Thread: [Feature request] Multiple texture light values for the same texture

Manager

[Feature request] Multiple texture light values for the same texture

I sometimes have the problem that I would like to have different lamps/brushes in the map to give off a different color or intensity of lighting than other lamps/brushes with the same texture. However, to accomplish this I have to duplicate the texture and add a new lights.rad entry, and I have to keep track of these things later if I want to change anything. This can be a bit of a hassle.

A way to accomplish this feature and make it easy to specify individual light values for each light, would be to add a setting to func_wall that lets you specify the light value for any texture lights on the brush. Only textures listed in the .rad file would actually give off light, though.

Would this be possible to add?

Contributor

Re: [Feature request] Multiple texture light values for the same texture

Better: Override specific textures, e.g. key "zhlt_texlightoverride#" with # from 1 upwards, value "mytexture 250 100 20 600". This might be quite good for controlling ambient light levels also.

Tester

... new lights.rad entry, and I have to keep track of these things later if I want to change anything. This can be a bit of a hassle.
    Use entity info_texlights, then any texlight changes you make become map specific.

You will need to keep wad files with "re-named duplicate textures" but you won't have to keep track of "map specific compile settings".

I would however make a copy of your lights.rad (for reference purposes) but then delete or empty the original so that you don't "by habit" edit it and confuse yourself. (Settings in info_textlights take precedence over light.rad but they are both read by VL's compilers).

Edit: Just re-read you Post Silencer, and noticed "key", it this a Smart Edit Key (not yet in fgd) then ?
    (Nih, if so go with Silencers solution.)
    Last edited by wolf-3d; 29-09-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

This is possible with the current compile tools. There are three ways to define texture lights: .rad file, info_texlights and light_surface. And light_surface can do this, here's an example: (scroll the page down to the first picture) http://twhl.info/forums.php?thread=17830&page=2

Manager

Awesome

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by vluzacn View Post
    This is possible with the current compile tools. There are three ways to define texture lights: .rad file, info_texlights and light_surface. And light_surface can do this, here's an example: (scroll the page down to the first picture) http://twhl.info/forums.php?thread=17830&page=2
    It seems like the color used for light_surface is taken as the average color value of the texture used. Is there any way to be able to specify the color yourself?

Manager

light_surface allows you to override color averaging by specifying an RGB value for the keyvalue "_texcolor"