Thread: The Water Works

Manager

The Water Works

Description

Xen aliens that escaped from the Black Mesa disaster have taken over a public sewer system and poisoned the treated water going back out to the public, killing anyone who drinks public water.

Your squad was sent in to stop this happening. However when your team went down what was the only unguarded enterance left to stop the Xen, you all ended up trapped in a small maintenance room below the car park. The Xen has become aware of your presence and is ready to stop you terminating their plans.

You must reach the treatment centre and stop the Xen aliens from poisoning the fresh water any further then escape the sewer system. Be prepared for a rough getaway!

Top tip: If you find breakables aren't breaking try using explosives to destroy them instead. Explosives are only found in 3 rooms through the whole map so look around.

Screenshots

Additional Credits

"LM City" sky map by Der Kommissar at Crinity.
    http://crinity.planethalflife.gamespy.com/

BMT for giving me the idea to use sprites above key objectives, and many other ideas for
    improvement. Go play his new incoming map!

Thanks JPolito for reminding me to make a thread, that I should have done 2 months ago...

Testers

Ultra mega super thanks to all the Sven Co-op 4 team for letting me test my map on the 4.0 alpha and beta code through our SVN repository. Thanks to those of you who tested the map for me too.
    http://www.steamcommunity.com/groups/SvenCoop — #SvenCoOp at GameSurge.

Links

Download complete map.
    Sven Co-op maps database entry.
    Screenshots gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc_waterworks_001.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	13699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc_waterworks_002.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	13700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc_waterworks_003.jpg 
Views:	554 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	13701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc_waterworks_004.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	13702  
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Re: The Water Works

Looks promising, downloading now.

Looks fun and child-like. =D

Manager

It's quite hard .. the monsters that is. I seem to remember some of the testers getting confused on where to go next too.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Gotta test this with my friend. I have been waiting to play this map since I first time saw it in Sven Coop MapDB

Edit: Played it. Looks quite promising. First areas could use some improvements with lightning and some corridors were too narrow for more than 2 players. Map had well balanced difficulty, not too hard or too easy. Overall, I had good time in it with my friends.

Btw, we found a funny bug in the last area, we somehow managed to block the truck and that caused players to spawn in wrong location.

I recorded a short demo about it (camera might be f'ed because I used 3rd person view),
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ozku; 11-03-2009 at 04:02 PM.

Manager

Thanks for playing, and giving me feedback

Firstly, I know the corridors are a bit narrow -- I should have fixed that to begin with tbh. It would be quite hard now though as I'm at the leaf limit.

Also aware of a door in the toxic barrel area opening showing some null, but you didn't mention that

I'll watch the demo shortly
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

I liked it, very simple and short yet effective. Just when you thought it was over you got a cool car chase like scene which was nice, although I fell out the truck and every time I spawned I flew out again lol, I had to quit there.

7.8/10

Manager

Unfortunately lag is the biggest contribution factor to falling out the truck as you spawn trigger push being a complete arse doesn't help either.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Pwner/Owner of Stixsworld Stixsmaster's Avatar

Actually I played with sum friends on my server on this map the other day...

And in the last area...if you do not have a user standing in the back of the truck at the edge most likely users will spawn in truck but so high up that they will just fall out of it and land on road and well hit the black wall and die...

The only way we found to fix this was to quit the server if that ever started to happen to everyone and then rejoin...then it would not happen...

It was weird...and up till then everything was going great...

---Stixsmaster
    - Sig removed. Read forum sig rules here:
    http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    Unfortunately lag is the biggest contribution factor to falling out the truck as you spawn trigger push being a complete arse doesn't help either.
    I played it on my own listenserver, no lag whatsoever, and it still happened. I'm afraid it is indeed your fault for not at least putting a brush or something to stop players from being ejected out of the vehicle.

I have no idea why you did not even bother fixing this map-breaking bug before release. It was a very frustrating experience especially since I was alone.

Oh uh, great map by the way

Thanks for using desert eagles, I love those.