Thread: The Mission [Beta 1]

The Mission [Beta 1]

The basic idea for this map is as old as 2005, I started working on it during summer 2007 and now it's a great relief to finaly be able to release it to the Svencoop-community (and my friends won't nag me anymore for spending too much time on mapping ).

You are a Special Forces team that is sent to a mountainous area in the dessert to stop an illegal experiment. The mission starts inside your helicopter just before reaching the landing zone. I did much work on the terrain as this was supposed to be mainly an outdoor map. It took 26 hours(!) to compile so I hope there are no obvious bugs. There shouldn't be as I've tested it several times.

Story:

A separatist group of the military has been discovered experimenting with some kind of interdimensional portal in the mountains. Since we don't want a new Black Mesa accident your team has been assigned with the task to destroy the portal. Be prepared to encounter both human and alien resistance. You'll be inserted by chopper at 10:00 PM.

You need to be at least 2 players to complete due to one of the puzzles. Have fun and please tell me what's nice and what can be improved.

>>> Download <<<

HINT! To continue into the fort after the bridge you need to toss a grenade into that window above the gate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scr1.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	538.8 KB 
ID:	14167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scr2.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	430.1 KB 
ID:	14168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scr3.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	590.1 KB 
ID:	14169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scr7.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	580.7 KB 
ID:	14170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kopia av scr9.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	445.2 KB 
ID:	14171  

Last edited by Arvid; 08-11-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Tester

Thumbs up Re: The Mission [Beta 1]

I played through the map with a friend and we liked the map so far.

I would suggest you to "NULL" the top faces of the cliffs in the first section, atleast all those which can't be seen by the players from down below.

We had no bugs when we played but it took us a while to figure out how to enter the base after the tank.

2 things we disliked were:

1. The tank doesn't seem to get hit well by explosives. I don't know how many grenades and satchels we wasted on it before it blew up. This error seems to follow every mapper who decides to place a tank into the map. Probably the func_breakable is too small or something.

2. The long distance between the spawn point and the place where the action is. In the beginning its ok but as soon as you enter the base you have to crawl through the vent every time. Maybe make a new spawn point inside the base.

(If there is a shortcut we just did not find then ignore this )

Overall a nice map with only minor problems.
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,
    and told to take no Prisoners.
    Visit http://www.youtube.com/NostalgicGames

Re: The Mission [Beta 1]

1. I noticed this myself. Because the func_breakable only covers the rotating turret (the only part that blows up) it's difficult to get good effect from explosives unless you drop them right on top of the tank or along the long sides. I could expand the func_breakable a bit in the next version so that nades thrown under the tank will damage it as well.

2. No there are no other shortcuts beside the blue teleporter in the largest storage room, which I hope worked for you so you didn't had too go through the fan-stopping-puzzle each time to get underground!

My idea with some running distance at the bunker-part was to make the players act more cautious. If it's too easy to get into the fight again after a death players will be less eager to fight tacticaly (take cover, heal each other, load up HEV-suit). You were only two, I think a larger group of players will decrease the amount of deaths significantly. Though another spawnpoint inside the base is a possible option. I'll have that in mind!

Another error I know about is the mounted gun in the sandbag-bunker which is working but not used by the grunts. It worked with SC 3.5 so I think this is related to the game, not my map. I'm trying to find a solution to make the grunts use it.

Tester

Lightbulb Re: The Mission [Beta 1]

The teleporter was working fine so we didn't had to go through the vents again.

Yeah the SAW turret...you sure it works? If I shoot that thing it makes a sound but no bullets come out of it. Wanted to say that but forgot about it ^^

And about encouraging cautiousness, you have a point there. Just try it with another spawn point and see how it plays then, maybe you could add some more challenge on the "return to heli" part.

For example there is a gate on the start to the right. Maybe it can open and some enemies Try to stop you.

Or a blackop apache flies around when you come out of the base (if thats possible in the outside area)

Or let the gates close where the guard in booth area is so the players have to go through the cave area again (ofcourse the crates that block the way should be removed at that point) and then inside female assassins are running around.

Theoretically you can combine that all together
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,

Contributor

i like what i see. will put this on snarkcafe later

Contributor

reminds me lot of assaultmesa, from screens

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.JC View Post
    For example there is a gate on the start to the right. Maybe it can open and some enemies Try to stop you.

Or a blackop apache flies around when you come out of the base (if thats possible in the outside area)

Or let the gates close where the guard in booth area is so the players have to go through the cave area again (ofcourse the crates that block the way should be removed at that point) and then inside female assassins are running around.

Theoretically you can combine that all together
    I like your ideas on how to evolve the "return to heli" part. I think I'll go for reusing the cave and adding more enemies.

An apache as a final boss in the map could be fun but it feels like a cliché as this is a reoccuring element in many maps. It wouldn't fit either I think unless I modify the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by cold_blood3d_killa View Post
    i like what i see. will put this on snarkcafe later
    That would be great, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    Assaultmesa and "Surface Extension" from original HL was my main inspiration for this map. I thought SC needed more maps with that kind of scenery.

Contributor

very traditional map, but things that bugged me alot in the gameplay session i actually took was the very limited new spawnpoints. most of the time i had to run through like half of the map along with the fan puzzle and later areas, sometimes not even noticing theres some sort of shortcut so it was annoying. also the ending where i expected GET TO THE CHOPPAA and some fun flying sequence but all i got is fade, uhh

in the place where there is a bridge and that sewage drain area, theres a ladder but i was just available to slide down through the rock and not losing any health lolll. also there was some invalid solid structure leak in it. but 3-5 years of development, thats one hell of dedication to the map, i wish i could renew some old maps but new just eats old everytime

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Arvid View Post
    An apache as a final boss in the map could be fun but it feels like a cliché as this is a reoccuring element in many maps. It wouldn't fit either I think unless I modify the sky.
    Hehehe I know what you mean

Problem is just that halflife never had any great bosses to fight and although svencoop has some new enemies like baby garg or Tor they are on the alien side. Marines/Blackops only have their helicopters.
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,

very traditional map, but things that bugged me alot in the gameplay session i actually took was the very limited new spawnpoints. most of the time i had to run through like half of the map along with the fan puzzle and later areas, sometimes not even noticing theres some sort of shortcut so it was annoying. also the ending where i expected GET TO THE CHOPPAA and some fun flying sequence but all i got is fade, uhh

in the place where there is a bridge and that sewage drain area, theres a ladder but i was just available to slide down through the rock and not losing any health lolll. also there was some invalid solid structure leak in it. but 3-5 years of development, thats one hell of dedication to the map, i wish i could renew some old maps but new just eats old everytime
    Thanks for your criticism. Another spawnpoint just inside the bunker may be added in the next version to shorten the running distance. Also if it's hard to notice the teleporter-shortcut I could add a text-line telling the players that a shortcut has been opened.

A flying sequence was something I thought about myself during development.

Yes, you can slide down on the rocks at the bridge but the ladder is also there for the possibility to climb up again if you forget to open the drain hatch. The invalid solid structure-thing under the bridge is not actually an error. It looks OK in hammer (no errors found) but somehow it got messed up during compilation I believe. I'll do something to fix this.

And yeah, 3 years is a long time for developing a map but most of the work was done during the first and last months of that period.

To sum up the ideas for next version:

-Null-texturing textures not visible for the player and optimizing overall performance.
    -Make it easier to destroy the tank (larger func_breakable).
    -Drop damage per bullet on tank as it's annoyingly powerfull now.
    -A third spawnpoint inside the bunker.
    -An easier way to open the bunkers front gate, or some kind of clue of how to do it as people seem to get stuck here.
    -Tell the players that the teleportal is open.
    -A clue how to destroy the big portal. Same problem here, people don't know what to do.
    -Add more enemies to the returning-part
    -A camera-clip where the heli takes off in the end.
    -Fix the messed up cliff-brush at the bridge.
    -Make grunts use the mounted gun (still don't know how to do it).

Tester

Sounds good. I'm waiting for the next version.

Also, don't know why the grunt don't use the gun, normally if the gun can be used by the player the NPC's can too that is how the AI works in svencoop.

Maybe the func_tankcontrol is not big enough?
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,

Contributor

Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

Looks pretty good, i might even try it. Reminds me this mission, where you crawl trough pile, then jump down into water and the surface has loads of sentry turrets. And then there is a huge bridge over the water, very tall too. You climb up and you got like 35 grunts up there to kill you :P There are loads of snarks before you enter the pipe that leads to water and there is a truck at the beginning behind a fence. The bridge part is so familiar at least for some reasons. There is probably very little similarities in real world, but the screens kind a brought that map out of my memory for some reasons :P
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Manager

Just played the map. Thoughts: Straightforward but well done gameplay. Nice work on the outdoor terrain, I know how much time that can take to create. The inside areas look kinda bland though. The map could also really use some ambient sounds.

With only 2 players you are bound to die a lot, which is a little frustrating. Placing some more batteries and health kits here and there would make it easier for smaller groups without unbalancing it for larger servers.

We had to give up after destroying the tank as we couldn't figure out where to go. There needs to be way more explosives around to destroy that tank by the way.

Manager

Just played this with Nih (above). As he's already said, the map could use some ambient sounds. It's rather quiet everywhere for a mostly outdoor map. We had absolutely no clue where to go after we got to the tank. Up to that point, the map looked pretty nice. Good work with the landscape brushwork. That's something I've never been able to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by JPolito View Post
    Just played this with Nih (above). As he's already said, the map could use some ambient sounds. It's rather quiet everywhere for a mostly outdoor map. We had absolutely no clue where to go after we got to the tank. Up to that point, the map looked pretty nice. Good work with the landscape brushwork. That's something I've never been able to get right.
    Thanks for commenting. I'm glad people are still playing this map after all the effort I put into it.

Here's the secret. You are supposed to throw a grenade into that little window above the locked gate in the fort, it will "destroy the computer controlling the lock" and eventually open the gate for you.

I know I made this part unnecessarily hard, I thought people would be able to figure it out by themselves but I have experienced it's not that easy without any clues.

Yeah, maybe I could have used more ambient sounds but think about it as a night/evening map, it's an operation during the quiet time of the day.
    Last edited by Arvid; 08-11-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Manager

Crickets or random wind sounds would enhance the "quiet evening time" ambience

Heh, maybe. If I ever take up mapping again and start working on a 2nd version I'll have that in mind.

Very nice little map! Always a success when I host it, even if the tank can get funky sometimes.. (funcy..? func_tank? no? oh well)

I hope you don't mind, I removed the really jarring forced-respawn which occurs when completing the final portal room fight - I made the teleporters reverse (with some sounds now) so that the game flow is much more natural. I uploaded it to the SCMapDB page; your original is still there and clearly labelled so ppl have a choice..

Good job! Please consider making the next part, it's just waiting for you to finish it!
    Last edited by BlueSpark; 09-11-2015 at 06:18 AM.

Thank you for your feedback BlueSpark. Actually you have encouraged me to start mapping again. After almost 6 years I have decided to make that next version of this map and also make a sequel.

I saw your edited version on ScmapDB, although I like your ideas for my map, there's a risk of compability problems if different versions of the same map with the same BSP-name is circulating. I also would have appreciated you to ask for permission before sharing an edited version of my map. But you are forgiven as I don't think I would have considered taking up mapping again this if I hadn't read your comments here and on ScmapDB.

Anyway, the force-respawn inside the warehouse has more purpose than just getting the players back to surface level. It's supposed to make sure everyone is inside the building for the escape and final battle with the blackops arriving from outside. I think I will solve the need for this by adding a new regular spawnpoint inside the warehouse which eliminates the need to force players to get inside. I'll probably use your idea concerning teleportering people back from the portal area deep down.

I reinstalled Hammer yesterday and are doing my best to refresh my mapping knowledge since I haven't mapped for a very long time. Keep an eye on the "work in progress" forum for future updates about the next part. I hope I'll be able to post some updates soon.

Good job then! Good to hear you're back into mapping, if you do make a sequel please be sure to post it up on SCMapDB because I quit the forums and it's only by chance I'm back and saw your post.I won't be here but I'll keep an eye out for your maps on SCMapDB.

PS I did try to get hold of you, and did ask around, but with no success - I just assumed that like so many other mappers, you had gone. If you would like me to remove my edited version, pls comment on the map's page and I will do so.