Thread: [ARCHIVE] Custom ZHLT by vluzacn

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Re: custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn

Probably

He was doing some experiments, but didnt get any errors.

Update:

version 20

Improved the quality of diffuse light from light_environment. There will be no more strange pattern casted from windows into rooms. Disable with rad parameter '-softsky 0'.

New samples position calculation and bounced light smoothing code. Also correct the precision of .p0/.p1/.p2/.p3 file and tjunc process. Seam between adjacent faces in the same plane are now almost invisible.

Speeded up opaque entity. It is now based on BSP structure and is really fast.

Added a new nonsolid type of brush. The content of a brush will be removed if any face is textured with 'SKIP'. Thus you can build a single face without chopping chunks out of overlapping brushes. As a result, SKIP+HINT does not split intersecting brushes anymore. However, using SKIP+NULL instead of SKIP+HINT is recommended, since HINT splits the world in highest priority, which might not be effective.

Fixed a bug that causes "Warning: Leaf portal saw into leaf" and wrong vis.

Increased MAX_MAP_LEAFS from 8192 to 32760. The only strange effect that I have noticed is that some leafs are invisible when the map is being viewed from outside.

Increased MAX_LEAF_FACES from 1024 to 16384, so the compiler will not hit this internal limit.

Now optimizes light entities to reduce number of edicts used by named lights in game. Duplicated light names will be removed. Disable with csg parameter '-nolightopt'.

Optimized patch (sample of bounced lighting) placing. Number of patches now decreases about 20%. Surprisingly, lighting quality gets better.

Now optimizes texture alignment data and texture data. Textures that are not referred by any visible faces after bsp process, such as CLIP, SKIP and NULL, will be removed from bsp file.

Now removes visible faces other than 'sky' inside sky brushes.

Now removes backside surface of func_water which is also visible in HL by mistake and affects fps.

Now removes wad pathes from wad names.

Allow func_group to be noclip (passable) according to its 'zhlt_noclip' key.

Improved the order of bsp splitting. Number of nodes, clipnodes, leafs and portals decreases about 5%.

Added a way of setting the bound of entities manually, so you can customize the size of a func_pushable. Use 'BoundingBox' texture in the same way of creating an origin.

Added support for entity with only CLIP brushes or even with no brushes. Note that this feature will create a .hsz file.

Now automatically detects and fills all areas where no entities exist. That is to remove faces in spaces that hide between solid brushes due to carelessness. Disable with bsp parameter '-noinsidefill' if you prefer filling them manually.

Fixed a bug that causes the first face lacking of bounced lighting.

Fixed a bug that causes overlapping brush faces in entities not to be removed.

Edit: Sorry, I produced a bug in VL20. But it won't affect anything unless there are light_shadow placed in your map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	softsky.jpg 
Views:	979 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	14498  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vluzacn; 05-12-2010 at 12:28 AM.

I have also written a tool that hacks hammer's grid range so that brushes can be constructed outside +/-4096.

This tool will increase the range Hammer's grid area from -4096~+4096 to -16384~+16384 and also slightly change the maximum visible distance and the minimum and maximum zoom scale.

Note:
    Because of the restriction of the game engine, if the origin of any entity is outside -4096~+4096, it will not be rendered correctly.
    So you should not place any point entities or ORIGIN brushes outside +/-4096, and you should not let the players or other movable objects go outside +/-4096.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vluzacn; 21-10-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Manager

Nice update
    Increased MAX_MAP_LEAFS from 8192 to 32760.
    That can safely be 32767, but not 32768 -- signed short.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

"Now removes wad pathes from wad names."

That's awesome. Thank you. =)
    (it has always bothered me)

Manager

I'm currently relying on a version of these tools (posted in the thread earlier) that lets me place brushes outside of the world limits/boundary.

Hammer's cordon tool places a giant thick-walled box around desired sections of your map so the map can be quickly compiled/previewed.
    The problem is the thick box that gets generated by the cordon tool isn't just thick, it's excessively thick. This causes the Brush <#>: bounds out of range error.

A newer version of the compile tools I tried (on this thread) had this feature removed. It's highly useful (if not extremely important) for when using the cordon tool on brushes that are already directly up against the world boundary in Hammer.
    - David "Sniper" McDermott
    Sven Co-op Lead Programmer
    "I mean it's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Contributor

Note that current networking code does not allow movement beyond ~+-8192.

Nice hack. How did you pinpoint the correct bytes? That was something I could
    not get done even after fiddling with IDA for a while.

Very good changelog, and since you finally bothered increasing MAX_MAP_LEAFS, SHLT are now obsolete.

Well, I did try your tools on one of my maps close to limits, and it did not compile, while SHLT still worked:

Your tools: http://privatepaste.com/3cc031eb39

SHLT: http://privatepaste.com/48fb4234fb

Chinese/Asian haxorz kicked Silencer's TOKUS! pwninated.

I have also written a tool that hacks hammer's grid range so that brushes can be constructed outside +/-4096.
    Woo, awesome heh-HEH YEAH UNGHHH!

From the origin (0,0,0), or linear diameter?

Ultimate Monster Mapper amckern's Avatar  
    Programmer

Don't you love mixed faces?

We need less blenders (HAHA?)
    SC Kicks ass!

My Maps - SC_28, SC_AVP, SC_AVP10, SC_Duno, SC_Max, Opposing Forts, SC_Massive, SC_Oni
    My Web Sites - AMMAHLS

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    Nor origins of visible objects outside (-4096,-4096,-4096)~(4096,4096,4096)

I simply browsed and tested each of the -4096 in hammer.exe file.

Well, I did try your tools on one of my maps close to limits, and it did not compile, while SHLT still worked:

Your tools: http://privatepaste.com/3cc031eb39

SHLT: http://privatepaste.com/48fb4234fb
    Probably because I turned off '-clipeconomy' by default. Otherwise if it is caused by hlbsp.exe, this will be serious.
    You can also try '-cliptype simple' which generates fewest but perfect clipnodes.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    Nice update

That can safely be 32767, but not 32768 -- signed short.
    I noticed something like 'MAX_MAP_LEAFS/8' in hlvis. Not a big problem, though.

Manager

Good to see you've upped the entity limits now. I have the following issues when compiling your code though:
    fatal error C1189: #error : . c:\users\adam reece\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\zhlt\vluzacn\common\cmdlib.h 43
    This is repeated about 50+ times!

Not had this from your compilers before... also not found a respectable fix yet, though commenting out the 3-line definition check block allows me to compile. Oddly HLCSG is the only project that can compile with the block there.

error C3163: '_vsnprintf': attributes inconsistent with previous declaration c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\stdio.h 358 hlcsg
    This is repeated about 10 times.

I'm sure I had this in a previous version, and the fix is to comment out common:win32fix.h:20.

Error 101 error C2059: syntax error : 'constant' c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\include\statreg.h 157 hlcsg
    Error 102 error C2238: unexpected token(s) preceding ';' c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\include\statreg.h 157 hlcsg
    This just appears once and like your previous versions is because you already have this defined in bspfile.h (line 78).

To fix this our definition needs to be changed to MAX_VAL at common:bspfile.h:78, and the 2 occurrences of it being referenced:
    • common:bspfile.cpp:624
    • hlcsg:properties.cpp:34

----------------

There are also 2 warnings in hlbsp:outside.cpp:587&603
    warning C4805: '==' : unsafe mix of type 'int' and type 'bool' in operation
    Code:
    if (node->empty == true)
    This is fixed by using a boolean cast as follows:
    Code:
    if ( ((bool)node->empty) == true )
    Last edited by AdamR; 25-11-2010 at 06:19 AM.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Manager

This doesn't matter because Hammer won't let you map outside of that area.
    - David "Sniper" McDermott
    Sven Co-op Lead Programmer
    "I mean it's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    This doesn't matter because Hammer won't let you map outside of that area.
    My statement was in relation to vluzacn's VHE grid hack.

Ultimate Monster Mapper amckern's Avatar  
    Programmer

So if your going to map off the grid, its going to be for things that are like a mountain range or something?
    SC Kicks ass!

My Maps - SC_28, SC_AVP, SC_AVP10, SC_Duno, SC_Max, Opposing Forts, SC_Massive, SC_Oni
    My Web Sites - AMMAHLS

Contributor

Probably. Going beyond +-4096 will also cause floating point number calculations to become incorrect. E.g., movement in that area will feel sluggish/incorrect, especially at high server ticrates. (More than thirty FPS)

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Chinese/Asian haxorz kicked Silencer's TOKUS! pwninated.
    Excellent bluntness there, but yeah.
    It should be obvious that vluzacn has far greater programming knowledge than me and also has put way more effort into the tools' development; and I appreciate it.
    It currently is all just beyond the scope of things I can currently afford to learn, but about his level is where I am - ultimately so - aiming at.
    Last edited by Silencer; 25-11-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Probably. Going beyond +-4096 will also cause floating point number calculations to become incorrect. E.g., movement in that area will feel sluggish/incorrect, especially at high server ticrates. (More than thirty FPS)

EDIT:

Excellent bluntness there, but yeah.
    It should be obvious that vluzacn has far greater programming knowledge than me and also has put way more effort into the tools' development; and I appreciate it.
    It currently is all just beyond the scope of things I can currently afford to learn, but about his level is where I am - ultimately so - aiming at.
    Heh, I apologize if my comment was discouraging or hurtful or anything. I don't know how to program, so I'm on even lesser grounds. ;\

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Heh, I apologize if my comment was discouraging or hurtful or anything. I don't know how to program, so I'm on even lesser grounds. ;\
    Vluzacn is likely to be more pissed for you calling him "Chinese/Asian haxor".
    What he did was programming and reverse engineering, whereas the programming
    part involved a lot of understanding others' uncommented code, which is a striking
    skill, and maths.

Maybe this is just me, but I always like to throw something hard and heavy when I hear people refer
    to someone as 'hacker' or 'computer freak' simply for knowing his field as he should, and as everyone
    else knows his own. That's a blatant insult, imho.

Manager

That guy is a total tree hacker look at him hack that tree the fuck down.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

@vluzacn
    I apologize if I have offended you. ;o My best tutors were Asian hackers. ;\

Hmm, if only the engine's 4096 limits could be hacked and doubled, then vluzacn's gridhack would be like...

Manager

You could do that but then enjoy your VAC ban.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    You could do that but then enjoy your VAC ban.
    Make -insecure a default? Makes no sense not to for a co-op game.. especially one based on an old and outdated engine.

Then the team could complain to Valve about not being able to use VAC because Goldsource needs its limits increased to 8192. :P

Manager

We can't block servers running in secure mode though, neither can we stop players joining them and getting a VAC ban.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Contributor

Still having mixed leafnode contents problem. There appear to be other people having the same problem and vluzacn making patches, but not here. Need to create an account + working through language I cannot read nor speak with google translator, meh.

http://www.modchina.com/viewthread.p...&extra=&page=1

EDIT: -cliptype simple and legacy seem to make this warning appear less often. Putting -clipeconomy does not appear to change the quantity of the warning.

EDIT2: By the way, why did you choose to have clipeconomy disabled by default? I was under the impression it is an entirely benign function.
    Last edited by Silencer; 09-01-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Still having mixed leafnode contents problem.
    If there are no errors in polygons and hulls(walk and crouch around to check) at the suggested position, you can ignore them.
    hlbsp can usually handle the 'mixed contents' properly.

EDIT2: By the way, why did you choose to have clipeconomy disabled by default? I was under the impression it is an entirely benign function.
    Clipnodes can not be back when people do '-onlyents' compile or change entity properties in game. This may cause confusion.
    Also there is way to noclip entity manually, but if clipeconomy is on then you can not unnoclip entity.
    If you have not hit the max clipnodes, there are little difference between clipeconomy on and off, because clipnodes only cost 200+KB at most. If you have hit the max clipnodes, you should reduce clipnodes manually, and this is easy to do.
    Last edited by vluzacn; 09-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast