Thread: A Thread of New Backgrounds

Contributor

A Thread of New Backgrounds

Its been like years since i did any new background, mainly because how shitty the process is to make them on steam goldsrc, but anyway.

This was made from Black mesa area Streamfox originally did and which i continued a little.

Note that i didnt made to finish any new menu theme yet, i recommend putting in some very "techy" sounding electronic music (mainly ambient or IDM etc.)
    since the 4.0 menu tune is godawful and doesnt fit with this one at all imho

Also includes the sven logo sprt did because i love it

Download (Includes versions for 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratios)

Nothing to see here. BackAssward's Avatar

Re: A Thread of New Backgrounds

I do like the wavy aspect. But from my perspective (maybe it's just my eyes/mind): but my brain keeps trying to focus the center-to-left part, which it can't do. It kinda gives me a headache.

I think if a fully blurry part is to be there, it should be on the right, since we (in western cultures) read left-to-right. If we find a blurry sport early on, it will be a negative.

It's totally fine at my end. No brain damage. A well made background.

Edit: Few Eastern cultures gonna love em.

Contributor

some song suggestions that might fit in idk, mightaswell share what i thought of using

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYov8M0Hd-s
    especially 0:30 onwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvsk2XAcs1I

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OSz8bePMDA

embed doesnt work again, how great is that
    Last edited by RNG; 27-09-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Artist

The logo have been made by sprt right? Has it ever been considered to become the new Sven Co-op logo?
    It kinds of break the old lambda logo (that we should get rid of), but still giving a glimpse of it. So people are not confused.

Back to the background- I like it, thought I strongly believe we should find an alternative to the map/3D render backgrounds. Sven Co-op is supposed to become a platform, a game with endless customisation possibilities. Why would we decorate the menu with a Black Mesa map? Or with Gordon awkwardly fighting an alien, or with anything else?

If we're going for this option, lets make it an animated background with pictures of many different maps then? To show the game's horizon is wide and full of varieties. So yeah, you'll get it, the menu is the first thing the players are going to see, It has to be neutral in my opinion.

Contributor

i totally wouldnt mind a real time rendering of maps as background. tho it should be greatly optimized someway, so it doesnt take more to load than the game does now.

i keep remembering those times of spending 15 minutes starting hl2. also what if there could be some different overlays, most noticeable one being that kind of blue which i have in that background i released.

Sometimes it like takes 3 minutes to actually load up the menu. But it's probably my laptop's fault, while it can load up ROTT with all that fancy background animations pretty quick.

Contributor

oh yea ROTT had one, that was fast as hell. also that apogee intro is something you dont wanna skip ever.

people dont know what theyre missing for not buying that game

I would love that to be the new background. But you need to put v50 or something like that if you want it in the game some time.

Contributor

i find that just redundant, there is so many better ways to implement version number in the menu if have to. also sven doesnt even update nearly that often that youd really need one. tho maybe it will be needed in 5.0 but not in way of carving it in background lol, instead a small text on the bottom of the menu like on every other game

Registered User Shotgun Surgeon's Avatar

I likey. brb downloading and using
    BOOKER, CATCH!

i wanna see a remake of the svencoop 3.0 background :P