Thread: [ARCHIVE] Custom ZHLT by vluzacn

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn

Update:

version 23

Now light bouncing and texture light are influenced by texture color.
    The reflectivity for 255white texture is 1.0 . Change with '-texreflectscale #'.
    The gamma value that relates reflectivity to texture color is 2.5 . Change with '-texreflectgamma #'.
    Also fixed some bugs in light bouncing between entity and changed default bounce to 8 times.

Now shadows from textures beginning with { are casted according to the opaque area of texture.

Since hlrad needs texture data, wad pathes have to be provided.
    This can be done by editing the file 'settings.txt' and replace the 'C:\Half-Life\xxx' after '-waddir' with wad folders of your game.
    Disable texture data loading with hlrad parameter '-notextures'.

New translucent effect for materials such as fabric, coarse glass, plastic. They are now able to receive light that comes from the back side of the face.
    Usage: Create an info_translucent entity, disable the Smart Edit mode, add keyvalues. Keys are names of textures, values are their translucent amount.
    Values are from 0.0 to 1.0: 0.0 = normal; 0.3 = 30% light from back and 70% light from front; 1.0 = 100% light from back and 0% light from front. Also support 3 values mode to set r g b amount individually.
    There is also a limitation in the shape of solids that use translucent textures: They must not be thicker than 2 units. (The max thickness '2' can be changed by hlrad parameter '-depth #').

Provide a convenient way of creating texture lights.
    Usage: Place a light_surface entity near the face which you want to emit light.
    'Texture name' shall be the name of texture of the face.
    'Filter max distance' can exclude faces whose centers are far from this light_surface.
    'Texture brightness' is the brightness value that the face obtains. 80 is enough to ensure brightness of the texture itself.
    'Inner angle' and 'Outer angle' are 90 and 'Adjust emit scale' is 1.0 for normal texture lights by default. Smaller angle and larget scale can be used to simulate spotlight.
    'Fast' is useful when the face is large and brightness is low. The result of fast lighting is very similar to bounce lighting.
    The light_surface can be triggered and have appearance like other light entities. Actually its classname will be changed to 'light' or 'light_spot' according to your choice.
    Note: If you want to set any of these value to 0, fill in 0.0 instead. Otherwise Hammer will ignore the keyvalue.

Stop black areas in opaque entities from leaking out, in faces that intersect with opaque entities. Disable this feature with hlrad parameter '-blockopaque 0'.

Fixed some errors in hlbsp that exists on my version.

Ensure faces in func_group cover world faces when they overlap.

Improved bsp process to prevent some epsilon problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	translucent.png 
Views:	1241 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	14552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shadow.png 
Views:	1224 
Size:	570.3 KB 
ID:	14553  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vluzacn; 09-01-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Contributor

I see. I believe I had messed up clipnodes when performing ripent once. Is that related? And do you know how that comes?
    Another reason to get rid of as many clipnodes as possible is to reduce engine computation time on trace lines, at least I imagine so,
    though the clipnodes removed by clipeconomy would not be checked with anyway?
    Last edited by Silencer; 09-01-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    the clipnodes removed by clipeconomy would not be checked with anyway?
    I believe the clipnode checks are fully opmitized in HL, since Hammer even don't let pass the reduction of a keyvalue with value '0'.

Contributor

I see. The leafnode contents problem appears to be gone with this version, thanks.
    Also those new light features sound interesting. Will try it sometime. =)

EDIT: It still appears you have MAX_MAP_LEAVES at 8192.
    Apparantly that can safely be 32767. At least noone ever had problems with going far beyond 8192.

EDIT2: Old ZHLT had a useful bug where clip brushes in solid entities would not add to the hull that NPCs use for navigating.
    Is it possible to have an option for achieving that again? E.g. add more option-values to zhlt_noclip keyvalue.
    I'm asking because that was very useful for blocking paths for only players, but NPCs and bullets could travel seemlessly.
    Last edited by Silencer; 09-01-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Contributor

Also, any chance you can do something about this error?

(Sprite cropped by silhouette of overthrown truck)

(Not cropped anymore)

Or is it rooted in the rendering engine?

EDIT: It still appears you have MAX_MAP_LEAVES at 8192.
    Apparantly that can safely be 32767. At least noone ever had problems with going far beyond 8192.
    Yes, MAX_MAP_LEAVES appears to be 8192. But number of leafs can get to 400%. I'm not sure if there are problems.

EDIT2: Old ZHLT had a useful bug where clip brushes in solid entities would not add to the hull that NPCs use for navigating.
    Is it possible to have an option for achieving that again? E.g. add more option-values to zhlt_noclip keyvalue.
    I'm asking because that was very useful for blocking paths for only players, but NPCs and bullets could travel seemlessly.
    For old ZHLT, CLIP brushes do not contribute to the bounding box of entity. This is probably the only difference.
    You can redefine the bounding box of an entity by adding one brush with 'BoundingBox' texture on all its faces. Be careful of bugs such as sticking players.
    Bullets are never blocked by CLIP.
    I don't know which hull is used by NPCs in svencoop, but you can try out:
    Create a brush with 'NoClip' or 'ClipHull1' or 'ClipHull2' or 'ClipHull3' texture, and see which can block certain NPC.

Also, any chance you can do something about this error?
    (Sprite cropped by silhouette of overthrown truck)
    I have no idea unless the truck is not a func_wall or the render mode of the sprite is 'glow'.

Contributor

The truck is a func_wall set to block light and the sprite is actually 2 fire sprites with different size and framerate and Additive rendermode.

Is the bounding box the same thing set by minhullsize and maxhullsize keyvalues on some entities like monster entities?

EDIT: Appears all standing monsters are blocked by cliphull1 and boundingboxes. Is the bounding box what is used to decide whether an entity is within PVS or not? If not I'd just make small bounding boxes for the entities with clip brush in question.

Anyhow I am now slightly irritated. So we have a visibility hull, 3 collision hulls, bounding boxes for solid brush entities that also block NPCs and now what is that which blocks bullets?
    Last edited by Silencer; 10-01-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Contributor

Weird: When I place the boundingbox manually, making it small and putting it in a (still visible/in world) corner of the actual clipbrush forming the entity, standing monsters can pass the clip brush of the entity, but I as a player can only pass them while crouching. If I jump or stand up within the brush, I get stuck. If the bounding box is far away, though still in sight, the clip brush won't block anything at all. Sometimes I'd also be able to walk (in standing pose) through the clipbrush on ground level, but get stuck when jumping within it.

If I do not manually place the boundingbox, the clipbrush in the entity appears to have the same behaviour as a world clip brush, blocking player and NPC likewise.

This is weird. I have one large and complex func_wall_toggle in sc_robination which blocks players regardless of whether they are standing or crouching or jumping, but not NPCs. I checked this just now. Thing I noticed and remembered from looking at the RMF is I put null brush above (in sight of) the clip brushes because otherwise they would not clip.

EDIT: Now suddenly cannot get to reproduce such a clipping type. Your tools or mine, clipeconomy on or off, cliptype precise or simple, always the same behaviour. However the special clip brush is there in sc_robination. Maybe some data structure hit a limit?
    Last edited by Silencer; 10-01-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Ultimate Monster Mapper amckern's Avatar  
    Programmer

I just got Ian (webmaster of zhlt.info) to add a link to this thread on the downloads page, when you feel that your builds are stable you might want to upload the source code, and binary's to Google code & then well change the lattes release.

Of course with 3.9 as a branch as well we may run into a merge headache to get both builds working.

You might also want to update your first post to advise of the latest download?
    SC Kicks ass!

My Maps - SC_28, SC_AVP, SC_AVP10, SC_Duno, SC_Max, Opposing Forts, SC_Massive, SC_Oni
    My Web Sites - AMMAHLS

Contributor

64-bit support isn't really nearly as interesting as all the fixes and additions vluzacn has made.
    The only difference left is 400% MAX_MAP_LEAVES and the brushmodelcopying, which he has implemented already, even if in a different way.
    Also increase arbitrary limits by a factor of, like, 4.
    Also those leafnode contents oddities which didn't happen before, but are not severe at all.

Contributor

When I want to make a group of normal lights and texlights toggleable, do I have to put style -3 on one of the lights or all of them?

Also, does -waddir scan subdirectories?

I don't get it. Why base this branch off of ZHLT when SHLT is newer?

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    I don't get it. Why base this branch off of ZHLT when SHLT is newer?
    I already said this. The only things SHLT has vluzacn's built doesn't nowadays is a x64-built and 4x leaves limit.
    x64-built is quite marginal and 4x leaves limit is basically changing one single number in the code.

Could you double-check that post, please? I cannot make any sense of it.

Contributor

Vluzacn's tools > SHLT

=> Why care about SHLT?

Vluzacn's tools > SHLT

=> Why care about SHLT?
    Both should be merged?

Contributor

There is nothing to merge. Why does noone understand this?

Programmer

ZHLT 3.4 Final & SHLT have been superseded by VHLT
    SC Kicks ass!

My Maps - SC_28, SC_AVP, SC_AVP10, SC_Duno, SC_Max, Opposing Forts, SC_Massive, SC_Oni
    My Web Sites - AMMAHLS

Contributor

As long as we all understand he didn't really ever call it "VHLT" himself, yes, amckern got it right.

Vluzacn's tools > SHLT

=> Why care about SHLT?
    That doesn't answer my question. ZHLT and SHLT are different. So why branch off of the old compiler tools when there's a newer one available (SHLT).

There is nothing to merge. Why does noone understand this?
    Is there no difference between ZHLT and SHLT?

Contributor

vluzacn started developing the tools before SHLT. He didn't have the option to start with something other than ZHLT. I don't see what you could possibly be missing in vluzacn's build that SHLT has, or what you'd want to "merge" in. SHLT merely is amckern's x64 build (which essentially equals ZHLT) with increased limits and colored output. Vluzacn's tools have hundreds of bug fixes, optimizations and feature additions. The choice is clear and there are zero regrets. Your development ethics do not apply because vluzacn's improvements are far beyond the scope of what SHLT could ever have been expected to accomplish. If you are missing anything, please list the specific feature, and maybe vluzacn will get it in.

Thanks for an answer. And no, I do not know of anything that is missing, I've only had experience with ZHLT and SHLT.

When I want to make a group of normal lights and texlights toggleable, do I have to put style -3 on one of the lights or all of them?
    You have to put style -3 on func_walls(or other entities that contains your texlight textures), and give the func_walls the same name the lights have.
    If you are using the vluzacn 23 tools, another way is to use 'light_surface' entities in order to get rid of all those func_wall, style -3, and name match stuff.
    Note: lights and also lights with name(if you are using vluzacn 20+ tools) will not cause edicts error.

Also, does -waddir scan subdirectories?
    No.
    Last edited by vluzacn; 17-01-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Programmer

Is the correct line to run hlrad?

hlrad ultra_monster -estimate -sparse -waddir C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\amckern@yahoo.com\half-life\SvenCoop

I'm also getting a whole stack of;

Warning: Mixed face contents in leafnode ( -1 and -2 ) at (845,1785,-1220)-(869,1821,-1196)
    Warning: Mixed face contents in leafnode ( -1 and -2 ) at (884,1569,-1160)-(885,1837,-1136)
    Warning: Mixed face contents in leafnode ( -1 and -2 ) at (672,1721,-1232)-(673,1849,-1160)
    Warning: Mixed face contents in leafnode ( -1 and -2 ) at (900,1553,-1164)-(901,1819,-1140)
    Warning: Mixed face contents in leafnode ( -1 and -2 ) at (656,1750,-1228)-(657,1865,-1164)
    Warning: Mixed face contents in leafnode ( -1 and -2 ) at (667,1569,-1145)-(672,1825,-1130)
    Warning: Mixed face contents in leafnode ( -1 and -2 ) at (884,1569,-1178)-(885,1837,-1154)
    Warning: Mixed face contents in leafnode ( -1 and -2 ) at (884,1585,-1229)-(885,1837,-1190)
    Warning: Mixed face contents in leafnode ( -1 and -2 ) at (1729,1638,-1384)-(1740,1674,-1344)
    Warning: Mixed face contents in leafnode ( -1 and -2 ) at (1691,1632,-1379)-(1744,1638,-1344)
    Warning: Mixed face contents in leafnode ( -1 and -2 ) at (1729,1638,-1392)-(1740,1674,-1378)
    Warning: Mixed face contents in leafnode ( -1 and -2 ) at (654,3412,-1144)-(672,3412,-1126)
    SC Kicks ass!

My Web Sites - AMMAHLS

amazing tools vluzacn, thank you for your work!

But currently I have one problem:
    if I try to copy 'model' (zhlt_usemodel) from some point entity (cycler_sprite for example) then size of new entity is 0. Thats becoming a problem when collision (blocking) with this entity is needed (func_door, func_pushable etc). Can you please make at least new entity to keep its original size in such cases?

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast