Thread: Super Half-Life Tools 3.9

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Contributor

Thumbs up Super Half-Life Tools 3.9

Super Half-Life Tools 3.9

An update to Zoner's Half-Life Tools 3.4.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    These tools are no longer under development. For a version of the compile tools which are still in active development and have superceded the achievements of these tools by far, do refer to vluzacn's version in the thread "custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn".
    (You have to browse the thread to find the latest version in an attachment)

Credits:
    • amckern:
      • Support for 64 bit systems.

• Protector:
      • Developed a new special entity to safe resources with.

• Silencer:
      • Hunt down bugs, improve readability of the console output, increase and test raised limits.

• The predecessors Valve, Merl, XP-Cagey and Zoner:
      • They still did most of the job after all.

• vluzacn:
      • Major, important bugfixes.

Changelog:
    • 3.9:
      • Fixed sky texture in zhlt.wad.
      • Fixed major bug that caused holes and invisible walls in collision hulls. (vluzacn)
      • Fixed bug that caused multiple brushes in a func_water to be processed incorrectly. (vluzacn)
      • Phlt_copy_brush in shlt.fgd now has Bit-numbers labelled on its spawnflags.
    • 3.8:
      • Obsolete light entities (no targetname) are now automatically removed at the end of hlrad.exe.
        • This feature can be disabled with the parameter "-nolightremove".
      • Fixed an issue where the keys "phlt_cpm_target" and "phlt_cpm_class" would not be removed from the phlt_copy_brush entity at the end of the compilation.
      • Minor syntax improvements on the shlt.fgd.
    • 3.7:
      • Retrieved speed of VIS by removing frequent passing down of an info string to hlassume().
      • Added new parameter "-noconcolors" to disable colored console output.
      • Added a new small entity shlt_entity_wildcard, which does nothing more than emit a trigger_auto and info_targets to be killtargeted after a map has loaded to enforce server operators to make use of the num_edicts HLDS parameter. This should be used on high fidelity maps to ensure there are enough edicts to use up while the map flow progresses.
      • Added ripent.exe.
      • Including updated shlt.fgd.
      • Download now only as a complete pack with all binaries and sourcecode.
      • Removed SSE1-build because it was just slower than the others.
      • Internal: Added functions MarkEntityAsRedundant(), AddEntity(), RemoveKeyValue(), BoolForKey() and strins() for use for the new but still unfinished shlt_countdown entity.
    • 3.6:
      • Fixed a logging syntax error.
      • Fixed bad compilation parameter for the 32 bit compile.
      • Fixed version indication.
      • Included zhlt.wad to all *.zip-files.
      • Attaching an *.fgd-file for the new entity.
    • 3.5:
      • Console output easier to read.
      • Colored console output for warning and error messages.
      • More information on common error messages.
      • Increased several mapping limitations. Among these:
        • Limit for leafs is now 4 times as big. The engine does not appear to moan about this.
        • Increased entity-, engine entity-, entity datastring-, entity key- and entity value-limit to more than you will ever need.
        • Increased default maximum texture- and lighting-data-limit to 32 MB.
        • Increased arbitrary limits.
      • Made a special compilation for x64-machines. Note that the tools are mainly designed for x64. There are x86 tools, but the code they are based on partly uses x64-optimized code. The 32-bit tools will work on 32-bit machines nonetheless.
      • Added a new point entity, phlt_copy_brush, which allows to change its classname to any you want upon map compilation, e.g. func_wall, and then take the model/appearance of an existing unique brush entity by targetname. With this, you can, for example, make many clones of some prefab you are using a lot, without furtherly approaching map limits. Any additional keyvalues added with SmartEdit disabled will be kept, allowing for perfect copies which are indistinguishable from the original in appearance and function. It is adviced, that the entity which's appearance you are copying over possesses an origin brush. If you want to rotate the copy, you may use a func_wall with the "Use angles"-flag set. However, note that "Use angles" is a Sven Co-op feature which is likely to not be available in other Mods. In such case, use a func_rotating instead. Furthermore, note that some entities will cause massive errors when having an origin brush, e.g. func_water. For such cases, look at the offset of the original entity to where the copy is supposed to be, and offset the phlt_copy_brush entity that much from the origin of the coordinate system (0, 0, 0). Also, note that the copies will look exactly as the original, including its lighting and decals placed on it, no matter whether from map start or while the map is running (bullet holes, sprays, blood, etc.), and that the copies cannot emit texturelights.
      • Internal: Added the possibility to append an information-string to the hlassume method. (If you have no interest in the source code, you can ignore this change. You will see nothing of it. It only exists to enhance some console outputs easier in the code.)

Frequently asked questions (FAQ):
    • Q: Which version of the tools should I use?
      • A: Try using the 64 Bit version at first. If you receive an error when trying to run it, try using the 32 Bit version without SSE. For final compiles, use 32 Bit SSE2, no matter whether you are on a 64 Bit or a 32 Bit system, because SSE2 is more precise when compiling, thus can prevent strange errors from occuring, but also slower. SSE1 is actually slower without any visible advantages to the other tools, and thus pretty useless. If you want to know what all that 64/32 Bit and SSE stuff is about, use the internet to inform yourself, but be aware that as explanations go into detail you'll probably hardly understand what's going on.
    • Q: Why are these tools notably bigger than the old ones?
      • A: That is because of some code optimization done by the compiler. Bigger code, but faster code.
    • Q: Can I still run these through VHE?
      • A: Not tested, but should work. Learn how to use batch files if it does not work. If it does work, learn how to use batch files anyway. They are much easier to use and allow for the -estimate parameter on the tools.
    • Q: Why do all tools reject to run?
    • Q: Why is there only one version of the tools for 64 bit systems?
      • A: SSE exists for 32 Bit CPUs only. Therefore, making x64 tools with SSE is not even possible. All 64 bit processors possess the SSE2 architecture for common usage and to run 32 Bit programs which use it, though.
    • Q: Will more updates on this come?
      • A: If there is a need, there is a will. Just let me know in this thread if there is something you think should be changed/added/looked into.
    • Q: Why "Super"?
      • A: The traditional Half-Life Tool convention shows that whenever the tools development changed its developer, the new developer puts his name in the tools' title. That probably was okay, since back then huge changes were applied. But now, that we are only doing small changes, and multiple people are applying these, we don't want the title to include one specific name anymore, so I just prepended "Super", to indicate they are ahead of the old ones.

For command reference, you can still visit the original website of ZHLT, zhlt.info.
    SHLT 3.9 with sourcecode can be downloaded here: http://zyl.pestermom.com/projects/software/shlt/SHLT-3.9.rar
    Last edited by Silencer; 20-10-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Updated

Re: Super Half-Life Tools 3.5

Thanks for releasing these to the public, they should be very useful.

Manager

Epic. Going to be using these from here on out. I'll let you know if there's anything wrong if I ever encounter anything.

Contributor

Thanks for the quick responses. Was already expecting "OMGOMGOMG THIS CRASHES MAH PEESEA!1", lol.
    These tools, supposedly, run perfectly fine. Note that x64 and x86 versions of the tools can react different
    to critical situations. The outcome of the "error-throwing-priority" (I just named it so), is different for these
    two compilations. E.g. the x64 tools say File write failure when you exceed MAX_MAP_LEAFS, while the 32 bit
    version gives you a notice about a missing closing brace. The 2 errors are very similar, since they both re-
    present an error that has occured within the data that is to write into the *.bsp. I added some warning
    messages for the MAX_MAP_LEAFS case in special, to prevent massive confusion (if one should ever manage
    to make 32768 leafs in a normal mapping attempt). Nonetheless, all versions will output the same final
    *.bsp, except they really say otherwise with yellow and red messages, while many warnings are still only
    insistent notes which basically can be ignored.

EDIT: Okay there are more ominous side effects on x86 than expected. Appended a big purple "BETA" to the thread title.
    The x64 show no problems. Been using them here on big complicated maps for days with success.
    Last edited by Silencer; 01-05-2009 at 06:54 PM.

You might want to include the lights.rad and zhlt.wad files in the zips for people using them fresh and not as an update to ZHLT.

small bug in hlcsg, whith the brushes discarded from clipping hulls line.

Code:
    Brushes discarded from clipping hulls: 5 (totalling 1 sides)
    the 5 and the one are supposed to be the other way around.

And the "set WADROOT=" batch command for csg got screwed up too in these tools, had this set to the full path of were my wads were, the wads are in a different partition then the bat script is, while it worked with ZHLT CSG it doesn't with this, fails to open the wads. Had to use the : command to switch drives in the bat script for CSG to read the wads.

Would it be possible to raise some of the other limits, like clipnodes? sc_reflux and monaween is within 1% of of the clipnode limit.
    Last edited by cartman-2000; 02-05-2009 at 02:03 AM.

Contributor

I have not tried if clipnodes can be increased. They are labelled hard limit.
    About the variables being swapped: Yes, I must have been really tired when I rewrote the log call there. o.o
    About uber strange bugs: I accidently left a dynamic link to ATL in. Thanks to JPolito for testing 4 quick debug
    compilations in a row, I was able to find that out. ;-) About wad.cfg failing: That is the only thing in the world-
    wide code which requires the ATL stuff. What I did here should fix it. Uploading new version, soon. Want to test
    carefully, first.

EDIT: About lights.rad: Use info_texligts. Much handier. AH! I totally forgot the *.fgd for the new entity. D;
    Please be patient.

Contributor

Re: Super Half-Life Tools 3.6

Okay updated it all to version 3.6. 32 Bit tools should make no problems anymore.
    Would be nice to have the wadcfg function tested in special, for x64, too.
    EDIT: Sticky please.
    Last edited by Silencer; 02-05-2009 at 06:23 AM.

Have to add this to QHK.

Manager

Stickied.

Nice work, I am going to use these

I'll let you know if I run into any problems.
    Last edited by ozku; 02-05-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    I have not tried if clipnodes can be increased. They are labelled hard limit.
    About the variables being swapped: Yes, I must have been really tired when I rewrote the log call there. o.o
    About uber strange bugs: I accidently left a dynamic link to ATL in. Thanks to JPolito for testing 4 quick debug
    compilations in a row, I was able to find that out. ;-) About wad.cfg failing: That is the only thing in the world-
    wide code which requires the ATL stuff. What I did here should fix it. Uploading new version, soon. Want to test
    carefully, first.

EDIT: About lights.rad: Use info_texligts. Much handier. AH! I totally forgot the *.fgd for the new entity. D;
    Please be patient.
    The "info_texlights" entity wasn't in the SC4 fgd so I never really knew about it.

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    About lights.rad: Use info_texligts. Much handier. AH! I totally forgot the *.fgd for the new entity. D;
    Please be patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by cartman-2000 View Post
    The "info_texlights" entity wasn't in the SC4 fgd so I never really knew about it.
    i use mapname.rad, for me easier than the entity (as its not in the fgd anyway) or using one lights.rad for all
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

I have a couple of questions -- I apologize if these have been addressed already.

First off, do the 32 bit versions work correctly? Could you possibily explain what, if there are any, problems with the 32 bit versions have when using them on a 32 bit operating system?

Secondly, do these compile tools increase an un-mentioned face limit within Half-Life? When I was working on Momma Mesa, I had to cut back on the amount of detail within the map, due to the engine simply refusing to render faces after the map hit a certain level of complexity. No errors were reported; like I said, it was as if there was an un-mentioned face limit that I was starting to hit.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by G.Ballblue View Post
    First off, do the 32 bit versions work correctly? Could you possibily explain what, if there are any, problems with the 32 bit versions have when using them on a 32 bit operating system?
    Yes. Are you having trouble?
    Secondly, do these compile tools increase an un-mentioned face limit within Half-Life? When I was working on Momma Mesa, I had to cut back on the amount of detail within the map, due to the engine simply refusing to render faces after the map hit a certain level of complexity. No errors were reported; like I said, it was as if there was an un-mentioned face limit that I was starting to hit.
    Unsure about faces, the leaf limit is 4x it was though.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Contributor

That is the MAX_MAP_PLANES limit, which has been set to a too high value in older versions of ZHLT. (Pre ZHLT 3.4)

Take a look at this extract from the source code of the tools:
    Code:
    // SILENCER: The following two are hard limits. Tried doing more, but just as said in that
    // mail from ages ago, some faces just don't show up and ocassionally, the game crashes.
    #define MAX_MAP_PLANES      32768
    #define MAX_INTERNAL_MAP_PLANES 256*1024
    // (from email): I have been building a rather complicated map, and using your latest 
    // tools (1.61) it seemed to compile fine.  However, in game, the engine was dropping
    // a lot of faces from almost every FUNC_WALL, and also caused a strange texture 
    // phenomenon in software mode (see attached screen shot).  When I compiled with v1.41,
    // I noticed that it hit the MAX_MAP_PLANES limit of 32k.  After deleting some brushes
    // I was able to bring the map under the limit, and all of the previous errors went away.
    NOTE: If your faces are disappearing, that does not even mean that you exceeded this limit.
    Alone the fact having this limit set to too high values in the compile tools already easily causes this problem
    when you, e.g., are only at 25% of the 32k limit. That is because of the way the compilation process is assembled.
    Try using my tools, and the map should run fine after a recompile.

No, I can't say I've used the tools yet (with the exception of Protector's beta version that he released many months ago.) I didn't mean to make it seem as though there were any problems, my apologizes :x

With the faces; the 4x leaf is undoubtedly great, don't get me wrong (the leaf limit was one of the very reasons why I had to rebuild Momma Mesa from the ground up in the first place!) It's a difficult issue to explain, because there is such a thing as "faces" in a typical compile log. The interesting thing is, I never hit the "face limit" according to my compile tools, ever. Yet, as I have explained, MM began refusing to render faces (all of which were brush entities, if that sheds any light on the issue) and the map had to be cut down to size to get everything to render on screen.

Anyways, sorry to be nuisance; these tools sound like a kickarse step up from the old school tools I've been using (ZHLT P Series in my case.) I'll see if I can give the "Super Tools" a spin in the near future.

Edit: And whadaya know, Silencer nailed down the exact issue I was having with that e-mail he mentioned. Had no idea it was a max planes issue; thanks for that info.

Contributor

Protector bugged some things in his tools actually, which I fixed.
    When he was blindly increasing limits and copy-pasted 1048576 (1024*1024)
    everywhere, he actually lowered some values which were formelerly larger.
    I already told him about this, and he responded with an affirmative "Oh".

I gave these tools a whirl. Nice to see development continuing on the compile tools to take advantage of processor features. I can't say I noticed a significant difference in compile times (I haven't run RAD yet because my laptop overheats, and I'm using 32-bit 'cos I'm on WinXP), but hats off to the phlt_copy_brush entity! It's a godsend!

No more will we need to painstakingly change every single brush entity like light fixtures if we made a little mistake to begin with or want to improve the design, we just change one master copy. Brilliant!

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

Quote Originally Posted by generic View Post
    No more will we need to painstakingly change every single brush entity like light fixtures if we made a little mistake to begin with or want to improve the design, we just change one master copy. Brilliant!
    Just, texlights do not work with it and you need (nearly) the same brightness in the rooms which also makes it rather useless.
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Puchi View Post
    which also makes it rather useless.
    Honestly, I think that's just you. It helps get away from the 512 model limit and the leaf limit greatly, especially when using many brush entity triggers and complex prefabs. And why the hell would you make texlights into entities? They are only simple cuboids.

The light fixtures I used it for are not texture lights but have a light entity and a flame sprite. The fixture itself is a candle that doesn't emit light. My problem was that all those light fixtures hosed the entity limit. This solution was near enough perfect. It also helped fix another problem where if I wanted to change the design of the light fixtures I would've had to go to each and every one and change it.

It is limited in that it doesn't carry over any special properties of the template entity like render effects, but it's still a very handy entity.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by generic View Post
    It is limited in that it doesn't carry over any special properties of the template entity like render effects, but it's still a very handy entity.
    Readd them in the phlt_copy_brush entity. (Disable smart edit) They will be kept.

Contributor

Updated information on phlt_copy_brush entity, since there has been confusion.

Ultimate Monster Mapper amckern's Avatar  
    Programmer

I found that these tools are SLIGHTLY faster then 3.4 final (RAD is very fast)

3.6 SSE2 On

CSG
    Texture usage is at 3.50 MB (of 32.00 MB max)
    5.14 seconds elapsed
    BSP
    3.17 seconds elapsed
    VIS
    75.81 seconds elapsed [1m 15s]
    RAD
    120.64 seconds elapsed [2m 0s]

3.4 Final

CSG
    Texture usage is at 3.50 mb (of 4.00 mb MAX)
    3.70 seconds elapsed
    BSP
    2.91 seconds elapsed
    VIS
    74.23 seconds elapsed [1m 14s]
    RAD
    443.55 seconds elapsed [7m 23s]
    Last edited by amckern; 12-06-2009 at 05:34 AM.
    SC Kicks ass!

My Maps - SC_28, SC_AVP, SC_Duno, SC_Max, Opposing Forts, SC_Massive, SC_Oni
    My Web Sites - AMMAHLS

What does the Translucent texture do?
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast