Thread: [ARCHIVE] Custom ZHLT by vluzacn

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Re: custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn

No, someone needs to add the code for rendering bumpmaps in SC. This would be a nice feature for a future version.
    Modifying the engine's graphics code screams VAC bans. It has happened to some people who installed a half-life mod that has improved graphics like bloom, reflective water and bump mapping. Considering sven co-op is multiplayer, implementing such a thing would be disastrous for players. Even though something like this isnt a cheat, VAC is supper sensitive to any engine modifications for multiplayer games.

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Ninja View Post
    Modifying the engine's graphics code screams VAC bans. It has happened to some people who installed a half-life mod that has improved graphics like bloom, reflective water and bump mapping. Considering sven co-op is multiplayer, implementing such a thing would be disastrous for players. Even though something like this isnt a cheat, VAC is supper sensitive to any engine modifications for multiplayer games.
    Yes, this is true. A buddy of mine had this happen to him. I doubt that the team would implement something like this without addressing VAC.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Ultimate Monster Mapper amckern's Avatar  
    Programmer

I have never used detail textures, but would this not do what your after?
    Last edited by amckern; 09-11-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    SC Kicks ass!

My Maps - SC_28, SC_AVP, SC_AVP10, SC_Duno, SC_Max, Opposing Forts, SC_Massive, SC_Oni
    My Web Sites - AMMAHLS

Yeah that was SOHL that modified the renderer. The reason it causes VAC bans is because it modifies cg.dll, cgGL.dll, hw.dll and sw.dll. These four libraries are shared amongst all HL engine mods.

You can install SOHL without the extra modified dlls though and it will work fine, albeit without the extra rendering features. If you really want the features, you can install the old WON copy of Half-Life and use the modified libraries. The only issue here is that the WON version of HL doesn't work properly beyond Windows XP, so you'd have to run it in a VM with 3D acceleration (like Virtual Box.)

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Yeah that was SOHL that modified the renderer. The reason it causes VAC bans is because it modifies cg.dll, cgGL.dll, hw.dll and sw.dll. These four libraries are shared amongst all HL engine mods.

You can install SOHL without the extra modified dlls though and it will work fine, albeit without the extra rendering features. If you really want the features, you can install the old WON copy of Half-Life and use the modified libraries. The only issue here is that the WON version of HL doesn't work properly beyond Windows XP, so you'd have to run it in a VM with 3D acceleration (like Virtual Box.)
    I use winXP so OS is no issue. I don't even have a WON copy. No one sells those anymore. Only way anyone can get a WON copy these days is if they get one pirated off the web.

Is it even possible modify the renderer without it causing VAC bans? Someone formerly on my friends list claimed to of modified hw.dll a long time ago that managed to slip threw holes in VAC undetected. I wish valve had a system where you could submit your modified libraries and get it excluded from VAC.

Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar

Yeah you say - i knew about VirtualBox or VMWare .

If you have still problem with Won version of Game Engine? Than you should like to use with Xash 3D ( Customized Engine of Half-Life by russian folks ). Check out Xash 3D on Moddb

And we need Vhlt Compiler and patched Valve Hammer Editor ( just it is better than Instant Lammer Editor )

I would like to say about happy mapping If you won't use on VirtualBox or VMware

You can use copy local on drive
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

Artist

Hey I just wanted to say thanks again for these compilers. I just compiled a map with a giant outside area filling allmost the entire space in Hammer. Normaly this is a pain in the ass but these compilers just did the work and fast!

I use winXP so OS is no issue. I don't even have a WON copy. No one sells those anymore. Only way anyone can get a WON copy these days is if they get one pirated off the web.
    Surprisingly retailers still occasionally sell the HL Platinum Edition boxed set, and you can usually find it at second hand shops. though I wouldn't buy those to use on Steam since 99.9% chance the keys are already in use.

Is it even possible modify the renderer without it causing VAC bans? Someone formerly on my friends list claimed to of modified hw.dll a long time ago that managed to slip threw holes in VAC undetected. I wish valve had a system where you could submit your modified libraries and get it excluded from VAC.
    VAC relies on signature detection to detect cheats and hacks. If you modify or hook the engine in a way that VAC wasn't specifically told to look for, then you won't be detected. This is why private hacks on both HL and Source never get detected, because Valve needs the cheat executable to add signature detection to detect it.

Quote Originally Posted by SourceSkyBoxer View Post
    Yeah you say - i knew about VirtualBox or VMWare .

If you have still problem with Won version of Game Engine? Than you should like to use with Xash 3D ( Customized Engine of Half-Life by russian folks ). Check out Xash 3D on Moddb
    I think the only way I'd be interested in Xash is if it ran Natural-Selection 3.2, supported Metamod and AMXX without issue, and added engine features of SOHL (parenting being a big one.) I really doubt it does these things, hence why I'm not going to bother with it.

Hi folks..

@vluzacn: I was wondering did you ever release a detailed list somewhere explaining all the new additions you implemented and what they actually do? I just installed your compilers again for the first time in like 1 or 2 years. This time however willing to go trough with it and leaving shlt3.9 behind for good.

I don't need to say that it is little overwhelming with all that new stuff I'm also not making much out of your code and while it is little documented it's rather confusing going over almost 100 files don't you think?

At the moment there is only one question on my mind. How does -wadinclude work with your compilers. I tried it but it didn't seem to work. -wadinclude Firestorm - Wadinclude opfor.wad etc..
    I did read people people wont have to edit the settings.txt anymore so I'm unsure what to do if -wadinclude also wont work.

My wads for Hammer are stored in a separate folder as well as copies inside my mod folder. Wads I wanna get rid off for my release.

Then one recommendation and request. Perhaps also post about your great work on moddb.com. I'm sure you would reach dozens of new people when releasing the tools there along with some tutorials what your new entities does. Should be beneficial for your work.

Keep working on it you're doing a fine job mate.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for Svencoop 4.0 It is Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by 23-Down View Post
    Hi folks..

@vluzacn: I was wondering did you ever release a detailed list somewhere explaining all the new additions you implemented and what they actually do? I just installed your compilers again for the first time in like 1 or 2 years. This time however willing to go trough with it and leaving shlt3.9 behind for good.

I don't need to say that it is little overwhelming with all that new stuff I'm also not making much out of your code and while it is little documented it's rather confusing going over almost 100 files don't you think?
    No, there isn't an entire list of all the new techniques that mappers can use with the new compiler. The explanations can be found in the information of each update. I should post some examples of using the new additions, but I'm not sure where to post them.

At the moment there is only one question on my mind. How does -wadinclude work with your compilers. I tried it but it didn't seem to work. -wadinclude Firestorm - Wadinclude opfor.wad etc..
    I did read people people wont have to edit the settings.txt anymore so I'm unsure what to do if -wadinclude also wont work.
    All the parameters in ZHLT remain the same, except '-wadcfgfile'. Some parameters are removed, and you get errors when you try to use them.
    As for '-wadinclude', look into the compile log.

Then one recommendation and request. Perhaps also post about your great work on moddb.com. I'm sure you would reach dozens of new people when releasing the tools there along with some tutorials what your new entities does. Should be beneficial for your work.

Keep working on it you're doing a fine job mate.
    Thank you for the advice. I'm not very familiar with moddb, so could anyone tell me how to start with it?

Quote Originally Posted by vluzacn View Post
    All the parameters in ZHLT remain the same, except '-wadcfgfile'. Some parameters are removed, and you get errors when you try to use them.
    As for '-wadinclude', look into the compile log.
    Hm that's odd. It included only half of the wads I selected and there were textures used of the specific wads that were not included.

I entered my -wadinclude wadname.wad in the compile window that pops up after pressing F9. Shall I better compile with a batch. file?

No, there isn't an entire list of all the new techniques that mappers can use with the new compiler. The explanations can be found in the information of each update. I should post some examples of using the new additions, but I'm not sure where to post them.
    Yes please do so. That would be very appreciated use moddb.com and twhl.info to publish your tutorials for ever. The tutorials could be given in either map format or text format. Both things are possible on both sites.

Thank you for the advice. I'm not very familiar with moddb, so could anyone tell me how to start with it?
    Oh don't worry it's very simple a child could do it. Basically you just need to create an account. Once logged in you click on the mod tab. On the right side you will see general mod statistics.

Click on add a mod. From there you enter the mod specifics select the engine in our case it's for Half-Life etc. Then it takes some days till it gets approved once done you can upload pictures add tutorials add maps etc. as well as releasing the tools there.

It's very good over there as you get a constant & fast file hoster. Never losing your files again as long as moddb exists. Another great thing is that you can write news and release updates only selected people of your friendslist over there or with the specific link given can access. Good for internal work tests. And public news too. ^^

EDIT: I've got a question how exactly does the light_shadow entity works?

Situation: I've a roof on my map and there are some windows where a light environment shines in. Unfortunately the compiler does not create any shadows through the solid blocks. So I thought I gonna try out that new entity of yours. But not sure hot it works.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/7964/image1lg.jpg

See here. I've created a test map with some random solid blocks tied em into an entity func_wall and everything else is unchanged the name is x1.

Then I created 1 shadow on top & bottom of that func_wall name x2 & x3 target x1. But nothing happens there are no shadows. I also added an additional light to test out if it only works with regular light entities still no effect. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by 23-Down; 26-11-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for Svencoop 4.0 It is Brilliant!

Tester

Hm that's odd. It included only half of the wads I selected and there were textures used of the specific wads that were not included.

I entered my -wadinclude wadname.wad in the compile window that pops up after pressing F9. Shall I better compile with a batch. file?
    Sounds like some sort of Path problem.
    Was it just the "4 Standard HL.wads" that got included ? (Try copying all your wad files to the Directory where you keep "hlcsg.exe" or adding "more wad Paths" in settings.txt.)

PS: Compiling from a batch file is generally faster because Hammer uses a lot of memory, so often better to exit hammer and let VL's compile tools run in (or via) batch mode.
    Last edited by wolf-3d; 26-11-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

It only include the textures that must be included for the map to run without these wads. Textures that are also present in other wad files might not get included.

EDIT: I've got a question how exactly does the light_shadow entity works?

Situation: I've a roof on my map and there are some windows where a light environment shines in. Unfortunately the compiler does not create any shadows through the solid blocks. So I thought I gonna try out that new entity of yours. But not sure hot it works.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/7964/image1lg.jpg

See here. I've created a test map with some random solid blocks tied em into an entity func_wall and everything else is unchanged the name is x1.

Then I created 1 shadow on top & bottom of that func_wall name x2 & x3 target x1. But nothing happens there are no shadows. I also added an additional light to test out if it only works with regular light entities still no effect. Any recommendations?
    To make a shadow, your func_walls should have their 'lightflags' set to 'opaque'. Also, if they are smaller than the size of lightmap grid of the surface that receives the shadow, their shadow will be hardly visible.
    The light_shadow entity does not create the shadow. It's an entity that removes the shadow when triggered.

Update:

version 30

Improved the effect of texture lights.
    There will be no more bright spots near the texture light.
    The compile time will not increase much, unless the textures are very strangely aligned.
    This feature also reduces the compile time in '-extra' mode (which should be used for final compile), because without this feature, hlrad must divide 'texchop' by 2 to compensate for the bright spots.
    To disable this feature, use the parameter '-noemitterrange' for hlrad. This parameter also disables the fixing of darkness at corners.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture7.jpg 
Views:	816 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	15119

Added 'color' key in light_surface, which replaces the color of texture that emits texture light, when the value of 'color' is not empty.
    By default, each texture light face takes the brightness that is defined in 'light_surface' or 'info_texlights' or 'light.rad', and then emits to surroundings a combination of its brightness and the color of its texture.
    But sometimes, it is not satisfactory to use the color of its texture as the color of texture light.
    Now, the 'color' key in the light_surface allows you to replace the color of the texture and define the color of texture light.
    Note that this 'color' is different from the r g b components that can be found in the brightness of light entities or texture lights:
    Firstly, when 'color' is set, the color of the texture will be discarded.
    Secondly, the value of this 'color' is in the same space of texture colors, which is more powerful than the r g b brighness components of lights.
    Just like texture colors, this 'color' is tuned by the value of '-texreflectgamma' and '-texreflectscale'. In fact, if this 'color' equals to the color of the texture, then the emitted texture light is the same.

Fixed the darkness of bounced light at corners, which makes the map look much cleaner.
    This darkness can be noticed when the texture color is bright and the face at the corner happens to be very thin (either the original face is thin, or it is the result of bsp clipping).

Name:	picture3.jpg 
Views:	739 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	15120

Added an option to blur the lightmap, which will lessen Goldsrc's blocky look of shadows.
    To use this feature, add '-blur #' to hlrad's parameters. '#' should be a number larger than 1.0.

Name:	picture6.jpg 
Views:	934 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	15121

Improved the speed of hlbsp.
    Now hlbsp compiles very fast even if the map is extremely complicated.

Improved the culling of the func_detail's visibility, which will slightly benefit fps.

Reduced the possibility of causing invisible face problem.

Added the 'light_bounce' entity, which enables the switchable bounced light for opaque entities that have switchable shadows enabled by the 'light_shadow' entity.
    The 'light_shadow' can turn off and turn on the shadow of an opaque entity, to simulate the lighting when the opaque entity disappears and when it appears.
    However, 'light_shadow' does not turn off and turn on the light bounced off from that opaque entity at the same time. If the bounced light is strong enough and you want a perfect effect, 'light_bounce' entity should be used as well.
    The usage of 'light_bounce' is identical to 'light_shadow'. Typically, you place a 'light_shadow' and a 'light_bounce', both of them targeting at the same opaque entity. Then make sure these two light entity are always in the opposite state in the game: when one is turned on, the other one should be turned off.

Name:	picture4.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	15122
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here's an example of using light_shadow (and light_bounce)
    Attached Files Attached Files

good example "light_bounce" and "light_shadow".

Very nice changes. Cool stuff.

Oh God, I LOVE when your updates comes with improvements in visual maps, very good! Congratulations!

First of all, awesome updates, I really like it.

Improved the effect of texture lights.
    There will be no more bright spots near the texture light.
    I'm interested in technical details of this update. As far as i know, until this version texture lights were raytraced the same way as bunch of lights next to each other. How does it work now?
    Thanks
    Sorry for my english.

Tester

Just a quick Q;

zhlt_invisible(integer) and textures Starting with "AAA",

Initally the Attribute: zhlt_invisible was made available via SmartEdit to Add to an Entity so that if any non-Zero value was provided, it would cause faces to be rendered as NULL.

I use aaatrigger, aaa_wall aaa_push etc. to visually distinguish between different brushes within my WIP maps. [ I then Default added to my fgd the attribute
    zhlt_invisible(integer) : "Apply NULL texture in Game" : 1 ]

but then later it seems that you "Auto'ed" the compiler tools to remove (Do not render) any faces that are Textured with textures name aaaXXXX or aaa_XXXX (Was this correct ?)

If so, which one takes precedence within the tools ?
    I seem to be getting "NULL'ed" Textures for my aaa_brushes instead of Do not Render,
    [ Visible sometimes when compiling with hlvis -fast & was wondering if compiler fixes this when compiling -full or if I need to remove the defaults from my fgd ]

Thanks & good work with the Latest Update.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Thanks for all the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Backup View Post
    I'm interested in technical details of this update. As far as i know, until this version texture lights were raytraced the same way as bunch of lights next to each other. How does it work now?
    They are still using the same raytracing method. The only change is that after raytracing from the center of the texture light polygon (texture light patch), the brightness is calculated from the actual shape of the polygon.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-3d View Post
    Just a quick Q;

zhlt_invisible(integer) and textures Starting with "AAA",

Initally the Attribute: zhlt_invisible was made available via SmartEdit to Add to an Entity so that if any non-Zero value was provided, it would cause faces to be rendered as NULL.

I use aaatrigger, aaa_wall aaa_push etc. to visually distinguish between different brushes within my WIP maps. [ I then Default added to my fgd the attribute
    zhlt_invisible(integer) : "Apply NULL texture in Game" : 1 ]

but then later it seems that you "Auto'ed" the compiler tools to remove (Do not render) any faces that are Textured with textures name aaaXXXX or aaa_XXXX (Was this correct ?)
    No, only aaatrigger is invisible. aaa_wall or aaa_push are not.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-3d View Post
    If so, which one takes precedence within the tools ?
    I seem to be getting "NULL'ed" Textures for my aaa_brushes instead of Do not Render,
    [ Visible sometimes when compiling with hlvis -fast & was wondering if compiler fixes this when compiling -full or if I need to remove the defaults from my fgd ]

Thanks & good work with the Latest Update.
    NULLed = do not render the face.

Tester

Smile Re: custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn

Thanks for all the feedback.

No, only aaatrigger is invisible. aaa_wall or aaa_push are not.

NULLed = do not render the face.
    Thank you.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Update:
    version 30

Added 'color' key in light_surface, which replaces the color of texture that emits texture light, when the value of 'color' is not empty.
    By default, each texture light face takes the brightness that is defined in 'light_surface' or 'info_texlights' or 'light.rad', and then emits to surroundings a combination of its brightness and the color of its texture.
    But sometimes, it is not satisfactory to use the color of its texture as the color of texture light.
    Now, the 'color' key in the light_surface allows you to replace the color of the texture and define the color of texture light.
    Note that this 'color' is different from the r g b components that can be found in the brightness of light entities or texture lights:
    Firstly, when 'color' is set, the color of the texture will be discarded.
    Secondly, the value of this 'color' is in the same space of texture colors, which is more powerful than the r g b brighness components of lights.
    Just like texture colors, this 'color' is tuned by the value of '-texreflectgamma' and '-texreflectscale'. In fact, if this 'color' equals to the color of the texture, then the emitted texture light is the same.
    Two questions on this:

1. Can you further explain what you mean by 'color' is different from the RGB components? How/why is it different?

2. Regarding using the 'color' key in light_surface. If I want to globally change my texture light's color, is there any way to do this through lights.rad or info_texlights, rather than a light_surface (which is better suited to changing a small number of texture lights rather than global changes).

Thanks for all this work, these tools are rather awesome.

Why cut top sky brush?

Ultimate Monster Mapper amckern's Avatar  
    Programmer

Tisk, Tis, you should never cut sky box!
    SC Kicks ass!

My Maps - SC_28, SC_AVP, SC_AVP10, SC_Duno, SC_Max, Opposing Forts, SC_Massive, SC_Oni
    My Web Sites - AMMAHLS