Thread: CryoKeen's Helpful Mapping Tips for Begginers and Experts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CryoKeen's Helpful Mapping Tips for Begginers and Experts

Hello. I am going to be making a thread, and, hopefully, update it every couple of days or when I get an idea. Some people might be mapping without knowing a lot of helpful things, which I hope to easily point out. You are also welcome to ask me any questions weather you are an expert or a begginer and I will try to help. I will not be able to do one on one teaching of mapping at this time, but I hope in the next few weeks to create some basic youtube tutorials to make anyone learning hopefully leap bounds ahead and faster then I learned to map. If any of you like the tips, please say so and you are also free to add your own if you wish. Try to keep them precise and to the point with images to help describe things.

Lesson 1: Group Vertex Manipulation

Step 1: Make sure this button is pressed in.

Lesson 2: Using Alt-Right Click to have seamless textures around corners

Step 1: So you want this texture on the right to be seamless across this wall because right clicking with your mouse the right texture and then the middle texture with left click doesn't align it right?

Step 2: Clicking World or Face can sometimes help, but just like right clicking it can sometimes still mess up, and if you don't know this tip can cause you to try to fix the texture manually with the up and down Shift arrows. This is tedious and sometimes unnecessary.

Step 3: After left clicking the right texture, hold down [Left Alt] on your keyboard and, right click the new face in the middle of this architecture.

Step 4: This also of course works with 90° and most all corners as well. Experiment around!

The only negative side of doing this is that sometimes the Shift value can be in the thousands and hit a max number, at that point manually editing the Shift values can not work properly until you reset it to a lower number.
    Last edited by CryoKeen; 01-05-2010 at 02:46 AM.

Re: CryoKeen's Helpful Mapping Tips for Begginers and Experts

ha now i might open hammer again! keep it up i like your format

Thanks for your encouragement sword! Do any of these teach or help anyone out at all? Should I do any more? 75 views and 1 reply, I won't bother making much more if they aren't helpful to anyone.

+1

Jolly good I say!

Make one on the waypoint tool.

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Thank you! I never figured out how to move multiple vertices that overlap. I'll need to use that a lot for what i'm working on.

This also fixed a really annoying problem i was having with vertex manipulation: whenever i made a box by accident it wouldn't disappear and i would have to reload the map.

edit: oh, pressing enter works too you say? I think this was discussed in some other thread because that seems kind of familiar now. I must have forgotten about it after taking a long break.
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 06-05-2010 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    +1

Jolly good I say!

Make one on the waypoint tool.
    That thing is full of fail. Never use it lol. Sadly this keeps me from making trains often in my maps cus yeah, I will have to make them manually fill in the path and corner info religiously or they will not work :/

Also remember if you cant select anything hit the enter key on vertex manipulation or if you loose the dotted outline when making a new solid and can't find it.

Make one about the Vis groups.

Only very lately I have begun to use them. It's almost impossible to map when a bigger map is almost finished and the grid is full of everything. Dunno why I didn't use it much before, only have to blame myself now. Guess it felt weird that some parts would disappear from my sight!

I don't think there were much talk about vis group usage on any beginners tutorials either so I never thought about using them until now.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by CryoKeen View Post
    Lesson 2: Using Alt-Right Click to have seamless textures around corners
    Quite frankly, I never knew this after all these years of mapping. I always bothered adjusting textures around round corners and pipes manually. That was especially obnoxious when making bended pipes. So this should help me a lot! Thanks. =)

Manager

Good thread! There are so many features that it's hard to learn them all by yourself.

Looking at this screenshot, I noticed you do not have Texture Lock (TL) enabled. If you enable that, the textures will be locked onto the brush, so you can move the brush around the map without having to realign the textures over and over. This saves a lot of time and work.

NOTE: If you plan to change the texture on the moved or copy-pasted brush, you have to realign the textures to the world again by tagging WORLD in the texture properties. If you don't it'll be aligned to the face of the brush, which is not always the most logical choice. Especially if you want copied brushes put next to eachother to be seamless.

I've got a tip, I might be the only one who didn't know about this for a long time though.

Problem: If you ever have a situation where two brushes or entities overlap, it's hard to try to angle the camera to select the one you want.

Solution: If you click and hold the mouse button in the 3d view then it will toggle between any ents or brushes that the cursor could possibly be touching

Sven Co-op animator, beta tester, halfway decent modeler WAR_Nuker's Avatar

you are a nice person

hmm, interesting.

Left shift + right click seems to do something too.

Contributor

or the shift+drag which is much easier copying, and shift+rotate which allows you to rotate in 45 degree angles. many mappers seem not to know about. thanks streamfox from these to know
    Last edited by RNG; 09-05-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    or the shift+drag which is much easier copying, and shift+rotate which allows you to rotate in 45 degree angles. many mappers seem not to know about
    Fucking amazing!

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by CryoKeen View Post
    Fucking amazing!
    Haha I have always been using that! xD (Called Clonedragging) We should teach each other more.

Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    or the shift+drag which is much easier copying, and shift+rotate which allows you to rotate in 45 degree angles. many mappers seem not to know about
    What do you mean by 'drag' and (especially) 'rotate'? :?

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    Haha I have always been using that! xD (Called Clonedragging) We should teach each other more.
    I always use Paste Special for that

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus View Post
    Paste special is buggy because pasting with texture lock disabled does silly things with the texture offsets and when pasting multiple objects, every object is moved independently instead of the complete selection as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus View Post
    Yea, same here! Why isn't this stuff in the hammer's help file?

I found something else that I didn't know about in there: Hold space to pan the the 2d views. Before I read this I was zooming in and out to change where i was looking.

Contributor

What do you mean by 'drag' and (especially) 'rotate'? :?
    uhh, hold on shift then move selected brush somewhere, much easier copy than the traditional ctrl+c ctrl+v assfest. well you know the traditional object rotating along with scaling and shit. again hold shift and you can rotate the object 45 degrees at once making it much hell of easier along with ctrl+m. now get it?

If you got a large map, you might feel that grid lines get blended to brush lines in 2D views. Go to Tools -> Options -> 2D views and lower the value of "intensity" slider. This makes grid lines less bright making it easier to see brush lines among grid lines.

If the entity window is too small in 3.4 and you don't want to use 3.5, use a resource editing program to enlarge the popup window's dimensions. :P

Contributor

If the entity window is too small in 3.4 and you don't want to use 3.5, use a resource editing program to enlarge the popup window's dimensions. :P
    That's quite a cool idea. Do you recommend any specific software? I just tried XNResourceEditor, but it is buggy and oddly corrupts my hammer.exe if I do just one trivial change. E.g. change "Yaw" to "Yay". If I do just that, the brush entity dropdown list will not work anymore - it will be empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    That's quite a cool idea. Do you recommend any specific software? I just tried XNResourceEditor, but it is buggy and oddly corrupts my hammer.exe if I do just one trivial change. E.g. change "Yaw" to "Yay". If I do just that, the brush entity dropdown list will not work anymore - it will be empty.
    Because that's like changing the Name of an entity that is Targeted. You break the link. It's still possible to make it work.

Fortunately, unlike Continuum (SubSpace), Hammer has no security or CRC, which means for those who know what they're doing they can technically continue the development of Hammer with a lot of ease.

Lesson 3: Use [Left Shift] + [Mouse1] to copy brushes and map much faster

Step 1: Create a brush with the brush selection tool by clicking and holding down [Mouse1] on the 2d grid, dragging it and letting go of [Mouse1] when the box is to your liking. To make it solid either right click 'Create Object' or by pressing one of the 2 [Enter] keys!

Step 2: Select the brush in the 2d window with your mouse, hold down [Left Shift] and [Mouse1]. Drag the brush and when it's been copied let go of [Mouse1] first, then after then you may let go of [Left Shift] if you don't want to manipulate the brush anymore at the time.

Step 3: Deselect or start manipulating your newly copied brush right away!

Bonus Tip: Apparently there are shortcuts for the tools I haven't used them myself but I imagine using them instead of clicking on the tool itself will also save time :V

Everyone who maps should be using shift copy, imho. It saves you the time of having to recreate a new brush for every new thing. I think the greatest advantage of this technique though is that you can create walls and ceilings for your levels more easily as the brush you've just copied retains some of the same dimensions as the floor/wall you've copied it from. And you just have to usually alter 1 or 2 other dimensions such as width and height to make it fit. This makes mapping a lot faster at least cutting down 10-25% of time it takes to create a new brush sometimes.
    Last edited by CryoKeen; 09-05-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast