Thread: sc_defmap

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Contributor

sc_defmap

New defense map, which has elements similar to the horde-elements of sc_decision, but losable this time, and less overkill in terms of monster amount.

BSP Filename: sc_defmap_v3.bsp

Players: 4 - 12 (Ideally 8)

You and your team have created a special electromagnetic wave generator
    capable of eliminating large amounts of zombies at once.

Defend yourself against the incoming zombies
    and don't let the wave generator be destroyed!

Thanks to vluzacn for his remarkably well improved build of ZHLT.

Version history:

• v1 (13th of Jan. 2011): Initial release. Map fully functional.

• v2 (24th of Jan. 2011): Added 3 missions. Improved lighting. Improved brickhouse appearance.

• v3 (2nd of Aug. 2016): Fixed some broken triggers. Changed sky. Improved some triggers. Improved subterranean brushwork. Removed Anti-XP Mod triggers. Made the map easier.

Download mirrors:
    scmapdb
    pestermom.com

Sc_defmap on SCMapDB: http://scmapdb.com/map:defense-map
    Last edited by Silencer; 02-08-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Sven Co-op animator, beta tester, halfway decent modeler WAR_Nuker's Avatar

Re: sc_defmap

holy shit @ lights

more wpoly = more fun Tuesday's Avenger's Avatar  
    Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by WAR_Nuker View Post
    holy shit @ lights
    Yeah, I could hardly see anything :/

I really like the map concept. I wou've played more, but it was just me; I thought I would be clever and add some bots, maybe release some waypoints for the map... until the bots noticed the func_breakable and decided to open fire.

EDIT: I'm assuming you're using 'entity to guard' to draw the zombies in to the breakable?
    Last edited by Tuesday's Avenger; 13-01-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesday's Avenger View Post
    No i mean it doesnt have that shitty typical half life lightmap look to it.

how did you do that?

I was almost about to ask if this was a Source map.

whoa hey, that looks like Source flashlight/lighting.

Contributor

how did you do that?
    Ah, gotcha. I think you can step down the lighting area size and make it more precise/sharp looking; I forget the compiler command. This is taxing, but on a map with a single focused area it works well. Messing with the rad gamma settings will give you better contrast too; I know Silencer was playing with that. The lighting is very nice and atmospheric, I just wish I could see what I was doing.

Yep, lighting looks sharp, though I can only imagine the map's -chop has been set to 2 or something insanely small. I have to agree with Tuesday though; get some light in that map! Considering how sharp the lighting is coming out, don't let it go to waste by having a map with one light entity in it. D:

I'd love to play this with someone if somebody can get a server going.

Also: How did you get the priority and properties thing to display? I wasn't aware that any build of SC could do that -- that's insanely useful!

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFeena View Post
    Yep, lighting looks sharp, though I can only imagine the map's -chop has been set to 2 or something insanely small. I have to agree with Tuesday though; get some light in that map! Considering how sharp the lighting is coming out, don't let it go to waste by having a map with one light entity in it. D:

I'd love to play this with someone if somebody can get a server going.
    I'm game, just let me know.

Well, I don't know the first thing about running a server (I can't even get a listen server going) so unless someone else hosts one or you yourself know how, I'm out of luck :x

I can go listenserver.

Doing it now.

Edit: The sound in this map already comes with SC 4.5.

Contributor

Whoa! Replies!

Noted: Shit dark.

I really like the map concept. I wou've played more, but it was just me; I thought I would be clever and add some bots, maybe release some waypoints for the map... until the bots noticed the func_breakable and decided to open fire.
    Haha.

EDIT: I'm assuming you're using 'entity to guard' to draw the zombies in to the breakable?
    Nope. I set the func_breakable classify keyvalue to Player Ally.

how did you do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I was almost about to ask if this was a Source map.

whoa hey, that looks like Source flashlight/lighting.
    Ah, gotcha. I think you can step down the lighting area size and make it more precise/sharp looking; I forget the compiler command. This is taxing, but on a map with a single focused area it works well. Messing with the rad gamma settings will give you better contrast too; I know Silencer was playing with that. The lighting is very nice and atmospheric, I just wish I could see what I was doing.
    Yeah, it's too dark, probably. Evaluating how it will look on other people's screen is hard. About the lighting quality:
    Code:
    SET CSG_PARAMS=-nowadtextures -cliptype simple
    SET BSP_PARAMS=
    SET VIS_PARAMS=-full
    SET RAD_PARAMS=-bounce 1 -extra -sparse -dscale 1 -gamma 0.88
    SET ALL_PARAMS=-estimate -threads 2 -chart -low
    Nothing outrageous as you all assumed. The number one reason why the lighting itself is decent is because I am using vluzacn's compile tools. They are superior to SHLT in almost every aspect by now, because he fixed a shitload of ancient ZHLT bugs and sillinesses. That also explains the HD skybox. (512*512 textures) Used his Hammer grid hack.

Also: How did you get the priority and properties thing to display? I wasn't aware that any build of SC could do that -- that's insanely useful!
    \n in func_breakable HUD Info. Breaks a line for you. Also works on game_text messages. I didn't know this was a secret? :o

@ Sound already existing: Yep. But time has shown that old maps aren't delivered with later releases for all of eternity, so I shipped it just to be sure.

Hope some of you get to run a playtest on this. If there are too many players you are likely to experience monster spawncamping.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    Hope some of you get to run a playtest on this. If there are too many players you are likely to experience monster spawncamping.
    We did indeed! We had 4 or 5 people, and did fairly well for a time with Dynamite up top sniping while the rest of us ran around blasting things.

Noted: Shit dark.
    Once we got playing, it wasn't as hindering as I thought it might be; it definitely made the atmosphere creepier (some ambient sounds would help too, but I know this is an early build). However I would still appreciate a light or two inside the brick structure that houses the generator, even very low intensity ones. The generator goes down very fast - which makes for a good challenge - but when you can't see anything around it it can be frustrating.

Nope. I set the func_breakable classify keyvalue to Player Ally.
    Gotcha. I meant rather how you were getting them to come from all over the map towards the middle; even if they weren't aiming for anyone in particular. The gonomes that come from back across the river move very deliberately inwards, despite not having any targets visible to them. Are they on a node path?

\n in func_breakable HUD Info. Breaks a line for you. Also works on game_text messages. I didn't know this was a secret? :o
    I didn't know that! What other dark and magical secrets have you been hiding, hmm!?

Overall I really like the idea and the setting for the map, and we had a good time running it. I know it's an early build, and using a func_breakable is kind of problematic at this stage, but some extra bits will definitely help make the map more interesting. Does it have a win condition? Could the players get a few more weapons, maybe ones which are more rare and difficult to acquire? Perhaps short side missions will be required periodically? Could special boss enemies arrive every few minutes to terrify the defenders and require them to coordinate their efforts? Just throwing out ideas.

Nice work

Contributor

Whoop! Thanks for the quick playtest and feedback.

I thought about having 3 Gonomes spawn at the same time once every 2 minutes or so. I am open for suggestions on what else exactly could happen. It'd have to fit the zombie theme.

Also there is an ending sequence when you kill 400 zombies. (Probably even more than it already sounds - I should lower it)

Yeah about that brick house. I wanted to expand on that thing, give it a roof and add more hints of a second floor having been there. Probably will move the whole house away from the brightly lit cliffs a bit because it's simply too close. And yes, it needs some lights and old but not annoyingly large furniture. Will probably change the groundplan and add hints of room arrangement through taken down walls. Also stairs and where did the debris go? ^^

There are no scripted_sequences or anything. It's just a bland node graph and freeroaming enabled. Monster AI has a GetPathToEnemy()-function which will probably account for func_breakables with the given classification.

There are mainly two free spaces that can be used for expanding gameplay. There is this area behind the long fence and the free area on the other side of the river. (There is some solitary power generator with yellow lights, which currently is there only for the looks/heck of it) Probably could make a sidemission where the generator fails and there is a complete blackout, except for those spotlights standing near the sandbags. Then you have to go repair it. :O The area behind the fence I thought about putting another monster spawn. However, I'd love to intercorporate an alternative side mission. Open for specific suggestions here. I can put there anything really. Lot's of room to expand underground for example. Maybe you have to extinguish some underground brood cave? 8)

I'd really like to increase difficulty at some point but give the SAW to the players then. Also thought about func_tanks at some of the sandbag piles, to make them more interesting locations and prevent players from camping the 4 house entries. Probably will have to make them larger or add a big wallhole or two.

did fairly well for a time with Dynamite up top sniping while the rest of us ran around blasting things.
    Excellent! That's exactly how I imagined it to work out. One guy sniping, the rest (sort of) rampaging.

Played it with Tuesday, and the big issues I saw were the lack of lighting, the slow pace of the level, and the almost one-hit-kill nature of the zombies against the generator. I realize the map is supposed to be dark, but I think even a dim light_environemnt would do wonders -- also consider adding some significant lighting to the area the players are supposed to defend, and progressively make things darker towards the monster spawns.

I do think the map could "ramp up" a bit faster -- for 400 hundred kills, I do think there needs to be more points in the map where the players are rushed by a unusually strong wave of monsters, or an unsual quantity of monsters. Consider some randomized stuff; things like that keep the players on their toes. One main reason why there needs to be more agressive surges of monsters, is because at one point I and one other player were capable of single-handedly holding down one of the zombie spawn points.

Graphically, I also think the architecture could use some more eye candy. I noticed your 3D skybox thing, and that was indeed neat.

On a final note about the lighting -- having more light in the level will let you do more neat tricks with it in the long run. For instance, if you wanted to randomly have a huge monster beam out of thin air really far away from the player, the players will need to be able to see that happening. A lot of your scripting work can go to waste if you don't let the players see it!

Nice start so far, just keep working on it.

Contributor

Yeah I moved, improved and lit the house. It now looks like a better place to live in, even though I still wouldn't.

As for "ramping up", there will be sudden spawns of multiple gonomes.

Also now implementing the two random missions.

I think the new version will be a clear improvement.

Contributor

Yeah I moved, improved and lit the house. It now looks like a better place to live in, even though I still wouldn't.

As for "ramping up", there will be sudden spawns of multiple gonomes.

Also now implementing the two random missions.

I think the new version will be a clear improvement.
    I'm excited to see it!

Quick kills only work provided the illusion that you are being swarmed by zombies like in Left4Dead.

Bonus points if you replace the firing sounds with something that feels heavy, bad, and rad.

Don't forget to add some AC/DC, Motörhead or Mötley Crüe!

Contributor

As for music, that probably comes last. I'll have you tell me what the atmosphere feels like and add fitting music.
    E.g. 28-days-later-kind-of music that expresses suspense, chaos and survival horror or rather rock music to underline
    the massacre-ness or rather encouraging/epic music to underline the difficulty/challenge of the map?

(short edited version)

or

either of those if its gonna be 28 days later. dont loop it either, whatever you choose...just play the song once toward the end of gameplay. have the last wave of zombies be large and tough based on the flow of the music. that would freak people out.

....and if they lose do a replay option.

Contributor

OOOOOOOOOOOOH I just had a nice idea for a third mission. 8-)

Contributor

Development progressing smoothly. (5 days before my exam week ^^""""while(true) append('"');)

In fact, two missions are implemented. Only the third one left. As with everything in v1, it will be done quite crappy, but working.
    (I also noticed that vluzacn's hlrad's solid texture shadows work great!)

(I also noticed that vluzacn's hlrad's solid texture shadows work great!)
    Pics?

Check Model Showcase Thread! Recaldy's Avatar

Looks pretty awesome. Reminds me of those outskurts maps in They Hunger.

Manager

That also explains the HD skybox. (512*512 textures) Used his Hammer grid hack.
    !!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast