Thread: Never 09

Never 09

Some of you may remember an annoying Xen map I released following the success of Incoming back in 2003. Well here's the 2009 version, now with 60% less annoying. Lost the .rmf's a LONG time ago so i've had to ripent things around, but I spent quite a bit of time on it and am glad to say I also managed to find the error that was causing crashes many years ago.

In January I playtested this with a few other people from the SC IRC channel, one of them was very helpful on the voice mic telling me how to improve the map, I've actually forgot who it was, sorry, but thanks to that chap! I wanted to spend way more time on this adding a hint system, but I really don't want to waste anymore time on it so I've just had to go with the lame option of putting instructions in the MOTD. I'd rather people enjoy the map by getting through it easier than intended than find it too puzzling and think it's a pile of shite.

It's set in Xen and has puzzles and fighting, with a few custom sounds and models thrown in there, and an extended ending if you can finish off the last boss with less than 30 deaths. Enjoy.

DL LINK - LATEST VERSION INCLUDED IN 4.5 CREEPSWORLD MAP PACK

SC Map Database page - check this for screenshots

Old thread archived here
    (if i appear to sound like a prick in this thread, blame teenageness)
    Last edited by BMT; 05-12-2010 at 06:12 PM.
    Maps Released: BMTCoop, Incoming (with SC2.0F), Incoming '08 (with SC4.0B), Never, Never '09, HLDMCC:Crossfire
    Maps in Development: Incoming 2.
    Media Released: SC4 Trailer

[ HLDMCC:CROSSFIRE RELEASED ]
    [ Visit the SC Map Database ]
    [ Death by Paperclip on YouTube ]

Contributor

Re: Never 09

Quote Originally Posted by BMT View Post
    and an extended ending if you can finish off the last boss with less than 30 deaths. Enjoy.
    Hah, was thinking something like that for my map too, probably as a time limit with number of players less than X at any point in the map... Yet I got the idea from WoW again. There are bosses that give better loot if they are killed within a timeline, and since that can't be used as a reward at the end of an SC map, an extended cutscene should be nice enough.

Pwner/Owner of Stixsworld Stixsmaster's Avatar

Thx will add to server once crashing issues are fixed in v4.07...

---Stixsmaster
    - Sig removed. Read forum sig rules here:
    http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578

Manager

Just played it, this is win
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

I always liked the notion of rewarding players if they played well, I'll be implemented it into Incoming 2 rather than the old method of just rewarding them if they find secrets.

Have to point out though, the final end fight broke when me and AdamR just played it on his listen server. Two of the six buttons you have to hold until triggered wouldn't trigger. If anyone else can test it and confirm if the ending works for them, would be nice! If if doesn't work it'll need another quick fix. Otherwise i'll just put it down to AdamR being a berk.

Update: I think I will release a quick update to it tomorrow, with a couple of tweaks to make sure the end fight definitely doesn't break.
    Last edited by BMT; 10-05-2009 at 09:16 PM.
    Maps Released: BMTCoop, Incoming (with SC2.0F), Incoming '08 (with SC4.0B), Never, Never '09, HLDMCC:Crossfire

Crashed at the retinal scanner for some reason

I've never had a crash at that point Hell-met, not sure what's happened there. Anyway, just uploaded 09 version 2, link is in original post. The ending shouldn't break now and a few other things were tweaked. Don't intend to update this anymore now, so I hope it's bug free.

Yeah I'm starting to think it's on my end, because no one seems to mind 4.0 as much as I do.

Ah yes, I remember playing Never years ago.

Downloading now.

If I make another server which specializes in non-HLSP/They Hunger maps, I'll use this.
    A server used to occupy this sig, but I've had some trouble running it.

MOS 6510 @ 1.02 MHz /w VIC-II Cesar's Avatar

The old version was so unfit for SC 4.0 that I actually had to upped the deathcount trigger to 75 or something. Now it seems less annoying as you said. lol

Just crossed a few bugs:

1. After you placed the four cones in the hole, the sound sequence has an inconsistent volume. First comes the [Play Everywhere] "WHOOOOOOSH!" sound, but then the zapping beams and the web gibs sounds play at a softer volume from its center location. If these could be played louder with "Play Everywhere" tags or other methods, the sound intensity for the sequence would be smooth.

2. In the final arena, Houndeye's shockwave can break the crates that's beneath the floor, which causes the trigger with the poles to malfunction. Put immune tags on those crates or something, but make sure they can be crushed.

3. Missing wall texture at the end of the secret area. Not sure if that's intentional.

OPTIONAL: Give all monsters witty or obscure names. The flying skull looks kinda odd having "Alien Controller" for its name, IMO. lol

Also, great job on fixing the crashing issue on some servers. What would be the recommended "deathcount" for servers with 12-18 players?

Ah, lovely work Cesar I hadn't noticed at all, the pushable crates are set to breakable, very stupid of me, although I'd never thought the houndeye's shockwaves would get down there. The missing texture isn't a problem. I thought I'd already set the name of the controller to something else, must've missed that :O

Plus, servers shouldn't have 12+ players, I don't make maps for those kinds of playercounts :I

uploaded version 3 with Cesar's fixes test it out if you can.

MOS 6510 @ 1.02 MHz /w VIC-II Cesar's Avatar

Just found out that some monsters did had custom names. Just rename the "netname" class to "displayname". The flying skull name is now fine, at least.

stop ripenting my map heh, i realised that too, all of them are set to netname instead of displayname, another 2003 rookie mistake.. and a 2009 rookie mistake for not noticing. they're not important really, unless anything major comes up v3 should be the final release. thanks for your help cesar, test it out with your friends for bonus points

bleh, I should probably stop saying "this will be the final version". Updated to v4, makes the Zaeon arena alot less annoying, with weapons being supplied on spawn and alien grunt numbers reduced. This will probably make the map damn easy if you have 6+ players, but it's worth it to decrease the annoying factor. Replaced all the netnames with displaynames while i was at it

update: added another one, version 5. tested it with adamr and i somehow broke the skull Zaeon boss, fixed it with v5. and i changed the order of the stage 2 button sequence to try and combat the crash that Silencer somehow had.
    Last edited by BMT; 15-05-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by BMT View Post
    Plus, servers shouldn't have 12+ players, I don't make maps for those kinds of playercounts :I
    I concur. Those servers can go suck over 9000 lemons, and then over 18000 limes.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons