Thread: [ARCHIVE] Custom ZHLT by vluzacn

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Re: custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn

Quote Originally Posted by Skals View Post
    Hi there guys! I am having a problem with the tools when compiling for a cs1.6 map;

I have func_trains in my map that move around quite rapidly, and players keep getting stuck in them!

Now I assume the problem is the clip type I'm using, I'm using 'Simple' at the moment.
    The question is, What's the best clip type to use? I am not worried about clip nodes at all, I want the one that will give me the least amount of bugs and the least amount of players getting stuck.

I know that you guys made some changes to these, so I'm unsure which clip type is best to use.
    Cheers in advance!
    Theoretically, 'simple' would be the best, since it completely follows the engine's rule that players are cuboids, and it generates the smallest clipnode, which means less corners and less bugs.
    But as for the func_train issue, there isn't very much difference among the cliptypes. Firstly, cliptype won't affect the direction of each face. Secondly, even if a func_train is built with brushes as simple as basic blocks (the 6-face block, and they mustn't be rotated), it can still stick players. All cliptypes generate exactly the same clipnode for this kind of brushes.

However, if you think it is the func_train being too complex that causes the bug, you can try to use CLIP brushes.

Well, the wadconfig file will switch back to the old format. Does anyone oppose this?

Would it be possible to have both? The problem I had with your changes in v.25 was that you removed the previous way of handling wad groups, making it difficult to go back and forth between versions. A period where both methods are available would be good - giving mappers some time to learn and something familiar to fall back on. And then if the newer way of doing it actually is better, move over to only that.

hello, i've read thru the pages of this thread
    vluzacn: THANK you!

i have some things i wanna say about VHLT
    RenderMode "texture" .. now with this applied to func_wall or func_illusionary - there is no shadows, the entity becomes fully lit, {blue becomes transparent and the edges are soft (unlike with RenderMode "solid" )
    long ago, "texture" worked differently - it was the same thing as "solid" it recieved shadows, but the edges were soft (i think this was in WorldCraft's compile tools, not in ZHLT)

vluzacn: can you bring back the shadow on RenderMode "texture" ?
    i used it to make glass (semi-transparent) window frames ({blue) and fences

and another thing.. is it possible to make an entity such as func_illusionary to have two sides?
    think of a box, with some {texture on it, normally if you look at it - the back sides are not there, since the box only has 6 sides on it's out side.. you'd have to put additionally 6 boxes around this box, to get the effect of double-sided faces

having such things in VHLT would make it the absolute BOMB for HL1

i'm curious, how does your RGB bounce work, how do you calculate the bounced color based on the color of the texture? i suppose you use blending type "multiply"
    if the light is white, it hits a red texture - the bounced light is white*red=red
    if this red light now hits a green wall - the bounced light would be red*green=black - oops it's gone now

i think this is how it works in the real world too

Quote Originally Posted by antto View Post
    hello, i've read thru the pages of this thread
    vluzacn: THANK you!

i have some things i wanna say about VHLT
    RenderMode "texture" .. now with this applied to func_wall or func_illusionary - there is no shadows, the entity becomes fully lit, {blue becomes transparent and the edges are soft (unlike with RenderMode "solid" )
    long ago, "texture" worked differently - it was the same thing as "solid" it recieved shadows, but the edges were soft (i think this was in WorldCraft's compile tools, not in ZHLT)

vluzacn: can you bring back the shadow on RenderMode "texture" ?
    i used it to make glass (semi-transparent) window frames ({blue) and fences
    I tested the original compile tools, as well as 'software' graphic mode, and I couldn't get the shadow either.

and another thing.. is it possible to make an entity such as func_illusionary to have two sides?
    think of a box, with some {texture on it, normally if you look at it - the back sides are not there, since the box only has 6 sides on it's out side.. you'd have to put additionally 6 boxes around this box, to get the effect of double-sided faces

having such things in VHLT would make it the absolute BOMB for HL1
    Yes. There are two ways:
    1. Using texture 'SKIP' in any face of a brush will turn the brush into mere faces. This gives you the freedom to manually add any a face to the entity.
    2. Noting that water brushes have two sides, you can set the content of the box to water by texturing any of its faces with texture 'ContentWater'.

i'm curious, how does your RGB bounce work, how do you calculate the bounced color based on the color of the texture? i suppose you use blending type "multiply"
    if the light is white, it hits a red texture - the bounced light is white*red=red
    if this red light now hits a green wall - the bounced light would be red*green=black - oops it's gone now

i think this is how it works in the real world too
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by vluzacn View Post
    I tested the original compile tools, as well as 'software' graphic mode, and I couldn't get the shadow either.
    i suspect RenderMode "Texture" had shadow probably in some very old version of qrad, and then they removed it

so, as you are familiar with the qrad code - have you seen where in the code does it happen - the lack of shadow on "texture" entities? i'm curious why is it so..

Manager

^ I can't say I've ever seen shadows from a brush using 'texture' render mode at all, and I used QTools for TFC mapping 9 years ago.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

it was 1999 when i started mapping for HL
    i think WorldCraft 2.0 or something, i really don't remember the version

Tester

it was 1999 when i started mapping for HL
    i think WorldCraft 2.0 or something, i really don't remember the version
    Don't know if the editor exe's would be of any use but I have 3 CD based copies of HL, one of them should be from the original year that Half Life was released. If need be I can try and locate them and check what versions of WorldCraft are included.
    (I am sure other people here also have original CD's and could do the same if I can't find them.)

EDIT: I mean the versions of Qrad that came with WorldCraft.
    Last edited by wolf-3d; 27-04-2012 at 03:00 AM.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Contributor

when ever there will be texture rendermode that DOESNT GLOW

unless thats a goldsrc hardcoding

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    unless thats a goldsrc hardcoding
    tick
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Update:

version 26

Add fast mode for hlrad.
    Its command line option is '-fast'.

Add the spread angle for light_environment.
    It generates soft shadows for the sun.
    To use this feature, add a key named '_spread' with the spread angle as its value to the light_environment.
    Like light_spot, this angle defines the radius of the sun, not the diameter.
    In a sunny day, the diameter of the sun itself is one degree, so the spread angle is only 0.5, which means that we don't need to use this feature.
    In a cloudy day, the spread angle can be larger. This picture shows what it looks like when the spread angle is 0, 0.5, 2, 5, 10, and 25.
    The compile time will increase rapidly if the angle goes over 15 degrees.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spread angles.jpg 
Views:	1206 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	14951

Revert the support for 'wad.cfg'
    Now the '-wadconfig' loads a group inside 'wad.cfg' while '-wadcfgfile' loads a seperated file. They can not be used at the same time.

Include a project file for Visual Studio 2005
    I'm not sure whether it works, so if you have tried, please tell me.

Disable the export and import of texture data of ripent by default.
    Because if the texture data of a map has changed, you will not be admitted when joining a server running with the original map.
    And ripent may cause existing wad files to be overwritten when exporting the wad file.
    To enable it, use the '-texture' parameter together with '-export' or '-import'.

Add a new texture 'black_HIDDEN', which is invisible but can be used to correct the lighting of models whose center are above this texture.
    If you create a brush under the center of a model with this texture, and add some texture light for 'black_HIDDEN', then the model will look bright.
    It is recommended that this brush is converted to func_detail, and all faces of this brush except the top surface are textured with SKIP, so that the brush will be non-solid.

Warning: don't use v26 to compile your map, because it contains a severe bug.
    Please download v27 from http://forums.svencoop.com/showthrea...525#post483525 Don't download this: zhlt vluzacn26.zip
    Last edited by vluzacn; 04-06-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Manager

Excellent work.

I've always wondered why there wasn't a -fast parameter for RAD.

nice work man, i'll try compiling this with VC 2008 and report

Nice work.
    So the increased spread angle will also reduce the stair effect on shadows? Have to do a test with them

I've just re-uploaded the attachment. The one I uploaded yesterday contains the wrong version of the tools.

Tester

Great Work ran a "fast" compile (vis -fast & rad -fast), and in my case at least it was SUPER fast. ("vis - fast only" = 24 min. vs "vis -fas & rad -fast" = 55 sec.)

Regards
    Wolf-3D

Contributor

The lighting looks accordingly bad then, but it's awesome for the frequent cycle of testing, making changes and recompiling without having to abandon it altogether. Really good job!

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-3d View Post
    Great Work ran a "fast" compile (vis -fast & rad -fast), and in my case at least it was SUPER fast. ("vis - fast only" = 24 min. vs "vis -fas & rad -fast" = 55 sec.)

24 minutes for a full compile? You either have a really old compile machine or a really large and unoptimized map.

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    24 minutes for a full compile? You either have a really old compile machine or a really large and unoptimized map.
    Probably both: PC Intel 2 Core 1.86Mhz E6300, 1Gb RAM, don't know how map stats compare to average map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	14956  
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Depends on used rad parameters as well.

I had 40-50 minutes compile time with my old settings on -extra.
    And now with changed settings about 10 minutes.

Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar

Hello @vluzacn,
    Thanks for download

I want know about solidbsp or csg. i want fix for clean level design like in-shpere or in-tows should fresh and don't need hole like problem for i have been compiled this. But i don't like because same maps with bad hole or issus... We need to trying with fixed view of bsp and csg

I want code with bsp-hack and csg-hack for vlhlt :

PS: Why do you not replace "hlcsg", "hlbsp", "hlvis" and "hlrad" into "vlcsg", "vlbsp", "vlvis" and "vlrad".
    I know because vluzacn's Half-Life Tool = vlhlt.
    Please don't discure me! vcsg, vbsp, vvis and vrad are copyright by Source-Engine. We need call name "vl" = vlHLT. It is very better.

Thanks..
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMedia View Post
    Hello @vluzacn,
    Thanks for download

I want know about solidbsp or csg. i want fix for clean level design like in-shpere or in-tows should fresh and don't need hole like problem for i have been compiled this. But i don't like because same maps with bad hole or issus... We need to trying with fixed view of bsp and csg

I want code with bsp-hack and csg-hack for vlhlt :
    If you can provide a map file with the in-sphere issue, I will try to find a solution.

Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vluzacn View Post
    If you can provide a map file with the in-sphere issue, I will try to find a solution.
    WoW you try hack xD

Look out. I have been created this example in-sphere but i saw same texture on faces of in-sphere or in-tows. I hope you because you can build nice hack for bsp / csg for next version I will give you big thanks and am very kindly

// Edit. Sorry i have been forgotten Picture:
    i have been created this

And i have been tested .. same still problem :/

And i find because it's not best compiler I know because Quake Compiler was stabiliter than Vl-HLT and ZHLT :/

Or i have been tried becasue csg can work same.

And in-game looks without hole and csg-movement :/

There are 2 different type of in-sphere

Thanks
    Last edited by SourceSkyBoxer; 05-05-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Edit for fogotten Picture. Sorry :(
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMedia View Post
    There are 2 different type of in-sphere
    I really don't get what you're complaining about, unless it's how Hammer maps textures to parabolic objects. Depending on what face of a brush you use, constitutes how hammer will map the texture in world orientation mode. If you want to correctly map each face to a texture, you're going to have to use face orientation on each textured face.