Thread: RJ's Ultimate Resource Generator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RJ's Ultimate Resource Generator

Please see the "File Page" below for more details on requirements, usage, etcetera.

Author: RJ8722
    File Page: RJ's Resource Generator
    Filesize: Less than 100 KB

Requirements: Windows XP or later, .NET 2.0 Framework, Half-Life

Functionality:
    Generates proper and decent resource files for Half-Life and modifications. Comes with a pregenerated profile for Sven Co-op and Half-Life. Unlike the currently known RESGen, RJ's home-made version is very easy to use by almost anyone.

Download v1.1:
    RJ's Coding Realm, *Download ZIP*
    Goanna Sven Co-op, *Download ZIP*
    Epic Size, *Download ZIP*
    BlueToast, *Download ZIP*

Download Sven Co-op v4.07 GDF:
    http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showt...hp?p=452764#27 (Thanks hrothunder!)

Download v1.1 Source:
    RJ's Coding Realm, *Download Tar.GZ*
    Edman747, *Download RAR*
    Epic Size, *Download RAR*
    Epic Size, *Download Tar.GZ*
    BlueToast, *Download RAR*
    BlueToast, *Download Tar.GZ*

Download v1.0:
    RJ's Coding Realm, *Download ZIP*
    Epic Size, *Download ZIP*
    HLRSE.Net, *Download ZIP*
    Last edited by Qwerty; 17-07-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Re: RJ's Ultimate Resource Generator

Could this be moved to the "Sven Co-op Mapping" forum and pinned there?

Got an error. Maybe its because I am doing too many maps at one time? I have 65 selected.

Error log: http://www.peany.net/files/error_log.txt

Image:

EDIT: Even does it when I select one map in the list.
    Last edited by CPeanutG; 10-11-2007 at 09:46 PM.

Try reinstalling each of the following in chronological order; perhaps it may solve your problem. I'll be sure to let RJ know about this bug.

Microsoft .NET 1.1 Framework:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework:

Microsoft .NET 3.0 Framework:
    Offline Installer: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70848

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty
    Try reinstalling each of the following in chronological order; perhaps it may solve your problem. I'll be sure to let RJ know about this bug.
    Pretty sure I had 1.1 and 2.0. Reinstalled them anyway. Also did 3.0. Still get the error. Restarted after each also.

EDIT: It works when I have no GDFs. Also works when I have -just- half-life.gdf. It gives me that error when I use my own GDF, when I use half-life.gdf and svencoop.gdf (like it shows in your screenshot), and when I use just svencoop.gdf.
    Last edited by CPeanutG; 12-11-2007 at 07:20 PM.

I kind of figured the OutOfMemoryException was being thrown during the loading of GDF files because you said it occured even when you only selected one map so that was a big tip to me there.

Is there any chance you could send me the GDFs you created so I can look at them? I meant to write proper documentation on using the GDF Generator but haven't gotten around to it.

It gives me that error when I use the svencoop.gdf thats in the first post also.

EDIT: Just checked again, I only added two lines to the gdf in the above links. Original GDF is on bottom. Thought it wouldn't make a difference :/

Last edited by CPeanutG; 12-11-2007 at 10:02 PM.

Well that solved it all. A .gdf file is a Binary file first of all. You cannot edit it simply with Notepad because notepad deals with ASCII files, not Binary, so you need a Hex Editor. And I can see why you tripped the OutOfMemoryException error too.

About your 2 lines, maps/%MAPNAME%.res is unneeded as the program will add the res file itself to the list automatically. And I went ahead and modified the GDF file to include the other line for you (Download link).

The thing about the file format I created is.. the first 8 bytes is the file identifier (GDFv0001), then the next 4 bytes is a 32-bit integer that specifies the length of the special rules text so the program knows how many bytes to read next. Since you only tried to add lines and not change this value, the program wasn't able to read the file properly causing it to do weird stuff. So I had to modify that value after inserting the line for you to reflect the increased size. So if I did the math right, that file should work fine for you with the changes you want. And I do have another version around the corner coming (which will make some things nicer I hope). I guess I could make a GDF Editor which would only take 2 seconds.. i don't know. I'll put it on my list of things to do.

Ah, that explains it, Binary. Should have guessed. Just too used to dealing with ascii in everything in HL and its plugins and mods (config files, inis, source code, etc etc.).

Thanks.

Also I find that it seems to ignore the world models for weapons (the v_ and w_) put it gets the p_'s. Here is at least one .bsp where it doesn't get the v_'s and w_'s. I also imagine it would be almost impossible for it to get the enemy sounds. RESGen didn't even get those.

http://svendownload.peany.net/maps/1afterforest_DC.bsp

Well the 2 situations you described are indeed somewhat bugs. But they are specific to a mod only. But I have a solution to that that I'm working on right now and will try to get it out as soon as possible.

But it's just so annoying that I think I'm almost done with v1.1 and stuff just keeps in creeping in at the last minute. Oh well, glad I didn't release it before you found those 2 errors. I also appreciate the feedback and all that.. b/c well you're the only one so far that has reported things to me. Keep up the good work on bug hunting... b/c I can never test for things that other people will run into. Just too many factors.

Well thank you for a useful tool. Having it include the .txts and .res's and .cfgs in the map's .res file helps a lot. Also love the fact it adds the T models.

Keep up the good work.

SWEET! Worked great, no problems what-so-ever. Made good RES files for 9 maps at once. Excellent work, I will put this on my site for download. Only down side; it was a bit confusing at first. Once I figured it out I was very impressed!

Edit: Still doesn't pick up any numbered/sub models; zombie01, zombie02, ect...
    Last edited by goanna; 17-11-2007 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goanna
    Edit: Still doesn't pick up any numbered/sub models; zombie01, zombie02, ect...
    Odd.. it should. But I totally re-wrote the code for the parsing, although if someone wants to send me the technical details on the .MDL file format so I can write a proper parser of the model file (b/c right now .. it's a hack.. it just checks for file existent). And I can happily say that the Sound Replacement stuff can be detected now w/o affecting other HL mods that this tool can be used for.

My bad I had models in the res that weren't in the map, seems the second res I generated had the right models.
    Last edited by goanna; 19-11-2007 at 08:04 AM.

Version 1.1 has been released. Download it from http://www.rjscodingrealm.com/resgen.php

A lot of major improvements went into this one. Hopefully it works better for everyone. For SvenCoop, you need to go into the Extra Settings and where it says Script for Extra Parsing... click Browse and open svencoop.cs so that it can potentially pick up sound files used by the sound replacement feature of svencoop... I couldn't find a map to test it on so I don't know how well it works but I would like feedback on it.

With v1.2 (I know there's still gotta be bugs in 1.1), I hope to have ironed out all the bugs and the release of 1.2 will also see the release of the source code for 1.2 so you can see all the fun stuff that went into it.

First post and mirrors updated.

v1.2 will also have a completed and formal documentation of the tool in a *.CHM file.

AWESOME job!! Picked up everything this time. Didn't get the PeeWee's for my weapons before but DID this time. Even got a few things I missed myself before.

Mirror:
    http://goannasvencoop.com/programs/rjresgen_v11.zip
    Last edited by goanna; 20-11-2007 at 04:47 AM.

Is it just me or is the new version not picking up skys?

It's not, but I have never included gfx/env files in my RES files. It's not necessary to list them in a RES, they're much like default .wavs they're automatically located in the GCF.

t's not necessary to list them in a RES, they're much like default .wavs they're automatically located in the GCF.
    What about custom gfx/env files?

I believe they're defined during the compile process through map properties. I have yet to see anyone download anything from the gfx/env folder when joining my server through my downloadurl. Not positive about this though. Mearly observation.

Been a while since this thread has had a reply but I got some news.

After a long while of thinking what I was going to do with this little program, I have finally decided to release the source code under the GPLv3 license so that others may modify it to however he/she desires. It is posted on the website but I'm going to drop the link to the download at the bottom of this post so you don't have to go to my site to find it.

It is written in C# with .NET 2.0. I don't know how well the solution file will translate to the Express edition because I made this in Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition (it was given to me for free from Microsoft so yeah... why use Express at that point?). If anyone tries to open this solution in VS 2005 Express, I would be curious to know if it works or not.

And I hope that the fact the file is a .tar.gz won't be too much of a hassle to open. I tried uploading it as a .zip but I get denied because the AV on my webhost thinks it has found a virus named Oversized.Zip in it so I'm going to complain about that later.

Enjoy
    http://www.rjscodingrealm.com/files/hldsmanager.tar.gz

Linux development & test edman747's Avatar  
    Programmer

Thumbs up Re: RJ's Ultimate Resource Generator

Quote Originally Posted by RJ8722
    And I hope that the fact the file is a .tar.gz won't be too much of a hassle to open. I tried uploading it as a .zip but I get denied because the AV on my webhost thinks it has found a virus named Oversized.Zip in it so I'm going to complain about that later.
    RJ, if this will help anyone I converted your 930kb tarball into an 830kb rar file using winrar. And mirrored it here. http://edman747.hlrse.net/svencoop/maps/hldsmanager.rar
    . What are you looking at?

First post updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast