Thread: Sven Co-op 4.5 Release Countdown 3

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Manager

Post Sven Co-op 4.5 Release Countdown 3

We're currently testing a pretty promising release candidate... In the meantime, here are details of some of the sound-related changes coming in version 4.5.

Major sound changes of interest to all users:

• All known sound-related crashes have been fixed.
    • Steam issues causing auto_soundlist.txt to be downloaded repeatedly have been remedied.
    • The sound engine is now much more error-tolerant than in Half-Life.
    • Ambient sounds are now automatically refreshed for new players joining the game.
    • Added distinct footstep sounds for walking on Wood and Flesh materials, and added a new 'Snow' material type.
    • Changed priority levels for game music / player weapon sound effects to keep them from cutting out.
    • Fixed most cases of turrets' sounds not working correctly.
    • Fixed fan sounds' pitch not ramping up during func_rotating's spinup sequence.
    • Improved sound engine compatibility with some sound cards.
    • The in-game media player now supports all of the following sound types (including tracker formats) :
      • AIFF, ASF, DLS, FLAC, IT, M3U, MID, MOD, MP2, MP3, OGG, S3M, VAG, WAV, WMA, XM
    Speaking of which, a new Playlist Editor has also been created for 4.5 (by AdamR). In addition to supporting the above formats, it can check for missing files, import playlist files from other programs, etc. Try it out right now if you'd like, and prepare a playlist in advance of the release:

DOWNLOAD SC PLAYLIST EDITOR

Just place PlaylistEditor.exe in your \SvenCoop\ folder before loading it. To use your existing SC playlist (mp3.txt), rename it to playlist.txt or use the program's 'File > Import' option to import it. Report any issues in this thread.

Sound changes primarily of interest to mappers:

(but which will allow for more aurally appealing maps in future)
    • The following sound formats are now fully supported for use in maps:
      • AIFF, ASF, DLS, FLAC, IT, M3U, MID, MOD, MP2, MP3, OGG, S3M, VAG, WAV, WMA, XM
    • Non-WAV sounds (excluding some tracker formats) no longer loop by default. This means they can easily be used as weapon sounds, monster sounds, etc.
      • (A legacy hack prevents this from adversely affecting existing maps)
    • Added a way for mappers to set material types (vent, dirt, grate, metal, slosh, tile, wood, computer, glass, flesh, or snow) for custom textures. Affects footstep sounds, impact sounds etc.
    • Ambient_generics can force sounds to 'Loop' or 'Play Once' with a simple setting.
    • You can also force a sound to loop by adding "_loop" to the end of its filename, e.g. "mysound_loop.mp3". Useful for monster sounds etc.
      • Looping WAVs can be forced to play once by adding "_once" to their filenames.
    • Optional 'Linear Rolloff' options have been added to ambient_generics, allowing specific Minimum Radius and End Radius values to be defined.
      • These give mappers fairly precise control over sound radii. Sounds play at maximum volume within the specified Min Radius and can't be heard at all from outside the End Radius. Especially useful for music.
    • The global sound-replacement file (globalsoundlist) can be set in map CFGs, now, as an alternative to worldspawn.
    Some of the recently completed features missed from the last news post were posted on our Steam Community Group a few days ago, by the way, including such things as "Fixed Sniper Rifle Autozoom". While you're waiting, why not sign up for timely updates? Also, have I mentioned The Legend of Princess?

Re: Sven Co-op 4.5 Release Countdown 3

Nice I before 5 minutes comming from work and what did I see :-D new infos about update

yeheww

Quote Originally Posted by Sven Viking View Post
    Also, have I mentioned The Legend of Princess?
    I love a good Sven Co-op update as much as everyone else, but... THIS GAME IS BRILLIANT!!!!

Contributor

(A legacy hack prevents this from adversely affecting existing maps)
    so theres no worry of music not working properly in special maps

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    so theres no worry of music not working properly in special maps
    Yes. Maps will work the same as they used to unless you compiled them after the hack was put in place.

Contributor

I hope this works for my sound related issue, can't wait

so are there mirrors? I remember there being a post about mirrors at one point...

Around 20:00 CET (Prague, Budapest, Bratislava, Warsawa) Sven add download links

Sven, don't forget to mention that the Playlist Editor needs .NET framework to run

Will there be a way for mappers to add certain effects to sounds? ie. being able to fade in and out an audio being played, or transition between audio clips smoothly, be able to sequence together multiple audio clips into what the game would consider "one audio clip" as a loop/play-once, and be able to have certain music/playlists play depending on the intensity of an area (ie. relax/idle, hairy/suspicious, aggressive/battle -- if you are fighting a bunch of enemies, mapper selected audio could play for that moment until the moment is gone), and whether sounds played are purely client-side or broadcasted to all players (that way one player could be in a battle and would be hearing related-intense-music, while another player could be wandering into enemyless places and hearing normal/disengaged music; vs if one player is in battle and hears said-music, everyone hears it).

EDIT: Also, will NPCs die as soon as they should if a mapper has them run to specific targets/scripted sequences? It would be really good if they could die (when they should) when going from point-to-point, because then this would allow me to put together a revolutionary tower defense map (not quite the same as that one map that was released a couple years ago).

Contributor

goddamn you need to play or map more. most of that stuff has been around since 4.0, if not from 3.0 already

<-- 3.0rdth & 2.1ndst & 1.9stnth generation

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    EDIT: Also, will NPCs die as soon as they should if a mapper has them run to specific targets/scripted sequences? It would be really good if they could die (when they should) when going from point-to-point, because then this would allow me to put together a revolutionary tower defense map (not quite the same as that one map that was released a couple years ago).
    This will be in a following release. You'll have full control over NPCs to direct them to locations based on conditions and triggers.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    <-- 3.0rdth & 2.1ndst & 1.9stnth generation
    well i bet you just tried 4.0 once and quit there for 2 years. or you never even played 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    well i bet you just tried 4.0 once and quit there for 2 years. or you never even played 4.0
    I tried either v4.02 or v4.03 for only a few hours. Why? Because I have no one to play Sven Co-op with over LAN. I don't have the internet connection for online gaming. For the past 2 years I have been on satellite (1500ms+), and about 5 years on dialup previous to that, and about 1 year on 3mbit cable previous to that, and about 1 or 2 years on T1 before that, and probably around 1-3 years of cable previous to that, and dialup previous to that.

Contributor

man 3mbit cable, i had 1mb so many years and didnt have any problems playing online. probly half of that too. so which connection are you now?

Satellite..

For the past 2 years I have been on satellite (1500ms+)

Contributor

try some online game, i want to know hows the ping

about the sounds supported in maps, as i know, the .VAG file is a playstation game soundfile. oh boy i want to see when someone uses .vag file in theyre maps, thatll mean playstation music straight from games

Manager

"1500ms+" is the ping. I've been on satellite once before... really not suitable for games .
    Sven Viking

Contributor

sounds baaad

Dialup (between 200-300ms) is barely ok to play Sven Co-op 3.0. Anything less than 200ms is what I would put the minimum requirements for latency.

Ultimate Monster Mapper amckern's Avatar  
    Programmer

ah well - get wireless that way you will play with spikes as well.

ffs - wasted post 1000 on a troll.
    SC Kicks ass!

My Maps - SC_28, SC_AVP, SC_AVP10, SC_Duno, SC_Max, Opposing Forts, SC_Massive, SC_Oni
    My Web Sites - AMMAHLS

Quote Originally Posted by amckern View Post
    ah well - get wireless that way you will play with spikes as well.
    Forgot to mention: even worse, there's virtually no cell signal where I live. Wireless would have a worse latency and throughput than dialup (I have tried it).
    ffs - wasted post 1000 on a troll.
    WHAT? :[ You 50 year old man!

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

If you have a cell phone then you can hook your computer up to it and use it as a modem, with few modifications to the phone's programming (you would need a good data plan, though), that is. I get around 150-300 ms with it but SC is playable.

Anyway, I appreciate these changelogs you guys wrote. I love reading these things and being able to appreciate them when I play.

Edit: Ah, forget the cell phone thing, you have no signal ^
    Love,
    w00tguy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast