Tester

Re: Zelda OOT Conversion (ep1)

Congrates w00tguy123 !!!

Well deserved

Regards
    Wolf-3D

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Well now, that makes me feel pretty damn good! I'm glad you all liked the maps. It was great seeing people's reactions after working on this for years without testing with anyone.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Just ripented the maps again. Dynamite sent a list of bugs/suggestions and this is what I've changed:

-Intro can be skipped with a vote.
    -Shortcut added for the water platform puzzle.
    -Moved text up so that chat doesn't cover it on some resolutions.
    -Mido is no longer a moving and killable zombie.
    -Removed death warning/notice in second level.

Updates are in the main download and in a smaller one here.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Contributor

Not sure if the attached has been reported
    First screenshot has a small lady who when used with E disappears inside a jar.
    Can't remember what house it was.
    Second is the person who blocks you, when he does get out of the way you can see through his feet from the back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-20_00004.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	15025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-21_00001.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	15026  

I honestly spent half an hour trying to get that girl not to fall into her seat. I seriously have no idea what's going on there. The mido feet problem is new to me, but a rather small issue. I think I'll wait for more issues to build up before doing another update.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the problem with the wall spiders in the second level. If you're killed by them, they chase you when you respawn. I tried fixing this too but I'm afraid I need to redo their entity system. At least it's funny to watch.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    I'm suprised no one has mentioned the problem with the wall spiders in the second level. If you're killed by them, they chase you when you respawn. I tried fixing this too but I'm afraid I need to redo their entity system. At least it's funny to watch.
    haha yeah, first time that happened to me I was scared shitless!

^ I wish I had video of that test where there was massive spawnfragging too. Whoever got out of the blood orgy of screaming links got chased by flying spiders. It was a hilarious disaster.

Small update:

-Text speed is faster
    -Mido model improved

Main upload updated. Changed files here.
    Love,
    w00tguy

lol first project that I was much involved in to get BOMS.

I love multi_manager Jamesmarine's Avatar

Please continue with this series. It was the most epic map I have played in years!

Cool Design.

Game tester  
    Tester

Me and my friend tried burn OVER 9000 times the web... Bug?

^ that's a bug that was fixed a while ago. If you got the maps before June 21st then you'll need to download them again.

The bug happens if you walk into the web (triggering the navi hint) before burning it.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Game tester  
    Tester

^ that's a bug that was fixed a while ago. If you got the maps before June 21st then you'll need to download them again.

The bug happens if you walk into the web (triggering the navi hint) before burning it.
    Oh i didn't see that. Thanks!

Map was interesting but we had to quit because we didn't know what to do inside the tree where you get the fire stick from the plant. The chest shows up but then what?
    Last edited by Aurora; 02-01-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

You have to break the web on the floor next to spawn. To do that, at least two players have to jump simultaneously from different ledges.
    Love,
    w00tguy

You have to break the web on the floor next to spawn. To do that, at least two players have to jump simultaneously from different ledges.
    Different ledges. Was that mentioned anywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

Nope, my bad. It never even crossed my mind that people might jump off the same one until now.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Tester

i was stuck in that part for a good 15 minutes :/

on a lan server i was gonna play the map and it crashed to the desktop with this error is there a way to fix this

There are a couple of problems with these maps now. The first level crashes for some reason and the second level spawns a million gohma larva. I think these might be related to the squadmaker flag bug which is fixed in the next version. I'll look into it soon.

Edit: the second map's problem is the cyclic/start on flag bug, but I have no idea what's going on in the first map. Last time I tried it the game crashed at random some time after I bought some stuff at the store. I just tried it again and it crashed as soon as I picked up the Deku Nuts (the 30 Rupee ones). Is that how you crashed?
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 03-05-2013 at 11:38 PM.
    Love,
    w00tguy

There are a couple of problems with these maps now. The first level crashes for some reason and the second level spawns a million gohma larva. I think these might be related to the squadmaker flag bug which is fixed in the next version. I'll look into it soon.

Edit: the second map's problem is the cyclic/start on flag bug, but I have no idea what's going on in the first map. Last time I tried it the game crashed at random some time after I bought some stuff at the store. I just tried it again and it crashed as soon as I picked up the Deku Nuts (the 30 Rupee ones). Is that how you crashed?
    i crashed as soon as i tryed to load the map

Quote Originally Posted by m0u$3[uz] View Post
    i crashed as soon as i tryed to load the map
    I can't get that crash to happen. I've tried two different computers and the only time it crashes is when I pick up the deku nuts.

The good news is the maps work fine in the next version of SC. The bad news is I have no idea why it's crashing in this version.
    Love,
    w00tguy

I can't get that crash to happen. I've tried two different computers and the only time it crashes is when I pick up the deku nuts.

The good news is the maps work fine in the next version of SC. The bad news is I have no idea why it's crashing in this version.
    good well the only server i can play the map on is misfire's server that's the only server i can play the map on

Finally, after like 3 years mapping this on and off, the first (and most likely last) episode is finished. These two maps sport 144 custom sounds, 74 custom
    The Future:
    These maps are essentially eye candy with only somewhat interesting gameplay. It will be fun the first time you play through, but once you reach the end you’ll probably feel like you’ve had enough. For this reason (and because this took a ton of effort) I’ve decided not to continue the series.
    That is a real shame. This was the most beautiful and unique map/s on SC I have ever played. Arguably I am a LoZ fan, but even if I was not it still looks and plays great. I like how everything looks, sounds and feels like OOT but in 1st person and able to be played online with others.

I would of recommended this to others even when you had to buy a copy of HL1 just to play it. Now with SC being completely stand alone and free, how can this not be recommended to any Zelda fan or even adventurer? Once I get back to my fan sites I will definately spread the word on this!

The amount of detail and LoZ feel is quite astounding. If only you could get the burning stick puzzles and for that matter, any future puzzles (And OOT has a great many of them...) to work properly or find ways to handicap it with out completely taking said puzzles away, would make it be perfect. Make the way you interact with others and objects (Such as using the standard crossbow model for the sling shot as you have now feels a little off and I found no way to actually use the shield, making hearts visible for health info.) and it would be better than gold. Still you get a 10 out of 10 from me though.

However why can I not kill Mido? He deserves it! And how do you talk to the girl on the ledge above the shop? I know in the actual game you use your fairy to talk to her and it was an important game learning mechanic. But I can not talk to her even if I can get up to the ledge. I just "magically" get pushed off with out her ever talking to me. And also in the shop you did not hide the secret rupee on the other side of the wall next to the counter that is normally out of sight when playing the actual game.

Seriously great job and a well deserved BOMS!

Edit: I can see there is not as much action as in most other FPS maps and some people may indeed not play it more than once, but I can promise there are a LOT of Zelda fans out there and those who are even put off by the usual FPS genrie would love these maps.

Plus you have to keep in mind, not all maps are worthy of being played more than once in my mind due to if they feel generic or uninspiring. Your's however are aweinspiring and unique and I can see people playing this more than once especially with other people. Keep at it please!
    Last edited by Lamar; 10-11-2016 at 02:32 AM.

Those stick puzzles pretty much ruin the map lol. That was a good example of why it's important to playtest levels and get feedback while you work.

With Angelscript, there's so much that can be done to improve these maps (accurate enemies, usable shields, better puzzles, etc.), but I just can't motivate myself to spend any more time on this. Ever since I got into coding I realized how much of a waste porting OOT to SC was. If I had spent the same amount of time on a game made from scratch it would have gotten a lot farther and be way more fun to work on.

I'm pretty sure these maps are broken in the latest SC too. Last I tested there were random crashes that I couldn't figure out how to reproduce. The day-night cycle in my WIP maps is also broken due to some change to view distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
    However why can I not kill Mido? He deserves it!
    You could in early versions, and it was pretty funny watching him try to escape with his shit-in-pants walk animation. He was "fixed" to preserve map immersion (i.e. eliminate fun).

And how do you talk to the girl on the ledge above the shop?
    You can't because I never gave her any dialog. A combination of laziness and thinking she was annoying for interrupting me on the way to the shop in the original game.

And also in the shop you did not hide the secret rupee on the other side of the wall next to the counter that is normally out of sight when playing the actual game.
    Limitations with item_security prevent it from being more tucked into that corner. Everybody who's anybody knows about that "secret" rupee anyway

Seriously great job and a well deserved BOMS!

Edit: I can see there is not as much action as in most other FPS maps and some people may indeed not play it more than once, but I can promise there are a LOT of Zelda fans out there and those who are even put off by the usual FPS genrie would love these maps.

Plus you have to keep in mind, not all maps are worthy of being played more than once in my mind due to if they feel generic or uninspiring. Your's however are aweinspiring and unique and I can see people playing this more than once especially with other people. Keep at it please!
    Thanks! Hearing that people like these maps a lot for some reason or another is great, but then I feel bad for abandoning it. There was significant progress made to streamline production of the remaining "episodes", but the spirit and motivation are long gone.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast