Thread: Rotate Complex Objects

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Rotate Complex Objects

Does anyone know of a good way to rotate complex objects without causing loads of "invalid solid structure" errors? I was thinking I could do it with a set_origin or func_rotating but that might get complicated.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Contributor

Re: Rotate Complex Objects

if its reallyyy messy, a func_door_rotating set to a certain degree opening would work.

The thing I'm rotating is already an entity though. It's a func_rotating sitting on top of a func_button.
    Love,
    w00tguy

This is just an quick idea but have you tried splitting the the target to seperate entities with same properties?

The most surgical way to do it is by doing values. Ctrl-M to open the Transform menu, or transform, and make sure you have the object selected first, and alter things there. 90 Degrees is usually safe, if you do 45 you can get away with like carving the side of an object then rotating it back with a negative value (-45) and sometimes get away with that. Some more details on the object in question could help us help you probably a bit more.

Contributor

If you are having a func_rotating, you can just type in the angles.
    Of course that affects your rotation axis accordingly, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ozku View Post
    This is just an quick idea but have you tried splitting the the target to seperate entities with same properties?
    Not sure what you're trying to suggest here. The entities I'm rotating in the editor are two separate types of ents.

Quote Originally Posted by CryoKeen View Post
    The most surgical way to do it is by doing values. Ctrl-M to open the Transform menu, or transform, and make sure you have the object selected first, and alter things there. 90 Degrees is usually safe, if you do 45 you can get away with like carving the side of an object then rotating it back with a negative value (-45) and sometimes get away with that. Some more details on the object in question could help us help you probably a bit more.
    Yea, this method is where the errors are coming from. I can't even rotate it 45 degrees this way because it's so fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    If you are having a func_rotating, you can just type in the angles.
    Of course that affects your rotation axis accordingly, though.
    This was the magical answer I was looking for! In this case it's the perfect solution because my button can easily be turned into a func_rot_button (with rot = 0) so that it can rotate with the func_rotating. the rotation axis being changed is what I wanted, too.

However, what if I wanted to rotate a func_breakable? Is this where I would have to start using set_origin? I tried attaching an origin brush to my button before but that didn't work.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    However, what if I wanted to rotate a func_breakable? Is this where I would have to start using set_origin?
    Yes. Trigger_setorigin is all good for simply copying over the origin. Any advanced features like origin offset difference and rotation offset diference and copying over specific angles only are messed up and should not be used just yet.

Remember that brush entities without an origin brush have their origin at (0, 0, 0).

Okey dokey then. Now that I think about it using a set_origin for rotating ents really isn't that complicated anyway. If I just copy the angles and set it once then it's good to go. Since some of them are at the same angle I can even reuse some of the info_nulls/info_targets/whatever it is I'm using for the angles.

Thanks y'all.
    Love,
    w00tguy