Thread: [ARCHIVE] Custom ZHLT by vluzacn

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast

Re: custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn

Quote Originally Posted by Timmycakes View Post
    vluzacn, is there a way to get this to be compatible with D3D instead of just open GL? if this has been addressed already i apologize
    Why? The compiler is compatible with D3D.

well i use the compiler tools for counter-strike and my friend noticed that in D3D mode you get this when using func_detail:

its as if the edges of func_details are highlighted and in game it looks the same if u have 1 brush overlapping another (meaning, its very glitchy looking)

How to fix it? World geometry only.

well i use the compiler tools for counter-strike and my friend noticed that in D3D mode you get this when using func_detail:

its as if the edges of func_details are highlighted and in game it looks the same if u have 1 brush overlapping another (meaning, its very glitchy looking)
    This is because there are two faces that are very close in depth, which in your case are the func_detail and the world face covered by the func_detail. So, replacing the func_detail with func_wall will still result in the same issue. And I guess things like posters that are 1 unit in front of a wall also has the same issue. My video card doesn't have this issue on either OpenGL or D3D renderer (yes, it depends on video card), so I can not test it now.

To solve this, set func_detail's 'Lower its level to chop others' to 1 (if its 'Detail level' is 1), then the covered world face will get completely removed.
    And are you using an extraordinary 'Max viewable distance'?
    Last edited by vluzacn; 10-01-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FiEctro View Post
    How to fix it? World geometry only.
    The ground seems to have a very large texture scale. Then the lightmap samples of the ground will be sparse, and the light reflected from it will become inaccurate.

EDIT: works perfectly now, thank you!
    Last edited by Timmycakes; 10-01-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Hi,
    I was wondering if it is possible with the info_translucent to create a 'cloudy glass' effect? So for instance it'll still have that transculent look with the dispersion of light through it, yet being slightly transparent so details and players can be seen through it.
    I don't know if it is possible, but it would look sweet, especially for this offie complex based map I have in mind.

Many thanks

Even if you managed to fix the problem, there's really no reason to be using D3D mode in HL anymore. The D3D renderer has always been chock full of bugs, and was experimental to begin with. The sole reason it was created was to not leave the people with OpenGL incapable GPUs of the time out in the dust with software mode.

GPUs of the era were still mostly 2D parts, with only a select few being able to run 3D without burdening the host CPU. An even fewer still were able to run OpenGL properly (mostly only 3dfx and Nvidia's TNT series.) The ATI RAGE series was completely incapable of running in OpenGL mode beyond slideshow rates (which was by far one of the most prolific GPU series of the time due to the OEM market.)

Anyway, nearly all video cards from at least the past decade are capable of running HL in OpenGL mode.

believe me, i know giga. however, the server i make maps for is FULL of non-steam foreigners who probably have crappy-azz computers. plus my friend (who is the owner) is a stick in the mud about making sure its PERFECT for all players.

i wish i didnt have to use this "fix" because i dont want the func_details to chop anything. thats kinda the point of why im making these brushes func_detail lol

anyway yes D3D sucks

believe me, i know giga. however, the server i make maps for is FULL of non-steam foreigners who probably have crappy-azz computers. plus my friend (who is the owner) is a stick in the mud about making sure its PERFECT for all players.
    I wouldn't bother to support people running illegal Half-life installs, it's really a waste of time and you don't get anything out of it.

And I know the Asian market is full of PCs from yesteryear. I get nearly daily intrusion attempts on my network by PCs in southeast Asia (Korea, Hong Kong, China, Laos, etc.) When I'm bored, I'll reverse the tables and probe them to see what I find. It's usually some Pentium 3 or VIA C3 at around 1 GHz and 256MB-1GB RAM with some illegal copy of Windows XP and other illegal software.

It's funny because most of those machines are running open VNC or remote desktop servers. You can just waltz right on in and do whatever you want. You know they aren't zombies because a skid wouldn't want other people to use his "stuff".

if only the person in charge of "my" server thought the way you did ;p

1. VHLT supported AO?
    2. Compilators supported x64?
    Last edited by FiEctro; 28-01-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Tbh, I've just started getting used to the features in these releases, but i'm glad were finally able to build detailed terrain using tetrahedra without the fear of invisible faces faces viewed at different angles and weird clipping issues. Also func_detail and zhlt_usemodel are a godsend since i map for CS 1.6.

I've got 1 request/suggestion tho; can you give the texturing tool a look? I don't think that tool received any love since the inception of VHE. It'd be great to have a blend texture feature, like VHE 4.0 has for displacements. Maybe something to work together with the Nemesis terrain generator, or better yet, the terrain trimesh utility that was posted in this forum not long ago? Heck, it doesn't even have to be a "real" texture, for all i care we could use detail textures for an extra layer, if that would make coding any easier...

I realize this may be out of your area of expertise but i'm tossing this idea out there anyways, since there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable folks reading this topic.
    Keep up the good work!

Hi,
    I got this crazy idea: Would it be possible to implement LOD models using VIS? Create a separate visleaf for each level and then alter visibility of these visleaves by their distance.
    So I modified vis compiler and created test model and some maps:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpi3F8gPl5o
    (In that second map a lot of models were disappearing or changing their LOD at wrong time)

Do you think this could be fixed and used in real maps, or is it just crazy idea unusable in practice?
    Sorry for my english.

Manager

Hi there,

I'm getting this line in VL29 (I don't see any mention of it fixed in VL30):
    Error: Wad configuration: '-wadcfgfile' conflicts with '-wadconfig'. You should only use one of them.
    You mentioned that you reverted code earlier to allow the classic WAD configurations to work again, but these two options must to be used together. "wadcfgfile" defines the file name to use, and "wadconfig" chooses the configuration name inside the file to use.

The reason pointing to different files is useful is because I sometimes do map compiling for other people, and they hand me their WAD configuration file. I also compile maps on the maps repository from our development sub-version server, which also involves other people's WAD configurations.
    Last edited by AdamR; 08-02-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added a purpose
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Manager

More about my above post: Here is a fixed code block for qcsg.cpp, starting from line 2680.
    Code:
    /* AdamR: Removing this error because this completely breaks the classic WAD configuration feature
    	if (g_wadcfgfile && g_wadconfigname)
    	{
    		Error ("Wad configuration: '-wadcfgfile' conflicts with '-wadconfig'. You should only use one of them.");
    	}
    */
    	if (g_wadcfgfile && !g_wadconfigname)
    	{
    		if (!q_exists (g_wadcfgfile))
    		{
    			Error("Couldn't find wad configuration file '%s'\n", g_wadcfgfile);
    		}
    		LoadWadcfgfile (g_wadcfgfile);
    	}
    	if (g_wadconfigname)
    	{
    		char temp[_MAX_PATH];
    		char test[_MAX_PATH];
    		safe_strncpy (temp, argv[0], _MAX_PATH);
    		ExtractFilePath (temp, test);
    		safe_strncat( test, "wad.cfg", _MAX_PATH );

if( g_wadcfgfile )
    		{
    			if (!q_exists (g_wadcfgfile))
    			{
    				Error("Couldn't find wad configuration file '%s'\n", g_wadcfgfile);
    			}
    			safe_strncpy( test, g_wadcfgfile, _MAX_PATH );
    		}

LoadWadconfig (test, g_wadconfigname);
    	}
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Quote Originally Posted by Kachito View Post
    Tbh, I've just started getting used to the features in these releases, but i'm glad were finally able to build detailed terrain using tetrahedra without the fear of invisible faces faces viewed at different angles and weird clipping issues. Also func_detail and zhlt_usemodel are a godsend since i map for CS 1.6.

I've got 1 request/suggestion tho; can you give the texturing tool a look? I don't think that tool received any love since the inception of VHE. It'd be great to have a blend texture feature, like VHE 4.0 has for displacements. Maybe something to work together with the Nemesis terrain generator, or better yet, the terrain trimesh utility that was posted in this forum not long ago? Heck, it doesn't even have to be a "real" texture, for all i care we could use detail textures for an extra layer, if that would make coding any easier...

I realize this may be out of your area of expertise but i'm tossing this idea out there anyways, since there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable folks reading this topic.
    Keep up the good work!
    That would have to be coded into the engine, you couldn't do something like that with compile tools alone. About the only thing you could do is make pre-blended textures and put those between two different textures. It looks alright, but it's time consuming and uses excessive compiler resources.

snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks Green Astronauts's Avatar

Hello everybody,

I have a few questions, mainly regarding VHLT and clipnodes.
    • Why was clipnode economy mode disabled by default? Without this mode, a map of mine uses 73.9% of the maximum amount of clipnodes but with it, only 55.2% of all available clipnodes are used. Both of these results were gotten using the 'simple' cliptype.
    • Why was the info_hullzone entity removed?
    • The BSP parameter -nohull2 discards the entire second clipping hull, but I'm looking for a way to have this hull only present in specific parts of my map. I map for a medieval fantasy RPG mod for Half-Life (which I will not advertise here as that's impolite) and some of the monsters use clip hull 2, and others don't. If I can get away with only having parts of the second clipping hull where I need them, I could save a massive amount of clipnodes.
    • What is the point of the zhlt_transform keyvalue? I managed to deduce that the format for this key's value is "scale Xtranslation Ytranslation Ztranslation" (correct?), and indeed if I use "zhlt_transform" "2 0 0 8" on a brush (with an origin) it'll double in size and then move up eight units, but I don't see the point. No offense of course!
    • This is more of a general question, I hope you guys don't mind me asking: What exactly does the BEVEL texture do? Is it true that it acts like NULL, but also discards the actual face? Is there any reason I should be using NULL instead of BEVEL? Are there pitfalls when using BEVEL?
    • Final question for now, VHLT-specific again: What does the BEVELbrush texture do, how do I use it and where/when should I use it?

I find these tools fascinating, by the way. While I still have my never-ending battle with MAX_MAP_CLIPNODES, a ton of other things became a lot easier with ZHLT v3.4 VL30! Thanks vluzacn!

Manager

How big is your map? Are you using clip brushes to reduce your clip ode count?
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks Green Astronauts's Avatar

My map is colossal, about as big as they get. It's a series of floating snowy islands, in seven separate areas. In Hammer the current WIP version looks like this. Almost all floating islands are func_detail, by the way, just to clarify the large amount of pink in that screenshot :p
    I'm using vluzacn's ±16384 unit gridhack so it may seem that the map could be bigger, but everything I built thusfar is very, very close to the ±4096 unit boundaries.
    I've done some optimization with CLIP brushes, as you can see in that pic. I have yet to optimize more, though.

Basically the most detailed part of the map (which is, fortunately, already finished and therefore won't be eating more clipnodes) is a massive tower (click) on one of the floating islands.

For the rest, the map mostly looks like this and this.

This map is actually an updated version of an older map I made. Most of what I have yet to do is entity work, but in terms of clipnode-eating additions I still have ahead of me:
    • A large bridge on three floating islands (pic of old version here, without floating islands)
    • Some ruins here and there to spice things up (pic of old version here, pre-really-snowy version)
    • Monsterclips in a lot of locations to prevent monsters from falling off the islands

The bridge will eat up lots of clipnodes. I'm not really concerned about the monsterclips and the ruins (and foliage) here and there. Still though, it's a pretty ambitious project and I'll probably be pushing against the clipnode limit once I'm done.

Edit: I just compiled the bridge section (only) of the old version of this map, and it only eats up 2154 clipnodes ('simple' cliptype + clipnode economy mode), or 6.6% of the limit. I'm actually optimistic now!
    Last edited by Green Astronauts; 06-04-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Green Astronauts View Post
    My map is colossal, about as big as they get. It's a series of floating snowy islands, in seven separate areas. In Hammer the current WIP version looks like this. Almost all floating islands are func_detail, by the way, just to clarify the large amount of pink in that screenshot
    I'm using vluzacn's ±16384 unit gridhack so it may seem that the map could be bigger, but everything I built thusfar is very, very close to the ±4096 unit boundaries.
    I've done some optimization with CLIP brushes, as you can see in that pic. I have yet to optimize more, though.

Basically the most detailed part of the map (which is, fortunately, already finished and therefore won't be eating more clipnodes) is a massive tower (click) on one of the floating islands.

For the rest, the map mostly looks like this and this.

This map is actually an updated version of an older map I made. Most of what I have yet to do is entity work, but in terms of clipnode-eating additions I still have ahead of me:
    • A large bridge on three floating islands (pic of old version here, without floating islands)
    • Some ruins here and there to spice things up (pic of old version here, pre-really-snowy version)
    • Monsterclips in a lot of locations to prevent monsters from falling off the islands

The bridge will eat up lots of clipnodes. I'm not really concerned about the monsterclips and the ruins (and foliage) here and there. Still though, it's a pretty ambitious project and I'll probably be pushing against the clipnode limit once I'm done.

Edit: I just compiled the bridge section (only) of the old version of this map, and it only eats up 2154 clipnodes ('simple' cliptype + clipnode economy mode), or 6.6% of the limit. I'm actually optimistic now!

I've been researching the gridsize and it turns out we only need to do some minimal game code updates to support Half-Life 2-size levels.
    We need to release a new delta.lst file (this file lists what variables are sent over the network and what size they are) and get rid of code that removes objects past +/-4096.
    We should be getting this out in the next release.

Those are full-size Gargantuas.
    Last edited by Sniper; 06-04-2013 at 10:25 AM.

My map isn't for Sven Co-op though, nor do I want to map outside the default ±4096 unit boundaries.

I did make a really long test map once, just like yours, but before I reached the end I ran into some invisible wall. Movement was also fairly laggy. I edited delta.lst (found instructions somewhere) and then managed to walk all the way to the end of the map (close to one of the ±16384 unit boundaries) but movement was still laggy. Entities didn't function, or behaved odd.
    Still, it's an interesting experiment.

Edit: I just noticed that the x-coordinate in your screenshots is over 30000, nearly double of 16384! How!?

Contributor

>_< I demand you make it for Sven Co-op (You know as this is a Sven Co-op forum)

Does my map look that good O_o...?

Also, of course I'm aware this is a Sven Co-op forum. But this particular thread is the discussion thread for VHLT so I figured I could ask my questions here.

Hello everybody,

I have a few questions, mainly regarding VHLT and clipnodes.[*]Why was clipnode economy mode disabled by default? Without this mode, a map of mine uses 73.9% of the maximum amount of clipnodes but with it, only 55.2% of all available clipnodes are used. Both of these results were gotten using the 'simple' cliptype.
    You can remove the clipnode of any entity by manually adding a keyvalue into it, with key 'zhlt_noclip' and value '1'. This allows you to optimize the clipnode at entity level. Modification to fgd file can be made to simplify this.

The clipnode economy mode is disabled by default because it breaks the functionality of '-onlyents', a compile mode where you can update any entity parameter without compiling the whole map.
    For example, suppose you have a func_illusionary, then in clipnode economy mode, hlcsg removes its clipnode, as it knows it's a func_illusionary. However, if you change the entity's classname to func_wall and do a '-onlyents' compile, it will still have no clipnode and cause the player to be able to move through it. This problem might not be huge since mappers don't often change the classname of an entity, but it could be very confusing and frustrating once it occurs, and it will also increase the difficulty for me to write VHLT's documentation. In order to prevent this problem, the key principle which the compiler should follow is that it should not interact with game entities (the entities that are recognized by the game engine), with a few exceptions like light, light_environment, and game_text for VHLT.

[*]Why was the info_hullzone entity removed?
    Because I initially created it to help optimize clipnode, but later suddenly realized that the CLIP texture does the same job and is much better.

[*]The BSP parameter -nohull2 discards the entire second clipping hull, but I'm looking for a way to have this hull only present in specific parts of my map. I map for a medieval fantasy RPG mod for Half-Life (which I will not advertise here as that's impolite) and some of the monsters use clip hull 2, and others don't. If I can get away with only having parts of the second clipping hull where I need them, I could save a massive amount of clipnodes.
    For the area where hull 2 is not needed, cover the area with a CLIPHULL2 brush (CLIPHULL2 is the name of a texture in 'zhlt.wad').
    It is just like a CLIP brush, except that it only affects hull 2. If there are func_details in the area, they will also be optimized by the same CLIPHULL2 brush that you have put. But if there are entities like func_walls in the area, each of them will need its own CLIPHULL2 brush, because each game entity is processed seperatedly until getting lighted.

[*]What is the point of the zhlt_transform keyvalue? I managed to deduce that the format for this key's value is "scale Xtranslation Ytranslation Ztranslation" (correct?), and indeed if I use "zhlt_transform" "2 0 0 8" on a brush (with an origin) it'll double in size and then move up eight units, but I don't see the point. No offense of course!
    It's pointless if you have installed the floating-point enabler for hammer.

[*]This is more of a general question, I hope you guys don't mind me asking: What exactly does the BEVEL texture do? Is it true that it acts like NULL, but also discards the actual face? Is there any reason I should be using NULL instead of BEVEL? Are there pitfalls when using BEVEL?
    The BEVEL texture is very complicated. It changes the clipnode of a brush in such a way that any player approaching the brush will not be blocked by the brush until his origin reached the plane that the BEVEL face lies on.
    As for clipnode usage, BEVEL has no advantage over NULL. Sometimes BEVEL even use 150% as much clipnodes as NULL.
    The only advantage of BEVEL is less planes, which may result in smaller file size.

[*]Final question for now, VHLT-specific again: What does the BEVELbrush texture do, how do I use it and where/when should I use it?

I find these tools fascinating, by the way. While I still have my never-ending battle with MAX_MAP_CLIPNODES, a ton of other things became a lot easier with ZHLT v3.4 VL30! Thanks vluzacn!
    It gives every face in the same brush the function of BEVEL, at the same time only requiring one face to be painted BEVELBRUSH, leaving other faces capable of having other textures like CLIPHULL*. It can be used if you need some precise control over the shape of clipnode.