Thread: The Big Announcement

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Manager

Explosive Crate The Big Announcement

The Big Announcement

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, friends, comrades, alpaca ranchers, mole people, time travelers, and other creatures with opposable thumbs:

After nearly fifteen years in development as a mod for Half-Life, and with our final mod release out of the way, the Sven Co-op Development Team is incredibly proud to announce that we are now focusing all of our effort on our next big project. We've been granted access by Valve to work on our own custom version of the Half-Life engine!

The majority of readers are probably asking themselves, “As an alpaca rancher, why is this showing up in my search results?”, a question for which there is no easy answer.

The rest of you are probably asking, “What exactly does this announcement mean?”

• The next version of Sven Co-op will run as a standalone game using a custom build of the Half-Life engine.

• The game will be FREE for all Steam users, including the official Half-Life campaign (for 2+ player co-op play). A Half-Life purchase will not be required.

• Automatic updates will be available using Steam's content delivery system dubbed SteamPipe. This will allow us to perform more frequent and rapid updates as needed.

• Updates and new features will be added to the Half-Life engine, as well as a series of improvements to Half-Life's level editor called Hammer.

• Increased Half-Life engine limits to allow for much larger and more detailed worlds.

• Stability, performance, and gameplay improvements for everyone.

We are grateful beyond expression to Valve for their generosity and efforts put forth to make this possible. We’re looking forward to working with one of the greatest game engines ever made, and we can assure everyone that there are many, many more updates to come.

More news and progress updates will be posted in the near future, so keep a lookout.
    Last edited by Sven Viking; 17-07-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Manager

Re: The Big Announcement

What about the cheese mongers?

Dayman, Fighter of the nightman titopei's Avatar

This makes me excited. Heres to maybe more players

About damn time Valve gives you guys some recognition! Can't wait to see what you manage to build up with that much of new freedom

I was half expecting to hear the word Source, lol. This is f-ing awesome though! Will bring so many more players in :3 Looking forward to the next 10 years of Sven Co-op XD

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG SVENCOOP IS COMING TO STEAM?! OH MY GOD I'M SO EXCITED I CANT WAIT

Artist

now -that- is nice.
    yo

Why are you guys staying with a 15 year old engine instead of using something like Source? I mean I get that you guys know the engine, but I mean come on, it's 15 years old and doesn't support a lot of things that could potentially add to co-op game play such as real physics and higher definition graphics. This is cool and all, but how many people are going to want to play a game that looks like it's from 1998?

Manager

Now that we're working on a standalone game, going back to being a mod so that we can work on the Source engine seems rather backwards, don't you think?

And no one ever said we weren't going to modernize any of the engine components.

so will it have all the half-life 1 series together? when it becomes a game?

There are lots of stand-alone Source games. SIN: Episode 1 comes to mind. But I mean, how much modernization can you do to an engine that is, essentially, Quake 1 from 1996 with some heavy modifications already made? I can see the draw towards something like this but I don't think this is going to go the way you think it will unless you can modify the engine and it's graphics capabilities to modern spec.

What kinds of modifications do you plan on making?

Manager

We'll be announcing more details on our engine plans later.

Fair enough. I apologize if I'm coming across as rude but I'm just curious about how you're going to keep the engine competitive against Source, CryEngine, Unreal, Unity or Frostbite.

i will be waiting for sven co-op trading cards

Why not use a modern engine, hell, even more modern than source (which, itself is outdated) and make a game that people will actually care about? A game with actual physics, and graphics that aren't literally from 1998. Whatever happened to Sven Co-op 2? You guys have utterly squandered your potential by continuing to develop a game that should've died years ago.

WebMD-Certified Avatar Paramedic E-102 Gamma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L33tMasta View Post
    Why are you guys staying with a 15 year old engine instead of using something like Source? I mean I get that you guys know the engine, but I mean come on, it's 15 years old and doesn't support a lot of things that could potentially add to co-op game play such as real physics and higher definition graphics.
    If they switched to a new engine, they'd pretty much throw all of everyone's previous content out. None of the old maps, for instance, would be compatible with Source. An all-new engine means Sven Co-op 2.0, which means no backwards-compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by L33tMasta View Post
    This is cool and all, but how many people are going to want to play a game that looks like it's from 1998?
    How many people are going to want to play a game that looks like it's from 1985?

Games aren't just for looks.

WOW that's GREAT NEWS! ..I was thinking that something like this might show up after the last update. Being able to change the engine is awesome, finally those engine limits can be engineered so to speak And an update version of hammer Am really excited now.

I.O.A.F Commander - Sven Co-op Force Adrian_Shephard's Avatar

Big leap.. I can't wait until it's released :P
    >>S.V.E.N I.O.A.F - Sven Co-op GVN Team<<

Signature is too big, please read the rules.

Will you please add support for Linux with the new game client?

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Kirix21 View Post
    Will you please add support for Linux with the new game client?
    Joropito is working on it.
    Sven Viking

Just another co-op player Maestro Fénix's Avatar

FUCKING FINALLY. I can´t wait for see it, guys.

Manager

Why would we move to source? There is already synergy and obsidian conflict, just go play that. I can't see what moving to source would accomplish.
    Last edited by Nih; 17-07-2013 at 01:57 AM.

I hit ctrl+f and typed "source", while I entered this thread.
    As I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Nih View Post
    Why would we move to source? There is already synergy and obsidian conflict, just go play that. I can't see what moving to source would accomplish.
    Awesome physic, bumpmaps, HD graphics and ugly maps.

People say GoldSrc is old and has ugly graphics. Now most of the custom synergy and obsidian conflict maps I played, looked uglier.

FUCK YEAH

Will there be a way to get maps to players instead of connecting to a server? Workshop?

Quote Originally Posted by CryoKeen View Post
    FUCK YEAH

Will there be a way to get maps to players instead of connecting to a server?
    SCMapDB.com.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast