before i was on 1.1.1.0 and she was on 1.1.1.2 and she was able to join on sv_lan 1 but now we both on same version and i put sv_lan 1 and she gets lan error, and if i put sv_lan 0 it tries connecting to WON servers and doesnt work.

Qwerty, i do appreciate your help very much but as I said before we hadn't had problems and I cease to understand as to why it HAS to be steam, and even so, when we used steam her protocol version wouldnt change to 48 instead it stayed at 46.

If it isn't Steam, then both of you have to have exactly the same builds and versions of clients and engine.

Ok -- so if now you solved THAT issue, and you get this LAN error -- then this is the next step.

The Class C error is very self-explanatory. Her IP or your IP are not in the correct range of IP addresses. You need to manually set that or get a router.

Contributor

Qwerty, i do appreciate your help very much but as I said before we hadn't had problems and I cease to understand as to why it HAS to be steam, and even so, when we used steam her protocol version wouldnt change to 48 instead it stayed at 46.
    Because the WON version is no longer updated where as the steam version is updated once in a blue moon