Thread: [ARCHIVE] Custom ZHLT by vluzacn

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast

Re: custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn

Quote Originally Posted by FiEctro View Post

Why cut top sky brush?
    Because leaves are created on the X/Y plane and are only chopped on the Z plane when blocked by world geometry. If you have a large outdoor area, the leaf will be cut on an X/Y axis and the Z will go all the way up to the ceiling of the map, hence why it chops the skybox.

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Because leaves are created on the X/Y plane and are only chopped on the Z plane when blocked by world geometry. If you have a large outdoor area, the leaf will be cut on an X/Y axis and the Z will go all the way up to the ceiling of the map, hence why it chops the skybox.
    Very interesting Info. , so in essence if I understand you correctly placing something that blocks world geometry above a sky box can (sometimes but not always ??) cause this problem.

@FiEctro, you could try deleting and re-making the skybox, I have two "geometry blocks" above one of my current map skyboxes and cannot see any cuts (via gl_wireframe 1 or 2) BUT I did have a "see through the side of sky box problem" once, which was fixed by deleting the sky box and re-making it. EDIT: or else you are going to have to redesign map so nothing is above the sky-box as per GiGaBiTe.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-3d View Post
    Very interesting Info. , so in essence if I understand you correctly placing something that blocks world geometry above a sky box can (sometimes but not always ??) cause this problem.
    No. World structures on the ground level of the map affect leaves above them. If you have random brushes in the void above the map, it's not going to affect leaf creation inside the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Unq View Post
    Two questions on this:

1. Can you further explain what you mean by 'color' is different from the RGB components? How/why is it different?

2. Regarding using the 'color' key in light_surface. If I want to globally change my texture light's color, is there any way to do this through lights.rad or info_texlights, rather than a light_surface (which is better suited to changing a small number of texture lights rather than global changes).

Thanks for all this work, these tools are rather awesome.
    If you have set the 'color', the actual color of the texture will not affect the texture light. This is the purpose of the key 'color'.
    The power of the values in 'color' is stronger than the ones in 'brightness', though they are both in the range of 0-255.

Quote Originally Posted by FiEctro View Post
    Why cut top sky brush?
    The compiler always tries to cut the smallest number of faces. If it doesn't cut the sky face, it will probably cut other faces.

Quote Originally Posted by vluzacn View Post
    If you have set the 'color', the actual color of the texture will not affect the texture light. This is the purpose of the key 'color'.
    The power of the values in 'color' is stronger than the ones in 'brightness', though they are both in the range of 0-255.
    OK, thanks. And to get to my second question, is there any way to override using the texture's color for texture lighting, except for doing it through light_surface? I think it would be useful to have a different way to override this, particularly if you want to change the color of a particular texture's light for your entire map. Thanks.

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

y hello sir!
    got a problem, which could be a bug:
    tried to be cheap and replaced six textures of the hl/opfor portal map using ripent, latest version of these tools.
    the extracted .wad file contained a lot of invalid textures and after i replaced, i got this:

Notes for debuggin:
    - several .wad files were embedded, zhlt.wad and my custom one.
    - compiled the map with version .23
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

Manager

This shouldn't happen if you maintained the .tex file, and did not modify any dimensions of the textures embedded. You also can't add/remove/rename texture entries without updating the .tex.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Artist

there's no .tex file.
    I also kept the dimension and name of the textures.

Tester

Latest Ripent may anticipate the new clipnodes, brinkfix and optimisation features, why not try the version of ripent that came with v23.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

The ripent has two modes for handling the textures.

When '-textureexport' and '-textureimport' are used without '-textureparse', the .wad file generated by ripent will preserve the original structure of the texture data. The "invalid textures" represent the textures that have not been embedded into the .bsp file. You are not forbidden to edit or replace textures in the .wad file, but removing or adding any texture will break the order of the textures, even if the names are the same.

When they are used with '-textureparse', an additional .tex file will be generated, controlling the entire list of textures, and the .wad file will only contain the embedded textures. This mode is more suitable for editing the textures.

Artist

okay, that explains it all, i just did ripent.exe -export map.
    then, update the /? command please, there's nothing about texture export written.

trying later, thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Puchi View Post
    okay, that explains it all, i just did ripent.exe -export map.
    then, update the /? command please, there's nothing about texture export written.

trying later, thanks for the help.
    Get ripent.exe from v30 will solve it

Artist

just found another strange issue only for me: i did download and overwrite the ripent.exe but it actually wasnt. deleted, extracted again and now works all fine.
    thanks again for the help

Theres a collision hull bug in recent versions of VHLT allowing edges of sentry guns to be built in side of solid surfaces in team fortress classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Ninja View Post
    Theres a collision hull bug in recent versions of VHLT allowing edges of sentry guns to be built in side of solid surfaces in team fortress classic.
    This only happens when '-cliptype precise' is used. It lowers the height of players and objects when they are on slopes.

This only happens when '-cliptype precise' is used. It lowers the height of players and objects when they are on slopes.
    No. This even happens if legacy is used. I tried all clip types and same thing happens. Im not talking about floor surfaces. If you are too close to any vertical surface such as a wall, part of any buildable will spawn in side a wall. Then gravity very slowly pulls it downward jammed in side the map hull. This hasn't been possible with older versions of VHLT or any version ZHLT. For some reason team fortress classic is unable to properly interpret player distance from walls in maps compiled using most recent VHLT versions regardless of -cliptype settings.

No. This even happens if legacy is used. I tried all clip types and same thing happens. Im not talking about floor surfaces. If you are too close to any vertical surface such as a wall, part of any buildable will spawn in side a wall. Then gravity very slowly pulls it downward jammed in side the map hull. This hasn't been possible with older versions of VHLT or any version ZHLT. For some reason team fortress classic is unable to properly interpret player distance from walls in maps compiled using most recent VHLT versions regardless of -cliptype settings.
    I did a test and it didn't sink.

I can't make texture lights work with this. In ZHLT, you could place a .rad file named identically and in the same folder as the .rmf, and it would use that .rad file for texture lights. Here it doesn't work. Can you fix that?
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I can't make texture lights work with this. In ZHLT, you could place a .rad file named identically and in the same folder as the .rmf, and it would use that .rad file for texture lights. Here it doesn't work. Can you fix that?
    Think using entity: info_texlights would be quicker and possibly better. (lights.rad but in map)
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

You could just add -lights path/file.rad to the radiosity compile options. It should automatically load lights.rad in the same directory as hlrad.exe if no option is set.

Place the .rad file in the same folder as the .map/.bsp file that is fed to the compile tools. You could check the compile log for its path.

I did a test and it didn't sink.
    Did you test it specifically in team fortress? This only happens when building too close to a wall. Distance from the wall you are facing has to be precise for the edge of the entity's hull to spawn in side the map wall.

The game is having a hard time properly interpreting distance from wall in maps compiled using the later VHLT and only later versions of VHLT. This problem doesn't exist in maps compiled using ZHLT and older VHLT. I've used -cliptype precise in your more older VHLT versions and this problem didn't exist. But your most recent versions have this problem regardless of what -cliptype is set to. I don't really appreciate your skepticism about problems I claim to exist. How are you testing this problem anyway?

I tried screen recording an example of the problem but youtube is unable to recognize avi files created by xfire.
    Last edited by Urban_Ninja; 08-01-2013 at 06:10 AM.

Did you test it specifically in team fortress? This only happens when building too close to a wall. Distance from the wall you are facing has to be precise for the edge of the entity's hull to spawn in side the map wall.

The game is having a hard time properly interpreting distance from wall in maps compiled using the later VHLT and only later versions of VHLT. This problem doesn't exist in maps compiled using ZHLT and older VHLT. I've used -cliptype precise in your more older VHLT versions and this problem didn't exist. But your most recent versions have this problem regardless of what -cliptype is set to. I don't really appreciate your skepticism about problems I claim to exist. How are you testing this problem anyway?

I tried screen recording an example of the problem but youtube is unable to recognize avi files created by xfire.
    Well, you need to be specific about the problem. Perhaps I couldn't reproduce the problem because I'm using a different version of tfc. And if it is a bug of the compiler, then it is extremely unlikely that this bug happens in all walls of all maps and only happens for a certain distance. You can make a box map and test it, because a box map is so simple that all compilers will produce the same clipnode.
    Last edited by vluzacn; 08-01-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Well, you need to be specific about the problem. Perhaps I couldn't reproduce the problem because I'm using a different version of tfc. And if it is a bug of the compiler, then it is extremely unlikely that this bug happens in all walls of all maps and only happens for a certain distance. You can make a box map and test it, because a box map is so simple that all compilers will produce the same clipnode.
    I thought I was being specific about the problem. Im not sure how to be more specific than what I've already said. Its one of those things words alone cant be detailed enough. I would have to try recording it using fraps since xfire clearly changed their avi encoding to something not widely recognized by media players, format converters and web sites.

This clipnode bug isn't in specific spots in the map. Its every single wall.
    Last edited by Urban_Ninja; 08-01-2013 at 09:12 PM.

vluzacn, is there a way to get this to be compatible with D3D instead of just open GL? if this has been addressed already i apologize