Thread: [ARCHIVE] Custom ZHLT by vluzacn

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Sven Co-op animator, beta tester, halfway decent modeler WAR_Nuker's Avatar

Re: custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn

these crashed for me. im on 32 bit. does that matter? SHLT works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WAR_Nuker View Post
    these crashed for me. im on 32 bit. does that matter? SHLT works fine for me.
    oddly crashed for me too, also on 32 bit

Contributor

@ WAR_Nuker, CryoKeen: You probably should tell him your OS and at which compile tool and step it happened.
    If you compile via batch you should be able to see what the last compiler output is.

32 bit windows xp sp3. when trying to compile, hlcsg pops up and says it encountered an error. i click "dont send" like everyone does. this same thing happens when i try to compile with hammer and with the batch compiler. when i tried the SHLT from the other thread they worked fine with my batch compiler setup.

Contributor

Weird. So it does not even get as far as emitting a single log line? What are your CSG parameters?
    And does the error occur with other tools if you only use vluzacn's hlbsp/hlvis/hlrad? Also try different parameters.
    Probably make a small test map with the most basic of things to give the compiler something to do
    but not eat away on your time unnecessarily.

Smile Re: custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn

Hi,
    Can I ask, what is the difference between ZHLT and ZHLT by vluzacn?
    Exept light smooth.
    I read at this topic it have less bugs than ZHLT, but I didnt find any bugs in ZHLT.

Is it compiling faster than ZHLT?

Is somewhere a tutorial at that new entites, that are included in fgd?

Contributor

You probably should learn about batch compiling. There is thousands of tutorials about it still online in various places. Google should help.

Also yes, it compiles slightly faster and bugs with moderate to catastrophical threat-level have been fixed.
    If you never ran into bugs with ZHLT, you probably never had very complex structures like caves and terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    You probably should learn about batch compiling. There is thousands of tutorials about it still online in various places. Google should help.

Also yes, it compiles slightly faster and bugs with moderate to catastrophical threat-level have been fixed.
    If you never ran into bugs with ZHLT, you probably never had very complex structures like caves and terrain.
    Ok,thanks
    Im making one cave right now and i still never found any bug (only one invisible triangle) , and it have horrible compiling time with full vis(more than 1hour) .
    I will try compile it with ZHLT by vluzacn.

silencer - ill investigate more when i get home

I keep hearing batch compiler is better for compiling map but no one ever said why. My question always was what's so significant about batch compiler that makes it so much better over hammer?

Very nice job on the compilers btw. Works perfectly.

Contributor

Thumbs up Re: custom version of ZHLT by vluzacn

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Ninja View Post
    I keep hearing batch compiler is better for compiling map but no one ever said why. My question always was what's so significant about batch compiler that makes it so much better over hammer?
    It allows the use of the -estimate compile parameter on all tools. Also when PCs only had CPUs with a single core, it allowed you to continue working in Hammer or do other things while the map was compiling seemlessly. (If you run the compilers in Hammer, the whole Windows worker-thread for drawing dialogs and windows is blocked, thus you wouldn't get any input reaction) Now with dual core that isn't a problem anymore, though. If you were using SHLT you would also benefit from it because of colored log output (warnings in yellow, errors in red). Vluzacn's build is better nonetheless.

Manager

I've noticed that using these compilers causes some issues with the lighting of my controlroom map, where I have a lot of toggleable lights (probably more than any mapper should ever use in HL1). When I compile with SHLT all of the lights turn off and on perfectly, but with VHLT certain light styles no longer work or turn on and off. It also looks like some faces aren't appearing as being lit while they're emitting light, among other issues. I'll see if I can put up some screenshots later tonight to show what I mean.

Manager

Alright, here are my screenshots comparing the results of the two compilers. The compile settings used are exactly the same between the compilers. For VIS I'm using -Fast. For -Rad I'm using -dscale 1 and -sparse.

For some reason, with VHLT there's a rather strange dark line going through my control room monitor. The monitor is a 1 unit thick glowing func_wall_toggle that shouldn't even be affected by lighting in the room:
    http://jpolito.zlique.org/mapping/VH...on_compare.jpg

Here is how the room looks when all of the red lights turn on during a lockdown sequence. I like how the VHLT version appears more red, but unfortunately that's about the only upside I've seen so far:

There seems to be a lot of strange dark spots on the stairs here as well:
    http://jpolito.zlique.org/mapping/VH...mpare_VHLT.jpg

More dark spots:

In this area, the red fluorescent light in the foreground is not supposed to be visible at all. It should look exactly like the SHLT screenshot with the blue light instead. Also, the red light on the wall is not lit properly:

This fence should not have turned completely black. Is there some default RAD parameter that you've changed?
    http://jpolito.zlique.org/mapping/VH...ce_compare.jpg

The orange lights are suffering from strange clipping or something:
    http://jpolito.zlique.org/mapping/VH...es_compare.jpg

The white emergency lights don't even turn on with VHLT:
    http://jpolito.zlique.org/mapping/VH...ts_compare.jpg

So, if there was some default RAD parameter that's been changed, I'd like to know what it was. That might solve all of my dark patch problems. But the strange light clipping errors are a bit of a mystery to me, and I'm not entirely sure as to why some lights don't even turn on anymore.

@ WAR_Nuker, CryoKeen: You probably should tell him your OS and at which compile tool and step it happened.
    If you compile via batch you should be able to see what the last compiler output is.

Load Textures:
    Error: Can not find wad file 'xeno.wad'.
    Please add parameter '-waddir ""'.

----- END hlrad -----
    Apparently it want's me to include the default wads that are in svencoop into my map file. I do not wish to do this only include the textures that are not included in svencoop.

May I also ask why is the compiler's source code a visual studio 6 project? even ZHLT 3.4 was a visual studio 8 project so I don't get why should you use visual studio 6.

Contributor

MSVC didn't get better. Got MSVC 2010 and the first thing it did was to crash 15 minutes into unsaved programming/thinking.

32 bit windows xp sp3. when trying to compile, hlcsg pops up and says it encountered an error. i click "dont send" like everyone does. this same thing happens when i try to compile with hammer and with the batch compiler. when i tried the SHLT from the other thread they worked fine with my batch compiler setup.
    Does it crash when you double-click hlcsg.exe?

Is it compiling faster than ZHLT?
    The hlvis is same.
    The hlrad is faster in opaque entities.

Is somewhere a tutorial at that new entites, that are included in fgd?
    Temporarily, no.

Apparently it want's me to include the default wads that are in svencoop into my map file. I do not wish to do this only include the textures that are not included in svencoop.
    You don't need to include it. You only need to provide hlrad the game folder by adding parameters(in command line or the file 'settings.txt') so hlrad can find the wad file.

May I also ask why is the compiler's source code a visual studio 6 project? even ZHLT 3.4 was a visual studio 8 project so I don't get why should you use visual studio 6.
    Because I don't have higher version. Also I will have to provide dll if I use higher version.

I've noticed that using these compilers causes some issues with the lighting of my controlroom map, where I have a lot of toggleable lights (probably more than any mapper should ever use in HL1). When I compile with SHLT all of the lights turn off and on perfectly, but with VHLT certain light styles no longer work or turn on and off. It also looks like some faces aren't appearing as being lit while they're emitting light, among other issues. I'll see if I can put up some screenshots later tonight to show what I mean.
    The black spots and strange light clippings correspond to the 'Warning: Too many light styles in face' in hlrad compile log.
    If a face receives light of more than 4 styles, some of the styles will become black.
    Add '-coring' parameter in command line or 'zhlt_stylecoring' key in light entities, to make lights of non-static styles(toggleable or with preset styles) travel shorter, thus prevent the 'Warning: Too many light styles in face' error.
    As for the difference between VHLT and SHLT, VHLT has changed default coring value from 1.0 to 0.1, and the coring value is applied in a different way where texture lights usually travel longer as a result when comparing with SHLT.

In this area, the red fluorescent light in the foreground is not supposed to be visible at all. It should look exactly like the SHLT screenshot with the blue light instead. Also, the red light on the wall is not lit properly
    VHLT has removed some default texture lights in file 'lights.rad' by default.

This fence should not have turned completely black. Is there some default RAD parameter that you've changed?
    VHLT uses texture reflectivity in light bouncing calculation.

Ultimate Monster Mapper amckern's Avatar  
    Programmer

i'm having trouble importing these projects into vs2005 - do you have foreign chars in the dsp files?
    SC Kicks ass!

My Maps - SC_28, SC_AVP, SC_Duno, SC_Max, Opposing Forts, SC_Massive, SC_Oni
    My Web Sites - AMMAHLS

Contributor

About the coring: Couldn't you compare the brightness values of the various incoming lightstyles and simply strip the darkest ones until you only have 4 lightstyles on the face/patch?

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by vluzacn View Post
    VHLT has removed some default texture lights in file 'lights.rad' by default.
    I'm not using the default lights.rad file actually. However, changing -coring to 1.0 solved the problem with the red light on the ceiling, but the light on the wall still won't light up. Other lights in the map using the same texture appear to be lit fine.

VHLT uses texture reflectivity in light bouncing calculation.
    How can this be fixed?

Also, I recompiled with -coring set to 1.0 and a lot of errors that bothered me a lot went away. However, there is still extremely harsh lighting in most of the room. If I wanted to try and get rid of the big black spots everywhere, what would be the best parameter to use?

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like changing -coring to higher values is fixing just about all of the black patches.
    Last edited by JPolito; 25-01-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPolito View Post
    How can this be fixed?
    Use brighter texture, or if you believe your texture should bounce more light, use parameter '-texreflectscale'.

About the coring: Couldn't you compare the brightness values of the various incoming lightstyles and simply strip the darkest ones until you only have 4 lightstyles on the face/patch?
    OK.

Does it crash when you double-click hlcsg.exe?
    just tried. just opens cmd prompt and closes right away. no window pops up telling me of an unexpected error.

Contributor

Something occured to me: You could also implement patch dithering when there are too many lightstyles, though no clue how that'd look.

How's it coming along with fixing the crashes and remaining unreasonable leafnode contents oddities?

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast