Thread: TFT monitor lag coming down

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contributor

Thumbs up TFT monitor lag coming down

Still waiting for DDR4 to pop out in the wild so I can buy all new gaming rig for this. Also there finally are flatscreens with decent response time (hey, it only took you 15 years or so), so I might upgrade from my bulky CRT at last.
    Last edited by AdamR; 17-04-2015 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Sticking thread because that database link is epic

Manager

Re: Natural Selection 2

9ms is the best they've got there Silencer. My current one from 2006 is 4ms, and I've seen 1ms ones about for a while now.
    It's also worth picking one that does 120Hz refresh rate.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Contributor

Re: Natural Selection 2

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    4ms
    Yeah, that's the big lie pretty much. They only refer the panel response time. There is shitloads of tech that does interpolation or other retarded post processing that simply costs time (and even makes the thing more expensive). Without some competitive DDR or UT it probably doesn't matter, anyway. Thing is, i play FAST games, and this shit gave me 10 years of hiatus from any serious FPS-gaming. (If going deeper on this please split from thread)

EDIT: 1 ms? That would mean 1000 Hz refresh rate, which does not exist.
    EDIT: In fact, 9 ms is the best a 60Hz display can possibly give you. 1 sec / 60 = 17.66 ms. Screen refreshes from top to bottom. Top delay: 0 ms. Bottom delay: 17.66 ms. -> Avg. ~9ms. (Maybe take a look at their measuring tech)
    EDIT: Actually split this into its own thread you got me going now.
    Last edited by Silencer; 30-08-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Manager

Re: TFT monitor lag coming down

The Acer HN274H looks pretty good to me, especially with its' 120Hz refresh rate and 11ms tested lag. I would have thought that it would be 1920x1200 though (instead of 1920x1080), as the DVI specifications show a bit of room for it in the throughput. Oh well.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Manager

So Silencer, did you update your monitor after?
    Edit: Also that database has 600Hz monitors on there! REALLY?? :O
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Contributor

I'll build a 3000€ Unreal Tournament battlestation if Epic does the title justice. Right now I'm still too lazy to play games and too unsettled by how things go outdated faster than ever before. But I made a sort of silly oath with Trempler that if the new UT is the bomb we will make a Patreon account and earn money with making UT content rofl.

@600Hz: These have terrible input lag mind you. They have their own GPUs to interpolate frames and are super expensive henceforth.

Manager

And super massive. Can't possibly fit a 50" screen on my desk! Looks like I'll stick to 120Hz then, even the 240Hz ones are big and expensive.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Nothing to see here. BackAssward's Avatar

The Acer HN274H looks pretty good to me, especially with its' 120Hz refresh rate and 11ms tested lag. I would have thought that it would be 1920x1200 though (instead of 1920x1080), as the DVI specifications show a bit of room for it in the throughput. Oh well.
    My understanding is the 1900x1200 is going the way of the dodo (i.e. 16:10). Apparently, with all the push for manufacturing of 16:9 screens for TV's and such, it's cheaper to buy a 16:9 panel to put in a monitor than it is to custom make a 16:10 (though, they still charge the customer as much).
    Last edited by BackAssward; 12-06-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Contributor

@ Adam: Well, likely whatever graphics card you have won't do well above 120 FPS anyway; not in newer games. In fact I'd like to have a GTX 8## for either ultra HD or double framerate setup. It's just not going to be on the market for a while.
    Last edited by Silencer; 12-06-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Manager

I usually hover around 120 FPS on NS2. Obviously dips a bit during intense battles and hits the limit of 200 in places with sod all going on. Not that our eyes can really see much more than 30ish FPS anyways, it's the inconsistent frame time we notice more than lower frame rate.

I'm gonna hold off for a while anyways. This Samsung SyncMaster 214T is still working very well, and it has a fantastic picture quality close to that of a CRT. Cost me £550 back in 2006! Not too bothered that it's 4:3 too (1600x1200).
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Contributor

Not that our eyes can really see much more than 30ish FPS anyways
    Oh this argument. Yes we can already perceive motion at ~17 fps. Yes movies work fine with 24 which is not much more. But I still believe this argument crumbles to shit the instant you are within an interactive context. Don't get me wrong I don't want to fight over this. Just see this as my personal unfaltering opinion.

[...] it's the inconsistent frame time we notice more than lower frame rate.
    Yes. You'd think you'd be fine setting an FPS cap to 30 or so, but then you're not. The amount of time needed per frame still varies, making motions look jerky and changing input behaviour.

Manager

I need a 120hz 27" or 28" monitor.

Contributor

27" can be massive if you sit close enough. Viewing distance is quite the factor.

I look at my 17" 110 dpi screen from 1.1 meters far away with some +0.5 diopter sight deficiency. If I imagined this to have twice the size I believe that would actually be too big to still offer a proper overview lol. So Sniper if you find a good one at 27" or 28" let me know.

Manager

I'm only about 1ft away from mine most of the time. Pretty bad eyesight.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

I upgraded my 24" to 27" and am also only about 1 1/2 feet away. I actually like it for movies and such, gives that theater experience. Of course now that it's been some time since I upgraded, 27" looks small, and going back to 24" would seem like the dark ages...

Contributor

Can't see 1080p on my 42 inch TV, had to admit defeat and go 720p (Scaling is poor in Win 7 and so are other games when scaling is used)

Contributor

My eye sight was quite improved about 6 months after moving the screen further away. Could hardly read any text on it at first, but just kept making small eyes for some time and eventually I didn't need to anymore. I really recommend this change.

Manager

That won't work for nystagmus
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Contributor

Ah right you got that. :< With the display lag down, maybe you can code an eye tracker for a camera and shift the screen image programmatically?

Or for central serous retinopathy. Having an extra lens sitting on my retina, diffusing the incoming light so it can never be completely crisp, is a serious hindrance to the long shots in my pool game. Guess I have to train to become left eye dominant.

Manager

BTW I built a computer for a friend, and opted for a BenQ Xl2720Z. It's pretty damn epic! Colour quality and viewing angle not quite up to my 2006 professional TFT, but it's still likely to be my monitor of choice if this one ever dies.

Doesn't look like any >1080p screens are getting good lag ratings though... not ones >60Hz too anyway.
    Last edited by AdamR; 26-10-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Contributor

This is very interesting:
    http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Performan...pr_product_top
    144Hz without the added uprice of 3D panel. 10ms lag at 60Hz according to displaylag, so probably even better value at 144. (It's going to fucking suck for image editing or anything of the like though; check your priorities)

Manager

Saw that a week ago on the list so I did check it out, I still prefer the Xl2720Z.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Manager

Looks like this database is slipping out of date. Nothing from late 2015 on there, nothing from 2016 on there.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Contributor

Well what to expect. These guys do it for free and they don't exactly get a lot of free test samples.

Played the Unreal Torunament Pre-Alpha by the way. New battlestation definitely incoming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast