Thread: [ARCHIVE] Custom ZHLT by vluzacn

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Manager

Re: custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn

In Source textures define their transparency using an alpha channel (TGA images). It means to make glass you only need a simple world brush with the glass texture, and it will become semi-transparent with a percentage of light passing through it determined by the alpha channel in the texture. It doesn't need to be an entity as the material definition attached to the texture defines how it breaks, which is handled by the game.

I think that is what Aurora is getting at, though with GoldSrc we'd either need to have a user definable list of transparent textures, or go by the texture name (all the 'solid' textures starting with { or something).
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

If a material has $translucent or $alphatest set to 1, the alpha channel is used for transparency. It will appear in the editor as well, like this:

You can see the alpha channel works on the grating and the glass.

The problem is that I would have to turn all brushes using transparent textures into prop_static models, and then list those models in lights.rad with the parameter -ForceTextureLight [props/model]. Compiling VRAD with -StaticPropPolys and -TextureShadows would then make those prop models cast transparent shadows. This is a lot of work if there's lots of transparent textures in the map, where you'd like to use cool lighting.

I don't understand why Valve didn't make $translucent or $alphatest textures do this automatically with brushes as well. I don't know who else to ask for it's implementation.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

I'm using vs2010 to compile the code because my vs6 has stopped working. Why is it making hlrad.exe much bigger and 10% slower than vs6, and even slower when SSE is enabled?

I got an idea/question. Is it possible to add the ability to assign different light map size (-chop/-texchop) individually for each brush based entity by adding a new zhlt flag?

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by vluzacn View Post
    I'm using vs2010 to compile the code because my vs6 has stopped working. Why is it making hlrad.exe much bigger and 10% slower than vs6, and even slower when SSE is enabled?
    Maybe enhanced safety features are enforced on several basic functions.
    Also check the properties of the project. There are options like "more code, but faster code", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Ninja View Post
    I got an idea/question. Is it possible to add the ability to assign different light map size (-chop/-texchop) individually for each brush based entity by adding a new zhlt flag?
    No. Lightmap scale is fixed for all faces (lightmap scale = texture scale * 16).
    Chop is the size of sample used by hlrad internally for gathering bounced light. And there are no need to adjust chop value for individual faces.

Hello vluzacn, I'm a big fan of yours, I love your compilers and they are very useful for me, but I have a problem for a long time and I can't solve it, see the pictures:

The weapon the player is still lit even with the light style off, there is some way to fix this?

Thanks!

PS: Sorry for my bad English, I am Brazilian and I am using Google Translator.

Quote Originally Posted by Truck View Post
    Hello vluzacn, I'm a big fan of yours, I love your compilers and they are very useful for me, but I have a problem for a long time and I can't solve it, see the pictures:

The weapon the player is still lit even with the light style off, there is some way to fix this?

Thanks!

PS: Sorry for my bad English, I am Brazilian and I am using Google Translator.
    This is because the engine reads in the light_environment's configuration when the map loads, and uses its angle and brightness to determine the brightness of mdl.
    You may disable engine's detection of light_environment entity by adding an info_sunlight entity (this entity is in fgd file 'zhlt.fgd', and note that the compiler makes it work by placing an fake light_environment entity into the map) and set its brightness to '0 0 0 0'.
    Last edited by vluzacn; 08-09-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Is it possible to add a Texture with its faces removed during compile (like NULL-Texture) which casts shadows? Maybe it also should not block movement.

Kind of SHADOW-Texture, that does not affect r_speeds :-D
    So you can add shadows by yourself. Useful if some shadows look ugly and you want them to be more realistic.
    or to make a static model look like it casts a shadow.

Hello vluzacn, I have a problem with the tools

this terrain

shlt 3.9

vluzacn 2.3

zhlt 3.4

I'm new sorry for my bad english

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by manionsen View Post
    Is it possible to add a Texture with its faces removed during compile (like NULL-Texture) which casts shadows? Maybe it also should not block movement.

Kind of SHADOW-Texture, that does not affect r_speeds :-D
    So you can add shadows by yourself. Useful if some shadows look ugly and you want them to be more realistic.
    or to make a static model look like it casts a shadow.
    If I remember correctly, you could try a func_illusionary brush with:
    Render: Texture
    FX Amount: 0
    ZHLT Lightflags: Opaque (blocks light)

Pretty sure actual brush area looks like a shadow area, but you can still use the player torch and walk through it etc, Not sure if you can then apply a NULL Texture to reduce r_speeds but you could try.

regards

I know about this solution but it does not work with NULL and affects r_speeds. Also you have a limit for brush-based entities.

Tester

Aah I think I understand now you want a map wide solution similar to:
    http://forums.svencoop.com/showthread.php?t=39678

No i mean something like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHADOW.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	14710

Because the model does not cast any shadows it is covered with a simplified brush with SHADOW-Texture which casts a shadow instead.^^
    Not a very good pic but i think it describes what i mean :-P

I'll read the original thread in the thewall.de-forum, there are some more descriptions. But Ambient Occlusion would be another thing vluzacn could add, but he already made some shadow improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by manionsen View Post
    I know about this solution but it does not work with NULL and affects r_speeds. Also you have a limit for brush-based entities.
    For the first problem, you can make it a func_wall_toggle with flag 'start off'.
    For the secont problem, you can tie all the brushes that are used to create shadows into the same entity.
    Also as an advice, if the center of the mdl is located right above the shadow area, then the whole mdl will look dark (unless it is directly under the sun).

Vluzacn, could you please change the model limit to 512 for the next version?

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    Vluzacn, could you please change the model limit to 512 for the next version?
    This might be more to do with "engine and net code issues" than the compiler.

As per AdamR:
    You are still limited to 400 brush based models. Even though this can be 512 as
    this is what the GoldSrc engine can load, this 512 item pool is shared between:

* Brush based entities (as these are actually models)
    * Models (mdl files)
    * Sprites (spr files)

If you consider all the content loaded by various games (models and sprites for
    weapons, NPC's, props, effects, and such) this limit is sapped up pretty fast.
    Also the GoldSrc net code can barely handle 400 brush entities as it is. This is
    why you should stick to 400 brush based models, or ideally as few as possible.
    But yes, I also ran into the same limit before map splitting and would love to see the model limit increased.

regards
    Wolf-3d

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

A little warning from my side:
    previously i had rather serious issues with more than 400 brush models in the portal map.
    I had 429 brush models and the map didnt run anymore on the beta server with plugins: you could start the map, but noone was able to join. The game simply freezed at "parsing game info".
    there should be a warning that the map might not work for sure on any server if the limit is incrased and hit by the mapper.
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

Manager

^ that. It was capped at 400 for many reasons. If your map needs more than 400 brush entities you need to look at the efficiency of your entity set-up, or split your map into two maps.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Tester

Post 163 - This thread

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    Internal error 1 and 3 in PairEdges:

Quote Originally Posted by vluzacn View Post
    Post log with hlrad parameter '-dev 2'.
    Hi All,

Can't find a post/response/solution to the above for some reason, do you have to recreate the offending object or can the error be Ignored.

I rather stupidly did a "vertex manipulation" of "an arch" I just made, then realised I forgot to back-up my map, CTL-Z'ed back but either Undo is "ify" or "snap to grid" over-rides original locations, anyway compile finishes and Map starts. But would like some info. on the seriousness of the error just in case I am storing up some future problems.
    Getting about 10x
    Warning: internal error 1 in PairEdges
    Warning: internal error 3 in PairEdges

PS: If I try and Multi-quote something, the screen seems to pause/hang, (Firefox with XP).

regards
    Wolf-3D

Tester

Update:

If you know the offending object, this may work:

I set the grid to 1 unit, managed to copy the arch to a test map and (on the 2nd paste attempt) got a clean compile. Deleted & Pasted back to original map. PairEdge Errors have gone.

regards
    Wolf-3D

Manager

Feature (and possible bug fix) request:

512 textures pre-HLBSP
    503 textures post-HLBSP

Looks like there are 9 textures being stripped. Any chance textures due to be stripped out could NOT be included in the 512 limit? That means I would be able to use 9 more textures before hitting MAX_MAP_TEXTURES.

Also a bug:

When there is a warning for too many light styles on a face the number of warnings doubles each time (1, 2, 4, 8...) instead of just counting the number of warnings.
    Last edited by AdamR; 01-10-2011 at 10:55 AM.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

What do you think about a texture to block light, just like the one in source?
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

Hello again!
    Thanks for responding vluzacn, helped me a lot!
    But I have other problem, how do I get the light should not be influenced by the texture color? You said this was the last update:

Now light bouncing and texture light are influenced by texture color.
    See this image:

The ambience is very bluish and I wasn't wanting this :S

Thanks!

Another question vluzacn, you're still working on your compilers or that is a final version?

Tester

Internal Error in PairEdges.

Anyone have some insight as to how/why these are created AND if they can be fixed without "delete and recreate" or "cut and paste several times into test map".
    I am building a mine/cave like area and getting quite a few.

Some PairEdge errors cause problems (act like func_illusionary, see/walk thro from specific angles) and some brushes "in PairEdge error" appear to be unaffected. All of the brushes in question are "Solid World Brushes"

Compile log with -dev 2 (EDIT: one such error) shows:
    AddFaceForVertexNormal - bad face:
    edgeabs=36135 edgeend=1
    e=36132 v0=20962(-2359.269287,684.730652,-464.213654) v1=20963(-2388.000000,684.837036,-487.000000) share0=15035 share1=15067
    e=36133 v0=20963(-2388.000000,684.837036,-487.000000) v1=20964(-2388.281982,684.838074,-486.863922) share0=15035 share1=15037
    e=36134 v0=20964(-2388.281982,684.838074,-486.863922) v1=20962(-2359.269287,684.730652,-464.213654) share0=15035 share1=15068
    e=36135 v0=20962(-2359.269287,684.730652,-464.213654) v1=20965(-2359.000000,684.729614,-464.000000) share0=15035 share1=15035
    e=-36135 v0=20962(-2359.269287,684.730652,-464.213654) v1=20965(-2359.000000,684.729614,-464.000000) share0=15035 share1=15035

Have 6 errors at present - Only 2 are showing problems. One brush (Solid with 10 faces aligned to Face where needed) is see-thro at floor level. Near a different "brush in pairedge error" (Solid with 3 faces all aligned "to Face", i.e. rotated Wedge shape) the two adjoinng brushes are see-thro & non-solid in one direction, the error brush itself appears okay.

regards
    Wolf-3d
    Last edited by wolf-3d; 13-10-2011 at 01:03 PM.