Thread: Desert circle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Artist

Re: Desert circle

Apparently this map broke with the release of SC 4.8 and for a very long time I did not even notice it. Therefore I am making another update for this map. Here is a list of changes I want to make:

- Fix map (grunts dont do anything atm)
    - Improve enemy spawn and difficulty balancing system
    - Some more ambient sounds
    - Some minor brushwork changes and graphical improvments
    - Make it more difficult to enter castle without capturing the mortar (I dont want to make this impossible because it seems like a legit tactic after all)

If you have any more ideas or suggestions for this map: NOW is the time to post them!
    ZN progress:

The scripter and fixer,quad rulez Maiten's Avatar

hi,on the version of your map installed on my server i have done some ripent to give godmode (using the keyvalue takedamage) to the castle snipers,so people cant abuse of them and also dont waste time trying kill them,would be nice you implement that on your future version
    Epic Server

Contributor

That's weird I thought this was one of the random maps we play tested this before the 4.8 release

Contributor

http://scmapdb.com/map:desert-circle

error name file in *.res

descrcl_6 to descrcl_v6

thanks
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

Artist

New version 6_2 available

Download it from SCMAPDB!

After this idled around my HDD for some while I decided to release this new version. Plz note that the bsp is named descrcl_v6.bsp but you must download the file descrcl_v6_2.zip, otherwise you may have the wrong version.

Changes is this version:
    - Fixed the enemies being stuck where they spawn and not advancing.
    - Totally redid the balancing system. Map should be even more balanced now and also enjoyable in singleplayer. It is still a difficult map.
    - Added a few more ambient sounds.
    - Added a little trap that makes it more difficult to move along the castle walls and blow the castle walls without using the mortar.
    - Added a little more cover to key points of the map.
    - Snipers in tower are now invulnerable, to make it even more obvious that you should not fight them.
    - Wad is now included in the bsp file.
    - Some minor bugfixes and tweaks.

Try this map and let me know what you think. Server admins: plz put this map back in your cycle!
    Last edited by the-middleman; 10-05-2014 at 03:21 PM.
    ZN progress:

func_vehicle fanatic Homosapien's Avatar

Sounds good. I'll make sure to give this thing a spin with the boys tonight.

Contributor

file *.res
    maps/descrcl_6.bsp
    maps/descrcl_6.cfg
    maps/descrcl_6.res
    maps/descrcl_6_detail.txt
    maps/descrcl_6_motd.txt
    maps/descrcl_6_skl.cfg
    folder maps
    maps/descrcl_v6.bsp
    maps/descrcl_v6.cfg
    maps/descrcl_v6.res
    maps/descrcl_v6_detail.txt
    maps/descrcl_v6_motd.txt
    maps/descrcl_v6_skl.cfg
    see all files:
    cmd
    Code:
    dir /s /b
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

Artist

I uploaded yet another version of the map that - hopefully - fixes the last remaining bugs. Most importantly the missing detailtextures and the missing motd.

Download the map with this link: http://scmapdb.com/map:desert-circle

I kindly ask all server admins to update the map on their servers
    ZN progress:

I really enjoyed this map. The limit on weapon classes was different although I would not of mind having the M16/M203 with no side weapon and also the shotgun with maybe the 9mm or to spice things up the desert eagle. But it really was good and made you choose carefully.

I played most of it on my own and hardly used anything other than the sniper rifle, although assaulting the castle itself seemed like the sub was the better choice.

My only real complaint was the flags. I would try to look up at the flag raising and it would stop so I would face straight and hope after it left my field of view that it was still rising. It was a hectic time on the last flag in the castle, being shot at from multiple platforms as the flag rose up slowly which felt like forever and slower then the others. (Either that or the flag pole is purposely higher or just the tension made it feel that way. ) I have not felt that kind of anticipation since my old CS and DoD days of capturing or destroying a location. Also the flag at the mortor worrying about the castle snipers and the other remaining soldiers respawing just below you also brought some nail biting moments.

However I found having to run to the hole in the wall before you even get to blow up the first tower from the explosive crates is a bit of a chore. I am sure the chances of getting to the wall unscathed is much better when you have comrades also being targeted, but not being able to target back the castle snipers at that point and just getting shot some times by more than one is a bit of a pain.

Also the first group of soldiers waiting below the hole, even with grenades is hard. If you can find that sweet spot you can kind of get them good, but I have found it easier said then done. And that hole you created with the mortor was harder to get into then should be.

But I really like the wide open spaces, even if they are mostly just a lie and you are really just corraled into the narrow corners/trenches of the map. And although the enemy respawns and castle snipers are invincible, they also helped build tension and ultimate satisfaction after every flag capture and tower destroyed. I look forward to more of your maps. Good job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12