Thread: Blue Shift ba_yard 3 Crashing

Blue Shift ba_yard 3 Crashing

I am using the Steam version of HL: Blue Shift and ba_yard3 won't load, it just brings me back to the Sven Co-op start screen. This is happening in both mine and my boyfriend's computers, and neither of us are able to play.

Also, does anyone know of a complete and in-order map list for Blue Shift?

Re: Blue Shift ba_yard 3 Crashing

Check the console. Sven Co-op usually prints an info message in console when something goes wrong. Paste the last few rows here.

Console key is the key below ESC and to the left of 1.

Usage:
    Setmaster unavailable, start a server first.
    No detail texture mapping file: maps/ba_yard3_detail.txt
    couldn't exec static.cfg
    Host_Error: ED_LoadFromFile: found origin when expecting {
    That's everything from console

Contributor

It means the game tried to read dynamic game objects (ammunition lying around, breakable objects, etc.) from the level file (.bsp) but found the text "origin" instead of an opening curly brace which defines the start of such an object list. Now, "origin" is the name of a property defining the location of an object (where it is in 3D space). So there actually is game object information in the file, but the game fails to determine where the list starts.

tl;dr This very likely means something is wrong with the level file.

What did you do to install the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    It means the game tried to read dynamic game objects (ammunition lying around, breakable objects, etc.) from the level file (.bsp) but found the text "origin" instead of an opening curly brace which defines the start of such an object list. Now, "origin" is the name of a property defining the location of an object (where it is in 3D space). So there actually is game object information in the file, but the game fails to determine where the list starts.

tl;dr This very likely means something is wrong with the level file.

What did you do to install the game?
    1. Install Half-Life 1
    2. Install SvenCoop
    3. Beat HL Coop
    4. Decide to play Blue Shift
    5. Download Blue Shift
    6. Re-install SvenCoop so it recognizes Blues Shift

Contributor

That sounds about right. I just learned this probably has to do with something on our end. We'll likely supply a hotfix for this when we get it sorted out. Thanks for taking the effort to report this to us.

Nothing to see here. BackAssward's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lissakitty View Post
    6. Re-install SvenCoop so it recognizes Blues Shift
    Btw, you don't need to reinstall Sven Coop after Blue Shift downloads (or Opposing Forces if you have that), just go under all programs->svencoop->options and you will find shortcuts to incorporate Blue Shift and Opposing Forces.

Hello

I have started getting this identical ba_yard3 crash on my HLDS (Sven Potato), i.e. FATAL ERROR (shutting down): Host_Error: ED_LoadFromFile: found origin when expecting {

I don't know what changed, as the server has run the BS maps many, many times previously without issue. I had a quick scan through the map's entity list using BSPedit (V1.7) but couldn't find anything obvious like missing { or }...

I tried a fresh map install/ripent using the svencoop BS support installer, to no effect. I also note that having previously installed BS support properly in the client, loading ba_yard3 in the client as New Game causes the identical crash. Neither server nor client will run the map now..

I notice that some other public Sven servers crash when attempting to load ba_yard3, but notably, Cartman2000's doesn't, and my client connects and runs the map. I'm guessing maybe he fixed it with a local fix, so that it might be an entity issue? Or perhaps it is update related?

Any pointers would be appreciated.. Thanks

The map crashes due to comments in the entity part of the file. You can ripent the map and remove any lines that have // in front of them, if you know how to. I'll try to produce a working .ent file later today or this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    The map crashes due to comments in the entity part of the file. You can ripent the map and remove any lines that have // in front of them, if you know how to. I'll try to produce a working .ent file later today or this week.
    Many thanks Dynamite, that's really helpful. Although it was my first time with ripent, the instructions were very simple. I created the ba_yard3.ent, removed the two lines that were comments (//), saved the ent file again and imported it back into ba_yard3.bsp. I know that it worked, as when I exported a second ent file, the commented lines were gone, however when I tried to run the modified map on either client or server, both crashed as before.. so I failed

If you get a chance to find out what's broken, I would like to know. Thanks again

Tester

Extract the attached 7z archive to your svencoop/maps/ folder and "ripent -import ba_yard3.bsp"

Not sure if this will work but then try playing ba_yard3, if it crashes with some error other than "found '{' expecting xxx",
    then try playing from ba_yard2.bsp (I think the map sequence is ba_yard2, ba_yard3a, ba_yard3b, then ba_yard3).

PS: Please tell us if it works or produces some other error.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

That's great! I confirm that the stock Sven Coop Install_bshift_Support ba_yard3.bsp, when Ripented with your ent, runs perfectly both on client (New Game) and on HLDS (client connected) so good job there!

What did you change, in the ent file? Trying to figure out where I failed..

I know of a couple of the public Sven Server's Admins,I will direct them to this thread; hopefully crashy blue shift will be a thing of the past!

Thanks for your help, Dynamite and Wolf-3D

Quote Originally Posted by BackAssward View Post
    Btw, you don't need to reinstall Sven Coop after Blue Shift downloads (or Opposing Forces if you have that), just go under all programs->svencoop->options and you will find shortcuts to incorporate Blue Shift and Opposing Forces.

For a Steam install, the path to the Blue Shift SP Support Installer could typically be C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Half-Life\svencoop\Install_bshift_Support.bat

The three SP Support installers are:

Install_HLSP_Support.bat
    Install_OpFor_Support.bat
    Install_bshift_Support.bat

There is a problem though - the Support installers need to extract Valve's stock maps from the relevant Game's .gcf file, which the GABEN helpfully deleted during the SteamPipe update. The three files are:

half-life.gcf
    opposing force.gcf
    half-life blue shift.gcf

In order to get the standard SvenCoop SP support installers working, you will have to find copies of the appropriate game's .gcf file (if you didn't back them up before the update - PM if you need them) and place the .gcf in the half-life directory, i.e. the directory above the svencoop directory. Then simply double-click the bat file and check the DoS box for progress. Type Quit at the DoS prompt, then run Sven Coop and select the SP map you want from the New Game menu option.

[I understand that GCFScape works with SteamPipe's .vpk files (.gcf replacement), so it may be possible to install the current Steampipe Blue Shift and extract the maps from the game's vpk, but I can't confirm this.]

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSpark View Post
    That's great! I confirm that the stock Sven Coop Install_bshift_Support ba_yard3.bsp, when Ripented with your ent, runs perfectly both on client (New Game) and on HLDS (client connected) so good job there!

What did you change, in the ent file? Trying to figure out where I failed..

I know of a couple of the public Sven Server's Admins,I will direct them to this thread; hopefully crashy blue shift will be a thing of the past!

Thanks for your help, Dynamite and Wolf-3D
    NP - It was our bad to start with as we must have somehow released a "work in progress" bsp file instead of the tested version.

There were some illogical comments that Invalidated some Entities. (Comments are okay otherwise.) which if present seems to throw the parser code out of sequence. [ Probably a While(condition) { ... } causing a block jump, whereas it should be a Do {...} While(condition) ]
    Regards
    Wolf-3D