Thread: Sven Co-op 4.1 News Update - Anniversary edition

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Sven Co-op 4.1 News Update - Anniversary edition

Another crazy idea -- though perhaps too much a stretch -- is one of those portal/mirror effects, similar to the "seamless teleportation" there and similar to Portal's portal effects. I believe this feature was in Unreal Tournament or something in one of the deathmatch arenas where you could fall down through the bottom which would actually also be the top of the arena..

Then again, ... nevermind. Now that I think of it, I do not recall it being in such a way where you could actually see the bottom from the top, so the top and bottom were not in sight of each other...and that means this could still be replicated. (Plus being able to see top and bottom from bottom and top respectively might lead to some loop problems and framerate issues.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    It won't. It'll be called 4.5 when 4.5 comes out.
    *beeooinng*

Sorry, I'll put my boner away.

WOW, imaging all the mazes made with the seamless teleporters O_O'

My apologies in advance.

I have been with Sven Coop for a very long time... pre 1.0?

And I know this is not the question to ask...

When Do We Get The Update???!!!111

Looks awesome guys. Take your time with it and get it right.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

I'm in your Sven Co-op, coding stuff Protector's Avatar  
    Programmer

My apologies in advance.

I have been with Sven Coop for a very long time... pre 1.0?

And I know this is not the answer you want to hear...

When It Is Done!!!111

Thank you. We will.

"When It Is Done!!!111"
    Wow, didn't see that coming! LOL.

Contributor

uhh like many others probly, i still want func_vehicle on sven. dont understand what really is the big issue with it to not include

I wonder, can you shoot through the seamless teleporters?

I remember the Unreal Tournament "window" teleporters... pretty cool to be able to see into the room you're about to enter. I do believe it was also possible to fire some weapons through it as well. T'would be pretty cool to see that sort of thing...

Contributor

It wasn't that accurate if I remember corrected when shooting through the portals in unreal although that might be me just aiming very poorly

Programmer

Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    uhh like many others probly, i still want func_vehicle on sven. dont understand what really is the big issue with it to not include
    Feel free to code one up and give it to us.

@Marb750: No, you can't shoot through seamless teleporters.

Contributor

just snap from CS :dddd

how does the trigger_renameplayer distinguish one player from another before naming? Eg player 1 and 2 are playing. You want to rename 2 to Player2 and use a setorigin to attach a light to that player.
    also could you please explain that theoretical individual player "gold", "xp", or "score" counter? I just dont see how a game_counter could keep track of things individual players are doing-- for example a monster A with a trigger_death value of +5gold (a counter) but how would the death trigger a different counter based on what player kills the monster A?
    Sorry for the complex questions... gearing up for the epic switch of Doom Hunt to 4.1 and just wanting to know whats possible ahead to set up the game accordingly. Also... great work guys--- amazing coding!!!

Programmer

Quote Originally Posted by Raider666 View Post
    how does the trigger_renameplayer distinguish one player from another before naming? Eg player 1 and 2 are playing. You want to rename 2 to Player2 and use a setorigin to attach a light to that player.
    The player has to trigger the trigger_renameplayer, e.g. by walking into a trigger_once/trigger_multiple or by pressing a button. Apart from that you can use info_player_deathmatch to give a player a targetname when he spawns.

also could you please explain that theoretical individual player "gold", "xp", or "score" counter? I just dont see how a game_counter could keep track of things individual players are doing-- for example a monster A with a trigger_death value of +5gold (a counter) but how would the death trigger a different counter based on what player kills the monster A?
    The entvar "enemy" is set to the entity that killed a monster. You could use a trigger_copyvalue to copy the "enemy" value of the killed monster to the "target" value of a trigger_changevalue, which you trigger afterwards. That trigger_changevalue adds 5 to an unused int entvar of the player (afaik there's "spawnflags" and "team"). Then you can use trigger_copyvalue, trigger_condition and other entities to handle those stored values accordingly. That way you could use "frags" for score, "spawnflags" for gold and "team" for xp.

Any info on a info_target or info_monster_goal ? There is some info_landmark as well.I need anything that can help me to set goals for the NPCs , such as procceed towards certain position and then secure it.If you have played my latest map (gearofwar2) , then the first big room with a big hole on a roof should be a target for at least some of the grunts.They should enter that area on theyr own , but i quiet coulnt get the scripted stuff to work , only few out of all actually followed theyr path.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdaemon View Post
    Any info on a info_target or info_monster_goal ? There is some info_landmark as well.I need anything that can help me to set goals for the NPCs , such as procceed towards certain position and then secure it.If you have played my latest map (gearofwar2) , then the first big room with a big hole on a roof should be a target for at least some of the grunts.They should enter that area on theyr own , but i quiet coulnt get the scripted stuff to work , only few out of all actually followed theyr path.
    You can use the Entity to Guard value to get them to go somewhere specific without dealing with sequences. I'm not sure if they can navigate through many twists and turns to get to it though.

I would also like the info_monster_goal ents working if possible.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    You can use the Entity to Guard value to get them to go somewhere specific without dealing with sequences. I'm not sure if they can navigate through many twists and turns to get to it though.

I would also like the info_monster_goal ents working if possible.
    It's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    It's coming.
    Can you tell me how they are used , so once they are out , i dont have to update my map ?

Quote Originally Posted by Protector View Post
    The entvar "enemy" is set to the entity that killed a monster. You could use a trigger_copyvalue to copy the "enemy" value of the killed monster to the "target" value of a trigger_changevalue, which you trigger afterwards. That trigger_changevalue adds 5 to an unused int entvar of the player (afaik there's "spawnflags" and "team"). Then you can use trigger_copyvalue, trigger_condition and other entities to handle those stored values accordingly. That way you could use "frags" for score, "spawnflags" for gold and "team" for xp.
    (1)You guys are badass... that said, sorry I have one more complex question. Say you had MapA.bsp and MapB.bsp and you had to go complete a goal in mapB to get a reward in mapA. I understand how the globals worked in old hl, like turning the gas and power on for the blast pit map to fry the tentacle. But say you started earning "gold" in the method you outlined in MapA. Would it be possible to carry this "amount of gold" value if the players went to mapB, and say they earn more "gold" there, and then carry it back to mapA? (for instance mapA is a root town where armor/weapons can be bought and mapB is one of the adventure levels) If it would be possible to carry these values back and forth between maps could you help me understand how one might map that?

(2)once again, you guys are badasses (thats a good thing ) and thanks for the advice. You can begin to see what Doom Hunt will be like by my questions plus other complexities, eg. when a player buys an armor I plan to have a trigger_changemodel target the player for that armor, as well as subtracting from their "gold." But on that note would there be any way to have that trigger repeatedly so that if they go into options---> player and manually change their model it would just go back to the one I want? (so that people can't skip to the buffest armor models until they actually buy them)

(3)and one other -- is it possible for you guys to allow maximum armor values above 100 like in natural selection--- eg. the buffest warrior armor would give 500 armor? (not by gathering item_batteries but something that could set_max_value of armor for a player to 500 but if they gathered item_batteries (armor repair kits?) they could work it back up to 500 if it was damaged)

(4)last question I promise: I know that many crucial values for a map are in the map_skl.cfg----- If say I have a warrior with a sword that does 15 dmg per hit via the player_crowbar damage, if they recieved a bigger sword (crowbar) within a map could there be anyway to have it do 20 dmg per hit then? I am initially thinking no because that would require dynamic modification of the skill cfg in game. Actually sorry to bug you with that im sure its a no...
    Last edited by Raider666; 11-03-2010 at 11:11 AM.

You can ruin someone elses map by missusing the triggers that affect the stuff in other map ? That would be a badass day! Expect to see a pink unicorns running around in a silly underwear in YOUR map in no time! Just kidding

I guess my questions are too scary...

Programmer

I guess my questions are too scary...
    They are not too scary, I am in Bratislava on a seminar

1) Right now, env_global can only store a "troolean", that is: on, off or dead. Getting complex data from one map to another is not (yet) possible.

2) Just use a looping trigger, i.e. a multi_manager triggering the trigger_changemodel and a trigger_relay, which triggers that multi_manager again after 1 second.

3) You can fake that by putting a model of your armor inside a trigger_multiple and then set the model invisible and trigger_changevalue the players armorvalue to $value with usage ADD.

4) Nope, sorry.

Hope you are enjoying your trip!
    Then may I suggest something to your team. What could be most excellent for mappers for your mod would be this: three separate entities for each weapon, e.g. in my case, as seen in the svencoop.fgd : "weapon_crowbar_a, weapon_crowbar_b, weapon_crowbar_c"
    What this means for coding: a new .cpp with some copying and pasting/redirecting
    what this means for mapping: a new .fgd and a new skill.cfg template that has sk_player_weapon a,b , and c. This would allow the mapper to use a range of damage values for the same coding of a weapon thus making it "upgradable"

Important: The mapper would just have to make sure that it was not possible for the player to get crowbar_a and crowbar_b at the same time due to the fact that you would have to radically change the hud sprites to accommodate for the two additional weapons for each weapon. They would use the same slot in other words, but in essence have various customizable dmg values for usage in one map.

And I think I might be able to find a way to use a crap ton of env_globals to actually transmit complex data with certain reference points using the kill value on trigger_relays and other stuff. Like a gold marker every 50 gold (if you had 1249 when you changed maps, sorry you now have 1200) Max entities for a map is 4096 right? Theoretically this way I could store a fair amount of gold using a 50 marker system...
    Last edited by Raider666; 15-03-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Contributor

the hell is env_global anyway? sounds like something which activates all specific entites or creates a global crisis in the map if wanted

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdaemon View Post
    You can ruin someone elses map by missusing the triggers that affect the stuff in other map ? That would be a badass day! Expect to see a pink unicorns running around in a silly underwear in YOUR map in no time! Just kidding
    id replace all your grunts in gearsofwar to zombies

Programmer

And I think I might be able to find a way to use a crap ton of env_globals to actually transmit complex data with certain reference points using the kill value on trigger_relays and other stuff. Like a gold marker every 50 gold (if you had 1249 when you changed maps, sorry you now have 1200) Max entities for a map is 4096 right? Theoretically this way I could store a fair amount of gold using a 50 marker system...
    Actually you could create your own binary counting system. An integer with 16 bits goes from 0 to 65536, so you could use 16 env_globals to store any value from 0 to 65536, by defining each env_global as one bit of your integer.

Quote Originally Posted by Protector View Post
    Actually you could create your own binary counting system. An integer with 16 bits goes from 0 to 65536, so you could use 16 env_globals to store any value from 0 to 65536, by defining each env_global as one bit of your integer.
    ???

I am a modeler...

No idea how I would do this. If you could help me understand this then Doom Hunt will have an AWESOME gold system that should work globally between all 20 maps. See my idea is to have a start room with cabinets with global doors. Start room is identical in every map with a teleport out to the level. Any Items/armor bought or collected will open global cabinet doors in the room and from then on that weapon/armor/item will be available.

also, what did you think about tripling the weapon coding? too much work?
    Trying to work out a way to have the warrior class have some more flexibility, right now all I have is crowbar and pipewrench...

I was going to have the sk_player_crowbar damage gradually increase in each of the maps so warrior class will become more effective... but now the game is set up not exactly linear with optional maps and quests. Wouldnt want the damage to go back down! Also that would always force me to award a new melee weapon to the warrior at the end of a map so the damage could take effect next map. I am just trying to find a way around that so the warrior class will be as rich as the others... not bland :P
    Last edited by Raider666; 16-03-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast