Thread: v5.0 Progress Report

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Manager

v5.0 Progress Report

As we inch closer to launching Sven Co-op on Steam, I’d like to provide an update on our progress with the game. Since this upcoming release is important for us to get right, we’ve been taking extra time over the past few months to really get our ducks in a row. Even so, our team members have run into delays from real-life™. However, now that summer is over, things are picking up again. The team has been working full-force on getting major milestones accomplished for the launch.

I’m going to discuss a few upcoming major features in v5.0. These aren't all of our upcoming features, but they will be fairly important to v5.0’s release. Please bear in mind that we will be continuously updating the game after v5.0 is complete.

Upcoming Major Features in v5.0

The Angelscript Scripting Language

Sven Co-op v5.0 will feature the Angelscript scripting language. Angelscript is a powerful scripting language which models itself around the C/C++ language, minus the memory management headaches. If you're good at programming C, C++, Javascript, PHP, or other similar languages out there, you can jump right in.  

That said, this is the most groundbreaking feature coming to the next release. If you’re wondering what the big deal is – well, let me explain by providing the following video:

Well, there you have it. It’s that big of a deal.

Okay, so, now you're wondering what this will allow for... 

Map Scripting

Angelscript will allow mappers to change almost every aspect of the game. It's possible to create game entities, implement new styles of gameplay, trigger events, process and control NPCs, and much more. Each map will have the potential to be a "mod within a mod" allowing for the ultimate level of customization. 

Server Plugins

In v5.0, we will be bundling our own server administration toolset. A set of official plugins will be provided, but you can write your own using Angelscript. If you've ever used AdminMod or AMX Mod X, the transition should be pretty easy to follow. While it will be experimental at launch, we will eventually be recommending Server Administrators switch over to this new toolset as we stabilize on functionality and features. Sven Co-op's server administration toolset will have more integration points with the game, which should allow for the creation of more interesting and useful plugins. 

We’ve made a lot of progress getting Angelscript up and running with all thanks to our new programmer Sam "SoloKiller" Vanheer. Sam joins the programming team after being an active beta tester for many years. His current primary role is technical lead for Angelscript.

I personally look forward to seeing what the community can do with these new found powers.  We'll have more information regarding Sven Co-op's scripting documentation in the future, but for now I would recommend you start browsing the scripting language overview here to get an idea.

Scaled Model Support

NPCs can now be scaled during the game at any time. The AI and the Half-Life engine have been updated to account for scaling of hitboxes, eye positions, collision hull sizes, effect locations, and more. If you scale an NPC up, they’ll be able to see over obstacles, move faster, and jump down from greater heights (because they’re giants). If you scale an NPC down, they’ll be able to get into smaller areas, find cover from shorter objects, and move slower (because they’re tiny). Basically, scaling an NPC up or down has inherent advantages and disadvantages which will make for some interesting gameplay. We look forward to seeing what the community makes with it!

Streamlined Difficulty Settings & Modifiable Entity Attributes

We’ve heard things loud and clear from the community. We’re in the process of addressing difficulty levels with NPCs and Players. We’ve cut out the fat from the skill system and added a few new features in the process.

Half-Life’s numerous skill values for each NPC made balancing a difficult task. To address this, we’ve removed the “skill 1”, “skill 2”, and “skill 3” settings from the core skill configuration file. For older levels that relied on these custom skill values, they will continue to work through a backwards compatibility design that relies on the map’s specified skill level. Furthermore, "skill levels" can continue to be used if the map author wishes for their map.

In the process of updating the skill system to be more streamlined and fair, we have added new values to existing game entities (mainly for NPCs).  Each entity will gain the ability to change their damage values in real-time through the use of per-entity attribute settings. Since each NPC or Weapon can have their own unique damage values, this allows for all sorts of gameplay possibilities.

A few quick examples could be:

• Attack waves / tower defense (difficulty increases each wave)
    • Boss monsters
    • Class based weapons – Players of a certain class might spawn with the same weapon as their team mate, but have a higher degree of accuracy and/or damage.
    • Tech trees - Individual players can research upgrades that increase or decrease damage and health.

Current Changelog

Without further ado, here is our preliminary v5.0 changelog. We’ll post a more up-to-date version of the changelog as we get closer to launch.

http://www.svencoop.com/changelog_5.0_preview_20140926.php 

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the forums.

Be sure to check back next week for more updates on v5.0. We have a few more things in store.

Re: v5.0 Progress Report

Oh boy.

Now we will get Gonomes instead of headcrabs in vents.
    Sven Co-op - Player, enthusiast, alien-reaper, Shotgun-lover
    Sven Co-op Forums - Addict, spam-hater, playing 5.0 a lot
    In-game name - Delacroix

It's truly beyond belief what immense amount of development and changes have been made in Sven Co-op throughout the years I've played. It's great to see that the developers have access to the Goldsrc engine to make Half-Life an even more incredible game. Great job! Thanks for this update. Staying as a big fan of Sven Co-op as always
    Thanks,
    Terrum.

http://www.epichosts.co.uk - Get a Sven Co-op 5 Server with 32 slots for only £5.99/$9 a month!

Awesome news. Can we expect a linux version too? (considering HL is natively out for linux)

If so, when? (same time as windows?)

Waiting...

Half-Life campaign
    Half-Life: Blue Shift campaign
    Half-Life: Opposing Force campaign

Removed installation/un-installation scripts: All maps included with permission.
    It will be completely free (all these campaigns) ? Is not that a bit weird If HL/OF/BS is still buyable?

Awesome!

You've worked over 10 years for something that brings joy and fun to the others, for free, and still going!

Can't thank enough for that !
    Last edited by Vanski; 27-09-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Amazing! I just can't wait to hear more from you guys.

Manager

Keep in mind that if you want to see a lot of new maps with the new features, someone will have to create the maps. So now is a good time to pick up a new hobby and get some practice in

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by 19941994ra View Post
    Now we will get Gonomes instead of headcrabs in vents.
    hahaha I hadn't thought of that. Players will crap their pants. I guess you can also have a barnacle the size of a fingernail devour a soldier the size of an elephant.

Quote Originally Posted by ceribik View Post
    Awesome news. Can we expect a linux version too? (considering HL is natively out for linux) If so, when? (same time as windows?)
    Not likely to be for some time. We don't have a Linux programming team.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuraj View Post
    It will be completely free (all these campaigns) ? Is not that a bit weird If HL/OF/BS is still buyable?
    The permission agreement is that the campaign maps are modified to the extent that you can't play through all of them alone.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Just another co-op player Maestro Fénix's Avatar

Pretty cool seeing a GoldSrc mod having those features.

Here we go again

Manager

Just in case anyone missed them, there are a couple of other features that are especially worth noticing:

- New inventory system by using the new entity item_inventory, which is an item that a player holds on to for trigger rules and/or side-effects.

- Player weapons/ammunition can now be carried across map changes. (if a map wants to do this)

Awesome so when do you guys expect svencoop 5.0 will come out? i can't wait for it to come out #svencoopstandalone

This is good, i congratulate everyone for their work and understand the delay,
    clarify this doubt in allocblock limit is still 64? perhaps said in the changelog and had not understood.
    Vive la vida segundo a segundo recuerda que todo los problemas tiene solucion se feliz.

Absolutely fantastic stuff, we will surely enter a new age of excitement and invigoration upon the release of this version.

Champion of the Seventh Archive RothGelen's Avatar

Maybe I will start mapping.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by RothGelen View Post
    Maybe I will start mapping.
    Maybe I will stop quitting mapping.

Insane, seriously, you really deserve every single bit of praise you can get.

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by ComunidadX View Post
    This is good, i congratulate everyone for their work and understand the delay,
    clarify this doubt in allocblock limit is still 64? perhaps said in the changelog and had not understood.
    allocblock is a difficult one to test in isolation (It is the sum of many things and And the compiler value was only "a guess" of the engines value (It is/was for reference purposes only).

With the new SDK, I have gone to 101 without problems in either "compiler" or "SC 5.0" Gameplay.

The real limit is what SC 5.0 can safely cope with. Hence we require new mega maps to find these exact limits and trace any problems/bugs.

A new SDK test compile I did:
    Object names Objects/Maxobjs Memory / Maxmem Fullness
    ------------ --------------- --------------- --------
    models 332/4096 21248/262144 ( 8.1%)
    planes 13706/65536 274120/1310720 (20.9%)
    vertexes 40663/65535 487956/786420 (62.0%)
    nodes 13619/65536 326856/1572864 (20.8%)
    texinfos 5765/32767 230600/1310680 (17.6%)
    faces 29026/65535 580520/1310700 (44.3%)
    * worldfaces 23708/65535 0/0 (36.2%)
    clipnodes 31985/65536 255880/524288 (48.8%)
    leaves 8641/65536 241948/1835008 (13.2%)
    * worldleaves 5611/65536 0/0 ( 8.6%)
    marksurfaces 37137/65535 74274/131070 (56.7%)
    surfedges 137969/512000 551876/2048000 (26.9%)
    edges 69271/256000 277084/1024000 (27.1%)
    texdata [variable] 3352912/67108864 ( 5.0%)
    lightdata [variable] 4285044/67108864 ( 6.4%)
    visdata [variable] 1344700/67108864 ( 2.0%)
    entdata [variable] 283763/2097152 (13.5%)
    allocblock 101/64 0/0 (157.8%)

You should be able to work out the the theoretical new max by looking at the "multiplier factors" of each category but that assumes a perfect release in terms the SC code limits matching the new custom Engine limits and no memory leaks. (The Standard HL code is full of Memory leaks and one the reasons you could be at 50/64 allocbloc for the compiler but would get "Error: Max Alloc Exceeded" when you tried to run your map, whereas another map could be 64/64 and run without any problems. Some entities leaked, others didn't.)

On the plus side, as the Dev's have gone through the SC & custom Engine to update new limits, they did spot a number of "previously unknown" memory leaks. (see changelog.)
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

i hope some new NPC like :
    baniel
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	15939
    panther eye
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red_Panther_Eye_model.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	15940
    ---->azure sheep coop

I would like if you guys could fix up the media player. You cant lower the sound effects down separately from the music. By lowering sound effects bar, you lower the bar for sound effects AND the music. It's a bit annoying considering you can't listen to music without getting your ears full of screaming and pain (a typical bar fight). Steam has released their own music player which might make the in-game one obsolete. But, that's up to you to decide. Personally, I would be glad if you fixed it. Btw, I really like the progress going on at 5.0 Finally would my friends be able to play it without needing Hλlf-Life.

Contributor

I believe this is tested for Version 5 Cpl, as long as you mean in game sounds.
    Just tested in Stadium with a war going on and the music volume for me is separate from the in game sounds

Manager

There is a setting for mp3 volume in the main options menu and a setting for music volume in the media player. If you haven't already, try increasing the media player volume.

straight from the changelog(preview changelog).
    "Fixed some rare cases of dead players becoming ghosts."
    wha?....

Anyway, i like the idea of a limited inventory , especially this one at optional properties:
    "Alternative model skin/body/sequence."
    dressing a player with bunny ears would be fun...

I just tested it. I couldn't mute the game sound effect's without muting in game media player music too. Moving mp3 music bar in options menu didn't help a bit.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast