Thread: Jumpers

Manager

Jumpers

Since posting your official map in the map showcase for feedback seems to have become popular, I figured I'd do it too.

Jumpers is a new map included in 4.5. It's basically a prototypical VIP-map. It takes place in a large arena-like layout, and the goal is for a specific player - the Main Jumper - to jump around the map, landing on specific spots to score points. The other players, the Jumpers, must ensure the Main Jumper stays alive.

I'd like to hear what people think about the map. I'm planning on expanding on the concept in a future map, so maybe there are lessons to be learned.

Check Model Showcase Thread! Recaldy's Avatar

Re: Jumpers

I'm only heard negative feedback about this map. Specificly ppl only using it to camp and gain exp. /shrug

Contributor

XPMOD has become the mapper's thorn in the eye. I definitely like the idea behind this map, but it is difficult to always be near the jumper, especially with an organized team. I believe this map should have been smaller. As it is now, certain enemies do not concern the jumper much, as they are too far away to do him harm.

Contributor

i thought it was fun, especially when theres alteast one guy constantly healing you

Just ignore XPMOD. Only losers have that mod installed on their server.

If someone complains or critiques, make sure and find out whether or not that user is an XPMOD user.

Very much liked this when I got the hang of it.

In my opinion it could even be bigger, because with a very good jumper the game started to feel repetitious. Probably r-speeds didn't let you expand it, but maybe there could have been more of those "bonus" blue boxes with random things happening from them. Perhaps even something bad for the players...

Most frustrating are the other players who have no clue how to play this map, who don't bother to read the motd and who want to vote for something else right at the beginning. Guess some sort of forced instructions would have been good for them, but then again after awhile players would have gotten frustrated with them instead.

So very nice map, love the idea. Some fancy textures would have fitted perhaps. Maybe something more special than the glow for the jumper as well... Like a freaky model attached to him with setorigin or a forced playermodel or something.

has a Portal Gun instead of fire breath CyborgDragon's Avatar

Sadly I haven't gotten the chance to really play your map. Either there were too few people, or people would vote off it because they didn't read the motd or didn't want to play a minigame. It seems like a novel idea, and it has some nice architecture.

Sven Co-op animator, beta tester, halfway decent modeler WAR_Nuker's Avatar

i feel the negative feedback is caused by the majority of players simply being unwilling to try a new concept or game mode in sven coop. 95% of maps are walkthrough i feel like. kind of discouraging...

more wpoly = more fun Tuesday's Avenger's Avatar  
    Contributor

As soon as I saw that this map was not only a non-walkthrough map, but it was made by Nih, I knew I was going to have to check it out. I loaded it up on a server with 4 or so other friends of mine who happened to be over at the house, and we had more fun than I've had on an SC map in a long time; jumping around the map was entertaining in and of itself, and the random aspect of the jump pad location kept us guessing. Our first few runs were pitiful. But we tried to figure out how best to protect the jumper and generally orient ourselves to the map, and within a few rounds we had a solid strategy worked out. We played it for an hour and had a blast.

I've heard the negative attitude towards this map, and the one server I've joined was full of players whining about how it was "broken" whilst simultaneously camping it for more experience on XPmod. Don't listen to it, try it for yourself with a few good friends on an un-modded server.

Unfortunately what makes Jumpers fun - that it requires the group to work together - also means that you need a team that is willing to communicate. You don't have to do well to enjoy the map, but if no one's working together the map feels directionless. This isn't really a fault of the map - playing with any group that isn't cohesive always drains the fun from SC, but the linear nature of 90% of mindless walkthrough maps masks the issue somewhat. A map like this which plays to the strengths of the mod will also feel more noticeably the impact of a lack of communication.

[EDIT] A final mapper's thought:
    @Nih: Could you you have a trigger_setorigin tie an info_target to the main jumper, and upon his death (or disconnection from the server) create a pickup of some kind on his body or at his last location - allowing someone to 'pick up' the job of Main Jumper and carry on if the original Jumper were to die? If the players didn't reclaim the object within a limited amount of time, they would fail.
    Last edited by Tuesday's Avenger; 11-09-2010 at 05:49 PM.

I like this map in that it has a new game idea and concept quite a lot! I do wish some further custom monsters/boss monsters/and or areas were unlocked though when the number of successful jumps hits 10 or above though, can get a little repetitive :o