Black Mesa Nightmare: Director's Cut

PROGRESS:

Chapter 1 - Grim Solitude

Chapter 2 - Morbid Descent

Chapter 3 - Ascension

Chapter 4 - Surface Tension

LINK TO SCMAPDB PAGE: http://scmapdb.com/map:black-mesa-ni...director-s-cut

------------------------------------------------------

I started this as a project during my winter break. Went slow at first but now I think its starting to finally develop into something I like. The object here was to take all the old Nightmare maps and redevelop them using skills I learned from mapping in the Source engine. So far the result has been extremely appealing, so I decided to share it with you guys. I plan to keep most of the puzzles the same. Nothing will be necessarily "removed", although it might be altered a bit to fix previously existing gameplay/performance issues. There WILL be additions to the maps, new areas that didn't appear in the old ones, as often as I can make them. Most of the current puzzles have been completely redone for simplicity and are hopefully a bit easier, and more forgiving, this time around.

Thanks to the release of SHLT 3.6, I am no longer hitting MAX_MAP_LEAFS, yay!
    So I will proceed to finish map 1 asap.

The areas in these screenshots are subject to change, but most likely will stay the same. Anyhow, I am open to suggestions and feedback.

All these screenshots are from Chapter 1, and like I said, are subject to change.

Feel free to provide feedback! I will be updating this as often as I can.

Re: Black Mesa Nightmare: Director's Cut

Whooooo!
    Great Work, show that Engine Limit who's boss!

Tester

Those screenshots look really impressive! Cant wait to play the first chapter!

Contributor

for i think you should have fancy scary custom models and sounds this time

Cool beans, the original BMN was a pretty impressive set of levels, though it definitely needed a bit of a face lift. The shots so far look very impressive so far, so keep at it.

Wow now thats impressive, almost inspires me to make more maps. Hope you finish this project!

Contributor

yeah i saw this on the mapdb. very impressive screenshots. perfect blackmesa style mapping.

Contributor

This looks very nice.
    Only things I'd criticize is the inner texture of the arcs in the 2nd screenshot not going with the outer texture at all
    and the render amount of the glass in the 6th screenshots being too high. Try 15.

Here's some more:

These are new pics from the updated box puzzle. Notice the bottomless pit has been changed and if you fall down, you can now swim back to the beginning and climb onto the catwalk.

The train area is still WIP but I should be done with it soon and then I can proceed to making an ending for the first map.

Some notes about the box puzzle:

- The boxes wait for at least 1 second before continuing down the path after turning. When you need to jump from box to box, it will wait for a max of 6 seconds.
    - All the boxes have had their speed reduced.
    - The door controls are no longer located near each other. You must run alongside the person on the boxes to turn the valves and let them through the doors.
    - The boxes are constantly intersecting the catwalks, so the button controller has an opportunity to be smashed if he/she is careless.
    - You can no longer die if you miss a jump and fall. You will simply fall into a pool of water and you may climb back up and try again.

My reason for adding the catwalks comes simply from the fact that most people would not be able to alert the button operator in time about when he/she needs to open the doors. Now that the controller has a direct line of sight to the person on the box at all times, they can decide for themselves.

Manager

Very nice. I look forward to your progress.

Thanks, JP.

I'm also going to be adding a new type of secret to the maps, if it is possible.

Basically, in each map there will be a hidden weapon. Whether you find it or not, is decided by your attention to detail and patience I guess. Obtaining the secret weapons will aid you in killing the monsters faster, as they will be set to deal an increased amount of damage in the map Skill file. If I can get a working system, weapons that are found in one map will be available to players in the following maps, as a sort of reward for being adventurous . I'll see if I can get some env_globals going to make this work somehow.

As far as the secrets are concerned, the only hint I can give is that they are all related to my screenname, which in-game is "Volcom82". Once you play the maps you might understand how they work ;D

Oh and one other thing...
    I am at 98.8% usage on Clipnodes! :[
    I've got two more places to make, and that would be the Drain in Silo D, and the control room for the water... I hope I can fit it all in without overloading, 400 nodes remaining and they get used up rather quickly.

The screenshots looks really nice and the secret weapon will be fun to try to find. Keep up the good work I will download and play episode 1 with my mates when its available

Manager

Just checking, have you heard of the method of placing clip brushes everywhere that is not accessable to players or where the space is too small for players to fit into in order to reduce clipnodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy of Escondido's Mapping & Compiling Errors
    When the maps are compiled all the 3d 'space' a player can get to is broken up into convex regions just like brushes are required to be, alot of them are extremely small or too small for a player, and if you put a CLIP brush over them they don't become clipnodes at all.
    http://www.slackiller.com/tommy14/errors.htm#clipnode

Yeah, I am trying to do that as much as possible. Most of the nodes came from the underwater labs though. I've been removing a few floating objects here and there to gain back some nodes... I guess the game really doesn't like angled objects that are raised off the ground, lol. Anyway, if push comes to shove, I can always remove a few more objects, because there just isn't really anything else I can clip off at this point.

Thumbs up Re: Black Mesa Nightmare: Director's Cut

The screens prolly don't do it justice. I'm ready for some new adventures. Lets go!
    heal to be healed....

kill or be Killed!

I've renamed chapter 1 to "Grim Solitude"

Also, map 1 is officially complete. All that's left to do is debugging and it's good to go.

Played it today with some of you guys and a few pubs. Thanks to everyone who came to help me test!

I'm working on fixing the bugs we found asap, and then that should do it for Map 1. Map 2 comin soon!

You are really good mapper, nice job.

Some early Chapter 2 screenshots:

I have titled it "Morbid Descent"

These are from the spawn and the first hallway with the Barricade. They are still WIP as I need to add a few more details here and there.

Looking forward to the rest of the updates, keep up the good work!

My apologies for not updating this thread much lately. School started and I've been devoting pretty much all my time into that. I've been doing a little bit of work here and there on Chapter 2 as well as bugfixing Chapter 1. However, now that things have lightened up a bit I can finally work on it more!

I'm afraid to say that I most likely won't be able to make the Mapping Contest deadline (yes I am aware it was extended to the 30th).. but don't worry, maybe I can get it done by Xmas :P
    Besides, the more time I put into the map the better it will turn out.

Anyway, with all that aside, I have one WIP screenshot to show.

This shot is actually from the intro sequence (its still very much WIP)

The monster_sitting_scientist in the train is Setorigin'd. I love that little entity :P

Anyway thats all for now, more to come!

I'm in your Sven Co-op, coding stuff Protector's Avatar  
    Programmer

I very much like your style, good man. Love the sitting scientist in the train. Your mapping is most relevant to my interests. I wish I had some subordinate clauses in this post.

Tester

Looks sweet, love the details.

trigger_delay & func_lazy TrEmPlEr's Avatar  
    Artist

You really should use some models too for props !

here
    Modstatus: Unknown

awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome and AWESOME.
    Can't wait for it man, awesome screenshots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast