Thread: CryoKeen's Helpful Mapping Tips for Begginers and Experts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: CryoKeen's Helpful Mapping Tips for Begginers and Experts

Been always using that shift-drag-copy style, it's absolutely the greatest style to make anything fast. There are probably only 3 or 4 brushes in any of my maps that I've "created" with the normal tool and the rest thousands have been copied from others.

Also, remember that you can select as many brushes as you want by holding ctrl and clicking them. If you select wrong, you can deselect them by holding ctrl again and clicking. Then you can put texturelock on and copy easily a whole hallway or any special brushes you want from it with copy-dragging. Also, tieing many brushes to one brushentity is easy by selecting while holding ctrl.

Flip horizontally and vertically can be useful too from the Tools -> Flip objects when copying many brushes and trying to make things symmetrical.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Because that's like changing the Name of an entity that is Targeted. You break the link. It's still possible to make it work.
    I now used another tool just called ResList and it didn't break the dropdown list. It does not bug around much either. It destroyed the bitmap data though. I then restored it with XNResourceEditor, because it is better with the bitmap stuff than ResEdit. Lol.

At any rate, this is very convenient:

*attachattach*
    Try it yourself, but on your own risk. Can never know what ominous tools from the web fuck up.
    If anything, backup your maps before blindly loading them up with this. Works for me fine.
    EDIT: LOLNO after all. Apparantly key bindings are fucked up now. E.g. CTRL + C zooms out instead of copying. What the fuck.
    Probably just a waste of time struggling with these resedit tools after all. Was a nice try though.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Silencer; 09-05-2010 at 05:25 PM.

I believe the keybindings are stored somewhere in a resource file...

Dotted Grid will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by ozku View Post
    If you got a large map, you might feel that grid lines get blended to brush lines in 2D views. Go to Tools -> Options -> 2D views and lower the value of "intensity" slider. This makes grid lines less bright making it easier to see brush lines among grid lines.

Tip:
    Hack wad path to show wad name in the small texture window.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap1.gif 
Views:	70 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	14143  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: zip 1.zip (890 Bytes, 38 views)

I would like to start a series of tutorials to teach people how to map for goldsource/svencoop! Here is my first installment, although I might rename this part2 and make part1 how to install hammer properly with extracting the wads from the gcf and such, but give it a look over if you want to map and don't know how, tell!

WARNING: I act silly and stuff in this video partially energy drink induced

eh guess that didn't go so well lol well teaching people mapping takes a lot of time and effort I help people where I can! bumping thread because mapping seems to be getting resurgence! welcome new and gentrified mappers!

Protip: pressing ~ ie Console or Tilda button and typing "retry" will make you reconnect to your server instantly! I believe this works in goldsource and source games! maybe we could have a "svencoop life hack thread" even for some such suggestions

Thanks for the tips! Please post more whenever you have the time. I've been experimenting on a map for the past month and I find it fun.

Some stuff cannot be learned easily (such as the vertex tool) when you're on your own.

I'd like you to know Mitko that my shift-copy paste method for making blocks can sometimes have negative results if you copy a very flat brush that's rotated or anything other than a 6 sided block. Unfortunately one a new mapper used the technique and his map was filled with invalid brushes so my bad! Otherwise compile often and it should not be a huge issue

Contributor

Great thread. One question I had is when rotating brushes and entities by circle handles, is there a way to change angle-specific increments? I noticed that even with snaps off rotating seems to jump around in increments, and when I rotated things back in Source hammer (I originally learned hammer in source years ago, and worked backwards back to GoldSrc) I had more fine control.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12