Thread: [ARCHIVE] Custom ZHLT by vluzacn

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast

Re: custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn

e.g. A 256 x 256 wall at 90 deg to world, would ideally be cut to (240 x 240) + (16 x 240) + (16 x 16) resulting in the least amount of surface extent complexity.
    I have no idea what you just said.

I do not wish to decrease the value as it not only decreases performance but it also makes it more likely to hit that alloc block limit. Increasing the value dose the opposite but its unreliable as map becomes more complex. I've rarely got a high value to work :/. Question is why dose a higher value cause the issue in the 1st place? There has to be a way to make subdivide dynamic by only subdividing a face by what it can actually be divided into and check if its calculated surface extent value is bad and correct it before applying it. If custom -subdivide caused a surface extent to be bad, redo subdivide on that face by default 240. The way the bsp compiler is, it calculates and applies the surface extents and if surface extent was bad, its left as is and moves on to dividing the next face regardless.
    Last edited by Urban_Ninja; 14-10-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Ninja View Post
    I have no idea what you just said.

I do not wish to decrease the value as it not only decreases performance but it also makes it more likely to hit that alloc block limit. Increasing the value dose the opposite but its unreliable as map becomes more complex. I've rarely got a high value to work :/. Question is why dose a higher value cause the issue in the 1st place? There has to be a way to make subdivide dynamic by only subdividing a face by what it can actually be divided into and check if its calculated surface extent value is bad and correct it before applying it. If custom -subdivide caused a surface extent to be bad, redo subdivide on that face by default 240. The way the bsp compiler is, it calculates and applies the surface extents and if surface extent was bad, its left as is and moves on to dividing the next face regardless.
    The essense of "bad surface extent" is the face being too large. So it is a must that all faces are subdivided.

Tester

The way I understand it, you cannot use "-subdivide" to increase the subdivide without modifying the HL engine to support it, hence I assumed you wanted to reduce default subdivision. (Which will add complexity and put added stress on rendering.)
    see something like: http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~suri/psdir/bsp.pdf
    I am pretty sure I got the 240 number from browsing vluzacn bsp_code a while back when I was trying to work out why solid shapes shapes with concave surfaces are not allowed.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

I was never aware there was a surface size limit with the engine. No surprise tho. One curious question I've had is why do developers assign limits to things in their game engines?

About that link. No way im going to understand that. All I see is crazy looking math.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Ninja View Post
    One curious question I've had is why do developers assign limits to things in their game engines?
    Because computers of every era have limits to what they can do.

Back when Half-Life was released, most people were still using some of the last 486s (66-133 MHz) or very early 586/686 class CPUs due to the extreme expense of the whizbang of the era, the Pentium MMX 200.

GPUs of the era were backwards and nearly all of them couldn't do any sort of 3D acceleration (things like triangle setup and texturing were done completely on the CPU.)

You then have the massive overhead of the OS and limited software capabilities.

You should try building an antique machine with parts from that era and run the original WON copy of Half-Life, it's a slideshow.

Manager

So if someone makes a map that no one can run because their computers can't run it in the first place, why do we need limits to prevent them from trying?

VHLT bump mapping on Xash mod

vluzacn
    Add please ambients for bump mapping, to fix black pixels on bump.
    See to example paranoia code:
    Code:
    void DrawBumpedPoly (msurface_t *s)
    {
        texture_t    *t = s->texinfo->texture;
        wpolybumped++;

ExtTextureData *pExtData = GetExtTexData (t);
        Bind2DTexture( GL_TEXTURE0_ARB, s->lightmaptexturenum + g_lightmap_lightvecs);
        Bind2DTexture( GL_TEXTURE1_ARB, pExtData->gl_normalmap_id);

if (gl.MAX_TU_supported >= 4)
        {
            SetTexEnvs(ENVSTATE_REPLACE, ENVSTATE_DOT, ENVSTATE_MUL, ENVSTATE_ADD);
            SetTexPointer( 2, TC_LIGHTMAP );
            SetTextureMatrix( 2, 0, 0 );
            Bind2DTexture( GL_TEXTURE2_ARB, s->lightmaptexturenum + g_lightmap_addlight);
            Bind2DTexture( GL_TEXTURE3_ARB, s->lightmaptexturenum + g_lightmap_baselight);
            AddPolyToTextureChain(s);
        }

Brick texture everywhere.

What does the red text mean? Add? Remove?

Quote Originally Posted by FiEctro View Post
    vluzacn
    Add please ambients for bump mapping, to fix black pixels on bump.
    See to example paranoia code:
    I haven't noticed any black pixels from the picture. If you meant the darker side of each brick is too dark, then you should fix it in the engine.

>> If you meant the darker side of each brick is too dark, then you should fix it in the engine.

Yes. There has to be loaded additional lightmap information about lighting of these places. I've select it in red. VHLT compile this information?

>> Brick texture everywhere.

This test map.
    Last edited by FiEctro; 04-11-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Contributor

the fuck theres now bumpmapping support? been missing alot of updates on this

Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    the fuck theres now bumpmapping support? been missing alot of updates on this
    Nope that is really Like Cry of Fear and Paranoia. Taht is support for bumpmapping such "pumprad.exe"

Thanks
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

SourceSkyBoxer & RNG
    This not paranoia bump.

Contributor

yea but would this ever be possible to get work in sven, just through the compiler

RNG
    Xash Engine & Xash mod is open source project. Now implementation bump maps in wip stage. Special thx vluzacn for implementation deluxemapping in VHLT.
    You SC coder?

@FiEctro
    Ah okay i know Xash i have tested Xash3D Correct said that you are right. I have contact with dear russians
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by FiEctro View Post
    Yes. There has to be loaded additional lightmap information about lighting of these places. I've select it in red. VHLT compile this information?
    VHLT compilers averaged light direction. The problem is how the engine use this information.

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    yea but would this ever be possible to get work in sven, just through the compiler
    No, someone needs to add the code for rendering bumpmaps in SC. This would be a nice feature for a future version.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    No, someone needs to add the code for rendering bumpmaps in SC. This would be a nice feature for a future version.
    Yeah You are right, and need auroras / sprites effects ( Spirit of Half-Life ).

Why not

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    oh yea thought of so, need to start bugging people about this

I have a problem with shadows, when put on map many lights i have this problem on map :

Image 1 :

Image 2 :

Contributor

thats because there is too many different lights on same place. keep rather red or green light, not both because RAD gets confused cramming both the lights on faces then that happens.

note that your mapping on 14 year old game engine that is based on quake

Yes. The limit for different light styles on the same face is 4. Try to merge the styles and targetnames of light entities.

Ok guys thanks for help ! May I nevertheless try to delete some lights... tnx !

If this has already been addressed, I apologize, but is it at all possible to somehow include an entity similar to (or, heck, even exactly like) env_soundscape? I've always thought how much better of an atmosphere you could make in maps with an entity like soundscape. Is such a thing even possible given the limitations of the engine and what-not?