Thread: Vluzacn's ZHLT v33 Update

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v33 Update

^ Same here.
    Random question - Is it possible to cover a brush set with a certain texture brush to make that set render like a model? (increasing fps)

Also, what does ClipBevel , ClipBevelBrush and NoClip texture do?

Quote Originally Posted by vluzacn View Post
    It's impossible to do it on scrolling textures without glitches
    I'd still want it even if it was buggy since it'd have some use regardless. I'd also like to see it available on water textures.

Quote Originally Posted by vluzacn View Post
    and animated textures may take up a lot of space, do you really want that?
    We live in an age of quad core processors with multiple gigabytes of memory and 1 TB+ hard drives. I don't think a few extra megabytes of texture usage is going to matter, especially since SC5 is going to have ridiculous map limits.

Registered User LightningTerror's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    I'd still want it even if it was buggy since it'd have some use regardless. I'd also like to see it available on water textures.

We live in an age of quad core processors with multiple gigabytes of memory and 1 TB+ hard drives. I don't think a few extra megabytes of texture usage is going to matter, especially since SC5 is going to have ridiculous map limits.
    Agreed and besides users can optionally enable or disable it on scrolling textures , separated from "zhlt_embedlightmap" a different option on it's own.

hey vluzacn, iam hope u still want to release a new version of your compilers.

i have a question too. is it possible, that the compiler build a correct lightmap, if the shadows of two breakables (with light_shadow) entities are overlapping?
    here is a example for better understanding:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light_shadow.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	429.3 KB 
ID:	16203

maybe there is a way to tell the compiler to build a "blank" or correct lightmap at the spot of overlapping shadows. it would be fantastic if this works with multiple togglable entites.

Registered User LightningTerror's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post

i have a question too. is it possible, that the compiler build a correct lightmap, if the shadows of two breakables (with light_shadow) entities are overlapping?

maybe there is a way to tell the compiler to build a "blank" or correct lightmap at the spot of overlapping shadows. it would be fantastic if this works with multiple togglable entites.
    You could add 4 instead of 2 shadows and make it so that they don't overlap each other.

yeah, i had this idea too. i did not have the time to test it, but i suspect the shadow calculation is too inaccurate and the edges of the brushshadows will overlap maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Stojke View Post
    ^ Same here.
    Random question - Is it possible to cover a brush set with a certain texture brush to make that set render like a model? (increasing fps)

Also, what does ClipBevel , ClipBevelBrush and NoClip texture do?
    Don't know what makes models renders so fast. Maybe because they only have triangle faces? I don't think I can do anything with that.

ClipBevel can be used on a Clip brush. It modifies the "distance" of the face that it's applied to.
    ClipBevelBrush additionally sets every face to bevel.
    NoClip removes the clip information contained in the brush. It is the same as the zhlt_noclip flag on entities, except it operates on individual brushes.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post

I had some thought on it. It's possible to do it this way:
    We add a simplified version of this feature. Only the average color of the lightmap is added to the texture. All the faces that have the same texture name and are connected to each other and in the same "smoothing group" will use the same color. Basically it's an automated version of creating textures with different brightness.

This will solve the problem of water and scrolling textures. Because water textures must be 64x64 or 128x128 according to HLSDK, and we don't want the lightmap to scroll with the scrolling textures.

Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post

Generally I would suggest just to use one light_shadow in one place (or give the two light_shadow the same name), because we have the limit of 32 toggleable light styles in total and 3 dynamic light styles on a single face. But I can imagine there are some interesting use cases similar to this, so maybe I can include it in the next version.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123