Thread: Rotate Complex Objects

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    U.S. West
    Posts
    1,599

    Rotate Complex Objects

    Does anyone know of a good way to rotate complex objects without causing loads of "invalid solid structure" errors? I was thinking I could do it with a set_origin or func_rotating but that might get complicated.
    Love,
    w00tguy

  2. #2
    :D cold_blood3d_killa's Avatar  
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    482

    Re: Rotate Complex Objects

    if its reallyyy messy, a func_door_rotating set to a certain degree opening would work.

  3. #3
    func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    U.S. West
    Posts
    1,599

    Re: Rotate Complex Objects

    The thing I'm rotating is already an entity though. It's a func_rotating sitting on top of a func_button.
    Love,
    w00tguy

  4. #4
    Mapper or something ozku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Varkaus, Finland
    Posts
    524

    Re: Rotate Complex Objects

    This is just an quick idea but have you tried splitting the the target to seperate entities with same properties?

  5. #5
    Banned CryoKeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,455

    Re: Rotate Complex Objects

    The most surgical way to do it is by doing values. Ctrl-M to open the Transform menu, or transform, and make sure you have the object selected first, and alter things there. 90 Degrees is usually safe, if you do 45 you can get away with like carving the side of an object then rotating it back with a negative value (-45) and sometimes get away with that. Some more details on the object in question could help us help you probably a bit more.

  6. #6
    QPU-aligned Silencer's Avatar  
    Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,082

    Re: Rotate Complex Objects

    If you are having a func_rotating, you can just type in the angles.
    Of course that affects your rotation axis accordingly, though.

  7. #7
    func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    U.S. West
    Posts
    1,599

    Re: Rotate Complex Objects

    Quote Originally Posted by ozku View Post
    This is just an quick idea but have you tried splitting the the target to seperate entities with same properties?
    Not sure what you're trying to suggest here. The entities I'm rotating in the editor are two separate types of ents.

    Quote Originally Posted by CryoKeen View Post
    The most surgical way to do it is by doing values. Ctrl-M to open the Transform menu, or transform, and make sure you have the object selected first, and alter things there. 90 Degrees is usually safe, if you do 45 you can get away with like carving the side of an object then rotating it back with a negative value (-45) and sometimes get away with that. Some more details on the object in question could help us help you probably a bit more.
    Yea, this method is where the errors are coming from. I can't even rotate it 45 degrees this way because it's so fragile.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    If you are having a func_rotating, you can just type in the angles.
    Of course that affects your rotation axis accordingly, though.
    This was the magical answer I was looking for! In this case it's the perfect solution because my button can easily be turned into a func_rot_button (with rot = 0) so that it can rotate with the func_rotating. the rotation axis being changed is what I wanted, too.

    However, what if I wanted to rotate a func_breakable? Is this where I would have to start using set_origin? I tried attaching an origin brush to my button before but that didn't work.
    Love,
    w00tguy

  8. #8
    QPU-aligned Silencer's Avatar  
    Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,082

    Re: Rotate Complex Objects

    Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    However, what if I wanted to rotate a func_breakable? Is this where I would have to start using set_origin?
    Yes. Trigger_setorigin is all good for simply copying over the origin. Any advanced features like origin offset difference and rotation offset diference and copying over specific angles only are messed up and should not be used just yet.

    Remember that brush entities without an origin brush have their origin at (0, 0, 0).

  9. #9
    func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    U.S. West
    Posts
    1,599

    Re: Rotate Complex Objects

    Okey dokey then. Now that I think about it using a set_origin for rotating ents really isn't that complicated anyway. If I just copy the angles and set it once then it's good to go. Since some of them are at the same angle I can even reuse some of the info_nulls/info_targets/whatever it is I'm using for the angles.

    Thanks y'all.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •