Thread: Zelda OOT Conversion (ep1)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Zelda OOT Conversion (ep1)

Finally, after like 3 years mapping this on and off, the first (and most likely last) episode is finished. These two maps sport 144 custom sounds, 74 custom models, and a few sprites too!

Summary:
    You start out in the kokiri forest collecting rupees, buying items, and searching for extra lives (all of which carry over to the next level). Then, you enter The Great Deku Tree and break the evil curse bestowed upon him! Link Squad - Go!

Difficulty:
    You are given 10 lives at the start of each level and there are bonus lives (fairies) hidden throughout the maps. For large groups of players who don’t know what they’re doing, these maps will be challenging at first. For a dedicated group of ~4 players, this should be easy. There must be at least two players to complete this because it takes that many to break the first web in the second map. If you’re alone then just noclip through it.
    Read the MOTD if you’re stuck/confused/stupid!

Screenies:

Download:
    Zelda OOT Conversion

EDIT: As of 6/21/2012 there are new updates to these maps. The issue with the web not burning in the second level has been fixed.

Attention Server Owners!
    Please turn off xpmod for these maps. You’re only supposed to have 30 health for these levels, not 300. Hearts and the heart container cannot be picked up if your health is too high.
    I was able to cap the armor at 0 via ents, but I can’t stop health regeneration. So if you want these maps to have any challenge at all, then turn off xpmod. Most of the monsters have like 10 health anyway, so it’s not like players will be missing out on much exp.

About:
    The maps were made using model rips from the Nemu64 emulator. I scaled the models and used the export-to-map feature in Milkshape3D. Since a 5-sided brush is created from each face, it’s very tedious work to simplify the world geometry. The transfer of rupees, lives and items was done using global states, and my binary keyvalue saver/loader.

Fun fact: The entity systems in these maps have gone through 2 major revisions. I started the maps back in SC 3.0, and as 4.0 and 4.6 came out, new entities gradually made everything simpler. The rupee system, for example, went from ~500 to ~5 ents.

The Future:
    These maps are essentially eye candy with only somewhat interesting gameplay. It will be fun the first time you play through, but once you reach the end you’ll probably feel like you’ve had enough. For this reason (and because this took a ton of effort) I’ve decided not to continue the series.

Credits:

Sence - Helped me with animations+entities+errors+testing. It’s nice to have a skilled and active mapper to talk with.

Misfire – Pretty much all of my final testing was done with him on his server. He arranged public tests and also helped me with the res file.

Qwerty - Mapped a big section of Lost Woods. Linked me to tools and resources (ROM debug stuff, fancy music). Gave tons of feedback, ideas, etc. in the early stages of the project.

ZREO (Zelda Reorchestrated) – The cool guys and gals who made the music.
    http://www.zreomusic.com/z5-archive
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 21-06-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Artist

Re: Zelda OOT Conversion (ep1)

This was a really nice project. It motivates me alot to see something new and fresh like this. You made a big step for changes in other future maps probably too. Sven-coop has gotten a pretty awesome engine for devs huh? Thanks for sharing!

Tester

im definitely playing this soon

^^^what Jaf said. Congrats w00tguy, this looks amazing; also congrats Sence, Qwerty and Misfire!

I played this some during a public test. Very nice map!

Do want!

The scripter and fixer,quad rulez Maiten's Avatar

Congrats,you made an awesome map,very nice and innovative gameplay

i Have some reports:

Seems the thigger changelevel of map 1 is outdated,because when it try change to map 2 the server gives loz2_tree_b3 Not Found

Also the cfgs and motd files dont are listed in the res file.

You should include the cfg ini files for amxx to unload xpmod when the map starts,here i have attached the files for you
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Epic Server

Argh I thought I made sure to fix those changelevels. They should be fixed now, and the maps no longer have that "_b4" suffix. Also, the .res files now have the cfgs and the motds.

Thanks for that amxx .rar! It's included in the latest upload now.
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 19-06-2012 at 04:26 AM.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Tester

Well we played and i have to say its really impressive, but we could not get past this part.
    ( http://youtu.be/i5TBjgfAVPs?t=1m4s ) thats a video from the original game and its the second place where you need to burn stuff with the stick.
    We could get the burning stick to the web but it would not burn. And alllso the stick is REALLY hard to move around, it makes simple puzzles really hard.
    Could you maybe make the stick follow the player with trigger_setorigin or something in the next possible update?
    Sometimes the stick would just float trough walls and ceilings.
    Last edited by Jaf; 20-06-2012 at 04:47 PM.

That web not burning has happened in a playtest before, but I don't understand how it happens. I haven't been able to reproduce it, so it seems random. I think it might happen when you try it too many times, but even then I can't get it to happen.

In the next SC update there will be an entity that will let you carry the sticks so I guess I'll just redo all of the sticks then. I'm considering just removing that whole puzzle for now.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Tester

oh and i forgot to mention there is an invisible wall near the web that needs to be burned
    Maybe this screen helps you to locate it if you dont allready know where it is

Yea I'm aware that part is solid. It's some error that happens during CSG that I'd have to fix by changing the brushwork around. I think you can get through it by jumping or crouching or both.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaf View Post
    Well we played and i have to say its really impressive, but we could not get past this part.
    ( http://youtu.be/i5TBjgfAVPs?t=1m4s ) thats a video from the original game and its the second place where you need to burn stuff with the stick.
    We could get the burning stick to the web but it would not burn. And alllso the stick is REALLY hard to move around, it makes simple puzzles really hard.
    Could you maybe make the stick follow the player with trigger_setorigin or something in the next possible update?
    Sometimes the stick would just float trough walls and ceilings.
    Yeah that issue is a weird one... might be handy to have noclip in those cases. How many players were u testing with by chance?

Tester

2 players and neither of us was an admin so we were pretty much stuck

The web not burning issue has been fixed! Using the hint from navi made the web unburnable because a trigger_relay was killing an important entity.

The new changes are uploaded now.

You can download just this map if you don't want to get the whole pack again.
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 21-06-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    Love,
    w00tguy

When i try to run this on our server, I get the following error

Code:
    Host_Error: PF_precache_model_I: Model 'models/zelda/characters/Young_Link_equip0_B.mdl' failed to precache because the item count is over the 512 limit.
    Reduce the number of brush models and/or regular models in the map to correct thi
    However it seems to run fine on a local listen server... any ideas?
    Xfire Profile | NBG Admin
    "Sanity is not statistical." - George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 9
    "When the Rich Wage War its the POOR who die!" - Fort Minor, Kenji

I'm going to guess that your server runs plugins that cause extra models to be precached. These maps already use global model replacement so I'm not sure if I can lower the amount of models used without recompiling.

You might have to disable a plugin or two to get it running for now.
    Love,
    w00tguy

I disabled the following plugins for this map

scxpm.amxx
    scstuffplugin2.amxx (a slightly modified version of scstuffplugin.amxx)
    SecondaryFOV.amxx
    plugin_glow.amxx
    plugin_trail.amxx

and it seems to work now.

If i had to guess I'd say its the trail plugin which caches some sprites for the trails.

Could this be the case?
    Xfire Profile | NBG Admin
    "Sanity is not statistical." - George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 9
    "When the Rich Wage War its the POOR who die!" - Fort Minor, Kenji

Yea I think you're right. Sprites count towards the model limit afaik.

I should probably combine some of the models I use into one so these types of plugins can run.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    These maps already use global model replacement so I'm not sure if I can lower the amount of models used without recompiling.
    Here's a list of which models are precached. You might find more models you can replace.
    ---
    Last edited by Dynamite; 12-05-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripps View Post
    I disabled the following plugins for this map

scxpm.amxx
    scstuffplugin2.amxx (a slightly modified version of scstuffplugin.amxx)
    SecondaryFOV.amxx
    plugin_glow.amxx
    plugin_trail.amxx

and it seems to work now.

If i had to guess I'd say its the trail plugin which caches some sprites for the trails.

Could this be the case?
    Yeah, the trail plugin is usually the culprit for maps going over model limit when they should work properly.

Theres actually a few tweaks that can be made to the GMR file. freed 20 free model slots

Add these to kokiri.txt inside models/zelda/ and those plugins should be able to work fine. Also change not_precached.mdl to v_medkit.mdl

Code:
    "models/p_357.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/p_9mmar.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/p_9mmhandgun.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/p_shotgun.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/v_357.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/v_9mmar.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/v_9mmhandgun.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/v_shotgun.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/w_357.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/w_357ammo.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/w_357ammobox.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/w_9mmar.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/w_9mmarclip.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/w_9mmclip.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/w_9mmhandgun.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/w_shotbox.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/w_shotgun.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/p_spore_launcher.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/v_spore_launcher.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    "models/w_spore_launcher.mdl"		"models/v_medkit.mdl"
    Last edited by Misfire; 22-06-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Ninja Edit: Pipe Wrench is used.

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    I'm going to guess that your server runs plugins that cause extra models to be precached. These maps already use global model replacement so I'm not sure if I can lower the amount of models used without recompiling.

You might have to disable a plugin or two to get it running for now.
    Nudge - It might help if you include the gmr file in the Archive, also don't forget you need to create a path to the gmr file from your map_name.cfg (otherwise it will not load.)
    Or are you confusing gmr with custom_precache ?
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

@Misfire: Wow, thanks! That ought to be enough room for that trail plugin to run. I'll make those changes and reupload soon.

@wolf-3d: The gmr file has been in the .rar at "models/zelda/kokiri.txt". Both maps use that and to load it I used the map properties in hammer. The gmr is loading fine when I start a listen server and I'm pretty sure it works on dedicated too. Is it not loading for you?

Edit: The main .rar has been updated and attached are the files that were changed. I included the gmr/smr files in the res files since they're kind of important. Oh, and all those useless GameCfg.wc files are gone now.
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 22-06-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Tester

WTF - my Bad, I was looking at the wrong map - ( Looked for Zelda & loaded something else, Red Face here.)
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Manager

Let's see... Total conversion SC map with all custom content, lots of unique ideas, interesting well-thought-out gameplay, plenty of coop elements... I think we have a BOMS map

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast