Thread: Great New Things Coming...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Manager

Post Great New Things Coming...

MMRCIn recent times, you may have noticed fewer active Sven Co-op players than would have been found a few years ago. We noticed this too, and, three months ago, we went searching for answers. We took a long, hard look at the experience of Sven Co-op -- at elements like the initial presentation, first joining a game, etc. -- and we didn't like what we saw. So we took a big step: we pooled our funds and hired an actual, professional market research company to provide intensive, unbiased focus group testing! While we did contribute personally (Nih and Hezus in particular), this would never have been possible without your own generous donations, and we are eternally grateful for that. The process may have been expensive, but the results were well worth the price.

In short, we found that Sven Co-op was a total mess. Three in five group members required assistance just to start their first game, and nine out of ten struggled with the controls. They also didn't understand what characters they were playing, their motivations, or how different maps formed part of a cohesive story. Most participants reported moderate-or-higher difficulty in understanding exactly what was going on at any given time. The game was simply too complex and unintuitive... With such a low level of accessibility, it's no surprise that we're having trouble attracting new players.

After multiple sessions, we've been able to identify all of the major problems and formulate suitable solutions. We're not finished yet, but the game is already feeling considerably more focused and streamlined. Here are the features you can expect in the next release:

Before

After

Coherent Setting: Wildly differing themes between maps had turned the mod into an incoherent and confusing mess. From now on, all official maps will take place in Black Mesa, and players will take on a consistent role as helmeted HEV science personnel (thus providing a 'blank slate').
    Ten Enemy Types: Each with its own distinct role. These have been picked to have easily-recognisable silhouettes, reducing confusion considerably.
    Six Diverse Weapons: We've really refined these down to their purest forms, with each filling a specific and obvious function. Secondary fire modes have been removed as they're just not necessary any more!
    Unified Ammo: Our new ammo system gives you all the benefits of having multiple ammo types and much more! As well allowing players increased freedom of choice, with only one ammo type you actually have to think more. You'll have to consider how many nanites each weapon uses, then make the decision on what you want to fire.*
    Health, Redefined: We know many of you find the use of regenerating health in modern shooters to feel unrealistic. We agree! That's why in Sven Co-op, health will only regenerate after every 30-second encounter. Medkits can still be collected for bonus points.
    Improved Matchmaking: No more wasting time messing about in a server browser -- Sven Co-op will now handle all matchmaking automatically, conecting you with up to five random companions!
    Uniform Controls: Mouse & keyboard is still supported, but we've worked with researchers to painstakingly determine the single best and most intuitive standardised layout for this option! Was it WASD?... You'll just have to wait and see.
    Social Integration: Sven Co-op will automatically post updates to your Twitter, Facebook and MySpace pages each time you complete an Encounter, giving your friends up-to-the-minute details of your in-game progress.
    * (Shotgun ammo is being used as a placeholder while we wait for the Unified Ammo model to pass testing)

Before

After

The release date for the next version (to be titled simply "Sven Co-op") is still undetermined. If any publishers are reading this, please contact us regarding possible console ports.

Contributor

Re: Great New Things Coming...

ARGH STILL TO MUCH COLOUR!!

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Sven Viking View Post
    Three in five group members required assistance just to start their first game, and nine out of ten struggled with the controls.
    I remember that. But when i think back, i must say even if we all had a hard time it was quite amusing.
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

Tester

Nice, but i was kinda hoping that you would remove all puzzle maps and such, they tend to get confusing from time to time.

I love the map changes, SC should go back to it's roots.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Jaf View Post
    Nice, but i was kinda hoping that you would remove all puzzle maps and such, they tend to get confusing from time to time.
    We're actually way ahead of you on that -- puzzling sections in non-puzzle maps are also undergoing a streamlining process. It's just that so many amazing changes have been made, we can't fit them all on the news page! For example, the addition of the continual Golden Path means that players will never again waste their time getting lost on maps.
    Sven Viking

great info...
    finally tetris remasterd. I'm every lost in this map.

Oh nooooo!

Do you smell what I smell? Walter's Avatar

Gonomes?

Will they be in this new version?

Your Everyday Green Yoshi. ResistanceYoshi's Avatar

Post Re: Great New Things Coming...

I liked the remastered map ideas, but somehow I still prefer the regular theme. Is it possible to have an option to change the themes so that players could have an option to switch back if they happen to prefer the regular theme over remastered?
    There's nothing you need to know about me, I'm just your everyday Green Yoshi.

I could also be found at: [Youtube] [Steam] [Deviantart]

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by LemonSoda View Post
    Oh nooooo!
    We ran into some problems making necessary alterations to sc_psyko, by the way... it's too weird even for a Xen map (and we'd prefer to exclude Xen from official maps in any case, to be honest... Xen was a pretty confusing place even in HL1). Unless you can re-do the brushwork, I'm afraid we'll have to discard it. Also, the name is misspelt.

Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    Gonomes?

Will they be in this new version?
    Yes! We know how much everyone loves Gonomes, so we decided from an early planning stage to ensure that they were one of the things we did keep. They take the place of Bullsquids and other zombie creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by ResistanceYoshi View Post
    I liked the remastered map ideas, but somehow I still prefer the regular theme. Is it possible to have an option to change the themes so that players could have an option to switch back if they happen to prefer the regular theme over remastered?
    That sounds a bit too confusing for players, I'm afraid. It'd be hard to do without adding the options menu back in.
    Sven Viking

Can we also get a marker that shows the location of your next objective on screen? I swear I always get lost in toonrun. You also didn't mention cover system, I demand we get dozens of chest high walls placed all over the maps.

Artist

Quote Originally Posted by ozku View Post
    I demand we get dozens of chest high walls placed all over the maps.
    pfff, better player height. if not larger

Ive been around and about for a long time and i personally like the way the game is, I love the tetris series the only issues i have is registry with shotgun on full auto, i like the old toonrun the wacky colors are what made it toonrun, i hope this doenst turn to a whole new game, and not just a little revamp

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by ozku View Post
    Can we also get a marker that shows the location of your next objective on screen? I swear I always get lost in toonrun.
    The continual Golden Path makes this unnecessary.
    Sven Viking

The Sven Co-op team has also come to think, "What were we thinking?!" when having had stamped some maps with BOMS status and including them with past Sven Co-op releases (that are still in current release).

Not in the circlejerk S. H. Lynx's Avatar

No more wasting time messing about in a server browser -- Sven Co-op will now handle all matchmaking automatically, conecting you with up to five random companions!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtMO-omeo5s

Servidor Hispano de Sven Co-op

Current HN: Luces en Babel / Babylon (Steam) - I no longer use S. H. Lynx on my work.
    SteamID

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

I would rather see the enemies and weapons be narrowed down even further. I don't have time to learn what each one does. I just need to play through the maps as efficiently as possible and get on with my day. On the positive side, I appreciate the reduction in customization... some of the more recent maps are strange and intimidating.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Quote Originally Posted by Sven Viking View Post
    We ran into some problems making necessary alterations to sc_psyko, by the way... it's too weird even for a Xen map (and we'd prefer to exclude Xen from official maps in any case, to be honest... Xen was a pretty confusing place even in HL1). Unless you can re-do the brushwork, I'm afraid we'll have to discard it. Also, the name is misspelt.
    Ohh noo, not psyko

But I can do it, I will start simplifying the architecture just for you Sven, I will start right away! And also the textures, ah I always loved Black Mesa... the bright colours the current version just make my eyes bleed... yes i can imagine how nicely it will all blend in with the beautiful greyness of Black Mesa...

And the name is not misspelt, it is in finnish. But it can be changed to english, just to make it easier for the players to understand and remember!

Check Model Showcase Thread! Recaldy's Avatar

1) If I'm about 50% through creating a map and this is released...should I just stop making the map?

2) Can I still replace my weapon v_ files? Personally can't stand the whole HEV theme. X_X

3) There gonna be a specific list of .wads focused on by the new Co-op? I'm sure it's just going to be the original halflife.wad and the few others but figured I'd ask.

Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Recaldy View Post
    1) If I'm about 50% through creating a map and this is released...should I just stop making the map?
    new maps are always good!
    just follow the new guidelines sven posted here. maybe you can be the first using one of the new things!

Quote Originally Posted by Recaldy View Post

2) Can I still replace my weapon v_ files? Personally can't stand the whole HEV theme. X_X

3) There gonna be a specific list of .wads focused on by the new Co-op? I'm sure it's just going to be the original halflife.wad and the few others but figured I'd ask.
    We won't be supporting custom WADs anymore. To make sure there won't be compability issues, all custom textures from older maps will be automaticly swapped for matching textures from the Half-Life wads. The same goes for custom weapons. They will all be reverted to one of the six weapons.

Sven Co-op animator, beta tester, halfway decent modeler WAR_Nuker's Avatar

didnt we agree to get rid of a lot of weapons too? if so, im glad we're finally going through with it. the precache limit workaround is a pain in the ass. we can avoid it entirely.

Manager

Well yes, as you can see the weapon amount has been reduced to just 6 essential weapon types, with great results. We won't reveal exactly which weapons have been selected, but it shouldn't be surprising that the medkit will no longer appear in the game as it has been rendered obsolete by the auto-regeneration feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Nih View Post
    Well yes, as you can see the weapon amount has been reduced to just 6 essential weapon types, with great results. We won't reveal exactly which weapons have been selected, but it shouldn't be surprising that the medkit will no longer appear in the game as it has been rendered obsolete by the auto-regeneration feature.
    If you come to think of it, having an Uzi, MP5, M16 and M249 SAW at the same time is kind of redicilous. They all fire bullets fast with medium damage, so why not combine all these into 1 weapon that does the same?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast