Thread: Dead Simple Neo 2

Manager

Dead Simple Neo 2

The original Dead Simple Neo was released two days after 4.0 came out. It was supposed to be a small tribute to the classic Doom 2 map Dead Simple, created during internal 4.0 beta testing in about 1-2 months. After the map was released, work on the update was immediately begun, but was suspended until around June. I cooked up a small update in 1-2 weeks, but during a private test of the update I realised the map had much more potential.
    I've been working on this new update non-stop for about 2 months. The end result is probably the most innovative and well-polished SC map I have created so far. It's also very likely to be the last.

Listing all the changes from DSN1 would take a while, but among the most notable changes are: Lag and crash proofing, new mode-selection system, and most importantly, completely reworked gamemodes.

The map features 4 different selectable gamemodes. 3 of these gamemodes are losable.

A quick rundown on the gamemodes:

1. Classic Gamemode: Monsters spawn in waves, and in the end you fight the boss(es). There are no lose conditions.

2. Overload Gamemode: Extract energy from all 8 Pads using the "Doom Box". After each extraction you must bring the box to a Stabiliser within 25 seconds, or it will overload, taking damage. If you fail to stabilise it 3 times, the box will break, resulting in failure.

3. Protection Gamemode: Your goal is to keep Barney alive. Each wave you get the chance to select a bonus by moving Barney into a beam. There are 4 different bonuses to choose from.

4. Gonome Hunter Gamemode: Your mission is to hunt down 20 Super Gonomes. While attempting this you must ensure that your team does not suffer 20 deaths itself.

In each mode you will have to fight through 8 different waves of monsters with increasing difficulty.

Screenshots:

WARNING: It is important to note that this map is very net-traffic intensive. The performance has been vastly increased since the previous version, but there are still issues. Beta testing has shown that a server with a 448 kbps upload is capable of handling 4-5 players fine, but once 1-2 extra people join in, pings will skyrocket. Keep that in mind before trying to play this with 32 people. I wouldn't recommend this map for more than 8 players anyway, as it would simply become too crowded and too easy, missing the point of the map.

ANOTHER WARNING: Playing this map on a server with XPmod or other server mods that take up text channels will result in the players missing some of the text messages. This map is best played on vanilla Sven Co-op. If you read the briefing you should still be able to make it through the map, even with some of the messages missing.

NOTE: If you don't have the patience to read a <2 minute briefing, this map is not for you. I don't think maps should be limited by some players' impatience. I've done what I could to make the intro interesting, and the final version is also set to include voice acting, so it might be a bit more interesting to follow. You are also able to skip the intro once you have seen it the first time.
    However, if you can't even make it through the briefing, you are going to have just as much trouble on the map. Winning this map requires all the patience, focus, communication and teamwork you can muster. Unlike 99% of svencoop maps, this one can actually be lost, and trust me, I haven't made this map easy for beginners. You'll probably end up losing a few times before you get the hang of it. The reason for this is that I wanted the map to have replayability even after players managed to figure it out, and not simply have it be a breeze every time.
    You can also just chicken out and play the Classic mode, but doing that won't give you the full ending.

The map is included in the SC Contest Mappack:

SvenCo-op Contest Mappack

Have fun!

Re: Dead Simple Neo 2 - Losable Gamemodes Galore

So is this version 2? Great map anyway. Everyone should try it atleast 5 times.

Manager

This map is pure fantastic.

Excellent job Nih.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Manager

I decided to designate it as a sequel to distinguish it from the first, because they really have radically different gameplay. The map has also changed a fair bit since you last tested it, heh

It's a good horde type defense map. Essential that it is played with more then one person though as its friken hard.

Tester

Wooo...! I hope i will soon a have an opportunity to try this .

Kick ass. It was a pleasure to test this map, and it really evolved over the various updates you made.

Great map, the multiple gamemodes gives this level an extremely long life span, and it's a level that's both a genuine challenge and is fun to play.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by CryoKeen View Post
    It's a good horde type defense map. Essential that it is played with more then one person though as its friken hard.
    I'm not sure why you'd classify this as a horde/defense map. Did you play the same map as i did? :|

I would definitely recommend at least 3 players before attempting any of the losable gamemodes. Gonome Hunter might be doable with 2 players, but it will definitely be a challenge. Me and Gballblue made it to wave 7 with about 2 lives remaining when the timelimit suddenly ran out (The timelimit has since been increased). However, that was in a version where the Super Gonomes had almost twice as much hp, so it might be a bit easier now.

I tagged it arena on SCMapDB. That is how I see it.

Manager

Added

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    I tagged it arena on SCMapDB. That is how I see it.
    That seems more accurate.

Arena works fine, I meant horde as in the map reminds me of it as a single area and that the monsters don't seem to stop coming

Manager

I'm probably going to shorten and rewrite the intro sequence. Maybe add some more pictures as well.

Hey m8, here are some more mirrors!
    http://www.deved-portal.com/sphinx/F...impleneo2b.zip
    http://www.deved-portal.com/sphinx/F...impleneo2b.rar

Tomorrow I will fix my SC again and if I see you on MSN we can test it together!

Quote Originally Posted by Nih View Post
    I'm probably going to shorten and rewrite the intro sequence. Maybe add some more pictures as well.
    Just let us know so we can update the mirrors.

Does not believe in Sven II El Gringo's Avatar

Anyone else has had problems with this map? Everytime I try to host it, Sven Co-op freezes on the MotD, so far I haven't been able to join a server hosting the map so I can't tell if the problem is server-side.
    Don't mind me.

Manager

It's probably building the nodegraph. Give it a minute or two.

Contributor
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

Manager

Re: Dead Simple Neo 2

I had the chance to play the Doombox and Protection gamemode and it's pretty amazing. Especially the Doombox is a well-made piece of nifty sequences and very origional! Get some friends and play this!

* get's stamp..

There.

Manager

Gonome hunter mode is my favourite mode really like that one.
    This map should be part of 4.1 tbh.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    This map should be part of 4.1 tbh.
    Hello, my name is G.Ballblue, and I approve of this message.

Haven't seen a map go BOMS in awhile. Good call on this one Hezus. I agree, it would be a good addition for 4.1.

Seems like the name of the level lives up to itself :P Havent played it , i wonder it it works well in 3.0 , cuz 4.06b/4.07 have some troubles running
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Anyone else has had problems with this map? Everytime I try to host it, Sven Co-op freezes on the MotD, so far I haven't been able to join a server hosting the map so I can't tell if the problem is server-side.
    +1 it hangs on the MOTD on my listen server. I've tried to reload it twice still no go, no error message either!
    Sven Sluts Server - Chillen the Most!
    http://svensluts.4t.com
    *Server Down till relocation!*

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Nih View Post
    It's probably building the nodegraph. Give it a minute or two.
    me load map in client, copy file client to server

svencoop/maps/graphs/deadsimpleneo2b.nod
    svencoop/maps/graphs/deadsimpleneo2b.nrp

not errror
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks